[OBIT]Robin Williams dead of apparent suicide at age 63

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Statement from his publicist:

Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.
I saw Robin Williams at the Purple Onion in SF years ago, He always made me laugh. His appearances on all the various late-night talk shows are classic TV. He was truly a comic genius who also lit up the screen in a variety of movie roles. He will be greatly missed.

RIP, Mr. Williams.

Last edited:
My Grandfather met Robin Williams-it was about six months before Mork and Mindy, and he, along with 21 other people from his college class, had to do an interview with Williams, who would play out a different character for each of them. He had to do the class in order to get a job with a radio station (he later became the DJ at KZAP). It was amazing-he went seamlessly from character to character, voice to voice, and nailed all of them. My grandfather got "dejected", so Williams would look at his feet and mumble for every question, while my grandfather would try to get a straight answer from him.

Other than that, though, this man made me laugh nearly every time I saw him on a screen. His improvisational skills were the stuff of legend. Hollywood lost one of it's all-time greats today.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Went through his filmography to grab some of the bad ones, but kept being reminded of the great ones I forgot. Mork and Mindy perhaps my first favorite television show. Just stunning for me because when people make it into their late 50s and 60s you feel like they have conquered their demons.

I've been listening to a lot of stand up lately and I remember him having some great stand up bits too, on top of everything else.