Nobody is coming to save you.

Def a bit of a weird spot. We weren't the right partners for Bojan/Hayward, unless flipping Huerter/HB. And everyone else traded was just back end rotation guys. Which, sure, we could use, but is that moving the needle much?

2 guys I've loved for years (PJ and Grant) got flipped for each other with the Mavs selling incredibly low on Grant as a talent. Who I really don't think is actually better at all than PJ and it cost them a FRP to do it. Horrid management imo.

Some choices have to be made this summer on Huerter/HB/Monk (who is very likely looking at that 18mil/season extension), whom tie us up around 50 mil of our payroll. Those are the three dudes where moving them actually shakes this team up in a meaningful way. And doesn't look like there was a ton out there available for those guys.
to me the scary part is the scarcity of sellers. Looking at next year’s landscape I can only see about 4 or 5 teams selling and some of these teams were supposed to be sellers this year (Atlanta, Chicago, Washington) we asked for parity and we got it, almost all teams are either trying to make the playoffs or are filled with young guys trying to get out of the basement. Monte willl need to identify teams that need what we have or have a surplus of guys at a position of need (on our end).

to me the scary part is the scarcity of sellers. Looking at next year’s landscape I can only see about 4 or 5 teams selling and some of these teams were supposed to be sellers this year (Atlanta, Chicago, Washington) we asked for parity and we got it, almost all teams are either trying to make the playoffs or are filled with young guys trying to get out of the basement. Monte willl need to identify teams that need what we have or have a surplus of guys at a position of need (on our end).

Seems like everyone is afraid of the tax apron coming soon. Teams were throwing around 2nd round picks like candy last year and guys just weren't close to fetching the same package back. I think teams are realizing quickly, that they'll absolutely HAVE to hit on 2nd round/UDFA talent if they want to keep stars together.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Def a bit of a weird spot. We weren't the right partners for Bojan/Hayward, unless flipping Huerter/HB. And everyone else traded was just back end rotation guys. Which, sure, we could use, but is that moving the needle much?

2 guys I've loved for years (PJ and Grant) got flipped for each other with the Mavs selling incredibly low on Grant as a talent. Who I really don't think is actually better at all than PJ and it cost them a FRP to do it. Horrid management imo.

Some choices have to be made this summer on Huerter/HB/Monk (who is very likely looking at that 18mil/season extension), whom tie us up around 50 mil of our payroll. Those are the three dudes where moving them actually shakes this team up in a meaningful way. And doesn't look like there was a ton out there available for those guys.
I don't know, the Mavs were looking for talent and they did upgrade there. It was pretty noticeable when the Kings played them that without Kyrie they have Hardaway Jr. and pretty much nothing else to even get you a solid 10 per game. Might be a slight jump but it's a jump nonetheless.

Monte has been pretty decent at getting guys to sign fair deals, maybe Monk will take a little less and give the Kings flexibility to push a bit farther away from the luxury tax so they don't have to stand pat in the summer when it comes to signings. I mean Monks situation is what it is, if a cap team comes knocking with a role and money he'd have to be gone one would think but moving him would have been a season crusher emotionally. I just hope not trading a bit of salary in the form of perhaps Duarte or Davion doesn't come back to haunt Monte. If they continue to stay non-existent then it's not a forgone conclusion that Monte would have to attach assets to clear their salary this summer.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Seems like everyone is afraid of the tax apron coming soon. Teams were throwing around 2nd round picks like candy last year and guys just weren't close to fetching the same package back. I think teams are realizing quickly, that they'll absolutely HAVE to hit on 2nd round/UDFA talent if they want to keep stars together.
And the teams that aren't afraid just blasted right through that apron like toilet paper, lol.

I don't know, the Mavs were looking for talent and they did upgrade there. It was pretty noticeable when the Kings played them that without Kyrie they have Hardaway Jr. and pretty much nothing else to even get you a solid 10 per game. Might be a slight jump but it's a jump nonetheless.

Monte has been pretty decent at getting guys to sign fair deals, maybe Monk will take a little less and give the Kings flexibility to push a bit farther away from the luxury tax so they don't have to stand pat in the summer when it comes to signings. I mean Monks situation is what it is, if a cap team comes knocking with a role and money he'd have to be gone one would think but moving him would have been a season crusher emotionally. I just hope not trading a bit of salary in the form of perhaps Duarte or Davion doesn't come back to haunt Monte. If they continue to stay non-existent then it's not a forgone conclusion that Monte would have to attach assets to clear their salary this summer.
Grant Williams=PJ. I might even side with Grant being a better player and they sent a FRP to do it.

Gafford rules, but is he just there to platoon with your own lotto pick C for the next 2 years? So, sure, they upgraded back-up C, I'll agree. But a FRP to do it? Sheesh.

The Kings equivalent of this is sending 2 FRP's and Kevin Huerter for Gafford and PJ Washington. Anyone thrilled by that?

Well, since we are not getting any outside help. It's time for coach Brown to unleash Keon Ellis, Kessler Edwards, Colby Jones and Alex Len to see if we can get some surprise production from one or two of our deep bench guys.
I do think this team gets quite a bit better with Keon/Len taking the 8 and 9 spots in the rotation over Javale and Davion.

Well, since we are not getting any outside help. It's time for coach Brown to unleash Keon Ellis, Kessler Edwards, Colby Jones and Alex Len to see if we can get some surprise production from one or two of our deep bench guys.
We already know that the team plays better with Ellis and Len, so that won't be a surprise. The question is what becomes of Mitchell at this point beyond the deadline, if Ellis takes over his spot and is signed to a regular contract

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I do think this team gets quite a bit better with Keon/Len taking the 8 and 9 spots in the rotation over Javale and Davion.
I think you were the one that posted the ratings with Keon in over Davion and they weren't far under the actual starters. If Keon doesn't come back in at least as a try out something is off here. The downside is Davion goes back to forgottenville and teams will forget. And unless Sasha starts playing the Kings are looking at nearly 20 million locked up in guys who either don't play, or don't play much. Monte might regret those options he picked up at this point and not looking to move off some of that salary this deadline.

yes ….. every year has reasons things don’t make sense but I think part of the problem is Vlade didn’t provide Monte many assets and Monte didn’t do a great job with the few he got.

1) letting Bogdan walk for nothing
2) trading multiple 2nds for players long gone
3) selling seconds
4) not trading Barnes to Boston when he had value
5) never using cap space to gain assets

Buddy?
Richaun?

he had to attach assets to get rid of both.

I dont know how anyone can be happy with the way the off-season went, or this trade deadline. We basically did nothing.

We had such high expectations after last year. I'm very disappointed we didn't take advantage of out hotness around the league. Last year was the time to attract free agents on the beam hype. Now we can't even get a Allstars vote.

Fact Is we are trending in the wrong direction. People think Ellis and freaking Len are going to save us? Really? Fox has to go super nova again for us to have any chance of even making playoffs at this point, Sobonis is having a career year and we are spoiling it.

Come on baby get it together

Grant Williams=PJ. I might even side with Grant being a better player and they sent a FRP to do it.

Gafford rules, but is he just there to platoon with your own lotto pick C for the next 2 years? So, sure, they upgraded back-up C, I'll agree. But a FRP to do it? Sheesh.

The Kings equivalent of this is sending 2 FRP's and Kevin Huerter for Gafford and PJ Washington. Anyone thrilled by that?
Grant Williams is mosdef not a better or equal player to PJ Washington. Also, while PJ may not be the best fit next to Luka, someone with a bit more length and mobility might have been better... he is a better fit next to Luka than Grant (who is too short to get stops on anyone unless he can big body them). PJ seems like the best available option they had at the price they could afford. With opposing teams doubling Luka and Kyrie, PJ has the offensive skills to feast when left open. Grant does not have those.

The Mavericks also needed an athletic backup Center who is a better rim protector and rebounder than Powell or Holmes. They got that in Gafford. Between Lively and Gafford, they now have the position covered.

I feel the Mavs made solid incremental improvements in 2 positions of need. Their roster seems more balanced than it was, and they won't be using players out of position (like when they were using DJJ at PF or Grant at C). They have playmakers in Luka, Kyrie, Exum, THJ, Hardy... shooters in Luka, Kyrie, THJ, PJ, Kleber... good defensive options to use on Guards or Wings in Green, Exum, DJJ, O-Max... a good set of rotational Bigs in Lively, Gafford, Kleber, PJ. One area of weakness is defending big, skilled Forwards like Durant, Kawi, PG3, Lebron. Anyway, I feel they have overtaken the Kings now and joined the Nuggets, Clippers, OKC, Suns and Timberwolves as teams who can have a deeper run in the playoffs.

G: Kyrie.................... Exum
G: Green.................. THJ, Hardy
F: Luka.................... DJJ, O-Max
F: Washington......... Kleber
C: Lively................... Gafford

Last edited: