nice blog article on the value of the arena

I don't post much to the board, but I read the forum several times a day. I found this article on one the blog sites dedicated to life in sacramento. I felt it was well written, and thought people would appreciate the article here.

Enjoy

http://livinginurbansac.blogspot.com/

LivingInUrbanSac

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Sacramento Civil War: The Arena Debate

I have stayed away from this topic since there was nothing ever finalized. Finally after 6 years the debate has come to the forefront.

Bottom line for me: We need this arena.

I hear so many arguments against this and many times they are very shortsighted and only make this out to be about the Kings and the Maloofs. Those people are wrong.

We hear a lot about how it will energize downtown, yeah that may be the case for the Railyards, but downtown is already on it's way. This is truly about quality of life here in Sacramento and how to make it even better.

*People argue that entertainment dollars simply shift from one location to another locally.
While that may be the case in other cities, that is not the case here in Sacramento. Other cities, such as SF, have multiple facilities that can hold large events. If they lose one, the event will most likely go to another venue.

Think about it, here in Sacramento, we have Arco Arena and that is it for major concerts. Sorry, but I don't see Bocelli or U2 performing at the Memorial. Anyone in Sacramento that wants to see those performances will now have to travel to the Bay Area for shows...thus taking all their entertainment dollars with them. Of those 17,317 people that go to events at Arco, how many of them do you think go out to dinner or drinks before hand? 1/4? 1/3? Whatever the amount is, that money that people spend at events will be leaving Sacramento.

Say what you want, but if the Maloofs leave, Arco is gone and we are stuck without a major venue for shows. We can look forward to spend $3-$4 a gallon and two hours each way to drive to the Bay Area. I think we can tell which way those dollars are heading

*I can't afford to go to Kings game.
It makes me laugh when I hear people talk about how they can't go to Kings game because it's too expensive. Yes, there are really some people who can't afford to go to a Kings game, but a majority of those people who say that are wrong.

You can go to a game and pay a whopping $10 per ticket, add a couple bucks for ticketmaster charge and that's $12 a ticket.

Oh but the parking and the food!!!
Don't want to pay the high prices for bad food..guess what? Try eating at home before the game. Don't want to pay $8 for a beer? Kill a 6 pack in the parking lot before the game.
Don't want to pay $10 for parking? Park at the Safeway or Raley's and walk 15 mins.

You can go to a Kings game for about the same price as going to a movie or 2 daily Starbuck runs. There are cheap ways to go to a game. You don't have to sit front court with 3 beers and 2 hot dogs to be at the game and enjoy yourself

*I don't want my tax dollars going for something I don't use.
That argument holds no water. My taxes go toward quite a few things that I don't use or think I should have to pay for. Since when did we get to check off on our tax returns what we want our taxes to go toward?

The classic example is I don't have kids yet, why should I have my taxes go toward schools I may never even use them. When I have kids I may send them to private school..why should I pay taxes?

Why? Because it's for the betterment of the city, that is why. Just like the arena will be.

*There are other needs.
There will always been other needs. There will always been homeless, poor people, pot holes and other things. Other cites have them and will always have them, we have them and will always have them. The difference is those cities also realize it's not a choice of one or the other. With this tax that equates to $0.25 cents per $100 on TAXABLE goods we can start to take care of those things.

*Value of the Arena
We hear all about this being an "investment" in Sacramento. When you invest in something you want to see what the return on investment is. The problem is the only thing I heard people talk about is the monetary return.

I REALLY REALLY wish people would think of the non-monetary value ("value" is such a subjective word)

For me, there is nothing like a watching a game at neighborhood bar or restaurant where everyone is the place is there for one thing...to root for our home team.

I can be sitting next to a ditch digger, a lawyer, a doctor, a teacher, an executive manager but for those two hours all socioeconomic go out the door and everyone is there for the one common cause...to watch the Kings kick the crap out of the Lakers. (I hate you Horry!!)

There are very few things in this city that can do that.

There is "value" in that. The value of civic pride. The value of seeing the Wells Fargo Building lite up in purple as the Kings and Monarchs make their playoffs runs, the value of civic camaraderie.

I heard someone at the County Supervisions meetings say something that totally stuck with me.
(Paraphrased)

"I don't want to have to drive to the Bay Area to create my memories. I want them in my home city"

-The memories of taking your children or grandchildren to see the Wiggles with a big smile on their face.

-The memories of taking your daughter to the latest boy band concert with the smile and satisfaction of knowing how much that meant to her.

- The memories of how excited you felt during game 5 of the conference finals when Mike Bibby hit that game winning shot in game while Chris Webber layed out Derek Fisher.

- The memories of how painful it was when Robert Horry hit that game winning 3 pointer at the buzzer of game 4.

-The memories of taking your son or daughter in person or on TV to his first Kings or Monarchs game with jersey that sports the name "Sacramento" on the front. (I have them in storage already for my first son)

-The memories of seeing some of the most entertaining, famous and talented performers and musical acts in the world. Bocelli, U2, Yanni, Elton John, Mariah Carey, Johan Strauss Orchestra, Champions on Ice, Ringling Brothers, ..the list go on and on!

Talk about "value". I want those values HERE in MY home city, Sacramento

____

I hope people realize that there will be many many other things Sacramento will be able to do with this money than just the arena. There will be an additional 600-700 MILLION dollars that Sacramento can invest in itself. More parks, more police, more fire stations, more libraries, helping the homeless, maybe a new museum or performing arts center.

Where will this money come from if we don't appove this?

There is something in this ballot measure for everyone. Let's not get blinded by the short sightedness of people that only want to make this about the Kings and Maloofs. This is about MUCH MUCH more than just basketball.

If it were just the Kings I would say, yeah it sucks but we will be fine. But when looking at the big picture, we need this new facility.

I urge people to vote YES on both measures in November.

posted by LivingInUrbanSac at 9:47 AM 0 comments

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks!

This is a great read, and I'm going to mark it for future reference. I think the writer does a wonderful job of addressing some of those key points we've been talking about.

Thanks again for finding it and posting it here.

Thanks. I'm printing it up and taking it to work. I might also accidentally leave it around town, as I do a lot of travel in the area.

I can be sitting next to a ditch digger, a lawyer, a doctor, a teacher, an executive manager but for those two hours all socioeconomic go out the door and everyone is there for the one common cause...to watch the Kings kick the crap out of the Lakers. (I hate you Horry!!)

There are very few things in this city that can do that.
:D

That is exactly what I have been saying. There are some things you just can't put a price tag on. Some of my most precious childhood memories are of games at Dodger Stadium with my family. I saw Sandy Koufax's no-hitter against Marichal's Giants in person! A few dollars for a priceless family memory.

It seems as much anti-rich Maloofs as anti-arena. If so, Sacramento may think its getting back at the Maloofs and find they've only poked themselves in the eye with a sharp stick.

After all, it won't hurt the Maloofs at all to move elsewhere and tear down Arco.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And that's it in a nutshell, kenna. R.E. Graswich has sold the good people of Sacramento down the river with his "billionaire owner Maloofs" tripe. Even now, he continues to snipe at them and the ballot measures, totally ignoring everything good that could happen for the entire region.

That's why the focus has to be on more than just the Maloofs, more than just the Kings/Monarchs. It has to be about SACRAMENTO and the entire northern Sacramento Valley, the foothills, the upper Sierras and everywhere else that benefits in one way or another by the proximity of a state-of-the-arts venue.

People like R.E. Graswich will always hate. People like the writer of this blog, whomever he may be, are the kinds of people who don't just scream shrilly about how bad things are. They actually have visions for our area. And theyre the people I hope will continue to step up and allow their voices to be heard.

Gee, that guy gets it. What's so tough that the Bee can't figure it out? What the hell is RE and the gang going to beyatch about if the Kings are gone? Who the heck will even read their paper if there is no Sports section?:D

Unfortunately, its easy to ***** and be negative and tear everything down. That takes no brains or creativity. What is amazing is that RE gets paid to do it.:rolleyes:

Excellent blog!

That person did what needs to be done "officially", ie, address each of the key points against the measure and EDUCATE.

Great points are made, and I would hope we get some sort of reaction from arena opponents here to see what their impressions were from reading it and any counter-points they have.