[NEWS] Vlade Divac Named Vice President of Basketball & Franchise Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Everybody loves Vlade. We've been saying as soon as he left that we need to find a way to bring him back to the organization. Whatever his day-to-day duties turn out to be, having him involved at all is a huge win for us. Welcome back Vlade!

I remember when Vivek first bought the team I emailed, maybe twittered him that he should look to bring Vlade in in some sort of capacity. Love the move.

I don't know.
I just don't know how I feel about this move.

On the one hand, I LOVE Vlade (he and Christie are my favorite Kings ever) and I feel he generally improves any group he's in.

But.
This move just reeks too much of PR and marketing for me to be too excited about.
And seeing how it came accompanied by the breathless, too-long-in-coming tease, it really envelops/slimes the personnel move in typical Vivek marketing fashion.

Throw in the fact that Vivek is desperately addicted to his "NBA 3.0" international concept, he gets absurd crushes for former-NBA-players and Vlade is the biggest international former-player, and you've got too many non-basketball reasons for this decision.

Throw in the fact that Vivek is desperately addicted to his "NBA 3.0" international concept, he gets absurd crushes for former-NBA-players and Vlade is the biggest international former-player, and you've got too many non-basketball reasons for this decision.
not to split hairs, but bringing in one of the game's most legendary international players and one of its most well-regarded statesman sounds rather like a "basketball reason" to me. i've been as critical of the new regime as anybody, but sometimes it seems as if people are desperately seeking opportunities to cast stones...

S

SacramentoKings

This 100% a PR move after Vivek's approval ratings from fans was at an all time low. Vlade is a great King but what resume does he really bring to the table as far as basketball operations? I love him (even though he's a Laker at heart), but this isn't really going to change anything for the better or worse.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This 100% a PR move after Vivek's approval ratings from fans was at an all time low. Vlade is a great King but what resume does he really bring to the table as far as basketball operations? I love him (even though he's a Laker at heart), but this isn't really going to change anything for the better or worse.
lol...

not to split hairs, but bringing in one of the game's most legendary international players and one of its most well-regarded statesman sounds rather like a "basketball reason" to me. i've been as critical of the new regime as anybody, but sometimes it seems as if people are desperately seeking opportunities to cast stones...

Agreed... They take positives and turn them into negatives by over-analyzing everything. Take it for what it is, a GOOD move...

Oh come on..... REALLY? So every good move in the future will be a PR move now?

Agreed... They take positives and turn them into negatives by over-analyzing everything. Take it for what it is, a GOOD move...
Overall I agree but how "good" it ends up being has a lot to do with what his role is, in coordination with all of the other people involved.

As a figurehead, international advisor he would be great. As a basketball personnel executive, we don't really know. As yet another voice in a sea of voices, I don't know that it's a good thing. Certainly not the management structure you want to set up with an inexperienced, meddlesome owner.

I guess my point is this. Like most here, I love Vlade and am thrilled to see him back in the organization. But would we be as excited if it wasn't Vlade but some other former non-king player set up in a vague role with our dysfunctional FO?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Overall I agree but how "good" it ends up being has a lot to do with what his role is, in coordination with all of the other people involved.

As a figurehead, international advisor he would be great. As a basketball personnel executive, we don't really know. As yet another voice in a sea of voices, I don't know that it's a good thing. Certainly not the management structure you want to set up with an inexperienced, meddlesome owner.

I guess my point is this. Like most here, I love Vlade and am thrilled to see him back in the organization. But would we be as excited if it wasn't Vlade but some other former non-king player set up in a vague role with our dysfunctional FO?
But it IS Vlade. We had "the other former non-King player in a vague role"...Chris Mullin. I think a lot of us are seeing this new appointment as a step in the right direction, and hopefully away from Mullin's interference.

But it IS Vlade. We had "the other former non-King player in a vague role"...Chris Mullin. I think a lot of us are seeing this new appointment as a step in the right direction, and hopefully away from Mullin's interference.
Oh, did Mullin interfere? Or did he help Ranadive in the making of important decisions? Is he still there? He never had Vlade's role.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh, did Mullin interfere? Or did he help Ranadive in the making of important decisions? Is he still there? He never had Vlade's role.
I do not like Mullin and I do not like the apparent Rasputinesque impact he had on Vivek. I believe he did indeed interfere in some decisions. You are, of course, free to disagree with my assessment. ;)

I never said he had Vlade's role. I said that Mullin fit the description sdballer used.

I do not like Mullin and I do not like the apparent Rasputinesque impact he had on Vivek. I believe he did indeed interfere in some decisions. You are, of course, free to disagree with my assessment. ;)

I never said he had Vlade's role. I said that Mullin fit the description sdballer used.
But any former player with no real experience running basketball operations fits that role, which is kind of my point. If they announced magic, shaq, etc. were taking on that role, I think we'd be right to be concerned about what the job meant and how it would fit.

Again, thrilled to have Vlade with the kings but I want to know more about what it actually means.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But any former player with no real experience running basketball operations fits that role, which is kind of my point. If they announced magic, shaq, etc. were taking on that role, I think we'd be right to be concerned about what the job meant and how it would fit.

Again, thrilled to have Vlade with the kings but I want to know more about what it actually means.
In Vlade's defense, he has had plenty of experience running basketball teams in Europe, was briefly a scout for the Lakers, and then ran the Olympic committee for an entire country. Now, I'm sure if he was particularly good doing any of those things but it's experience nevertheless.

In Vlade's defense, he has had plenty of experience running basketball teams in Europe, was briefly a scout for the Lakers, and then ran the Olympic committee for an entire country. Now, I'm sure if he was particularly good doing any of those things but it's experience nevertheless.
I actually think he could be a good front office guy but, even if so, I don't know how this all works.

Who is calling the shots? Vivek? PDA? Mullin? Vlade? Karl? There are way too many chiefs in there and their front office experience is severely lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.