[NEWS] Vlade Divac Named Vice President of Basketball & Franchise Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Being a bleed-purple, die-heard Kings fan seems somehow cooler now... Vlade has to be one of my favorite sports figures of all time... I cannot wait to see and hear more from him as it relates to the Kings. This is just fantastic news...

The George Karl signing restored my faith in Vivek... The Vlade signing is a +100... Long live Vlade! Long live Vivek!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Anybody know what that title means yet? Basketball operations sounds like it might be personnel related. Franchise operations sounds like...I dunno.

Vice President of Basketball Operations is a position whose duties seem to vary quite a bit from team to team. Doc Rivers is the head coach and senior VP of Basketball Operations for the Clippers. In some cases it is GM's title. In others it's the GM's right hand man. So I'll be curious what Vlade's actual duties are, but regardless, having him interact with the front office and the players in any capacity can only be a positive for this franchise.

Bricklayer

Okay, I missed that. Although based on that description...wasn't much to miss. That's one of those descriptions you see on resumes that immediately makes you ask the followup question "you did WHAT?" :p

The Euro scout aspects of it makes sense though. Otherwise he's just part of the organization I guess. Moving back to Sacto? Or going to do the Phil Jackson long distance consult/drop in thing?

Vlade Divac was once talked up and maybe still thought of as possible candidate for President of Serbia (and likely to be elected!) Now becoming Vice President for Kings World operations seems just as fitting. Congratulation and excellent selection Mr. Ranadive.

Okay, I missed that. Although based on that description...wasn't much to miss. That's one of those descriptions you see on resumes that immediately makes you ask the followup question "you did WHAT?" :p

The Euro scout aspects of it makes sense though. Otherwise he's just part of the organization I guess. Moving back to Sacto? Or going to do the Phil Jackson long distance consult/drop in thing?
That's why I'm a little excited, Vlade's got contacts, familiarity, and knows the international ways.

We may have to stop letting our second rounders go.

Give him an occasional pick to gamble with.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

In previous interviews/visits he said he planned on moving back to the states when all his kids were in college, which I believe after this school year they are.

I'd assume he'll at least have a part time residence in Sac.

Bricklayer

Ailene Voisin ‏@ailene_voisin 2m2 minutes ago
Vlade Divac to join Kings in San Antonio, accompany team for remainder of road trip. New VP wants to spend time with George Karl, players
Well that would be about the best possible early use for him. Or at least the one I'm most confident in. Assuming Karl doesn't feel threatened by it, Vlade was lockerroom gold. Don't have any idea of his basketball scouting ability, but have much confidence in his interpersonal abilities.

Well that would be about the best possible early use for him. Or at least the one I'm most confident in. Assuming Karl doesn't feel threatened by it, Vlade was lockerroom gold. Don't have any idea of his basketball scouting ability, but have much confidence in his interpersonal abilities.
Vlade has always seen the best in people.

He'll have the right people giving him leads, and a whole lot of fringe talent is probably going to attempt to make good impressions with him as well.

This may not pay dividends for awhile, but it will eventually.

And is good PR and marketing.

Great news. As soon as I read this I got on the horn with my son who works downtown. He had told me yesterday that he had gone to Zocalos restaurant and reported seeing Vlade and Granger and several other people in a group having ng lunch there. Now we know why.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I guess this is the good news that the other thread was mentioning about what it could possibly be. I don't know how I feel about this just yet but I suppose it won't hurt depending on how much responsibility he will be given from Vivek. I hope he isn't a puppet of his because I really feel Vlade knows his basketball so here's to Vlade!

Even without CWebb, between our owners and our front office, we've assembled one heck of a team of NBA players. Wonder how they'd fare against our starters in an exhibition game? I think the ol' guys would eat em alive until they got winded or wounded. Just watching Vlade and Shack play together at the 4 and 5 would be enormously fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.