NFL discussion thread for 2015-2016

Worst 49er season ever. York runs Harbaugh out of town. Off seasons scuffles about class. 49ers decide to upgrade their DL coach to HC.. Best defensive coach in the NFL leaves. Gore decides to leave. Justin Smith decides to retire..now Patrick Willis is looking to retire. Not to mention all the injuries and what not....

This is so depressing... how can you be a 9er and Kings fan at the same time? I don't get it :(.

9ers went from 2nd best team in the NFL to ass cheeks over night :(. This is sooo sad.

Well, losing three of the biggest stars on the team in one offseason sucks as a fan, but I don't know that it really affects the team's ability on the field that much. Bowman/Borland/Wilhoite is still better than what the team had last year. Smith has been dealing with injuries and not as dominant the last few years, and Darnell Dockett will help fill the void if he retires. And Gore has to slow down at some point. I'd have preferred to see him retire as a 49er but between Hyde, a draft pick and a free-agent pickup I think RB will be ok.

It remains to be seen whether Tomsula/Mangini/Chryst will be good choices, but I wouldn't dare put being a 49er fan and a Kings fan in the same breath with respect to depression.

Well, losing three of the biggest stars on the team in one offseason sucks as a fan, but I don't know that it really affects the team's ability on the field that much. Bowman/Borland/Wilhoite is still better than what the team had last year. Smith has been dealing with injuries and not as dominant the last few years, and Darnell Dockett will help fill the void if he retires. And Gore has to slow down at some point. I'd have preferred to see him retire as a 49er but between Hyde, a draft pick and a free-agent pickup I think RB will be ok.

It remains to be seen whether Tomsula/Mangini/Chryst will be good choices, but I wouldn't dare put being a 49er fan and a Kings fan in the same breath with respect to depression.
I think I would. Both FO have been terrible this season.. Kings terrible handling of the Malone situation, and the 49ers terrible handling of the Harbaugh situation. Not to mention how much York talks his nonsense. 49ers also messed up the handling of Adam Gase and that HC situation.

I disagree with you a bit. Willis is our best ILB even at his age. Borland has proved he can produce, but replacing Willis with Borland won't give you the same result. Our hope is that Bowman rehabs 100% and he comes back fully healthy. That's just our hope..

I think Smith has low numbers because a lot of the things he does doesn't show up in the stat sheet. Who knows how many openings he's created for Aldon over the years for a sack. Smith is the leader of our defense.

Both Willis and Smith are the vets and leaders. You take them away, and the foundation is damaged. I can see Bowman and Bethea as our leaders next year.

Hopefully Hyde will be better in prime time and Hunter comes back healthy. I agree with you on Gore. On the field, I think we will miss his vet leadership. It was bound to happen, but it's happened in the same season where we lose 2 other great 9ers. All 3 will go in 9er HOF.

Compare to the spot we were at in 2013 to now. 1 year gap.. and everything has exploded.

I think the Smith signing crosses Crabtree out. I think we upgrade a bit, but replacing Iupati will be something we hope the younger guys can step up and do.

Lots of blind betting this season, hoping our young guys will pan out.
This team has a total revamp. I don't like the coaching choices, but it's a waiting game.. time to anticipate the draft.

I'm not saying I'm excited for what this season holds. Definitely nervous.

But the Kings haven't sniffed .500 in how many years? Or even .350 for that matter. The 49ers still have talent. They still have a pretty good GM. They have a stable owner and a new stadium. Let's not minimize our basketball suffering by comparing it to football. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I tend to agree with uolj about the 49ers. Willis only played 6 games last season, Justin Smith has been in a steady decline and Frank Gore isn't getting any younger. I, too, have a lot of faith in Hyde. If we're going to retool, this is the year to do it. I'm just very happy the one rumor that upset me the most turned out to be untrue.

GO NINERS!

I have never experienced a sports day like today.

Willis retires
Smith retires
Gore gets traded, then backs out.
Kap is rumored to be on the trading block.
And tonight we find out Bruce Miller is arrested for battery on his ex wife.

This once proud niners franchise is a laughing stock. :eek::(o_O

How can I forget? ESPN reported that Bowman could potentially be cut for health reasons.
Crabtree is negotiating with the Bills and Iupati just committed to the Cardinals.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. Gore wasn't traded. He's a free agent and withdrew from his agreement with the Eagles pending his decision on the 1 yr $4mill offer he received from the 49ers.
2. The rumors of Kap being traded have been thoroughly and completely denounced.

The other stuff... well, it's not all good news.

I wouldn't believe ESPN about Bowman, though. At least, not yet. :)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Willis is a smart man to call it quits at the age of 30 considering the position he plays and the beatings his body takes game to game, year to year. The shelf life for these players are diminishing by the years because of the injuries sustained in their playing careers and not wanting to deal with it after retirement.

Willis is a smart man to call it quits at the age of 30 considering the position he plays and the beatings his body takes game to game, year to year. The shelf life for these players are diminishing by the years because of the injuries sustained in their playing careers and not wanting to deal with it after retirement.
totally agree.
Willis mentioned multiple times today how bad his feet are. His feet failed him.
Willis was a great football player, even better person.

Except that is nowhere near the level of disaster that the Kings are in that (a) they have a great GM with a successful track record, (b) have a winning culture in place (more importantly, experience winning), (c) a talented roster with a good mix of veterans and youngsters, and (d) a front office that runs like a well-oiled machine and generally puts pieces together the right way
(a) Balke has whiffed on a whole lot of high draft picks these last few years, leaving us with no real players in the pipeline.
(b) The winning culture was almost entirely Harbaugh, Gore, Willis. Those guys were the heart and soul of the team. Not the owner, not the GM. Guess who we have left? The owner, the GM.
(c) Aldon Smith is a question mark, Justin Smith is probably gone, Iupati gone, Willis is gone, Bowman can't pass a physical, Culliver gone, Cox gone. We're losing Crabtree and Stevie Johnson. Bruce Miller arrested. And the guy who was able to keep our defense respectable after all the injuries, Vic Vangio, is also gone.
(d) The front office that handled the Harbaugh mess in a public and tacky manner? The front office that turned away the guy that every player wanted to follow into battle? Leaving nothing but a MASS exodus of players and personnel?

The only way the niners are salvageable this year is if ALL our young guys pan out.

Get hard driving coach that all players love, buy into, and get the most out of the players? Check. Best coach in a long time fired for petty power struggle reasons? Check. Misdraft young players so there is no depth? Check. Let talent walk for nothing? Check. Alienate a fan base and have everyone ask, "WTF are you doing, you idiot?" Check. Oh yeah, WAAAAAY different.

For those that don't follow football, none of this is made up. This all just happened. And a lot of the guys that are gone are Pro-Bowlers (All-Stars). A couple will be HOF contention.

(a) Balke has whiffed on a whole lot of high draft picks these last few years, leaving us with no real players in the pipeline.
(b) The winning culture was almost entirely Harbaugh, Gore, Willis. Those guys were the heart and soul of the team. Not the owner, not the GM. Guess who we have left? The owner, the GM.
(c) Aldon Smith is a question mark, Justin Smith is probably gone, Iupati gone, Willis is gone, Bowman can't pass a physical, Culliver gone, Cox gone. We're losing Crabtree and Stevie Johnson. Bruce Miller arrested. And the guy who was able to keep our defense respectable after all the injuries, Vic Vangio, is also gone.
(d) The front office that handled the Harbaugh mess in a public and tacky manner? The front office that turned away the guy that every player wanted to follow into battle? Leaving nothing but a MASS exodus of players and personnel?

The only way the niners are salvageable this year is if ALL our young guys pan out.

Get hard driving coach that all players love, buy into, and get the most out of the players? Check. Best coach in a long time fired for petty power struggle reasons? Check. Misdraft young players so there is no depth? Check. Let talent walk for nothing? Check. Alienate a fan base and have everyone ask, "WTF are you doing, you idiot?" Check. Oh yeah, WAAAAAY different.

For those that don't follow football, none of this is made up. This all just happened. And a lot of the guys that are gone are Pro-Bowlers (All-Stars). A couple will be HOF contention.
Kinda glad they are gone, Torrey is a great upgrade, and is locked up long term.

But lets act like Eric "walking concussion" Reid, Carlos Hyde, Chris Borland and Aaron Lynch wereʻnt drafted recently.

On Offense we have 2 Superbowl quality receivers, Frank Gores heir apparent in Carlos Hyde at RB, Franchise QB, high quality FB that may get suspended, our OLine isn't completely lost with Joe Staley and Anthony Davis, Alex Boone was good until he held out and just bottomed the **** out, with young guys like Marcus Martin starting at center and Brandon Thomas (that 1st rounder linemen that tore his ACL at a draft work out, we then stole in the 3rd round) should be inserted into Iupatis position, but crap at least we have 5 high quality line men with a mix of seasoned vets and young guys with potential. We have a blocking and deep threat TE as well, maybe he can put it together this year!

On defense we got 2 stud safeties in Bethea and Reid, hopefully Reid is able to correct his tackling technique to avoid concussions. Borland, Bowmen, Brooks and Aldon Smith is still a top 5 linebacking core. Iʻm pretty sure all of our CBs died, probably take another one in the 1st round. Iʻm not to worried about our D though, it was good before Harbaugh and Iʻm sure it will continue to be our most consistent unit.

Luckily free agency isnʻt over and Baalke has been great at flipping picks and getting some good prospects in 2-3-4, lets let the man work before we start the dumpster fire.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, Gore is gone and we've got Reggie Bush. Lots of personnel moves thus far. I can't wait to see what happens on Draft Day.

Kinda glad they are gone, Torrey is a great upgrade, and is locked up long term.

But lets act like Eric "walking concussion" Reid, Carlos Hyde, Chris Borland and Aaron Lynch wereʻnt drafted recently.

On Offense we have 2 Superbowl quality receivers, Frank Gores heir apparent in Carlos Hyde at RB, Franchise QB, high quality FB that may get suspended, our OLine isn't completely lost with Joe Staley and Anthony Davis, Alex Boone was good until he held out and just bottomed the **** out, with young guys like Marcus Martin starting at center and Brandon Thomas (that 1st rounder linemen that tore his ACL at a draft work out, we then stole in the 3rd round) should be inserted into Iupatis position, but poopoo at least we have 5 high quality line men with a mix of seasoned vets and young guys with potential. We have a blocking and deep threat TE as well, maybe he can put it together this year!

On defense we got 2 stud safeties in Bethea and Reid, hopefully Reid is able to correct his tackling technique to avoid concussions. Borland, Bowmen, Brooks and Aldon Smith is still a top 5 linebacking core. Iʻm pretty sure all of our CBs died, probably take another one in the 1st round. Iʻm not to worried about our D though, it was good before Harbaugh and Iʻm sure it will continue to be our most consistent unit.

Luckily free agency isnʻt over and Baalke has been great at flipping picks and getting some good prospects in 2-3-4, lets let the man work before we start the dumpster fire.
The real thing I'm worried about is how our defense will transition with a new DC. Fangio was a dang good DC with the bad injuries he had to deal with.

So, Gore is gone and we've got Reggie Bush. Lots of personnel moves thus far. I can't wait to see what happens on Draft Day.
I'm always excited about draft day in both NFL and NBA. I hate that there are so many teams in the NFL, and the draft itself, is loooong.

A lot of options in the 1st round

Add ILB to our draft list :( Chris Borland retired. Amazing rookie year.. what a terrible year for the 9ers. terrible terrible terrible. beyond terrible

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Add ILB to our draft list :( Chris Borland retired. Amazing rookie year.. what a terrible year for the 9ers. terrible terrible terrible. beyond terrible
And he retired out of fear of debilitating brain injuries. I think we're going to see more of this across the league as those guys weigh their futures.

And he retired out of fear of debilitating brain injuries. I think we're going to see more of this across the league as those guys weigh their futures.
Eric Reid has had at least 2 concussions in 2 seasons. I wonder if he'll follow this trend as well. I'm glad that players are finally opening their eyes to the long term consequences. Borland realized it a year after an amazing rookie year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Eric Reid has had at least 2 concussions in 2 seasons. I wonder if he'll follow this trend as well. I'm glad that players are finally opening their eyes to the long term consequences. Borland realized it a year after an amazing rookie year.
What bothers me is that a lot of the rule changes initiated in the NFL haven't helped. If anything, they've made things worse by forcing linemen into contorted positions to try NOT to get called for a penalty. I think we're seeing a lot more injuries to the line than ever before.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
add another player to the list under the age of 30 to retire from the NFL. This time it's 49ers rookie LB after only one season....I wonder how this trend will carry on in the future and will we be seeing more and more younger players calling it quits while they are in their prime.

Wait, what?

Baalke has been very good at drafting. Why do you think Carlos Hyde, Marcus Martin, Chris Borland, Aaron Lynch, among a bunch of others were able to come in and contribute? No players in the pipeline? The 49ers have more players in the pipeline than most teams. What about Thomas? Or Carradine? Or Ward? Or Gabbert? (Just kidding ;))

AJ Jenkins, Lattimore, LaMichael James, Patton, Vance, Hunter.

Hyde had one year as a backup. Not sure you can call that anything at this point. IMO, Baalke's tried and missed on the skill positions more often than not with his high draft picks. Kap wasn't even his choice. It was Harbaugh's.

And now you've seen that Borland is gone, which isn't Baalke's fault. Lemonier, Martin, Lynch, and Hyde all need to pan out bigtime for us to even be respectable this year. Tank is encouraging. I know player movement is big in NFL, but no team has lost this much talent in this many positions, especially accounting for coaching. We had a GREAT collection of coaches. Now it got all torn up prematurely.

Surely you see the parallels, right?

Draft picks miss more than they hit, so showing me a list of misses doesn't really back up your point, which was that the team lacks players in the pipeline.

And yes, of course I see some parallels between the Kings and 49ers. The replacing of a successful coach, which happened around the same time for both franchises, was a pretty clear similarity. Also, they're both building or have built a new arena or stadium.

But that's it. The Kings have sucked for years and were good for 1/5th of a season with the coach that was fired. The 49ers were very good for 3 years and mediocre last year. The Kings had one set of horrible owners who tried to move the team before being saved by fans, the mayor and a new set of owners. The 49ers haven't had an ownership change this century. The Kings new controlling owner is a wee bit eccentric, and has both said a few strange things and meddled in the running of the team on the court, advocating ideas that haven't been proven to be successful in the league. The 49ers CEO doesn't really meddle at all in the running of the team itself.

The 49ers GM is well respected (ranked 6 here and 5 here). We'll just say the Kings GM still has some work to do to approach that (ranked 22 here before the season).

Other than the coach firings, your only other real similarity is that the teams haven't drafted well and are therefore thin. But just last year the 49ers were being praised for their depth ("A stacked roster only got deeper and may be the NFL's best 53-man collection of talent." link) and the only reason it's a question now is the injuries and retirements that have occurred recently. And as I pointed out, they drafted a ton of contributors last year (89 games played by draft picks, 3rd in NFC - link) despite already having a deep team.

But really, the bottom line is that the Malone firing and aftermath was just the latest in a long line of screwups and sadness that has followed the Kings for decades, whereas the Harbaugh firing and aftermath was an odd blip during a very successful run, one of many the 49ers have had over those same decades. You simply cannot compare the two.

Yeah. You have to think that his days as a Niner are numbered at this point. I mean, how much of this can you endure as a GM/Owner before it becomes a distraction to everything that's going on???
And I am not saying that because I am a Cowboys fan, and Aldon Smith leaving the Niners will be good for me down the road. I am saying that as an unbiased fan of the game. At some point, you got to decide as an owner or a GM that enough is enough.

Holy crap, Bowman and Brooks are the only 2 players left on defense from that Super Bowl team....

This is just sad now. Under 8 wins next season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Niners had no choice but to cut Aldon Smith from the team. I sincerely hope Smith can get the help he obviously needs before he kills someone.

so disheartening....but not really sure what else they could do. The kid needs some help. This guy is/was the best pass rusher i have ever seen and my favorite current player. Really tough to be a Niner fan this last year and a half.