[NBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (DEC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm not shocked even a little about Grant. The guy is such a tool and the sooner he rolls out (or gets chased out) of Sacramento the better.

And check out @KenyonMartinSr on Twitter for his comments on Coach Karl. A glowing endorsement (not rly)

Last edited:
On George Karl's book,

-The NBA is what it is. 'It' being much more than George Karl's one dimensional portrait.
-It is not difficult to identify flaws in the people that you work with. It would be much more interesting to connect with the humans around you in a meaningful way.
-Would he have preferred those fatherless boys to have no money or opportunity? He benefited from the same system they did without changing who he was.
-It sounds as if he may have enjoyed coaching in some mid-level overachieving college program more. He wouldn't of had a shot at an NBA championship, but that doesn't seem like it was the point was it?

More appropriate titles may include:

-The NBA and my inability to adapt.
-Am I on the spectrum? 40 years in basketball says yes, somewhat.
-Karl. A fight against joy and compassion.

Or the book he should have composed:

-Letting go of control. Nude portraits of a washed up basketball coach.

All this talk about George Karl reminds me of my favorite game out of 4 years watching Pete Carril's teams at Princeton. On December 6, 1971 North Carolina came to town, ranked #2. Their future superstar new guy was Bob McAdoo, who was fresh out Vincennes Junior College, where he was coached by Jerry Reynolds. Being North Carolina, they also had a guard who was supposed to be a big deal.

I had 2 classmates who played in the NBA, which is pretty rare for an Ivy League school, and they were the starting guards. Admittedly, Ted Manakas only appeared in 2 games, but Brian Taylor had a dozen year career split between ABA and NBA, won an ABA championship with Dr. J, and I believe he led the NBA in 3 pointers at least once. Taylor was amazing that night, scoring 37 as we beat UNC by 16. And the big deal guard he abused that night -- George Karl.

See, it's all connected if you follow the threads far enough. :)

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Welp, Nowitzski is back and the Mavericks are looking like a decent team again. They might be surging up to the 8th/7th seed at this rate

So Grant and Doug started the show with the George Karl stuff in an extended intro.

Grant revealed stuff about Karl which clearly indicts GRANT in being complicit with Kings' cover-up and deliberate withholding of information while at the same time attacking Demarcus for bad behavior, which Grant's comments today completely absolved.

Grant was explicitly clear that while Karl was here, he wasn't interested in coaching, in any way.
He would sit down on a chair during practice, and never coach.
The only time he coached was when NBATV rolled in, and then he got up and made it look like he was coaching.

Now, many of us I'm sure remember Grant attacking Demarcus and labelling him all kinds of bad leader, etc when Demarcus went off on George Karl last year.
But Grant's own words label Grant a two-faced hypocrite, who took the opportunity to attack Demarcus, when in fact if he was looking out for the team and the truth, he would have quietly defended Demarcus for calling out Karl, saying something like "Listen, folks, there are things behind the scenes that give support to Demarcus trying to stand up for the team against the coach this time."

Instead, he lambasted Cuz for not having the right respect to the coach, etc etc etc.

Well guess what Grant just said about Karl?
He explicitly called out Karl's lack of respect - to everyone - completely unwarranted, unsupported lack of respect that Karl treated everyone (presumably the players) with.

Grant Napear is so stupid, he doesn't even realize how his words attacking Karl today completely prove his own attacks against Demarcus last year (for calling out Karl) completely unwarranted.

Take everything Grant says with a grain of salt. He has a obvious conflict of interest with his show and him being a Kings employee at the same time. He will only say stuff after the fact, like when a player or a coach is gone.

Good thing we didn't pick up Dion Waiters. Averaging 14 points on 38% shooting from the field. Doesn't get to the line much either. I just don't understand how teams still consider him a starter in this league. So glad that deal never happened.

On the other side of things, friggin Belinelli is shooting 45% from the field and from 3 while averaging 11 points. Would have been nice to have that last year. Although I don't place the blame all on Belinelli. He did put in the effort until the collective group gave up but Karl used him running off of screens the way Redick is used and it just wasn't something he was good at.

Seth Curry looks to be heating up too. I'll always root for the dude except for when we play them.

Bravo to Bucks Organization:
"
In a package that will go on sale Tuesday through Jan. 11, the Bucks will sell fans a ticket pass for $149 that will begin on Jan. 13 against the Miami Heat and will be active until the Bucks win 10 home games. The location of the seats will vary from game to game, depending on what’s available. Fans will get their ticket on the day of the game through the team’s app
"

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/12/27...ckages/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

Aside from the seat location variance (which may bug-zap it), this is a great precedent. You have 10 win "credits" for 10+ games; losses don't count as credits. Way to recognize value. Maybe in the future it'll expand to be a normal option for all sports.....wondering if a ticket buyer can carry-over the credits though to next season - that would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.