NBA Rumors- Kings likely to pursue Goran Dragic

Well they can chase, but he would have to want to come here, I don't mind them getting someone else to pay more.

Given a choice though I'd rather have him than Lawson.

Rather keep the cheap Collison over those guys though personally.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, saw that last night, then noticed the phrase "are expected to" and the cites to such fountains of NBA insider knowledge as @KidSwoozkie_15 & Hot Hot Hoops and decided this was likely no ore than speculation or agent puffery.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, saw that last night, then noticed the phrase "are expected to" and the cites to such fountains of NBA insider knowledge as @KidSwoozkie_15 & Hot Hot Hoops and decided this was likely no ore than speculation or agent puffery.

I really hope you're right. This would cause some concern in my mind that Pete still has more than just a say in what's going on. Dragic is a nice player, but the Kings have a good PG who will defend and at a third the cost. The Kings would have to dump significant salary to even be in the discussion of signing Dragic anyway.

Well now that Vlade is on board, he may be looking for players like Goran. Intl player that can create for others and himself and can shoot well. Seems like a perfect fit for a George Karl offense.
I also like Collison but what if Goran starting and Collison back up. Plus they can play together in the back court at times.

Well, looks like Goran's agent haven't noticed, that there was a change in FO, and Kings no longer go after everybody remotely available.

Dragic would be an upgrade over Collison, and he'd help form a very good trio (Dragic, Gay, Cousins). That could be the catalyst to take this team back to the play offs, especially taking into account Ben McLemoe improving, and the possibility of drafting a player that could step in at PF (eg WCS), that would create a solid line up.

The main problem with this is that Dragic will likely command a bigger deal than we can afford to pay unless we dump some salary, and even if we clear space, our rotation will take a hit because we won't have much to offer to form a strong bench. So while the trio would be fun to watch, I think we should possibly look at trying to acquire this type of difference maker at PF and ride with a solid, if unspectacular, PG in Collison.

And to be honest, I think staying with Miami is the most likely scenario. He'll get a big pay day there, and in the eastern conference he'll have an easier ride as long as Wade and Bosh stay healthy. Plus they've got Whiteside at center and Deng at SF to round off a decent line up.

Unless Vlade has a personal connection with Goran and his family, there is no way he passes up a bigger payday in Miami to come to Sacto.

Dream on people.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Dragic would be a mistake. He's had success on one team in one system and has been mediocre everywhere else. His three point shooting is all over the map. He might be better than Collison next year, he might not be. I want to see a much longer track record of success before I make him my only free agent acquisition in a year I want to make the playoffs.

Bricklayer

I'd offer Dragon the max but I don't think he takes it. Miami has a very good chance in resigning him.

What about Brandon Knight?
If Knight were available he'd be a strong addition to the backcourt who can actually play any of three different roles: 1, 2 (part time) or 1/2 off the bench. But is he truly available?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If Knight were available he'd be a strong addition to the backcourt who can actually play any of three different roles: 1, 2 (part time) or 1/2 off the bench. But is he truly available?
He's an RFA, so I guess it's a matter of how much Phoenix wants to pay to keep a PG after trading away, what, three? this year at the deadline.

Getting Knight seems much more realistic than Dragic. If we offer enough and the Suns decide they don't want to pay the amount, a S&T seems very likely.

The only thing is that the Suns gave up a load for him. It was something like the Laker's pick this year.. which was top 5 protected, and I think top 3? protected next year. They also gave up Tyler Ennis (rookie 1st round pick) and Miles Plumlee.

There's a lot of skeptical fans out there who are unsure if the backcourt of Bledsoe-Knight will work. In a small sample size, the defense was a problem for them and Knight struggled a lot. Suns fans seem to want Knight to embrace his role as a SG. Knight sees himself at PG and I think that's where his strength is. There were a few rumors about Knight not being the playmaker the Bucks wanted for Giannis' development.

The Suns probably should've kept IT... trading for Knight looks like a desperate move. The Suns probably would've been better off with looking for a SG in FA and adding an offensive wing through the draft.

So yes.. I think he may be truly available depending on what the Kings want to offer.

Bricklayer

Yes, given the Suns panic trades and meltdown last year, it seems hard to believe it would continue into the summer. The IT signing really had dire consequences as it turns out.

The thing is, Knight only played 11 games for them. And he sucked in those 11 games. So I have no idea what they are going to base a decision on.

Thing #2 is that Knight really is in no particular way an upgrade over Collison. Trading one for the other gets us nowhere, except paying more for the same caliber player again in all liklihood. Neither is a strong creater either, not strong enough to be your #1 or only guy. So the only way you can make it work to our advantage is to keep both guys, have 1 start, 1 come off the bench, them spend some minutes together every game, and try to add to the woeful team passing by adding a second major minute weak creating PG to the backcourt. 1 guy averaging 5-6 assists isn't enough. 2 will get it done. And Knight shoots threes two, so it would be a 2 bird with one stone thing, if you think you can survive your minutes with a skinny 6'3" "SG". Karl has done a lot of that oer the years though. Randy Foye, Miller etc. starting next to other PGs. He likes extra passers, which isn't a great sign for Ben.

This would not surprise me but I doubt much has changed since the trade deadline when he basically said that he has not interest playing for us and ended up in Miami.

He would be a great addition for us, especially if we also keep Collison as a 6th man. They could play together for stretches. It improves the ball handling and passing and shooting. I am not sure we will have the cap money to do it but Goran might be more open to listening to us this time around only because of Vlade and maybe Karl.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What? You mean those guys aren't credible? Damm, bambozzled again! :eek: