Now that we know the draft order, who do we draft? (New thread)

@Capt. Factorial
What do you recommend to pair with that?
In all seriousness, we have been witnessing the death of journalism for years. Transformation if you prefer. Today clicks beat the written word and in our current society the majority population feeds on clickbait. One tried and true clickbait is to regurgitate the KANGZ! narrative because it's easy (lazy) and people cant be bothered with working to form their own opinion, so it has staying power.
Not an attack on @Kingsfan23. It just is really laughable some of the narratives I have read regarding our team because misinformation gets disseminated and people gobble it up because it's a cheap easy meal.
sorry, done ranting.

I have been mulling over in my head, how to move up from 10.

It is unlikely that Isaac is there at 10 if we grabbed a PG at 5. If we grab a SF at 5 though, we may be able to grab a PG at 8.

New York needs assests and Phil was "impressed" with D. Rose's exit interview. If he is confidant with Rose at least until the next draft, perhaps a combination of 10 and Richardson or another asset moves us to 8th We could take either Smith JR or Ntilikina, while still getting a great SF at 5. The reason I mention Richardson is Phil wants wings, and Richardson's ties with Syracuse. I hate trading young assets but this might be worth it.

It is unlikely that Isaac is there at 10 if we grabbed a PG at 5. If we grab a SF at 5 though, we may be able to grab a PG at 8.

New York needs assests and Phil was "impressed" with D. Rose's exit interview. If he is confidant with Rose at least until the next draft, perhaps a combination of 10 and Richardson or another asset moves us to 8th We could take either Smith JR or Ntilikina, while still getting a great SF at 5. The reason I mention Richardson is Phil wants wings, and Richardson's ties with Syracuse. I hate trading young assets but this might be worth it.
Confident in Rose? It's been reported they are favoring guards this draft, but we will see. I think we will need to get ahead of them, Minny seems more a trade target

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Confident in Rose? It's been reported they are favoring guards this draft, but we will see. I think we will need to get ahead of them, Minny seems more a trade target
What do we have that Minny would want? If I'm them, I would be targeting Isaac, or perhaps Smith, if they wanted to double down at the PG position. So what could we offer that would entice them?

How about Afflalo , Richardson, 10th for Brandon Knight,4th?

kings pick Fox and Tatum

Why Phoenix does it? They get two cheap young Talents plus save 40 Mill on the afflalo/Knight

Don't think the cap space does it by itself, and we still could have Buddy and Bogs at the 2
Still not sure its enough - Maybe Buddy instead of Richardson? Hmmmm

Fox,Knight,Galloway
Buddy, Bogs or Bogs and Richardson
Tatum, Temple,2nd rounder
Skal,Tolliver
WCS,Koufos,Papa
I think in most drafts that offer would get it done, but this draft is so stacked that the 4th pick probably carries more weight than usual. Fox or Tatum would probably be top 1-2 picks in other years drafts.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think there are several reasons. One is what you stated. He didn't get the minutes because of playing behind the 7'2" senior, Przemek Karnowski. Because of Collins ability to hit the three point shot, you might ask, well then, why not play them together? Truth is, when there were on the court together, they were very effective with the inside out game and very hard to defend. However, Gonzaga only had two bigs on the team, Karnowski and Collins, and Mark Few didn't want to risk both getting in foul trouble at the same time, so he played it safe using Collins as the backup.

When you look at the amount of minutes Collins played, and the foul trouble he always seemed to be in, I think being in the top ten is a good result. One of the other reasons is because the traditional center has become a dinosaur. Used to be that if your were over 7 feet tall and could blow up a basketball, you were a 1st round pick. No more! If you can't shoot the three, and put the ball on the floor, you don't get a second look. Thing is, Collins can do all those things and that's why he's listed at 10 on most draft boards. I think he's a very talented kid, but he does have some things to work on. Not major things, but they are important.
I doubt the NBA changes the 3 point rule, but can you imagine if they did, and how it would change both the draft and the hierarchy of teams in the NBA?

What do we have that Minny would want? If I'm them, I would be targeting Isaac, or perhaps Smith, if they wanted to double down at the PG position. So what could we offer that would entice them?
I don't really see them wanting anything we have unless they could just fleece us for our young talent and see what pans out. With their main weakness being defense, I don't think we really have anything that would be enticing enough since our only defenders are Temple, Kofous and WCS. We definitely aren't giving up WCS to move up a couple spots so I don't really see any simple way to get it done.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
@Capt. Factorial
What do you recommend to pair with that?
In all seriousness, we have been witnessing the death of journalism for years. Transformation if you prefer. Today clicks beat the written word and in our current society the majority population feeds on clickbait. One tried and true clickbait is to regurgitate the KANGZ! narrative because it's easy (lazy) and people cant be bothered with working to form their own opinion, so it has staying power.
Not an attack on @Kingsfan23. It just is really laughable some of the narratives I have read regarding our team because misinformation gets disseminated and people gobble it up because it's a cheap easy meal.
sorry, done ranting.
Have we ever!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The other way of viewing things is that IT and Fultz would both be heavy usage scorers. Ball had a surprisingly low usage rate and might better balance Thomas by being a distributor. He's also got the size to guard SGs. In fact, Ball might be better off guarding SGs.

Honestly, as someone that likes Ball's game I think getting him out of LA and out from under his dad's watchful eye (and loud mouth) would be better for him long term.
If Ball's father was to change in tune and start ranting about how his son will not in any other town other than Sacramento, he would get a statue erected for him next to the Arena.:)

@Kingsfan23
I agree that Minny's 7th pick would be better, I just think it less likely. As others have said, we have less to offer them. They are a more solidified roster and need only a few pieces. The Knicks have Zinger and that has even become a question mark. Richardson and our 10th gives them a young guard prospect while only sliding back two spots. We might even look into taking on Noahs contract, but I would want future picks or swap rights. NY will be in the lottery for the next few years I'd wager.
Another oddity to consider is the teams picking 6th and 7th are untested. Orlando has an interim GM currently and Thibbs is still new to the executive side of the NBA. Phil has a few years under his belt and I imagine he and Vlade are on cordial terms at the least.

I can see them interested in Isaac/Markannen. One can be there at 10 IMO. I think Orlando will look hard at Isaac. They might take Isaac/Smith at that point, IMO. Depends kinda on Orlando.

New mock draft from NBC:

1. BOSTON (via Brooklyn) – Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington
2. LAKERS – Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
3. PHILADELPHIA – Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas
4. PHOENIX – De’Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
5. SACRAMENTO – Jayson Tatum, SF, Duke
6. ORLANDO – Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky
7. MINNESOTA – Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona
8. NEW YORK – Frank Ntilikina, PG, France
9. DALLAS – Jonathan Isaac, PF, Florida State
10. SACRAMENTO (via New Orleans) – Dennis Smith Jr., PG, N.C. State

If the top ten falls like this and we come out of the draft with Tatum and Smith, then I'd be pretty happy with that draft haul.

New mock draft from NBC:

1. BOSTON (via Brooklyn) – Markelle Fultz, PG, Washington
2. LAKERS – Lonzo Ball, PG, UCLA
3. PHILADELPHIA – Josh Jackson, SF, Kansas
4. PHOENIX – De’Aaron Fox, PG, Kentucky
5. SACRAMENTO – Jayson Tatum, SF, Duke
6. ORLANDO – Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky
7. MINNESOTA – Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona
8. NEW YORK – Frank Ntilikina, PG, France
9. DALLAS – Jonathan Isaac, PF, Florida State
10. SACRAMENTO (via New Orleans) – Dennis Smith Jr., PG, N.C. State

If the top ten falls like this and we come out of the draft with Tatum and Smith, then I'd be pretty happy with that draft haul.
You simply cannot be unhappy with that. Having said that I think Smith Jr. gets picked up well before pick 10. Too much star potential there for him to be overlooked for that long.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You simply cannot be unhappy with that. Having said that I think Smith Jr. gets picked up well before pick 10. Too much star potential there for him to be overlooked for that long.
Agreed but the guys that go before him in this mock....it could happen. I'm just not so sure PHX goes after Fox. I think Markannen is more valued here in this mock than on this forum.

Two nights ago the bright star of basketball knowledge and wisdom shone down on me and I saw us getting picks 2, 15, and 20 and 34. After the light explained to me how we got these picks I began to wonder who we should pick. We could take Fox but I haven't yet figured out who we pick at 15 and 20. I'll keep working on it. The blest.

Two nights ago the bright star of basketball knowledge and wisdom shone down on me and I saw us getting picks 2, 15, and 20 and 34. After the light explained to me how we got these picks I began to wonder who we should pick. We could take Fox but I haven't yet figured out who we pick at 15 and 20. I'll keep working on it. The blest.
Well since 15 and 20 currently belong to Portland I would assume there is a relationship.

That could actually happen. I can see a trade down with Portland, but it would have to be more than 15/20.

That could actually happen. I can see a trade down with Portland, but it would have to be more than 15/20.
For me of course this is just based on fun, but if LA is not sold on Ball at 2 I guess there could be a scenario including pick swaps and veteran players where Portland, LA, and Sacramento could all benefit. Also Portland has three mid to late 1st round picks, I am sure they would like to move up.

Anyways its a bold prediction or premonition for pshn80 to put out there.

Nmber 5 and Bogdanovc for number 2. Evans, 15 and 20 for 10.
Well its interesting, and conceivable, however, I don't think Evans has to be part of the equation as I believe hes a FA.
We could then get Fox at 2, diffuse a logjam at SG creating plenty of minutes for both Buddy and Malachi, and I almost think its a crap shoot between 10 and 20 anyways, so could potentially get two equal talents for the price of one.

I must add, not sure how willing Vlade and some of the fanbase will be trading Bogdan.

Last edited:
I can't see us trading Bogdonavic just to ensure we get Fox. Fox may fall to #5 in which case we just threw Bogdan away.

He has value. I think he is considered to be a key piece by the front office.

Moving up to #1? We might be on board with that but that would likely take more than just Bogdan.

rather trade back than give up richardson to move up 2 spots.

If moving up 2 spots means getting our PG and SF then it's worth considering. I don't like giving up assests early. However I like trading back even less.

Moot point as since I made that post the apparent draft order has shifted. Highly unlikely ANY of the top 3 SF's are left at 8.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Kings bringing in Justin Jackson for a workout tomorrow.......please don't take this guy at 10 and please don't trade down from 10. They can get and elite guy and a higher level guy at 10 than this guy.

Kings bringing in Justin Jackson for a workout tomorrow.......please don't take this guy at 10 and please don't trade down from 10. They can get and elite guy and a higher level guy at 10 than this guy.
True, though maybe they are keeping their options open if we draft a point guard fifth overall?

In that scenario we will be hoping for Isaac to fall to ten, but that's unlikely to happen. So arguably the best player in a position of need is Justin Jackson. The other talent mocked in the late lottery are PF/C prospects. Now don't get me wrong I like Zach Collins from Gonzaga and Lauri Markkanen from Arizona as options at ten, but both play in positions where they would be competing directly with Skal, Willie and Papa (and that's without considering the veterans). I'm a BPA guy, but I could understand if they went for Justin Jackson because he offers the team a potential starter at SF even though he's not a special talent.

True, though maybe they are keeping their options open if we draft a point guard fifth overall?

In that scenario we will be hoping for Isaac to fall to ten, but that's unlikely to happen. So arguably the best player in a position of need is Justin Jackson. The other talent mocked in the late lottery are PF/C prospects. Now don't get me wrong I like Zach Collins from Gonzaga and Lauri Markkanen from Arizona as options at ten, but both play in positions where they would be competing directly with Skal, Willie and Papa (and that's without considering the veterans). I'm a BPA guy, but I could understand if they went for Justin Jackson because he offers the team a potential starter at SF even though he's not a special talent.
I think some of the board is getting more excited about the prospect of Semi Ojeleye at SF than Justin Jackson. Trade back with Portland, 10 for 15 and 20, and use one of those picks to move up from 5 and assure getting Fox and the other on Semi. PG and SF needs solved.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer

Take the names out of the equation....would you trade down from a potential star for a guy that won't be a star.....I wouldn't. Markannen or Collins both might be better than what we got and that's a good thing. We can always trade later but I like what Markannen and Collins both bring to the table.

Smith can easily slip out of the Top 10. In fact, in the latest Bleacher Report Mock, they have the Knicks drafting Donovan Mitchell at #8, the fastest 3/4 sprinter in a decade of NBA prospects. Flying up the draft boards!

Anyone diehard Kings fan who does in-depth objective analysis between Isaac and Tatum and knows the woebegone defensive ineptitude of the Sacramento Kings over last decade is going to lean towards Isaac. C'mon now. :)

Here is Bleacher Report post that does just that Despite having skinny frame, Isaac had a 25% defensive rebound rate. Very good. He's got a nose for the ball a la Skal. This is nice to have at our SF position because even though Willie started to come on as a rebounder towards the end of the year, we could still garner help on the boards from our SF position. Isaac has also had best point differential of +28 (ORtg - DRtg) leading his team. And best defensive Rating on team at 93.6 per 100! When he was on the floor there was not a lot of easy baskets to be had compared to when he was off. Here's the link to compare DRtg and point differential vs his teammates. This is the kind of player we need.

61% TS and 6% block rate are impressive too.

Tatum did nothing remotely as impressive. In fact a deep dive into his performance you come away with more questions than answers. So to say "you simply cannot be unhappy with that" is an opinion I can easily refute. Pedigree of a Duke player and class ranking coming out of high school can be deceptive and this is where I am starting to lean with Tatum. He's a very talented player. But I don't see enough spring or bounce or fast-twitch muscle reaction. Combine with isolation tendency and I see more appealing alternative in Isaac to complement our core of Buddy, Skal and Willie.

I am going to presume for a moment that Lonzo is not over-hyped and overrated and say The Top 5 players in this draft are:
  • Fultz
  • Ball
  • Jackson
  • Fox
  • Isaac
All we have to do with our first pick is take whoever is left from this group. There is NO reason to get stupid or cute by drafting Tatum or Smith. Fox or Isaac will likely be our first pick if Vlade does not screw this up. Josh Jackson would be great (even better prospect than Isaac) but I don't see him sliding. The #10 pick is wide open with Lauri or OG the guys I am targeting if we land Fox. If we get Isaac at #5, then I am also targeting Donovan Mitchell at #10.