Nerlens Noel

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
hmm...I'd love to bring on Noel, more defense and size is never a bad thing. Question is how much do they give up for that? I don't want to lose a draft pick in the process, if possible. If Vlade can come out of this draft with one draft pick and one young stud, I'd consider it a successful start to the off season.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
We probably have to wait and see what Boston and Minnesota want to do since obviously the Sixers would be happier with those picks. But for us, we're looking at these possible scenarios:

Kris Dunn or Nerlens Noel?
Buddy Hield or Nerlens Noel?
Jamal Murray or Nerlens Noel?
Jaylen Brown or Nerlens Noel?
Marquese Chriss or Nerlens Noel?
Dragan Bender or Nerlens Noel?

Your results may vary, but the only one I hesitate about is Kris Dunn. And the opportunity of making up that lost value with two late first round picks swings me toward taking Noel there too. If you pencil in an all-Wildcat rotation of Cousins, Cauley-Stein, and Noel we're well on our way toward becoming a decent defensive team without making any other changes. In fact, I think you could play two terrible guards and a mediocre SF next to them and still be top 20 in defense. It's almost too good to be true! We'll see...

Not sure why we would want Noel with WCS on the roster. Seems a bit duplicative and doesn't balance the roster.. I think that is excellent value for the 8th pick, though.

If the Kings were to get Noel, it would be straight up for the #8. No way the Sixers include the #24 and #26 picks.

Noel would be a bit redundant with WCS, but the Kings could then trade KK for some guard help.

I would do it, as long as Dunn is off the board.

Noel or WCS upside is purdy close. I don't see this helping or hurting much.

I want someone better than Rudy, Ben or Rondo! Just one frigging player better than them.

hrdboild

Staff member
Nah, Noel is too close to Willie, and is a worse player offensively to the point.

They are similar players, but Nerlens Noel is better by most measures in the NBA so far. He's also younger than Cauley-Stein (barely). I don't see why this is a problem though.

Are we really in a position to be questioning if we can have too many defensively talented bigs right now? What would Popovich do?

Noel is a center due to lack of shooting and handles. He would push Boogie out of paint on offense. He operates from the same zones as Willie, so putting them together would create awkward situations.

They are similar players, but Nerlens Noel is better by most measures in the NBA so far. He's also younger than Cauley-Stein (barely). I don't see why this is a problem though.

Are we really in a position to be questioning if we can have too many defensively talented bigs right now? What would Popovich do?
If this deal is on the table, I would do it in a heartbeat. Yes, Noel is a bit redundant with WCS, but would give us a great defensive 3 man rotation. I would then call Houston and offer the 24th pick for Beverly (throw in BMac if we have to), and then hope DeAndre Bembry or Korkmas falls to the 26th pick.

hrdboild

Staff member
Noel is a center due to lack of shooting and handles. He would push Boogie out of paint on offense. He operates from the same zones as Willie, so putting them together would create awkward situations.
Cousins has range out to the three-point line though. Whether you call him a C or not, he plays more like a PF on offense. Do you like Cousins playing alongside Cauley-Stein? We're not going to have Cauley-Stein play 48 minutes per game. If we have Noel too that means we have Noel come in when Cauley-Stein comes out and we don't lose anything on defense. The only possible problem would be having Noel and Cauley-Stein on the floor together for 10-15 minutes per game. We'd have problems with spacing on offense in that situation, but you're talking about your bench unit here. If they can prevent the other team from scoring until Cousins is ready to come back in than they've done their job.

I just think you guys are over thinking this. Too much defense should not be in our vocabulary. Nerlens Noel averaged 2 steals and 2 blocks per game as a rookie! That's incredible. Is it really that long ago when Popovich would start Tim Duncan and a shot-blocker in his frontcourt and win championships? When the Lakers thought it essential to put 2 7 footers on the court together to dominate the paint enroute to their second run at a three-peat? Does every team in the league need to play perimeter weenie ball now? We'd have an uncommon advantage in one aspect of the game. That could be the start of an actual team identity.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Not sure why we would want Noel with WCS on the roster. Seems a bit duplicative and doesn't balance the roster.. I think that is excellent value for the 8th pick, though.
I think when it comes to protecting that rim there is no such thing as too much. Until you've got 48 minutes of rim protection you don't have enough.

I've wanted Noel since that draft. Was pissed off beyond belief when New Orleans really ****ed us over in that draft, stole Noel, stuck us with Ben, thus setting up our newbie front office to dump Tyreke to them as well. It was a terrible week for us.

Now the biggest question is this past year Noel did not look comfortable at PF, and obviously he'd be doing a lot of that here.

Also, keep in mind the Ibaka factor. If Ibaka is out there, and if OKC is looking to control costs, and if they are too close to the title to go for a rook...3-way deal? Our pick to Philly, Noel to OKC, Ibaka to us? Noel has the Kentucky however.

Cousins has range out to the three-point line though. Whether you call him a C or not, he plays more like a PF on offense. Do you like Cousins playing alongside Cauley-Stein? We're not going to have Cauley-Stein play 48 minutes per game. If we have Noel too that means we have Noel come in when Cauley-Stein comes out and we don't lose anything on defense. The only possible problem would be having Noel and Cauley-Stein on the floor together for 10-15 minutes per game. We'd have problems with spacing on offense in that situation, but you're talking about your bench unit here. If they can prevent the other team from scoring until Cousins is ready to come back in than they've done their job.

I just think you guys are over thinking this. Too much defense should not be in our vocabulary. Nerlens Noel averaged 2 steals and 2 blocks per game as a rookie! That's incredible. Is it really that long ago when Popovich would start Tim Duncan and a shot-blocker in his frontcourt and win championships? When the Lakers thought it essential to put 2 7 footers on the court together to dominate the paint enroute to their second run at a three-peat? Does every team in the league need to play perimeter weenie ball now? We'd have an uncommon advantage in one aspect of the game. That could be the start of an actual team identity.
Willie is able to catch the ball, make one dribble and finish, and Noel is too awkward on the move. Cousins can camp at the arc, doesn't mean, that he should. His best place offensively is attacking from high post off the dribble, and Noel would allow much more freedom for his defender to clog the middle than Willie.
If you give me the choice between Ryno and Noel as a third big though, yes, I would vote Noel.

hrdboild

Staff member
I highly doubt Philly is going to start next season with Okafor, Noel, Simmons, and Embiid all on the roster. There may still be an opportunity to trade for Noel in the off-season. We added 5 players in the draft today -- some of them could be available in trade though I think with the change in the front office in Philly they're not looking for long-term projects anymore. They might want McLemore or Collison as they try to upgrade their backcourt. I don't really see it happening -- and probably with Cauley-Stein, Labissiere, Pappagiannis, and Gudaitis in addition to Cuz and Koufos -- Vlade thinks he's more than set with big guys already.

Given the fact, that Vlade expects 10 mpg from Papagiannis next season, Koufos is most likely gone. We just don't know where as it will likely be determined after the first round of big man shuffle. When Hassan, Dwight and a few others find their new/old home, someone will come for double-K bearing gifts or turds.

hrdboild

Staff member
Given the fact, that Vlade expects 10 mpg from Papagiannis next season, Koufos is most likely gone. We just don't know where as it will likely be determined after the first round of big man shuffle. When Hassan, Dwight and a few others find their new/old home, someone will come for double-K bearing gifts or turds.
We should be able to leverage Koufos into something valuable. His contract is going to look like a steal as soon as free agents start signing contracts. We already know the champs are interested. The Warriors could be too with Speights and Ezeli both hitting free agency.

The only team that I know of that was serious about KK was Cleveland.

Any other teams you know about that were thinking about him?

I think KK would be a good fit in GS. GS got PUNKED by cleveland and OKC BAD. They need bigger bodies to contend on the glass. They're probably not going to sign Durant so they will have 15 mil worth of cap space. I don't know what I would want in return, maybe a 2019 1st round draft choice? I know that KK would probably turn it around in GS and be a force again down low.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think KK would be a good fit in GS. GS got PUNKED by cleveland and OKC BAD. They need bigger bodies to contend on the glass. They're probably not going to sign Durant so they will have 15 mil worth of cap space. I don't know what I would want in return, maybe a 2019 1st round draft choice? I know that KK would probably turn it around in GS and be a force again down low.
Warriors need height. We need guards. Seems like something could be worked out.