No second round pick this year?

That is disappointing. Petrie has to be the best GM ever at giving away second round picks for nothing. It looks like we have given away our second round picks for the foreseeable future. I hope our new GM can get some value out there. Our bench need help.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
That is disappointing. Petrie has to be the best GM ever at giving away second round picks for nothing. It looks like we have given away our second round picks for the foreseeable future. I hope our new GM can get some value out there. Our bench need help.
Actually, it's not nearly as dire as you might think. Most likely we will have 5 second round picks in the next six years. In a worst-case scenario we have two, but that would mean that we finish top-ten in the league next year and top-five in the league in 2017 and I don't think anybody would be complaining about the second-round picks in that case. But most likely we will never convey our 2015 and 2017 picks, and we've got a real good shot at getting the Knicks' 2016 pick. Only our 2014 and 2016 picks are irrevocably lost.

Other teams that have given away more picks than we have in the next six years:
New Orleans (4 remaining)
Brooklyn (at most 4, possibly 3 remaining)
Clippers (3 remaining)
Knicks (at most 3, possibly 2 remaining)
Portland (2 remaining)
Golden State (1 remaining)

Additionally there are three teams with 4/5, two with 5, and one with 5/6. So that puts us somewhere at the edge of the bottom third and the middle third in terms of how many second-round picks teams have. It's really not that bad.

Notably, Philadelphia has 13 second-round picks over the next 6 years, which is completely unsustainable. (There are also several teams with 9/10.) Many of those picks will be obviously up for sale, so it's not like there's no way to get one of those picks if there's a player we like.

Actually, it's not nearly as dire as you might think. Most likely we will have 5 second round picks in the next six years. In a worst-case scenario we have two, but that would mean that we finish top-ten in the league next year and top-five in the league in 2017 and I don't think anybody would be complaining about the second-round picks in that case. But most likely we will never convey our 2015 and 2017 picks, and we've got a real good shot at getting the Knicks' 2016 pick. Only our 2014 and 2016 picks are irrevocably lost.

Other teams that have given away more picks than we have in the next six years:
New Orleans (4 remaining)
Brooklyn (at most 4, possibly 3 remaining)
Clippers (3 remaining)
Knicks (at most 3, possibly 2 remaining)
Portland (2 remaining)
Golden State (1 remaining)

Additionally there are three teams with 4/5, two with 5, and one with 5/6. So that puts us somewhere at the edge of the bottom third and the middle third in terms of how many second-round picks teams have. It's really not that bad.

Notably, Philadelphia has 13 second-round picks over the next 6 years, which is completely unsustainable. (There are also several teams with 9/10.) Many of those picks will be obviously up for sale, so it's not like there's no way to get one of those picks if there's a player we like.
Thanks for the info. I guess it looks worse than it is. Especially having traded for players that didn't stay around for long. I was looking forward to this draft because I think there is some talent that can slip to late first round into the second.

I really want us to look at Jusuf Nurkic if he falls to the 2nd round. This kid is a lottery worthy talent, and if he indeed falls he is probably the best low risk high reward player in this draft at the 2nd round.

He really does remind you of DeMarcus when you see him on film.

I really want us to look at Jusuf Nurkic if he falls to the 2nd round. This kid is a lottery worthy talent, and if he indeed falls he is probably the best low risk high reward player in this draft at the 2nd round.

Yeah, his game really is similar to DeMarcus'. Not a good fit but you obviously take him if he's there in the 2nd. Only we don't have a 2nd rounder... Not yet, anyway.

Would be nice if we can acquire a mid-late 1st rounder by way of 2nd rounders. Liking the UCLA prospects (Jordan Adams on a diet + Kyle Anderson) and what they could bring to the team for a cheap rookie contract.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Would be nice if we can acquire a mid-late 1st rounder by way of 2nd rounders. Liking the UCLA prospects (Jordan Adams on a diet + Kyle Anderson) and what they could bring to the team for a cheap rookie contract.
Huh? Since Kings have no 2nd rounders this year, how do you propose to do that? And how would Kings acquire a mid-late 1st rounder to boot?

isn't that guy a top10 prospect? is there any reason to think that he might falls this far?

Various mocks have him as a 2nd rounder, and I believe the current perception is he isn't a lottery pick atleast at the moment.

I do believe he warrants a lottery pick based on talent and age alone, though.

was just confused, since DX has him going top10. apparently he should go somewhere in the late twenties, at least according to SLC Dunk's consensus player rankings.
Mock drafts are crap. He is a lottery pic because we are talking about a bad draft and he is a center with a hight ceiling and good offensive game (I think he is the best center in this draft. Better than embiid). But sometimes europeans players falls into the 2º round is because they could not to play in USA. We have a lot of examples about that like mirotic. So some teams don't want to spend a 1º round in them. But when they don't care to wait, it's different. I think nurkic is a top-5 pic. What is more, he is the only one player I say, "I want him in my team".

I think as a 2º rounder, glenn robinson could be interesting

Mock drafts are poopoo. He is a lottery pic because we are talking about a bad draft and he is a center with a hight ceiling and good offensive game (I think he is the best center in this draft. Better than embiid). But sometimes europeans players falls into the 2º round is because they could not to play in USA. We have a lot of examples about that like mirotic. So some teams don't want to spend a 1º round in them. But when they don't care to wait, it's different. I think nurkic is a top-5 pic. What is more, he is the only one player I say, "I want him in my team".

I think as a 2º rounder, glenn robinson could be interesting
well, we most certainly aren't talking about a weak draft and I also disagree with the notion that all mock drafts are useless. specifically DX has been pretty good overall (excluding maybe last year's draft, when nobody had even the slightest clue what was going on). at the very least, I've never seen DX been so off that somebody they predict to be a top10 pick would fall out of the first round entirely. then again, there's still a lot of revising to be done on these drafts so who knows. it just seems unlikely that we'd be able to get Nurkic with a hypothetical 2nd rounder we don't even have yet. nevermind that he wouldn't exactly be a good fit, seeing as he looks to be a low-fi version of Cuz.

well, we most certainly aren't talking about a weak draft and I also disagree with the notion that all mock drafts are useless. specifically DX has been pretty good overall (excluding maybe last year's draft, when nobody had even the slightest clue what was going on). at the very least, I've never seen DX been so off that somebody they predict to be a top10 pick would fall out of the first round entirely. then again, there's still a lot of revising to be done on these drafts so who knows. it just seems unlikely that we'd be able to get Nurkic with a hypothetical 2nd rounder we don't even have yet. nevermind that he wouldn't exactly be a good fit, seeing as he looks to be a low-fi version of Cuz.
Jerry west, danny ainge, jim boeheim and a lost of scouters say that it will be a poor draft because there aren't game changers. Also ainge said that mocks draft aren't accurate till a week before the draft. And I'm agreed. For example muhammad last year was perennial nº1 later it was noel. And I think that givony isn't a good scouter. But I have to say in his favour that isn't bad (comparing with the rest) when we are talking about europeans players.

It is very difficult that nurkic will be picked as a 2º rounder because he has a good potential and he is a center. But pekovic was a 2º rounder, you should remember that. Euro players prefer to be a 2º round than a mid-late 1º. I think that he should be a top-5 but with euro-picks, you never know.

In spain a lot of people (almost every spaniard fan) don't like givony as a scouter. And in spain basketball isn't a massive sport. So, for this reason we have a good avarage of basketball knowledge. In fact spaniard basket forums have much better level than football/soccer (our massive sport) forums. I don't know in other places. But here isn't difficult to hear or to read that he is overrated. And the most important is that people like givony aren't real scouters, they are just fans. I think the best of them is deanondraft. He looks like a UK hater but knowing that, n my oppinion he is the best.

Jerry west, danny ainge, jim boeheim and a lost of scouters say that it will be a poor draft because there aren't game changers. Also ainge said that mocks draft aren't accurate till a week before the draft. And I'm agreed. For example muhammad last year was perennial nº1 later it was noel. And I think that givony isn't a good scouter. But I have to say in his favour that isn't bad (comparing with the rest) when we are talking about europeans players.

It is very difficult that nurkic will be picked as a 2º rounder because he has a good potential and he is a center. But pekovic was a 2º rounder, you should remember that. Euro players prefer to be a 2º round than a mid-late 1º. I think that he should be a top-5 but with euro-picks, you never know.

In spain a lot of people (almost every spaniard fan) don't like givony as a scouter. And in spain basketball isn't a massive sport. So, for this reason we have a good avarage of basketball knowledge. In fact spaniard basket forums have much better level than football/soccer (our massive sport) forums. I don't know in other places. But here isn't difficult to hear or to read that he is overrated. And the most important is that people like givony aren't real scouters, they are just fans. I think the best of them is deanondraft. He looks like a UK hater but knowing that, n my oppinion he is the best.
well, saying that it's a weak draft still strikes me as odd, considering how deep the draft is and how many players in it at least have star potential. a weak draft, imo, is a draft like last year's, where there's barely an impact player to be found. same for 2006 or 2001. opinions may differ on the precise quality of the draft, but most analysts agree that this one is fairly strong.

as far as being able to predict where Nurkic will land, I definitely agree that mocks won't be even close to being precise until very close to the draft. too much depends upon workouts, etc. also, I wouldn't be able to say with any confidence how good he'll be, what with the questions about his being able to play 30+ minutes and his subpar play in competitions superior to Adriatic League play. it's the reason that I originally asked if there's something known about him that would make him fall out of the first round. I just have trouble recalling any prospect being rated as highly on such a high-profile site as DX and then falling so far. the only one I can remember falling that badly was I think Martynas Andriuškevičius, and he completely bombed a few workouts, IIRC.

lastly, I don't think you can equate basketball being a niche sport in a country with those few being comparatively smarter about it. I'm from Germany, where basketball is pretty much nonexistent and I definitely wouldn't say that the level of discourse among German basketball forums is higher than it is in the US. rather the opposite, mostly. it's probably got more to do with how in good the access to basketball coverage and good basketball analysis is. if your basketball coverage is comprehensive and good, you're more likely to have a lot of smart fans. not so much the case in Germany, for instance.

well, saying that it's a weak draft still strikes me as odd, considering how deep the draft is and how many players in it at least have star potential. a weak draft, imo, is a draft like last year's, where there's barely an impact player to be found. same for 2006 or 2001. opinions may differ on the precise quality of the draft, but most analysts agree that this one is fairly strong.

as far as being able to predict where Nurkic will land, I definitely agree that mocks won't be even close to being precise until very close to the draft. too much depends upon workouts, etc. also, I wouldn't be able to say with any confidence how good he'll be, what with the questions about his being able to play 30+ minutes and his subpar play in competitions superior to Adriatic League play. it's the reason that I originally asked if there's something known about him that would make him fall out of the first round. I just have trouble recalling any prospect being rated as highly on such a high-profile site as DX and then falling so far. the only one I can remember falling that badly was I think Martynas Andriuškevičius, and he completely bombed a few workouts, IIRC.

lastly, I don't think you can equate basketball being a niche sport in a country with those few being comparatively smarter about it. I'm from Germany, where basketball is pretty much nonexistent and I definitely wouldn't say that the level of discourse among German basketball forums is higher than it is in the US. rather the opposite, mostly. it's probably got more to do with how in good the access to basketball coverage and good basketball analysis is. if your basketball coverage is comprehensive and good, you're more likely to have a lot of smart fans. not so much the case in Germany, for instance.
Deep doesn't mean good. Analysts? Or are you talking about journalists and fans? Journalist aren't scouters. And scouters and GM are saying that this draft has no rellevant players. For example PDA said that this is a good draft but he wasn't talking about top-players, he was talking about steals and 2º round pics, he was talking about what kings need. Usually a draft is good when has top players, this is a "common" idea. And pleple who knows a lot of basket are saying that this draft won't. In fact, ainge said that this will be similar to the 2013 draft, a little better.

If you are european you must to know that european player don't follow the same rules to be drafted

I think you missundertood me. I've only said that in spain there is an "homegeneous" about this matter and there are a good average knowledge because almost every fan has played basketball (knows the game). Also i said that I can not say what people think in other places, becouse i don't know. In addition i think americans have higher average knowledge of sport than in other places like spain because they play more sports and if you play sports is easier to know the game. And if we talk about the medias, american press is amazing comparing with spaniard. Finally I think you have given too much relevance to the less important point. The most important is that we can not think that you have to believe everything that a non-scouter says. Because for example that people said some things about DMC, and scouters said very different things. Now we know that scouters had the reason.

A poor draft? Since when?

Deep doesn't mean good. Analysts? Or are you talking about journalists and fans? Journalist aren't scouters. And scouters and GM are saying that this draft has no rellevant players. For example PDA said that this is a good draft but he wasn't talking about top-players, he was talking about steals and 2º round pics, he was talking about what kings need. Usually a draft is good when has top players, this is a "common" idea. And pleple who knows a lot of basket are saying that this draft won't. In fact, ainge said that this will be similar to the 2013 draft, a little better.
why shouldn't deep mean good? if you can get an impact player well into the twenties, then that's a good draft, by most definitions. it's mostly a matter of perspective. if you're only concerned with superstar/franchise level talent, then this draft might not be it. remains to be seen, though, as some of the players featured in it might yet get there. as far as Ainge is concerned, he has his own agenda and I'd tend to trust claims an NBA executive makes about an upcoming draft about as far as I'd be able to throw said executive.

If you are european you must to know that european player don't follow the same rules to be drafted
historically accurate and for reasons mostly related to contract structures of 2nd round picks that are more beneficial to international prospects already earning money playing basketball still mostly the case. however, I think international scouting has advanced dramatically over the last few years and people do have a firmer grip on where a prospect's strengths and limitations are than they did back when Nikoloz Tskitishvili was drafted fifth. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you here, as Nurkic seems to be all over the board at this point, but especially big man prospects tend to be drafted higher, especially ones with his kind of skillset.

I think you missundertood me. I've only said that in spain there is an "homegeneous" about this matter and there are a good average knowledge because almost every fan has played basketball (knows the game). Also i said that I can not say what people think in other places, becouse i don't know. In addition i think americans have higher average knowledge of sport than in other places like spain because they play more sports and if you play sports is easier to know the game. And if we talk about the medias, american press is amazing comparing with spaniard. Finally I think you have given too much relevance to the less important point.
yeah, probably. the "And in spain basketball isn't a massive sport. So, for this reason we have a good avarage of basketball knowledge." threw me a bit. doesn't really matter anyway.

The most important is that we can not think that you have to believe everything that a non-scouter says. Because for example that people said some things about DMC, and scouters said very different things. Now we know that scouters had the reason.
the most healthy stance is probably to be very sceptical about what anybody says, at this point. professional scouts and team executives usually have their own agendas, too, and the season of smokescreens is pretty much upon us.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

The last people you should listen to are NBA GM's. They usually have an agenda. And who the hell cares what Boeheim thinks?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Well if Jim Boeheim said it, it must be true.