New Kings TV Deal is here!!!

http://http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/10678116p-11596678c.html
================================
Wow! thats more then I thought. Im impressed. This is GREAT!! The Maloofs deserve a standing O for this!!!

:give a standing O:

John Thomas will be on with the Rise Guys this morning in the 7am hour. He might be bringing somebody from Comcast with him in studio.
--------------
[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Deal puts every Kings game on TV

The agreement is part of Comcast Cable's new sports network.

By J. Freedom du Lac and Clint Swett -- Bee Staff Writers
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, September 9, 2004

For the first time in franchise history, every Kings preseason and regular-season game will be televised to Sacramento-area viewers under a new deal reached between the Kings and Comcast Cable.

The agreement calls for Comcast to launch a 24-hour regional sports network that features the Kings as the centerpiece, augmented by the Monarchs and other as-yet-determined programming.

Financial terms were not disclosed Wednesday, but it's a 10-year deal - a detail that may put increasingly anxious Kings fans at ease over the team's future in Sacramento, where talks on a new arena have crumbled.

It's unclear whether the contract includes an escape clause that would allow the Kings to back out of its commitment to Comcast.

The programming will be part of Comcast's expanded basic cable package, meaning there will be no extra cost to watch the games.

The all-sports network - whose formation represents a major offensive by Comcast in the pitched battle for cable and satellite customers - does not yet have a channel position, a start date or even a name.

But it does have plans to broadcast 58 NBA games during the Kings' 2004-05 season, several in high-definition.

The balance of the schedule - 32 games in all - will be carried by a combination of national cable networks (ESPN, TNT) and the Kings' local over-the-air affiliate, Channel 10 (KXTV).

"That's incredible," said Mark Thorpe, a Yolo County high school teacher and longtime Kings fan. "That's great for the Sacramento sports fan. It's about time."

Last season, with the Kings' deal with Fox Sports Net having expired, fans fretted over the team's spartan TV schedule, which featured 51 of 82 regular-season games.

Now, they'll be able to see the team 90 times on TV from October through April.

And you'll have to forgive previously beleaguered Maloof Sports & Entertainment executives for suddenly strutting around wearing mission-accomplished grins - even if the Comcast deal does end the Maloof Sports plan to launch a regional network of its own.

"The goal has always been to get the most possible games to the most possible fans," said John Thomas, president of Maloof Sports, which owns the Kings and Monarchs. "To say that we're really thrilled would be an understatement."

Thomas joked that the expansive TV offering would "bring the team into the 1990s."

The new network will be available to more than 770,000 Comcast subscribers from Chico to Fresno, further cementing the Kings brand throughout the Central Valley. The Kings already have radio deals in the Valley.

The channel could also give Comcast a competitive advantage in the high-stakes, high-intensity fight for customers with the likes of DirecTV, DISH Network and SureWest Broadband.

"We think it puts Comcast in position to be the provider of choice," said Joseph Gamble, the regional vice president for Comcast who brokered the deal.

Gamble said the new network will be available to competing companies, though he declined to say how much Comcast would charge for the programming.

No matter the price, cable analyst Jimmy Schaeffler speculated that Comcast's competitors would likely be inclined to buy the new sports package to keep core customers happy. But, he added, those companies might charge extra.

"Sports fans typically have a higher income demographic and are very important to all multichannel providers," said Schaeffler, an analyst with The Carmel Group. "They are one of the most passionate niche fans, and passionate people pay for things, whether it's adult programming or sports programming."

That was echoed by Comcast competitors in the area.

Frontier Communications, which expects to start cable TV service in Elk Grove next year, would be interested in buying the new sports network, said spokesman Rob Warden. "The customer base would be very interested, and we wouldn't want to ignore them," he said.

Likewise, Fred Arcuri, chief operating officer of SureWest - which competes with Comcast in Roseville, as well as in Elk Grove and parts of Sacramento - said the company also would be open to negotiation.

As would DirecTV.

"It's no secret how popular the Kings are," said Bob Marsocci, a spokesman for the satellite provider. "We would do everything we could to see that we would get an agreement that's fair and equitable."

Chris Woods, a Sacramento legislative consultant and DirecTV subscriber, said he's confident the satellite company will reach a deal to carry the new Comcast channel.

"I can't imagine the Maloofs shutting out a portion of their audience," he said.

If no deal occurred, though, Woods said he wouldn't switch to his old cable carrier. "We're happy with DirecTV - and to be honest, I don't know if (new Kings center) Greg Ostertag is enough reason to go back to Comcast."

The agreement was finalized Sunday night after a 73-day negotiation period and is scheduled to be announced officially today.

Comcast will pay the Kings a rights fee for the games, but Maloof Sports will control in-game advertising inventory and income.

Comcast will get the advertising revenue during half-hour pregame and postgame shows airing on the network.

What else airs on the Comcast sports channel literally remains to be seen.

Comcast has launched similar networks in other markets - including Chicago, Washington, D.C.-Baltimore and Philadelphia, where the cable company is based.

But in those cities, there are multiple pro franchises and major college programs.

Comcast's Gamble said the company would explore the possibility of programming minor league, high school and collegiate sports, including teams from California State University, Sacramento; the University of California, Davis; California State University, Fresno; and the University of Nevada, Reno. Some national Comcast programming might also be available.

"I don't expect you'll see 24-hour fishing shows," Gamble said, scoffing at the notion that there isn't enough programming to sustain a regional sports network in Central California.

The Carmel Group's Schaeffler questioned whether the channel could prosper with just one major-league team. But he added that Comcast's participation puts the odds at about 50-50.

"Comcast does their homework and they have people who execute really well," he said.

Kings cable deal

* The 10-year pact calls for 58 preseason and regular-season games to be carried this season on a newly formed Comcast regional sports network.

* Thirty-two other games will be shown on TNT, ESPN and Channel 10.

* The new regional network will be carried on Comcast Cable systems from Chico to Fresno. It will be offered for sale to other carriers, including SureWest Broadband, Charter Communications and DirecTV.

* The regional network also will carry Sacramento Monarchs games. Comcast will explore carrying River Cats baseball games as well as Sacramento State; UC Davis; University of Nevada, Reno; and Fresno State athletics.

About the Writer
---------------------------

The Bee's J. Freedom du Lac can be reached at (916) 321-1115 or jdulac@sacbee.com. [/font][/font]

Last edited:
that's incredible! Much better than I anticipated. I don't know how it will effect me -- I'm in Rocklin, we have Starstream Cable & Comcast is not available. Hopefully Starstream picks up the package somehow. Cudos to the Maloofs and Comcast for making this work -- I wonder how many teams have even their preseason games broadcasted?

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Hooray for Kings Fans

Hooray you guys and gals, its finally here (there :eek: ). Now you'll see the enjoyment us out-ot-area fans have enjoyed for years on NBA channel on Direct TV. Congrats. :D

:D :D :D

::does a little happy dance::

Woo hoo! Now I don't have to buy LP!

Edit: Wait, what channel?

The programming will be part of Comcast's expanded basic cable package, meaning there will be no extra cost to watch the games.
I have only the basic cable package.

Last edited:
love_them_kings said:
that's incredible! Much better than I anticipated. I don't know how it will effect me -- I'm in Rocklin, we have Starstream Cable & Comcast is not available. Hopefully Starstream picks up the package somehow. Cudos to the Maloofs and Comcast for making this work -- I wonder how many teams have even their preseason games broadcasted?
Same here. My guess is that Starstream will get something done because they are really the only show in town and are not really a competitor with Comcast. Probably have to get the digital package in order to make it happen though.

they had a comcast guy & a maloof's sports entertainment executive on the rise guys this morning ... what i caught that was most interesting was that ALL home games will be broadcast in HD! sweeeet! now on to good guys to buy that 62" JVC DLP tv .... just had to have a reason!

wow! that's great for you guys in sac!

eventhough i'm from NJ, I'm very glad that you guys got this deal!

hooray for the maloofs! :D

ok i have comcast and live in between fresno and chico, i really hope that means i get this channel too, first they take away the sac channel here and now i bet with my luck i won't get this channel......

DocHolliday said:
Yeah Direct TV users that NBA league package you pay 140 something dollars for is given to you for free with Dish Networks. Just fyi.
uh, no its not ... i use dishnetwork and had NBA LP last year, and i can tell you it was NOT free.

and from www.dishnetwork.com:

DISH Network Season Ticket brings you the convenience of automatic renewal. Order the 2004-2005 NBA LEAGUE PASS package and you will be automatically renewed each season at a special renewal rate.

the rate last year was something like $139 ... for a full season.

I hope they make HD games available to other Comcast/Cable markets. Right now there is a channel called INHD that shows up to 3 MLB games a week in HD (that are usually only available in local markets). Hopefully they will do the same with NBA HD games this year. If not, I'll have to settle for whatever HD games ESPNHD does.

Absolutely great news. Although I'm a DirecTV subscriber, I think we'll be offered a reasonable deal for the Comcast Kings network. Anyway, cheers to the Maloofs and co for getting this going and delivering on exactly what they said they would do. Just great news all around, and something I think all of us are going to be really happy to see.

Cheers all around.

News

Hot off the presses...
SACRAMENTO KINGS AND MONARCHS GAMES TO ANCHOR NEW

COMCAST REGIONAL SPORTS CHANNEL

Comcast and Sacramento Kings Reach Agreement To Offer
Every Kings Game To Fans Throughout Region

SACRAMENTO September 9, 2004 – Comcast today announced the formation of a new 24-hour a day, seven day a week Central California regional sports network and announced a new agreement that will bring television coverage of every Kings games to fans throughout Central California.

Under the 10-year agreement, Comcast will televise 58 pre-season and regular season Kings games on the new Comcast regional sports network, including 54 that were not anywhere on television last season. The new network will be launched to approximately 700,000 Comcast customers in Sacramento, Chico, Stockton, Modesto and Fresno before the first regular season Kings game on November 2, 2004, and Comcast will also provide coverage of Kings pre-seasons games beginning with the first match on October 10, 2004. Channel placement and other details will be announced before then.

Today’s announcement, in combination with the NBA’s pre-existing distribution agreements with ESPN, TNT and ABC, ensures that Comcast’s Central California customers will be able to see a full season of Kings basketball for the first time ever. The new network will also carry select games of the Sacramento Monarchs WNBA team, pre-game warm-up shows and post-game wrap-up shows, and other sports-related content.

“We are thrilled to bring to market additional Sacramento Kings games that were not available anywhere on television last year,” said Comcast Regional Vice President Joseph A. Gamble. “Comcast is committed to combining compelling local programming with advanced technology to give sports fans what they want, when they want it. Our customers will receive an entire season of Kings action at no additional cost, reflecting our desire to constantly increase the value of our services.”

“We are really excited for Kings and Monarchs fans,” said Joe Maloof, owner of the Kings and Monarchs. “This new agreement with Comcast will bring television coverage of every Kings game into the homes of fans for the first time in the history of the franchise. Comcast is a valuable partner in helping us connect with Kings fans throughout this region.”

The new network will be carried on Comcast’s expanded basic line-up, the company’s most popular service. Coverage of Kings’ home games will be offered on Comcast High Definition TV throughout Central California. ON DEMAND, the company’s video-on-demand (VOD) service, will be made available to Comcast subscribers in early 2005, all of this additional programming at no additional charge.

Comcast is the largest cable provider in Central California. The new network will be offered to other area providers.

“We also wanted fans to enjoy exciting new services and new technology, such as home games in high definition, video on demand, and encore presentations of every game,” said Gavin Maloof, co-owner of the Kings and Monarchs. “Only Comcast can provide those benefits to such a large number of fans.”

Comcast has invested more than $85 million in the central California region during the last year and a half to provide advanced services like localized HDTV, ON DEMAND and high-speed Internet, all with a single connection. Financial terms of today’s announcement were not disclosed.

About Comcast

Headquartered in Philadelphia, Comcast Cable is a division of Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) , a developer, manager and operator of broadband cable networks and provider of programming content. With a presence in 22 of the top 25 United States markets, Comcast is one of the leading communications, media and entertainment companies in the world. Providing basic cable, Digital Cable, high-speed Internet and telephone services, Comcast is the company to look to first for the communications products and services that connect people to what’s important in their lives. The company’s 59,000 employees serve more than 21 million customers. For more information about Comcast, visit www.comcast.com

About Maloof Sports & Entertainment

Maloof Sports & Entertainment is committed to building alliances with organizations that help provide the best overall experience to Kings fans and is dedicated to making a positive and meaningful difference in the lives of people in-need and at-risk in the Sacramento area. The organization owns the Sacramento Kings (NBA), Monarchs (WNBA), and ARCO Arena. Headed by Joe and Gavin Maloof, the organization is committed to the fans and community of Sacramento. For more information about Maloof Sports & Entertainment and the Sacramento Kings and Monarchs, visit www.kings.com or www.sacramentomonarchs.com.

###

That is great news for Sacramento area Kings fans! I can't ever remember a time in which all games would be broadcasted locally (even when I lived in the Sac area!). Unfortunately, I live up north (Humboldt County) but the Sacramento region was considered to be local region for sports in my area. I used to pick up the Regional Sports Network which was the Fox Sports Net broadcast on my DirecTV dish. I wonder if the same scenario will work with DirecTV and the new Comcast network. Last year I subscribed to NBA League Pass - which I really liked, I just did not care for select announcers of the other team's broadcasts (they aren't Grant and Jerry!).

I actually have a question for Dish Subscribers: Have you been happy with Dish Network's service? I'm considering switching to Dish so that I could get TNT-HD to watch the games in High-Def. DirecTV only offers ESPN-HD, and the only reason I'd consider switching is to get ESPN-HD and TNT-HD. Other than the lack of HD channels on DirecTV, I've been happy with them.

Even for fans outside of the area, this greatly increases your chances of getting the Sacramento feed on League Pass.

Comcast deal

Boy, am I relieved now that I didn't buy the DirecTV State Fair special. My wife wanted more movie channels. She may be the only person who doesn't like this deal because I watch entirely too much basketball already.

Damn! Every home game in HDTV? I really don't want to go back to Comcast (love my Dish PVR) but...

I would guess that even if Dish carries the games they wont be in HDTV. Damn!

So glad to know that what we've been hearing on these boards for a few weeks has finally been confirmed. Televised pre-season is so great...I rarely get a chance to check out some of the prospects, and this year we can finally get a consistent chance of doing so.

Anyway, does anyone have an idea of what the new network's name should be? I think it should be something with a catchy acronym...something that rolls of the tongue like ESPN or TNT. I'd like to avoid an acronym that actually spells a word. For example, Sacramento International Television (SIT) or Sacramento Entertainment Television (SET). I can imagine people talking about the channel and yakking on and on about "sit" all day-- a very lame idea in my opinion.

Tell me what you think about Sacramento Regional Sports, or SRS. I think it's something that could catch on, and it wouldn't be too embarassing to talk about public.

Great deal! I do hope dish picks it up though.

and I have to say this part of the report bothered me..."Sports fans typically have a higher income demographic".

NBAGURU said:
Yes!! Thank you Maloofs!!! Next up: New Arena & Championship
Can we switch the order on that? Next up, Championship and a new Arena. (only because if they started construction on a new Arena right away, it would still be years down the road, I'm tired of waiting, let's win the Championship this year;)

hi,
I am located in Fresno and have the basic comcast service. Don't know for sure how many games that means and could anyone tell me the best way to get all or most of the games. any suggestion will be apprciated. this are still a little bit unclear for me.:)
thanks