Now that we know the draft order, who do we draft? (New thread)

I would much rather keep 5 and 10 over trading them and a player to get the #1 pick. We need stars on this team. Having the 5th and 10th gives us a much better chance at landing a star or two. I don't feel like this team has enough talent yet to give up picks and a young player, just to put all our future on Fultz.

Basically, I think it would help us out more to have Fox/Isaac, Jackson/Frank, or another combination of top draftees over trading a young player and our picks to get Fultz.
I'd trade #5 and #10 in a heartbeat for #1 to get Fultz. The Celtics would never accept that deal and understandably so, but Fultz is really the only player in this draft that I have no doubts of.

That doesn't guarantee that he'll be a superstar but he's got the most complete game with NBA level athleticism and a wide array of offensive tools. He's also extremely effective out of the pick and roll.

Maybe Ntilikina is there at 10. I think it's very unlikely that Isaac is. Markkanen, Collins, Anunoby, Justin Jackson and the other guys I think are likely to still be there at 10 just don't move the needle for me.

Ball is the real deal. He has some work to do on his game, but he's ridiculously smart as a basketball player and he'll figure it out. I don't see Magic passing on him. I'd be shocked if he passed on him; absolutely shocked.
I was impressed with Ball's speed and pace in transition....he's not as quick as Fox or Fultz, but his up and down pace/stamina look remarkable.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Lonzo Ball doesn't have baggage.

By all accounts he's been a model teammate who always plays hard and whose best quality is his ability to make his teammates better.

What Lonzo Ball has is a loudmouth father who loves making ridiculous statements to get attention and who lives vicariously through his sons after failing to realize his own dreams of being a star athlete.

Does anybody remember Papagiannis' father starting a Twitter flamefest over his belief that his son was a far better player than Dragan Bender? Not quite the same magnitude as Lavar Ball claiming he could beat Michael Jordan or that his son is already better than Steph Curry but along the same lines.

Unless Lavar Ball would have some way of sabotaging things behind the scenes and/or plotting to get his son moved to a bigger market then he's essentially annoying but harmless. Even he has to know that even IF all three of his boys make it to the NBA they aren't all going to stay in L.A.
I think you're underestimating how disruptive this guy can be. He's already called out Lonzo's UCLA teammates for being too white to win in the tournament and gotten the coach of his sons' high school team fired. Put a future NBA contract on the line and whatever dreams he has in mind for his Big Baller Brand and yeah I expect we've just seen the beginning of the trouble LaVar Ball can cause. Actively campaigning on Twitter for players to be traded, coaches to be fired, offensive sets to be changed. Who knows. And maybe it's just words and it amounts to nothing but I agree with VF21 on this point -- is that really what we need right now? More negative publicity? On the one hand he would almost certainly yank the spotlight completely off of Vivek and his own brand of crazy, which could make our front office seem relatively sane in comparison. But after 4-5 years of his antics we may just get rewarded with Lonzo leaving for our most hated rival and the team he really wanted to play for all along. The whole thing just seems like a giant headache waiting to happen.

I'd trade #5 and #10 in a heartbeat for #1 to get Fultz. The Celtics would never accept that deal and understandably so, but Fultz is really the only player in this draft that I have no doubts of.

That doesn't guarantee that he'll be a superstar but he's got the most complete game with NBA level athleticism and a wide array of offensive tools. He's also extremely effective out of the pick and roll.

Maybe Ntilikina is there at 10. I think it's very unlikely that Isaac is. Markkanen, Collins, Anunoby, Justin Jackson and the other guys I think are likely to still be there at 10 just don't move the needle for me.
I think we can agree that it would take 5, 10, and one of our young players to get the #1, which I don't think is worth it. Fultz does look great, but I don't know that I see him as a generational talent that you trade all your marbles for. With that said, I don't watch a ton of college, so you probably know better than I do.

I was impressed with Ball's speed and pace in transition....he's not as quick as Fox or Fultz, but his up and down pace/stamina look remarkable.
Ball and Fultz are interesting guys to have 1 and 2 on most draft boards.

Fultz has very few questions about his game other than not always giving great effort on D and being a relatively poor FT shooter. He has pretty much all the tools. Athletic, great handle, good shooter, gets pretty much where he wants on the floor, good vision and super effective in the pick and roll. And yet, he couldn't elevate his team. Now I do believe Romar was a pretty good recruiter and poor coach and that this year's Washington team didn't have a ton of talent beyond Fultz but shouldn't a kid that talented be able to carry his team to the tourney?

Ball on the other hand has lots of questions about his game. He's got good size and speed but poor quickness and lateral movement. His shot is awkward. He struggles to keep quick PGs in front of him. He doesn't seem to use the pick and roll at all and is significantly less effective in the half court. But he's also the rare PG with outstanding court vision who doesn't dominate the ball. Ball just knows how to play the game. He makes the right play (including some amazing passes) and helps his team win.

I'd be nervous for the Kings to draft him but I certainly wouldn't count him out. After all, when he got to UCLA the criticism was that he was a product of the system at Chino Hills HS and wouldn't be able to play that way in college. Then he proceeded to do exactly that. It's possible that he adapts to the NBA in the same fashion.

There is no way #5 and KK gets us the #1.

It would probably take at minimum, #5, #10 and a future 1st or Skal or Papa to get the #1.
I didn't suggest KK. But, regardless, if it takes more than 5 and 10 or 5 and say Willie or the rights to Bogdanovic, they are overly greedy and asking too much.

#1 just isn't worth that much. Not in this draft. The minimum you're suggesting is unrealistic.

1. Celtics: Fultz
2. Lakers: Ball
3. Sixers: Monk
4. Suns: Jackson
5. Kings: Smith Jr
6. Magic: Tatum
7. Minnesota: Collins
8. Knicks: Ntilikina
9. Mavs: Fox
10. Kings: Isaac

I didn't suggest KK. But, regardless, if it takes more than 5 and 10 or 5 and say Willie or the rights to Bogdanovic, they are overly greedy and asking too much.

#1 just isn't worth that much. Not in this draft. The minimum you're suggesting is unrealistic.
Which means we aren't trading for the #1 pick.

Not worth it and the Kings can still wind up with the best player in the draft if they draft BPA at #5.

I think we can agree that it would take 5, 10, and one of our young players to get the #1, which I don't think is worth it. Fultz does look great, but I don't know that I see him as a generational talent that you trade all your marbles for. With that said, I don't watch a ton of college, so you probably know better than I do.
Would I deal #5, #10, Buddy and Skal for Fultz? I really doubt it. It would put the Kings right back in the situation of having a star without much of a supporting cast. And that's IF Fultz becomes the star I think he can be. But value wise that's likely what it would take.

But realistically, I don't even think that package gets accepted by Ainge for the #1 pick. It's a fair trade on paper but the Celtics are a playoff team now and don't want or need a bunch of young players.

I think if Boston trades the pick it will be in a deal for a star player. Jimmy Butler or Paul George seem like likely targets. But I think the most likely scenario may be them just drafting Fultz and letting him develop.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lonzo Ball doesn't have baggage.

By all accounts he's been a model teammate who always plays hard and whose best quality is his ability to make his teammates better.

What Lonzo Ball has is a loudmouth father who loves making ridiculous statements to get attention and who lives vicariously through his sons after failing to realize his own dreams of being a star athlete.

Does anybody remember Papagiannis' father starting a Twitter flamefest over his belief that his son was a far better player than Dragan Bender? Not quite the same magnitude as Lavar Ball claiming he could beat Michael Jordan or that his son is already better than Steph Curry but along the same lines.

Unless Lavar Ball would have some way of sabotaging things behind the scenes and/or plotting to get his son moved to a bigger market then he's essentially annoying but harmless. Even he has to know that even IF all three of his boys make it to the NBA they aren't all going to stay in L.A.
Sorry, but Lavar Ball is the worst kind of baggage. He's there but there's not much his son can do about it. And I'd bet anything he (Lavar) is gonna be a real thorn on the side of whichever team his son ends up on.

I think you're underestimating how disruptive this guy can be. He's already called out Lonzo's UCLA teammates for being too white to win in the tournament and gotten the coach of his sons' high school team fired. Put a future NBA contract on the line and whatever dreams he has in mind for his Big Baller Brand and yeah I expect we've just seen the beginning of the trouble LaVar Ball can cause. Actively campaigning on Twitter for players to be traded, coaches to be fired, offensive sets to be changed. Who knows. And maybe it's just words and it amounts to nothing but I agree with VF21 on this point -- is that really what we need right now? More negative publicity? On the one hand he would almost certainly yank the spotlight completely off of Vivek and his own brand of crazy, which could make our front office seem relatively sane in comparison. But after 4-5 years of his antics we may just get rewarded with Lonzo leaving for our most hated rival and the team he really wanted to play for all along. The whole thing just seems like a giant headache waiting to happen.
Sure, Lavar Ball could be a pain in the *** and a major distraction. But realistically if Lonzo Ball was drafted by the Kings they'd have his rights for a minimum of four years. Lavar could complain all he wants and call for Joerger to be fired if he didn't start Lonzo on day 1 and so on but no one has to listen to him. His only leverage would be to threaten to have his son sign elsewhere after four years or to threaten to play overseas instead of for the Kings which of course is a completely hollow threat.

In any event I don't think it matters. With Magic as the Lakers GM I think it's a near certainty that Ball goes to LA. I actually think there's a slightly higher chance that Ainge decides to take Ball #1 than Magic Johnson passing on him if he's there at #2.

I think he'll see Ball as the guy to usher in a new Showtime era for the Lakers and jump at that chance.

On the one hand I like watching Lonzo Ball play so I don't love the idea of rooting against him. On the other hand, having him struggle and LA continue to be mediocre while Lavar Ball blames everyone else and generally causes headaches for the Lakers would be pretty fantastic.

Sorry, but Lavar Ball is the worst kind of baggage. He's there but there's not much his son can do about it. And I'd bet anything he (Lavar) is gonna be a real thorn on the side of whichever team his son ends up on.
Having a loudmouth parent is pretty far down my list of red flags for a player.

A history of violence against women.
A history of drug or alcohol addiction
Major medical red flags
Repeated run ins with the law
Giving up on your team or not always playing hard
Not having a passion for the game
Inability to maintain composure
Failing to show any growth or correct mistakes

and probably a few other things would be much worse baggage for a player. And unfortunately the Kings have had players in the past with those problems.

I'm really tired of hearing from Lavar Ball and I wish he's just go away but he wouldn't be enough to stop me from drafting Lonzo if he was available and the top player on my board. He's currently fourth on my draft board for the Kings after Fultz, Jackson and Fox.

That said, I do see it being a bigger problem for the Kings than most teams. Sacramento already is too much of a punchline around the league and gets too much negative coverage and Lavar Ball would likely only make that worse. Less drama and more wins would definitely be a nice change of pace.

Last edited:
1. Celtics: Fultz
2. Lakers: Ball
3. Sixers: Monk
4. Suns: Jackson
5. Kings: Smith Jr
6. Magic: Tatum
7. Minnesota: Collins
8. Knicks: Ntilikina
9. Mavs: Fox
10. Kings: Isaac
From watching them this season (and based on Smith's injury history) I wouldn't take Smith over Fox but I could understand if the Kings went that way. If so I'd hope that choice didn't come back to haunt them.

I don't see Thibs taking Collins over Isaac but I guess it will depend on what he's looking for and how workouts go.

Im in the camp of Smith jr over Fox. I think a lot of people fell in love with Fox after he destroyed Ball and understandably so. BUT his athleticism is not going to get him as far in the NBA without a 3pt shot. As 206 fan and other have pointed out, there is a high percentage of remarkably athletic PGs such as Elfrid Payton that never reach their potential due to lack of 3pt shooting. I think Fox's lack of 3pt shot is much more of a risk than Smith turning out to be Cousins 2.0 drama. Smith Jr. has all the skills developed TODAY needed to be successful in todays NBA. He also posseses elite athleticism and i would argue has a better NBA body that the 170 lbs Fox. Both players have starsom level ceilings but i think Smith's floor is much higher than Foxs

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Im in the camp of Smith jr over Fox. I think a lot of people fell in love with Fox after he destroyed Ball and understandably so. BUT his athleticism is not going to get him as far in the NBA without a 3pt shot. As 206 fan and other have pointed out, there is a high percentage of remarkably athletic PGs such as Elfrid Payton that never reach their potential due to lack of 3pt shooting. I think Fox's lack of 3pt shot is much more of a risk than Smith turning out to be Cousins 2.0 drama. Smith Jr. has all the skills developed TODAY needed to be successful in todays NBA. He also posseses elite athleticism and i would argue has a better NBA body that the 170 lbs Fox. Both players have starsom level ceilings but i think Smith's floor is much higher than Foxs
Overall, you may be right. Smith is the compete package. I expect him to move up the draft board once teams see him in person for private workouts and that's why I predicted the Sixers take him with the third pick. There are some concerns about how well he ran the offense at NC State, often preferring to hunt his own shot rather than direct traffic and create looks for his teammates but that's less of a concern for teams which need scoring and already have a few playmakers in the lineup. I've got Fox ranked above him anyway because his intangibles (leadership ability, work ethic) and defensive potential are among the best in this draft. But I think Smith is going to be a heck of a PG in the league and he's my fallback pick right now if Jackson and Fox are both off the board at 5.

In the Duke game Smith looked like the best PG in the draft and maybe the top prospect overall. At that time my biggest concerns were that he's an athletic, attacking PG who has already torn an ACL and that he has subpar height and length. But early in the season he looked great.

The big red flag for me was how he often seemed to give up when things didn't go his way. I wouldn't describe it as Cousins-like. He didn't have an inability to control his emotions. He wasn't arguing with ref, opponents or coaches. He wasn't getting T'd up or committing dumb fouls out of frustration. No, Smith just looked like he stopped playing hard. To me that's an enormous red flag. Especially when he'd be heading to a Young Kings team that will almost certainly struggle a lot next season.

If his head's on right and he stays healthy DSJ has a tantalizing skill set. But I always hate gambling on guys whose motor runs hot and cold.

But one or both of Fox and Smith will very likely be there at 5. Here's to hoping that if the Kings nab one of them that he's the star PG they desperately need.

Elfrid Payton is not athletic. Nor does he have the elite speed/quickness of Fox. I'd prefer fox, but would be okay with Smith Jr as well.

From watching them this season (and based on Smith's injury history) I wouldn't take Smith over Fox but I could understand if the Kings went that way. If so I'd hope that choice didn't come back to haunt them.
I don't see Thibs taking Collins over Isaac but I guess it will depend on what he's looking for and how workouts go.
I'm really weary on Fox. Fox is the home-run prospect for a lot of Kings fans, but it's extremely difficult for me to overlook his lack of 3pt shooting. I think he's really talented, but teams can't be competitive in today's game if their lead guard can't shoot. If Fox retains his ability to attack and defend from college, but never develops a shot, then he'll be be relegated to NBA benches. 3pt shooting has become just that important now. DSJ on the other hand is a much better all-around offensive player. DSJ is also a slightly better playmaker and facilitator. Both are score-first PGs, but DSJ's shooting offers much more versatility and opportunities on offense. I could see why the Kings would pick Fox though.
Consensus says Thibs is going Isaac to fix their awful defense. However I have them picking Collins because I think he could also be a good fit alongside KAT on both ends. Collins also showed some ability to play the high-low at Gonzaga. Assuming his defensive potential can translate over, Collins would offer versatility in guarding both PFs and Cs. He would also be able to provide the C depth they need. Really early in the mock draft game, but I think draftworkouts will be telling. Excited in seeing who the Kings can bring in.

Elfrid Payton is not athletic. Nor does he have the elite speed/quickness of Fox. I'd prefer fox, but would be okay with Smith Jr as well.
Elf is athletic with a great first step. The 2 players are crazy similar(as prospects), but Fox is more of a natural leader and played against better competition.

I read a lot of talking about trading up to get #1, but I don't thing it's possible for us. Boston is not interested in more picks (5 and 10) or young players. I believe they would trade the #1 pick just for a star, George or Butler for example. They are competing now and adding a star can really get them closer to the top of the league. They are not a rebuilding team looking for picks and young prospects.

Anyways, I'm of course absolutely happy about the outcome of the lottery. Now we sit at 5 and 10, we improved our position, something I'm absolutely not used to. It really feels strange. Are we still living in this world or in some kind of alternate reality?

Fultz and Ball I think will go 1 and 2. At 5 I would take who's left between Jackson, Fox and Tatum. My personal preference goes to Fox. Then, at 10, I would go with BPA. Could be Frank, could be Isaac, could be Collins. Hopefully we are able to get Isaac here.

If we can get start the 2017 season with this roster, I'd be a very happy fan:

PG: Teodosic - Fox - Galloway
SG: Hield - Bogdanovic - Richardson
SF: Isaac - Temple - 34th (or veteran FA)
PF - Labissiere - Tolliver
C - WCS - Papagiannis - Koufus

The Kings are in a great position. :)

I think this draft is top 5 (or 6) super star potential heavy.

I am assuming Fultz and Ball are off the board by #5.

But to be honest, I would be happy with whoever is left of Tatum, Jackson or Fox (possibly Dennis Smith Jr in that group too) at 5.

I think #10 becomes trade bait.

I can see Vlade try to flip the #10 for a couple of lower 1st round picks or one lower pick and a future first round pick (2019) and/or a young player with upside (Cameron Payne, Mo Harkless, or Stanley Johnson?)

I'm really weary on Fox. Fox is the home-run prospect for a lot of Kings fans, but it's extremely difficult for me to overlook his lack of 3pt shooting. I think he's really talented, but teams can't be competitive in today's game if their lead guard can't shoot. If Fox retains his ability to attack and defend from college, but never develops a shot, then he'll be be relegated to NBA benches. 3pt shooting has become just that important now. DSJ on the other hand is a much better all-around offensive player. DSJ is also a slightly better playmaker and facilitator. Both are score-first PGs, but DSJ's shooting offers much more versatility and opportunities on offense. I could see why the Kings would pick Fox though.
Consensus says Thibs is going Isaac to fix their awful defense. However I have them picking Collins because I think he could also be a good fit alongside KAT on both ends. Collins also showed some ability to play the high-low at Gonzaga. Assuming his defensive potential can translate over, Collins would offer versatility in guarding both PFs and Cs. He would also be able to provide the C depth they need. Really early in the mock draft game, but I think draftworkouts will be telling. Excited in seeing who the Kings can bring in.

Elf is athletic with a great first step. The 2 players are crazy similar(as prospects), but Fox is more of a natural leader and played against better competition.
I don't like the Elf comparison at all. First, Elf was a junior when he was drafted to Fox being a freshman. That matters a lot. And while Elf does have a great first step, Fox is on another level. We just haven't seen a guy with his quickness since John Wall. He's going to walk into the league as one of the fastest/quickest players in the entire NBA, much less this rookie class. The Pedigree matters here too with Fox being one of the best players in the country his freshman year while no one really gave any attention to Elf until the draft process started.

Next, the shot form isn't broken whatsoever. Just isn't. He's not even close to the same level as an Elf or MKG or any of those guys who can't shoot and really had no hope of developing a shot. And he did see improvement in his last 10 games shooting 9-19 for 47%. It took Wall a couple seasons too to develop a passable 3-ball and I don't see any reason that Fox can't either.

Past that, I just think it's stupid to pass on superb talent that's elite at literally every other aspect of the game because of the variance that happens in 3pt shooting. He's a great passer/getting to the line/patient/defensive upside/elite athlete and quickness/leadership qualities. Basically, if you could guarantee me Fox would hit 35% on his 3pt shooting, I'd draft him over Fultz. Obviously that's a huge IF and shooting is incredibly important in today's NBA, which bumps Fox down a peg for most. But I believe in his other skills that much.

The top two picks should be Fultz (Celtics) and Ball (Lakers), which is fine by me if that happens. Obviously I do like these two players and wouldn't mind seeing them fall to us at five, but this year is a fairly deep class so there are other potential cornerstones available.

What happens next is harder to predict...

The 76ers and Suns could go for Jackson and Tatum, which would leave us Fox. Or they could go for Monk and Fox, leaving us with Jackson or Tatum. I'd be happy with any of that trio because they could be cornerstones for this team.

If we've got Fox, then at ten I'm not too concerned who we end up with. We can address the small forward vacancy in free agency with a solid veteran if needs be, or we could look at Justin Jackson or OG Anunoby. My preference would be Markkanen falls to us at ten and coming out of the draft with him and Fox.

The alternative is we get Josh Jackson or Tatum, then at ten we simply get the best player available. The issue we'll have here if the 76ers and/or Suns draft guards, is that potentially the Knicks and Mavericks could draft guards as well. If they do, we will come out of the draft without a guard. If one passes, we will either get Ntilikina or Smith. Now I'd be happy with Jackson or Tatum plus Smith, but I'm not really sold on Ntilikina.

First choice: Fox and Markkanen

Second choice: Jackson or Tatum and Smith

No Tatum....no thank you. Smallish and over-reliant with his right hand. A good player sure - maybe ok at 10 but not 5. Rather see Isaac, Markennan or Collins. Fox or Smith Jr., Resign Lawson or Collison. Also would be happy with Jackson and Frank.
Combination of Fox/Smith Jr and Isaac (excellent) or Jackson and Smith Jr/Frank ( very good) or Fox/Smith Jr and Markennan (very good); Fox/Smith Jr and Collins (very good).

Fox floor would be like a young Rondo which is not bad at all. Ceiling would be Mike Conley Jr. - a top 10 PG. If Fox develops a consistent long range shot, he could be an all-star.

I would like to see Jackson fall but I think if Philly decides not to pick him that Phoenix snatches him up. He's a good fit at the SF spot for them.

I'm hoping Fox and Smith are both on the board at #5. I want the Kings to have their choice for a PG of the future.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
In the Duke game Smith looked like the best PG in the draft and maybe the top prospect overall. At that time my biggest concerns were that he's an athletic, attacking PG who has already torn an ACL and that he has subpar height and length. But early in the season he looked great.

The big red flag for me was how he often seemed to give up when things didn't go his way. I wouldn't describe it as Cousins-like. He didn't have an inability to control his emotions. He wasn't arguing with ref, opponents or coaches. He wasn't getting T'd up or committing dumb fouls out of frustration. No, Smith just looked like he stopped playing hard. To me that's an enormous red flag. Especially when he'd be heading to a Young Kings team that will almost certainly struggle a lot next season.

If his head's on right and he stays healthy DSJ has a tantalizing skill set. But I always hate gambling on guys whose motor runs hot and cold.

But one or both of Fox and Smith will very likely be there at 5. Here's to hoping that if the Kings nab one of them that he's the star PG they desperately need.
Yep, and that's my big problem with Smith as a potential pick.

I can forgive a guy for caring too much and grinding too hard but I can't really do that with a guy who at times doesn't seem like he cares enough.

I think there is every chance that the Kings will try to trade up to get either Fultz (yes please) or Ball (not as sold on it).

I doubt either Boston or Lakers would be interested in trading the pick what both teams would think is a fair deal. I would trade Kosta, #5 and #10 for Fultz in a heartbeat but I don't think Boston accepts that.

Assuming that there is no trading of picks and Kings pick at #5 and #10, the absolute best case scenario for me is Fox and Isaac but there is also every chance that ends up being Tatum and Ntilikina.

I think with either Fox or Tatum you are getting a high end, all-star level talent. If Fox gets a jump shot, look out.

Given that Kings need to get a franchise level guy and a can't miss prospect, I still think they will try and trade up to get Fultz. Fingers crossed they can pull it off.

I think there is every chance that the Kings will try to trade up to get either Fultz (yes please) or Ball (not as sold on it).

I doubt either Boston or Lakers would be interested in trading the pick what both teams would think is a fair deal. I would trade Kosta, #5 and #10 for Fultz in a heartbeat but I don't think Boston accepts that.

Assuming that there is no trading of picks and Kings pick at #5 and #10, the absolute best case scenario for me is Fox and Isaac but there is also every chance that ends up being Tatum and Ntilikina.

I think with either Fox or Tatum you are getting a high end, all-star level talent. If Fox gets a jump shot, look out.

Given that Kings need to get a franchise level guy and a can't miss prospect, I still think they will try and trade up to get Fultz. Fingers crossed they can pull it off.
Laker won't trade 2 (thank god Ball will bust)

Boston isn't trading Faultz unless they get back Butler