[OBIT]Walter Cronkite

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Newsman Walter Cronkite has died. He was 92.

I grew up listening to Walter Cronkite and Huntley & Brinkley. This makes me very sad. Kronkite was a true journalist, a reporter of the highest standards. He reported the news with the facts and let his listeners interpret for themselves. We never knew his politics until long after he retired.

In a time when newsreaders have replaced reporters and talking heads speak whatever they see on the teleprompter, Cronkite set a standard they will never be able to achieve. He will be missed.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cronkite.

Last edited:
RIP Mr. Cronkite. I may have been too young to hear you read the news first hand, but I certainly respect your legacy in journalism and your reputation for being a great human being.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I grew up listening to his calm reporting of the news. He was a pioneer and he has been sorely missed since he retired from broadcasting.

RIP

Rest in peace, Walter. Even though we now have 24-hour cable news channels, your dignified brand of journalism doesn't exist today...and are not likely to be seen again. :(

[Part of Cronkite's closing comments on his final CBS Evening News broadcast in the early 1980s]: "...You see, anchormen never fade away; they just keep coming back for more."

"...And that's the way it is..."

Cronkite was a great journalist and a fine man. He was missed as a journalist and will be missed as a man.

He did have a long life full of achievements at the highest level and to all accounts had a wonderful marriage and a life filled with strong friendships. If we could all have that at the end of our lives, we would consider it most blessed.

My condolences go out to family and many friends.