"No Apologies: Matt Barnes, the NBA's Last Tough Guy is Still Ready for a Fight"

When he's on an opposing team, he rubs a lot of fans the wrong way (as he does players, of course). As did Reggie Evans. But unlike Evans, Barnes has some skills. He will help the Kings and DMC this year. I'm looking forward to it.
I'd like to see Casspi as the starter because he can stretch the floor with his 3-point shooting. Then Gay is the first off the bench for offense and Barnes the first off the bench for defense. Whenever two of those three are on the court at the same time, that qualifies as small-ball. And that's about as far as I want to go toward small-ball. Screw having two PGs on the floor at the same time. You give up too much on defense (unless maybe one of those PGs is Tyreke Evans).

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
The days of tough nosed players seem to be fading out, im glad Barnes is on this team. The retirement of Kevin Garnett the other day made me realise how soft this league is getting and it is going to be quite refreshing to see some toughness on this team for once.

K

KingMilz

The days of tough nosed players seem to be fading out, im glad Barnes is on this team. The retirement of Kevin Garnett the other day made me realise how soft this league is getting and it is going to be quite refreshing to see some toughness on this team for once.
What exactly makes KG/Barnes tough? If it's dirty/cheap fouls than that's not tough but if it's cause they play hard (which there is tons of guys currently in the NBA that do) that makes more sense. I think the NBA is less dirty but there's tons of "tough" guys who go and play all out with little regard for there body.

I like Matt Barnes but the reality is he's not the "last tough guy" nor has he ever been in a actual fight in the NBA unless you consider trash talking and a little pushing while waiting for the whole team to jump in and get between it fighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the entire article last night, to be honest, didn't like Matt Barnes in the beginning, I only watch NBA for about 8 years and in all those years I never really respected him and never was a fan of him, although I appreciated his hustle and grinding...
As the years moved on I started to find an interest in his game, an "in your face" attitude to the game, scuffles with Jason Terry, Serge Ibaka, Kobe Bryant, Alston and more...
After reading this article I comprehended that his teammates feel safe around him because they know he will always have their back and it's a major thing for our Kings squad.
The article gave us a wonderful sight to Barnes's background, even though it contained many obscenities, reading that he had to fight because he was never belonged, that he was given to his father's temper and short fuze.

I am sure he can now adhere to his tough style of basketball play and I am sure he will dovetail in the best way.

As it was mentioned before, Barnes is the only last true tough guy in the NBA after Garnett's retirement.

He's easily one of the most hated players on opposing teams both by fans and players. Glad Boogie got rid of one of his monkeys off his back.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Should be noted that back in the era when there were great centers they almost ALWAYS had a tough guy, a provocateur, a bit of nasty, as a wingman, and it wasn't by accident. You put those players there not only to help the center establish a physical tone, but to watch his back, and to draw fire for him. The center is the franchise, so you get Oakley or PJ Brown or Rodman, or Ho Grant or Maurice Lucas or Dale Davis or Rambis or Horry etc. etc. to bang around and fight his fights. Its just that in an earlier age the tough guys were of a bigger class than Matt.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It was interesting to see how involved Matt Barnes was at Fanfest (at least on the live stream). The dude wound up being the person to address the crowd after player intros and was the scrimmage ref. While I don't think Matt'll ever be cuddly out there, he appears to be poised to become, at the very least, the Sacramento Kings version of the wily uncle who's been living out in the mountains for the past ten years who smells like moonshine and pees in the front yard but is very good at outdoorsey things and being a father figure and stuff.

It was interesting to see how involved Matt Barnes was at Fanfest (at least on the live stream). The dude wound up being the person to address the crowd after player intros and was the scrimmage ref. While I don't think Matt'll ever be cuddly out there, he appears to be poised to become, at the very least, the Sacramento Kings version of the wily uncle who's been living out in the mountains for the past ten years who smells like moonshine and pees in the front yard but is very good at outdoorsey things and being a father figure and stuff.
He is also a guy you want standing by your side if trouble starts.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I remember Matt from his first stint playing with Sacramento, never once did I expect him to last in the league as long as he has strictly as an enforcer. He's carved out a nice career for himself, everything really does come full circle. Even if Matt is here for this season only, one thing that is for certain is that he will have his teammates back, no ifs or buts about it.

Last edited:
It is hard to realize how strong and physical, the NBA still is unless you see it live from the first few rows. Some players are very emotional and physical in their play. Most are physical and quiet about it. Just wacht the banging that goes on during each free throw. The NBA used to be a bunch of slim thoroughbreds racing up and down the floor with a few dominant big men. Now the 3, 4 and 5 players are weight lifters. Some of the 2s are physically imposing. The days of emotionally out of control players might be fading.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
It is hard to realize how strong and physical, the NBA still is unless you see it live from the first few rows. Some players are very emotional and physical in their play. Most are physical and quiet about it. Just wacht the banging that goes on during each free throw. The NBA used to be a bunch of slim thoroughbreds racing up and down the floor with a few dominant big men. Now the 3, 4 and 5 players are weight lifters. Some of the 2s are physically imposing. The days of emotionally out of control players might be fading.
I disagree

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I just stumbled across this video of Matt Barnes giving Marc J. Spears a tour of the new arena.

One interesting thing I heard Matt say was that Chris Webber was coming in to check it out next week. The video was filmed after the media day so I'm guessing that would have taken place a few weeks ago.

Anybody hear anything about CWebb coming to town?

http://theundefeated.com/videos/tour-the-new-sacramento-kings-arena-with-forward-matt-barnes/