New look feedback

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Personally not into the 'liking' of posts. Often becomes a popularity contest, and subconsciously has folks to some degree seeking other's approval posting their thoughts (not me).
Just part of the never-ending Facebook-ification of the internet. Not a fan of the "point" system that it seems to be tied to, but if "liking" a post will cut down on the "THIS" and "+1" madness, I consider it to be the far lesser of two evils.

If you think this is bad, you should have been around for the "Rep" system.

K

KingMilz

Only problem I got is struggling to see the page numbers underneath thread titles but other than that it's fine and looks clean

I have had four web sites and three are active. The fourth some may know. The last thing a person wants after busting their arse is petulant complaints over the energy they have expended. I will not miss ESP47 for his/her childish complaint. A web site is judged based on its content and its ability to maneuver around easily. Perhaps there are ways that our fearless leader can adjust this site to suit the complaints. If not, have patience. There are still the same old posters that we have learned to love and hate. :)
Get a grip. The thread is called "New look feedback" so I gave the new look feedback. It's not called "New look celebration" or "New look positive comments only". Just because what I said wasn't exactly positive feedback doesn't mean it's a childish comment. I know the hard work that goes into running a site and I also know that you can put a lot of hard work into improving something and have it come out worse for the wear in the end.

As far as more constructive criticism goes (Glenn, close your eyes if you can't handle this)...I think the posts need a 1/2" dark colored solid line in between them so they don't all run together. The background would look better as a slighter darker shade of gray to keep everything from looking white washed and the avatar boxes should be a different shade to keep them from blending in with the background. Also, I think the topics would look better just underlined without the bold font.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think the posts need a 1/2" dark colored solid line in between them so they don't all run together.
I think that would be way too thick. Right now there's about a 0.5-1 pt. gray line between posts. I think that a 2-3 pt. line would be fine, beyond that it would get cartoonishly large.

The background would look better as a slighter darker shade of gray to keep everything from looking white washed and the avatar boxes should be a different shade to keep them from blending in with the background.
I'm OK with the background as is - I guess that a very slight shift towards gray/cream wouldn't hurt much, but any change so severe that it required updating the color of the avatar boxes would be moving to a color scheme that was way too dark.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As far as more constructive criticism goes (Glenn, close your eyes if you can't handle this)...I think the posts need a 1/2" dark colored solid line in between them so they don't all run together. The background would look better as a slighter darker shade of gray to keep everything from looking white washed and the avatar boxes should be a different shade to keep them from blending in with the background. Also, I think the topics would look better just underlined without the bold font.
That's what I said without the snark.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That didn't hurt your eyes? I get severe eyestrain and really bad afterimages trying to read light text on a dark background.
I'm used to it which in a way is a message about the changes made here. We need to get used to it. A lot of people don't like white on black but I've never heard of any physical discomfort.

Edit: I see only one note I wrote was liked which is very disappointing. Sob! I am puzzled by the 38 points I have acquired. What's a "point?" Perhaps people are used to this "like" and "points" whatever they are but we are judged enough by people giving us feedback. Why keep score? If that's the way it is going to be, so be it, but I guarantee whether I am "liked" or not will have no impact whatsoever on what I post.

Further edit: I AM happy that VF21 "likes" me. :)

Last edited:
I think that would be way too thick. Right now there's about a 0.5-1 pt. gray line between posts. I think that a 2-3 pt. line would be fine, beyond that it would get cartoonishly large..
It's about 1/2" thick for most forums.

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62770-2013-nba-free-agents/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f74/tim-tebows-future-nfl-2336969/

The lakernation forum looks a lot like this one. It's difficult to read because there's hardly any contrast to it at all but they do at least have a decent sized divider between the posts.

The sherdog forum has the divider but it also has a nice contrast of gray to red that makes things extremely easy to read. Obviously the colors here aren't going to be as dark as that but it's the contrast that this look is lacking that makes it difficult to read along with the thin line dividing the posts. Light text/Medium background/Dark divider = easy to read and navigate. Those can probably be flipped around different ways but it's the contrast that makes the sherdog forum easy on the eyes compared to the laker forum and this one.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
It's about 1/2" thick for most forums.

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62770-2013-nba-free-agents/

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f74/tim-tebows-future-nfl-2336969/

The lakernation forum looks a lot like this one. It's difficult to read because there's hardly any contrast to it at all but they do at least have a decent sized divider between the posts.

The sherdog forum has the divider but it also has a nice contrast of gray to red that makes things extremely easy to read. Obviously the colors here aren't going to be as dark as that but it's the contrast that this look is lacking that makes it difficult to read along with the thin line dividing the posts. Light text/Medium background/Dark divider = easy to read and navigate. Those can probably be flipped around different ways but it's the contrast that makes the sherdog forum easy on the eyes compared to the laker forum and this one.
Concrete examples are nice, aren't they? Thanks. pshn80 wouldn't be able to read sherdog but that's for different reasons than the divider. You made your point well.

It also shows that it just ain't easy to set up the graphics to work best and by best I mean graphics that find a nice middle ground to suit most posters. Now, it depends on what Jeremy can actually do as there is usually not an unlimited amount of options available to him although I suspect forums are getting there. Let's be patient.

Maybe people who are active on forums should post links to give us all some ideas. Best of course is to use the same forum template as used here.

I'd love to play around with the graphics and colors. It takes awhile to satisfy yourself much less a few hundred people.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Get a grip. The thread is called "New look feedback" so I gave the new look feedback. It's not called "New look celebration" or "New look positive comments only". Just because what I said wasn't exactly positive feedback doesn't mean it's a childish comment.
Actually, it kind of was. It wasn't the "I didn't like it" part, that was childish, it was the "And I'm going to stop posting here" part.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Interesting. I found the sherdog forum very hard on the eyes, and this one is not bad at all for me.

It does look like the divider might have been changed to a thicker line (or it might just be the fact that I've changed computers) and in my opinion the division is quite sufficient.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Interesting. I found the sherdog forum very hard on the eyes, and this one is not bad at all for me.

It does look like the divider might have been changed to a thicker line (or it might just be the fact that I've changed computers) and in my opinion the division is quite sufficient.
Grey on black is unreadable but I think it was the divider that was the point. Maybe I'm wrong.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think contributors should be able to have animated avatars. It pains me to dump the one I have been known by for many many years.

Actually, it kind of was. It wasn't the "I didn't like it" part, that was childish, it was the "And I'm going to stop posting here" part.
I said "I don't think I'll be posting here very often anymore" and I stand by that statement if reading a forum seems like more work than it is enjoyable. I don't see how it is childish. Do you frequently visit sites that are confusing and difficult to read? Probably not. Childish would be me saying "this place sux!" or something along those lines.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I said "I don't think I'll be posting here very often anymore" and I stand by that statement if reading a forum seems like more work than it is enjoyable. I don't see how it is childish.
It's childish because the full post came across like, "Do what I want, or I'm going to take my ball and go home."

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
Apparently I will need to install some 3rd party image processing plugin to PHP in order for animated gif avatars to work. I'll add it to my list...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Apparently I will need to install some 3rd party image processing plugin to PHP in order for animated gif avatars to work. I'll add it to my list...
As far as I am concerned, you needn't add any third party image processing plug in. As my avatar was animated in the last forum, I didn't think it would be a hassle. I DO think it would be a nice perk for contributors. Anything to increase the percentage of active posters to pay for their enjoyment. I kinda like the way I have it now. It's an old picture.

Last edited:
I would just like to take a moment and say thank you for all your really hard work and time that you take to keep this place up and running.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
BTW, I think Jeremy is fiddling with a background to write on that solves a couple "problems." I stumbled onto it.
I would just like to take a moment and say thank you for all your really hard work and time that you take to keep this place up and running.
I hope I have said that over and over. If not, someone kick me. Thanks, Jeremy!! I hope you have patience because I don't and criticism, especially presented in a clumsy (read "rude") manner aggravates the dickens out of me.

BTW, I'm sending another contribution as I suspect I am waaaay behind. ;)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Aha, I see the light grey background.

That change might even have solved the "problem" of having a bigger separation between notes. That's cool. It's fine the way it is but as I am very compulsive about setting up things like this, widening the box line (clumsy English) by a pixels width might be a little better. Maybe just as a test. It's a whole lot easier than adding a 1/2" separator as another poster suggested - not meant to be a criticism to the other poster, BTW. This just might be the easiest and cleanest way of doing it. Does anyone understand #1) what I mean and #2) does anyone agree with me?

Jeremy. feel free to ignore me on the outline issue. ;)

The ultimate test might be to see if pushn80 can read it as I have compassion for him as I develop cataracts.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Just part of the never-ending Facebook-ification of the internet. Not a fan of the "point" system that it seems to be tied to, but if "liking" a post will cut down on the "THIS" and "+1" madness, I consider it to be the far lesser of two evils.

If you think this is bad, you should have been around for the "Rep" system.
^This.