New look feedback

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This layout has a huge bonus to me which while I haven't experienced it yet here, I assume will happen.

That would be in the alert section. In this layout on another forum on which I participate you're alerted every time someone quotes you. It greatly helps conversation. How often under the previous format would you have to go back and read multiple pages to see if someone quoted you? Happened all the time. Heck, it'd be tough to remember what conversations you're having in which threads. Under this format when you log in or even if logged in, you should get an alert saying so and so quoted one of your posts. Conversation should improve here. Of course, if you quote someone and they don't respond, you'll know they have been alerted to the fact you quoted them and they're choosing to ignore you for whatever the reason or simply don't feel like furthering the conversation.

Stop whining people. You'll get used to it. Thank you all involved with the change. A number of man hours are going into this.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
This layout has a huge bonus to me which while I haven't experienced it yet here, I assume will happen.

That would be in the alert section. In this layout on another forum on which I participate you're alerted every time someone quotes you. It greatly helps conversation. How often under the previous format would you have to go back and read multiple pages to see if someone quoted you? Happened all the time. Heck, it'd be tough to remember what conversations you're having in which threads. Under this format when you log in or even if logged in, you should get an alert saying so and so quoted one of your posts. Conversation should improve here. Of course, if you quote someone and they don't respond, you'll know they have been alerted to the fact you quoted them and they're choosing to ignore you for whatever the reason or simply don't feel like furthering the conversation.
This is only an improvement if you were ignoring all aspects of the discussion that didn't involve you directly. If you were reading every post, regardless, it's not an improvement so much as one more thing in your peripheral vision that's distracting you.

Stop whining people. You'll get used to it.
So you say. I say time will tell. The last major board upgrade happened six (seven?) years ago, and some of those changes I never got used to.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
This is only an improvement if you were ignoring all aspects of the discussion that didn't involve you directly. If you were reading every post, regardless, it's not an improvement so much as one more thing in your peripheral vision that's distracting you.
I read most posts but as an MOD I assume you're supposed to read all. Still, I'd argue there's nothing stopping you from continuing to read all posts yet the added benefit of knowing when someone quotes you can still improve conversation. Allows you to respond quicker. But this is more from the perspective of non-MOD's. Yes you'd eventually stumble upon those quoting you anyway but this is more efficient imo. Has nothing to do with ignoring all aspects of conversation. Not sure where that came from.

So you say. I say time will tell. The last major board upgrade happened six (seven?) years ago, and some of those changes I never got used to.
Not everyone will like this. But from my experience when a similar format change has been presented there is some kicking and screaming at first but most end up coming around. It's a generalization. Whether you personally come around to this new format remains to be seen.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I read most posts but as an MOD I assume you're supposed to read all. Still, I'd argue there's nothing stopping you from continuing to read all posts yet the added benefit of knowing when someone quotes you can still improve conversation. Allows you to respond quicker. But this is more from the perspective of non-MOD's.
Actually, no. Moderators are not required to read everything; there are some forums that I don't even go into, unless a post has been reported. That's exactly why we encourage all users to utilize the "Report Post" system. Because:
  1. We're not here all the time.
  2. We don't actually read every post.
  3. Contrary to popular opinion, we're not all in lockstep with each other, and don't necessarily always agree on the correct course of action to be taken. At least, not always at first.
But, when a post is reported, a moderator has to take some form of action or other. Whether the action taken is to the satisfaction of the person doing the reporting is another matter entirely, and direct feedback with either the reporter or the reportee is not necessarily part of the contract.

Not everyone will like this. But from my experience when a similar format change has been presented there is some kicking and screaming at first but most end up coming around. It's a generalization. Whether you personally come around to this new format remains to be seen.
"Come on in, the water's fine"?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I read most posts but as an MOD I assume you're supposed to read all. Still, I'd argue there's nothing stopping you from continuing to read all posts yet the added benefit of knowing when someone quotes you can still improve conversation. Allows you to respond quicker. But this is more from the perspective of non-MOD's. Yes you'd eventually stumble upon those quoting you anyway but this is more efficient imo. Has nothing to do with ignoring all aspects of conversation. Not sure where that came from.

I actually like the idea of knowing when I've been quoted. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Has nothing to do with ignoring all aspects of conversation. Not sure where that came from.
FYI, it came from The Cosby Show. The episode where Claire and one of her friends/colleagues were involved in a heated discussion, and Cliff was sitting meekly over in the corner, barely paying attention, and mumbling, "I just listen for my name..."

That's what goes through my head when I see someone make a comment about the convenience of not having to scroll through all the posts to see whether or not someone quoted them, because I'm sitting here thinking, "Why would you only go through the thread to see if someone quoted you?"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know I like knowing if someone quoted me so I can respond to them. I know I've missed questions directed to me via a quoted response, especially in high activity threads. This way, that won't happen. And if it does, it's probably intentional. :p

I like the new graphics, at least now it looks like we're in the XXI century :p

The only request/suggestion I have is the option to choose a darker color scheme. I'll be browsing this site a lot at 4-6AM in a dark room and all this white will murder my eyes.

About the likes: I predict a good dose of extra work for the mods.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Actually, no. Moderators are not required to read everything; there are some forums that I don't even go into, unless a post has been reported.
Did not realize that. I assumed different, obviously incorrectly. Not a big deal though. I like the convenience of knowing when I've been quoted. I think most will. Maybe you won't. Who knows.

I think you'll come to like the new format though. I'll ask you how you feel around the AS break.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I turned avatars and signatures off when I was still on active duty, and deployed aboard ship, because it made it easier to load the pages with all the bandwidth throttling. I then returned to shore, and never got around to turning them back on. I found I liked it better that way.

We have a "mirror" thread to this going on in the mod forum and, unfortunately for me, Admin says that AFAHK, the option's not available with this software.

Well, it is bright! Don't check in for a couple of days and look what happens. It will take some getting use to. Only thing I notice, is a lot more space seems to be taken up by each post. Maybe its just me. I'm sure I'll get used to it, eventually.

Checking to see if we have a better "wink" emoticon: ;)

My biggest personal concern was that I be able to change the font family, which I can, so I'm good.

Gadget's adaptable, but Gadget don't do serif.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
As far as I've been able to find, it's tied to the number of posts you have. I saw it last night somewhere but cannot remember where I saw it. :)
Well, CM's should have the ability to customize their title; that may be something that Revrag has to turn back on.

As far as I've been able to find, it's tied to the number of posts you have. I saw it last night somewhere but cannot remember where I saw it. :)
Naw, I just changed it in my personal profile under "customized title." Its right under where you set your avatar. :)

I have to be honest, the new layout looks cartoonish. It's too hard to read and differentiate between posts. Everything looks like a scrambled mess. Every other forum that I read looked just like the last one we had. I don't see the need for the change. I don't think I'll be posting here very often anymore.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I have had four web sites and three are active. The fourth some may know. The last thing a person wants after busting their arse is petulant complaints over the energy they have expended. I will not miss ESP47 for his/her childish complaint. A web site is judged based on its content and its ability to maneuver around easily. Perhaps there are ways that our fearless leader can adjust this site to suit the complaints. If not, have patience. There are still the same old posters that we have learned to love and hate. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree, Glenn. If ESP47 had made some specific suggestions it would have been much more helpful.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The funny thing about it is, even though I'm not fond of not being able to turn avatars off, the fact that they are permanently on makes it easier to distinguish between posts on the new software than they would be with avatars off. There are certain aspects that make the board more challenging to navigate, at least between threads, but it certainly isn't any harder to read.

I think it is a bit more difficult to read, personally, and wish there was more distinct separation between posts. But it's hardly anything worthy of a tantrum.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I think it is a bit more difficult to read, personally, and wish there was more distinct separation between posts. But it's hardly anything worthy of a tantrum.
Agreed. Maybe if the horizontal line between posts was thicker or something? A small band of color?

Like you said, no biggie though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
To be fair, I wasn't exactly saying that it was easy to read, just easier than it would be if avatars were turned off, as I prefer.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I can read it just fine but wish it appeared there was a bigger separation between posts which I think is what you mean. My avatar, besides missing its customary eyes, seems to be less detailed explained best by the fact the space for it may be bigger and I created it for a smaller space. I can fix that after getting a definitive answer as to animation. It would be great if animation was brought back but I don't know how much memory that takes up. That's up to Jeremy totally and not a big deal.

I was hoping for options as to colors but that is probably on the admin side. To be picky but maybe solve some people's problems, if the background behind the avatars was slightly darker it might solve a few problems. I don't know if the division line between notes can be widened but that would be nice.

Sounds like a few people would want the background on which they write the slightest of grey. I mean the very slightest. If it was done in coordination with a darkening of the color behind the avatar I think it would solve a lot of people's problems.

BTW, I have a web site with black background and white printing so there are many ways to go. It depends on the options Jeremy has. I'm not sure if people like what I did. :(

I REALLY want my eyes functioning. :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Maybe this has been mentioned but alerts show up in the upper right of the page. You have to set your preferences as to what you want to be alerted about and whether you want an email about it also.

Personally not into the 'liking' of posts. Often becomes a popularity contest, and subconsciously has folks to some degree seeking other's approval posting their thoughts (not me).