Noah has a promise inside 10?

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/224156.html

Shaw, Theus to meet with Maloofs in Vegas
By Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, June 15, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C3

After Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie had conducted two formal interviews for his team's head-coaching position, he joked that he felt a bit like Larry King.

If that was the case then, consider him Walter Cronkite now.

Yet after the interview total has grown to 10 and the position remains vacant, Petrie is expected to miss the next two sessions as the search continues.

Today in Las Vegas, Los Angeles Lakers assistant Brian Shaw and New Mexico State coach Reggie Theus will meet individually with Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof. Petrie will remain in Sacramento for a draft workout which will include Washington center Spencer Hawes. Florida forward Joakim Noah was originaly scheduled as well but will not take part.

For both Theus and Shaw, this will be the second interview -- a distinction also held by new Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy, Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis and Kings assistant Scott Brooks. Petrie attended each of those second interviews.

Although Rambis has told people close to him that he is out of the running, Brooks still is believed to be a candidate. And with San Antonio's sweep of Cleveland in the NBA Finals, Spurs assistant P.J. Carlesimo is expected to be interviewed.

Does this mean he has a promise from a team picking before us? Or is it a case of not being able to make it and the workout will get re-scheduled?

For a player that has called out others about individual workouts, I very much doubt he would cancel just not to go up against Hawes.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If the draft has taught me anything, it's that promises mean nothing until your name is called. Although if it were a scheduling issue, he would have been able to change to a different date.

I wouldn't pick Joakim Noah if he fell down to #10. Have you seen the way he shoots? He shoots to ball with a right side motion. Meaning the ball spins to the right.....when it's suppose to go in a downward motion.

I'll take Al Thornton or Julius Wright over this guy!

It's the intangibles that he offers that would be great for this team. We are w/o a leader, and he has those qualities. We lack rebounding, he has those qualities. We lack a PF. He will be a PF. His shot might be ugly, but he is still top 10, so there must be a reason he is there.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't pick Joakim Noah if he fell down to #10. Have you seen the way he shoots? He shoots to ball with a right side motion. Meaning the ball spins to the right.....when it's suppose to go in a downward motion.

I'll take Al Thornton or Julius Wright over this guy!
I agree. If we take him, we'd have to totally change his shooting motion. When I look at Noah, I see Verajao, who is pretty good, but not what I'd hope for out of a top 10 pick.

People on here disparage Petrie for his shooting fetish, but then act the same way themselves. Noah has a lot going for him, including a great basketball IQ, motor and work ethic. You could do a lot worse than this guy in the top 10 this year.

It's the intangibles that he offers that would be great for this team. We are w/o a leader, and he has those qualities. We lack rebounding, he has those qualities. We lack a PF. He will be a PF. His shot might be ugly, but he is still top 10, so there must be a reason he is there.
Don't confuse high energy with leadership qualities.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh lord. And it's only June...

All that line says, before people try to turn it into War and Peace, is that Joakim Noah will not be working out for Petrie on that day. Period. There could be a number of reasons.

Having said that, I agree very strongly with SkinnerBox. Noah has heart, he has hunger, and he has the love of the sport that will propel him to work on the parts of his game that need improvement, like the hitch in his shot. THAT part can be fixed.

He probably has a promise from someone in the top 10, which is good IMO because that's just another good player that will fall to us.
I was thinking the same thing. It's a common scenario come draft time. "Why waste time and chance injury working out with a team that won't be drafting me?" Some team has told him he'll be going before No. 10. I'm not much of a Noah fan, so it's fine by me.

Oh lord. And it's only June...

All that line says, before people try to turn it into War and Peace, is that Joakim Noah will not be working out for Petrie on that day. Period. There could be a number of reasons.

Having said that, I agree very strongly with SkinnerBox. Noah has heart, he has hunger, and he has the love of the sport that will propel him to work on the parts of his game that need improvement, like the hitch in his shot. THAT part can be fixed.
well said vf. as noah is, hes not complete. however, hes athletic, and hes got a drive. take those two things, and you got someone who will work every night. what more can u ask for? if noah falls to 10, i can see a couple scenarios where its best for us to take him.

although, ims till hoping yi falls down to us.

well said vf. as noah is, hes not complete. however, hes athletic, and hes got a drive. take those two things, and you got someone who will work every night. what more can u ask for? if noah falls to 10, i can see a couple scenarios where its best for us to take him.

although, ims till hoping yi falls down to us.
I actually like Noah as a workhorse kind of player but I'm concerned with how often I've seen his work ethic used as a justification for the kind of player he will be. Even with his drive, he progressed very little last year and almost regressed as a player (outside of his hustle). Also, I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that he's made a few questionable comments/decisions that seem to get brushed under the rug due to his likability. No way to determine what kind of player he will be, but I wouldn't be disapointed if the kings passed.

"Shareef's too old, he has bad knees, and he's just not as good as he used to be"

"Kenny's contract sucks, his attitude sucks, and he doesn't give us any effort"

"Our backcourt is too small. We have no athleticism, shot blocking, or rebounding"

isn't this what's mentioned all the time? makes me wonder why people are so down on Noah. he's not going to fix all of those problems, but i'd love to see a young back court of Noah and J-Will2 going nuts trying to grab rebounds and block shots.

If it was Noah vs Young/Smith/Green, I pick Noah. He definitely did well with his measurements and athletic tests. I don't think he'll ever have much of an offensive game beyond tip ins/put backs but he's got potential to be a good rebounder and shot blocker. I don't think he'll be an elite defender but he's got the "potential" to be a 10/10/3/2 guy, but I think he could easily be just a role player. He'll never be an all-star player IMO, but we could do worse with the 10th.

Don't confuse high energy with leadership qualities.

So all those games I watched w/ him at Florida the last couple years were him just being high energy and showing no leadership?

I have to disagree. So many times he would pull all the players on the floor aside and huddle up. This guy is the definition of leader when he was at Florida. I have only seen him play about 15-25 times over the last two years, but he was always the one pullnig the troops together. I can't say if that will translate to the NBA right away, but if we had a young team I am sure he would be the leader w/in a couple years.

isn't this what's mentioned all the time? makes me wonder why people are so down on Noah. he's not going to fix all of those problems, but i'd love to see a young back court of Noah and J-Will2 going nuts trying to grab rebounds and block shots.
I assumed you meant frontcourt, but I did snicker a bit imagining JWILL, and Noah playing the guard spots :) :eek:

He refused to work out for the Bucks so he may have a promise inside the first five picks.
The plot thickens!

So it could be anywhere from 3 to 5. I think he has already worked out for Atlanta, Memphis, Boston, Charlotte, Minnesota and Chicago.

I reckon Memphis or Boston might be the teams.

Well on the Bucks issue he just basically said he wouldn't be a good fit but why would a guy turn down guaranteed money? It just doesn't make sense.