Now that we know the draft order, who do we draft? (New thread)

Given that Kings need to get a franchise level guy and a can't miss prospect, I still think they will try and trade up to get Fultz. Fingers crossed they can pull it off.
I don't see the Kings trading up. A lot of posters do see it, or it's what they want to see, but I don't see anything said by Vlade or his team to suggest they want to trade up. I think it's more likely that Vlade is confident in his team's ability to snatch two quality players with the 5 & 10 picks. And given our need for talent, isn't that the path forward?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I changed the idea to two picks and also added Aminu.

The potential to not only sign 1 big time free agent but two while keeping both Lillard & McCollum is the type of risk you make to try and become a title contender. Waiting around for some mid to late draft picks to develop while your stars are in their prime is not a viable strategy. If they wiff in free agency, they wiff. Move Lillard & McCollum for some young assets.

Let's face it. portland is in a tough spot. They need a couple things to happen if they want to become a contender. They need Nurkic & Vonleh to become great players, they need to get lucky enough to draft a great player with their mid to late 1sts, or they need to create cap space with the hope that a couple of stars/great players would want to come team up with Lillard & McCollum. My strategy not only allows them to see what they have in Nurkic & Vonleh but it also gives them the flexibility to sign some big time FAs.

Having a rookie PG & Temple as the only PGs is really not that much of a concern to me. In a way, it can be seen as an indirect tank which we should be doing this next year to add yet another excellent prospect.

I've heard that they are opening up the roster to 17 with 2 of them being able to be in the D-League, so this plan would coincide with that.

I don't care that cap flexibility would be limited. It's a pipe dream to think we would be signing anyone of significance to come here. You might as well take the extra value/talent now and have these contracts come off the books when your team should be starting to come together. Then at that point, we hopefully are a more competitive team, culture has been changed, the reputation has been forgotten, and we look much more attractive in FA.
It's not that the Kings will add an impact free agent. It's that it handcuffs them completely for three years just to get a mid/late 1st round pick. You can't talk about what a tough spot Portland is in and then turn around and convince me that it's a great idea to put the Kings in the exact same spot.

He's far more talented and a complete player for sure. I still have questions about his commitment on D and his low FT% but I think he's far and away the safest pick with the most advanced game and fewest holes.

One thing that's hard to judge is his passion for the game. He seems to be a gym rat but his playing style makes it seem like he's not always playing hard.
yea and his personality isn't my favorite from what I've seen

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't think that's enough for Fultz man.
#5, #10, the rights to perhaps the best player in Europe, and a young center with great size and athleticism who just turned it on at the end of last season?

That's more than enough for Fultz. In fact, I'd say it's way too much for Fultz. Fultz absolutely has to turn out to be John Wall value or better for that offer to even make sense, and I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I don't see that. I mean, Fultz looks like he's going to be good, and I understand that there's a reason that people are drooling over Fultz, but he led the Huskies to an 0-13 finish and a 2-17 in-conference record (counting the Pac-12 tournament) and an RPI of 210. Their most impressive victory came against RPI #99 Colorado at home, and they needed OT to get that. They had exactly one more win over teams with an RPI under 200 (#174 Western Michigan, also at home) on the season. Now I know you can throw some shade at teammates and coach, but he was the leader of that team, and they were downright terrible for all the stats he put up. I am far from convinced on Fultz.

It's not that the Kings will add an impact free agent. It's that it handcuffs them completely for three years just to get a mid/late 1st round pick. You can't talk about what a tough spot Portland is in and then turn around and convince me that it's a great idea to put the Kings in the exact same spot.
It's not "a" pick. Just want to make sure you're clear on that.

And what is wrong with being "handcuffed" from a cap perspective if you're not going to be able to sign anyone significant? We'd have #5, #7, #20, #34, 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, Hield, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, & Papagiannis as the future.

Ahh but it's not the exact same spot! Do we have two stars in their prime right now (Lillard - 27, McCollum - 26)? We absolutely do not. We're in no rush to try and surround star players with more help. We can be patient and forego our cap flexibility (especially if it brings back more youth/picks and especially if we're not going to be close to competitive in a few years) without it hurting our future.

#5, #10, the rights to perhaps the best player in Europe, and a young center with great size and athleticism who just turned it on at the end of last season?

That's more than enough for Fultz. In fact, I'd say it's way too much for Fultz. Fultz absolutely has to turn out to be John Wall value or better for that offer to even make sense, and I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I don't see that. I mean, Fultz looks like he's going to be good, and I understand that there's a reason that people are drooling over Fultz, but he led the Huskies to an 0-13 finish and a 2-17 in-conference record (counting the Pac-12 tournament) and an RPI of 210. Their most impressive victory came against RPI #99 Colorado at home, and they needed OT to get that. They had exactly one more win over teams with an RPI under 200 (#174 Western Michigan, also at home) on the season. Now I know you can throw some shade at teammates and coach, but he was the leader of that team, and they were downright terrible for all the stats he put up. I am far from convinced on Fultz.
Ok you don't see him as a franchise guy, that's fine.

As of now there are quite a few people who do. I think if we had the 3 instead of the 5 it may be possible, and I mean may. Total control of a possible franchise level talent for 8 years is gonna cost big time.

This is one of those cases where maybe you say pshhhh no thanks, but what you are offering wouldn't be accepted either.

Does anyone like OG at 10 if we got Fox at 5?

Looks real tough, finishes well at the basket, scrappy.

Could see him breaking down the defenses driving and looking to dish to skal or WCS or finishing himself.

Needs a couple of percentage points more of a 3.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Does anyone like OG at 10 if we got Fox at 5?

Looks real tough, finishes well at the basket, scrappy.

Could see him breaking down the defenses driving and looking to dish to skal or WCS or finishing himself.

Needs a couple of percentage points more of a 3.
I want the Kings to bring in Harry Giles for a workout, he seems intriguing, despite the injury history so far.

I think IF we move up, it's with Philly for a Jackson - Monk swap. I also wouldn't mortgage to much to move up period. We can take BPA at 5 and also fill an actual need at either PG or SF without giving up anything.

You give away assets and put all the eggs in one basket, where are you if that player has a career altering injury? It's improbable but not impossible.

If we can move up to grab Jackson within reason and the FO feels he fits the vision they have, I can see that happening.

I think it unlikely we move to 1st because what Boston would want is, to me, going to be too much and too risky.

According to Steve Kyler f basketball insiders, someone asked him on twitter about DSJ and supposed possible problems with him. He ripped the NC State program as a poopoo show last year. Said the main problem was the program.

I think we will need to take along hard look at DSJ as he may be the best option for us at 5..... And that includes Fox being available also.....not a knock against Fox but more of a promotion of DSJ.
Smith may not be there or Fox - there may not be a choice indeed.

@Iced Espresso

If we grab Fox (or Smith) at 5, and Isaac is gone at 10, then OG has to be heavily considered. I wouldn't be unhappy with Collins at 10 but it creates possible wrinkles. I am not sold on Markannen as helping us. Not at this stage of a rebuild. Not a lights out shooter with only potential to get better in basically every other facet of his game. Lastly, not at his size/position. If your going to grab a big where we are stronger than elsewhere, you grab one with all around talents.

If not for his injury I would be wholeheartedly advocating for OG at 10 if we take a guard at 5. A lot hinges on his health. I know most don't see him amounting to much offensively, but I disagree. It depends how your trying to play.

OG takes smart shots if there, and was good in fast breaks, often caused by his defense. We want up tempo ball moving offense precipitated by stifling defensive pressure? Then you add Fox and OG to WCS,Skal and Buddy. I am biased towards this scenario so feel free to dismiss :)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It appears that the Kings will be holding their first workout tomorrow, May 18th. Most of the players invited appear to be players in play for the Kings 2nd round pick. Here's the list:

Wesley Iwundu (G – 6’7” 205 lbs.) Kansas State
Brynton Lemar (G – 6’4” 195 lbs.) UC Davis
Landen Lucas (C – 6’10” 240 lbs.) Kansas
Eric Mika (C – 6’10” 233 lbs.) BYU
Naz Mitrou-Long (G – 6’4” 203 lbs.) Iowa State
Tai Webster (G – 6’4” 188 lbs.) Nebraska

One player of note that I like is Wesley Iwundu. Great size for a SG whose able to play some SF as well.

@Iced Espresso

If we grab Fox (or Smith) at 5, and Isaac is gone at 10, then OG has to be heavily considered. I wouldn't be unhappy with Collins at 10 but it creates possible wrinkles. I am not sold on Markannen as helping us. Not at this stage of a rebuild. Not a lights out shooter with only potential to get better in basically every other facet of his game. Lastly, not at his size/position. If your going to grab a big where we are stronger than elsewhere, you grab one with all around talents.

If not for his injury I would be wholeheartedly advocating for OG at 10 if we take a guard at 5. A lot hinges on his health. I know most don't see him amounting to much offensively, but I disagree. It depends how your trying to play.

OG takes smart shots if there, and was good in fast breaks, often caused by his defense. We want up tempo ball moving offense precipitated by stifling defensive pressure? Then you add Fox and OG to WCS,Skal and Buddy. I am biased towards this scenario so feel free to dismiss :)
Oh I like it.

If Isaac is gettable in a not so costly move up, or at 10 you take him because of his high ceiling.

But if its not possible to get Isaac, and the team doctors give you the thumbs up OG intrigues me.

We could use a tough guy on the floor.

Going out on a limb here. If Fox is there at 5 take him and the PG problem is addressed. From what I know now of Fox I like a lot.
At 10 most likely Isaac is gone so we have not filled our SF need. I would be fine with Zach Collins and figure out a way to fill the SF position outside of the draft or see what Detroit thinks about trading up two spots to get the guy they want.
Stanley Johnson has been brought up before to mixed opinions but the 10th and consideration for the 12th and Stanley makes some sense. We could then go for a player like OG without so much worry about his injury history. Both known for their defense both good size. Let the better man get the majority of the minutes.

Not sure if its been discussed but what if Lonzo Ball happens to free fall because of his dad, do we pass him up at 5 because we dont want that type of spotlight anymore or do you not let a talent like ball slip past 5?

So many options and calculations, and as always, a lot of surprises at draft night. So i won't hit my head at the wall too much before that, or however you say that :D
Realistically, Fox is our #5 pick and it would be great in my opinion. I watched that guy a lot this year, and really liked him. If he raises his outside shooting ability at another level, he could be a star. Point guard position is our priority at this draft, so why taking a risks? But, we do need a SF as well, so if somehow Josh Jackson falls to 5th, and Fox is still available, then i would have to think twice. Those two are my favourites (beside Ball) in this draft generation, so i hope one of them will be free at #5. I'm "not sold" (as you say here :D ) at Tatum at all.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Not sure if its been discussed but what if Lonzo Ball happens to free fall because of his dad, do we pass him up at 5 because we dont want that type of spotlight anymore or do you not let a talent like ball slip past 5?
The Kings should not pass on Lonzo Ball at 5, if they are lucky enough for him to fall there. In fact, if for some reason he is available at three, the Kings should try very hard to trade up with Philly and take him.

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express tweeted word out of LA is Ball is heavy favorite at 2nd pick, but will take a hard look at Fox and are hoping for a head to head workout.

fwiw

That's a really weird message coming from LA. No chance Ball agrees to head-to-head workout. Are they trying to fade the hype on the hometown kid by saying he's not competitive enough? Makes me wonder if they are really leaning Fox or Jackson.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's not "a" pick. Just want to make sure you're clear on that.
The net result of your trade (other than adding Turner, Crabbe, Aminu, Leonard and Harkless - none of whom I want at all) is moving up from #10 to #7 and getting #20.

And what is wrong with being "handcuffed" from a cap perspective if you're not going to be able to sign anyone significant? We'd have #5, #7, #20, #34, 2018 1st, 2018 2nd, Hield, Bogdanovic, Richardson, Labissiere, Cauley-Stein, & Papagiannis as the future.
Well, it's a stretch to say we'd "have" Bogdanovic if there's only $4.1 million in caproom left to sign him with. But even if that's the case, the issue would be that it makes it harder to complete any trades when you're at the salary cap limit. A mismatched roster with one rookie point guard with no backup and four shooting guards is one that needs flexibility to trade pieces and this would damage that. It also means having to cut a player next season (likely meaning dead cap for years) just to be able to sign the rookie drafted in 2018. Rebuilding teams should use caproom to absorb bad contracts in exchange for assets but blowing it all in one fell swoop for #15 and #20 in a draft that isn't particularly deep and hamstringing the team for three years seems excessive to say the least.

twslam07 said:
Ahh but it's not the exact same spot! Do we have two stars in their prime right now (Lillard - 27, McCollum - 26)? We absolutely do not. We're in no rush to try and surround star players with more help. We can be patient and forego our cap flexibility (especially if it brings back more youth/picks and especially if we're not going to be close to competitive in a few years) without it hurting our future.
To me this makes it much worse. At least Portland has a core to build around. The Kings would be using up all of their caproom, making it harder to make deals going forward, and locking themselves into a roster and generally getting into a tough position without even having a clear direction going forward.[/quote]

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a really weird message coming from LA. No chance Ball agrees to head-to-head workout. Are they trying to fade the hype on the hometown kid by saying he's not competitive enough? Makes me wonder if they are really leaning Fox or Jackson.
Most top prospects won't agree to go head-to-head but it's an especially bad idea for a player like Ball whose calling card is playmaking.

The Kings should not pass on Lonzo Ball at 5, if they are lucky enough for him to fall there. In fact, if for some reason he is available at three, the Kings should try very hard to trade up with Philly and take him.
I think if Ball is there at 3 Philly jumps on him. He's a great playmaker but can work with or without the ball and isn't horribly ball dominant. And his shot is funky but very effective. He'd be almost ideal with Simmons and Embiid. I thought if the Sixers jumped into the top two and the Lakers fell out giving Philly their pick that Ball and Monk would be a near perfect backcourt for them.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I think if Ball is there at 3 Philly jumps on him. He's a great playmaker but can work with or without the ball and isn't horribly ball dominant. And his shot is funky but very effective. He'd be almost ideal with Simmons and Embiid. I thought if the Sixers jumped into the top two and the Lakers fell out giving Philly their pick that Ball and Monk would be a near perfect backcourt for them.
Well, it sounds like Philly is kind of deadset at trying Simmons at literal PG on the offensive side. If so, then Monk becomes even more perfect for them, as a great shooter from the 2 who then slips over to guard the 1 on the defensive end (because Simmons will have to switch up). While you can never have too many passers, the Sixers might well be wasting Ball's skills if they want to essentially play him as a 2. But Monk at #3 is probably a bit of a reach, whereas maybe not so much at 5. I don't think Ball will slip past the Lakers, but if he did I can see Philly thinking they don't need him as much as they need Monk + whatever else it takes.

It's the "whatever else it takes" that I'm not sure about - what Philly would demand and what exactly I'd be willing to give up.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, it sounds like Philly is kind of deadset at trying Simmons at literal PG on the offensive side. If so, then Monk becomes even more perfect for them, as a great shooter from the 2 who then slips over to guard the 1 on the defensive end (because Simmons will have to switch up). While you can never have too many passers, the Sixers might well be wasting Ball's skills if they want to essentially play him as a 2. But Monk at #3 is probably a bit of a reach, whereas maybe not so much at 5. I don't think Ball will slip past the Lakers, but if he did I can see Philly thinking they don't need him as much as they need Monk + whatever else it takes.

It's the "whatever else it takes" that I'm not sure about - what Philly would demand and what exactly I'd be willing to give up.
They can have Malachi!

I'm guessing they'd want #5 and #10. That seems too steep for me. Ball scares me. He's got the funky shot, the inability to turn the corner or penetrate consistently, struggles to guard quick PGs and hasn't shown that he can be nearly as effective in the half court and running the pick and roll. And yet he showed up at UCLA and transformed their offense and made them a winner. I tend to think he'll end up being a very successful pro. Still, I'll be a bit relieved if he goes #2 and the Lakers take the risk of his game not translating or being as effective in the NBA.