[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (TDOS)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16644312/nba-quiz-where-going-nba-free-agency

So, I've taken this test multiple times, answered using multiple positions, and varying my answers somewhat. Virtually every time I do it, it comes up Utah. And, when it doesn't come up Utah, it comes up either Portland or Milwaukee. Which leads me to wonder what combination of answers would it take to get Sacramento to come up?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16644312/nba-quiz-where-going-nba-free-agency

So, I've taken this test multiple times, answered using multiple positions, and varying my answers somewhat. Virtually every time I do it, it comes up Utah. And, when it doesn't come up Utah, it comes up either Portland or Milwaukee. Which leads me to wonder what combination of answers would it take to get Sacramento to come up?
Apparently "Are You Dion Waiters?" is not a question on the list. So I think maybe the ESPN web developers forgot that question and left the quiz no route to get to Sacramento.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Watching this summer league game between Charlotte and OKC, and getting my lawls to this exchange with Anthony Slater of The Oklahoman:

Vince Carter: "So, who do you think will start at small forward for Oklahoma City?"

Slater: "Uh... What are you doing this fall?"

In a somewhat ironice twist, the Grizzlies hired Keith Smart today as an assistant coach per Hoopshype.

If only they knew...
I've seen nothing to indicate that he's an incompetent assistant coach. clearly overmatched as a headcoach, but as long as he's not the one to instil his "there are no stars" philosophy or is the one deciding on rotations, any given NBA team should be fine with him on the bench.

Watching Sixers vs Celtics right now:
Simmons will be an amazing player. Went 6/6 from FT line; 1/2 on pull-ups from mid-range, and the miss was a very tough end of the clock shot; works off the ball as he almost got an off.rebound from FT, sets screens for teammates, and that passing...
Mcconnell and Holmes look like future solid NBA role-players, just making the right plays and competing on defense. TJ makes one mistake and immediately corrects that on the same possession
Rozier is good in transition and shooting off the catch - haven't seen any good playmaking in half-court, so don't understand "the buzz"
Demetrius Jackson, on the other hand, did look good in half-court offensively
James Young and RJ Hunter are lethal at C&S 3s, but can't defend worth a lick
Bentil had a nice drive from the top of the arc besides good shooting, but had same defensive problems
Luwawu had some problems with Hunter defensively (probably not a good idea to put him on JJ Redick for the next couple of years) and looked the same size, so you probably wouldn't be able to distinguish between them, if their skin were of the same color. Not a good sign for his ability to defend SFs. Showed a very nice first step couple of times though.

Watching Sixers vs Celtics right now:
Simmons will be an amazing player. Went 6/6 from FT line; 1/2 on pull-ups from mid-range, and the miss was a very tough end of the clock shot; works off the ball as he almost got an off.rebound from FT, sets screens for teammates, and that passing...
Mcconnell and Holmes look like future solid NBA role-players, just making the right plays and competing on defense. TJ makes one mistake and immediately corrects that on the same possession
Rozier is good in transition and shooting off the catch - haven't seen any good playmaking in half-court, so don't understand "the buzz"
Demetrius Jackson, on the other hand, did look good in half-court offensively
James Young and RJ Hunter are lethal at C&S 3s, but can't defend worth a lick
Bentil had a nice drive from the top of the arc besides good shooting, but had same defensive problems
Luwawu had some problems with Hunter defensively (probably not a good idea to put him on JJ Redick for the next couple of years) and looked the same size, so you probably wouldn't be able to distinguish between them, if their skin were of the same color. Not a good sign for his ability to defend SFs. Showed a very nice first step couple of times though.
I think Simmons is going to be a star. I believe he's a true 6'11 in shoes. He looks comfortable with the ball in his hands and he has no problem making reads and passing the ball. He looks like a much more comfortable ball handler than Giannis. Simmons looks like a PG.

He's going to be so damn good. I think his biggest problem will come on scoring. It's not that he's passive, but the fact that he's always trying to make an extra pass or an extra play.

I was really impressive with Luwawu's intensity if anything. His shooting looked really good, despite the awkward release.

While I liked TJ, his defense was absolutely putrid. I'm shocked by this, because unless I'm confusing him for someone else, he was actually a really good defender in college. He got blown by so many times in that game. Just didn't look quick enough.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this off season has definitely been one to remember...can't remember so many big name players changing teams...loyalty is a long lost art. I was highly convinced that Wade would retire a Heat, that's not to say he won't return and just retire anyway, but still...I give a big shout out to Dirk and Timmy, the dying era of stars staying with one franchise through thick and thin. In Timmy's case, lots of thick.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
While I liked TJ, his defense was absolutely putrid. I'm shocked by this, because unless I'm confusing him for someone else, he was actually a really good defender in college. He got blown by so many times in that game. Just didn't look quick enough.
The Wildcat teams he ran point on were defensive powerhouses. Any weaknesses he had were going to be covered up by the rest of those teams. One knock on them was that Miller was so focused on team defense he actually hurt his one and done players' draft stock by not highlighting their offensive abilities. He has great instincts as a coach's son but it was always questionable if he had the athleticism to compete in the NBA. I do hope he can stick as a fan of the guy.

On a different topic, Draymond Green just got arrested last night for assault. How 'bout them apples? Punk. Probably will get away clean as a whistle like he always does.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a different topic, Draymond Green just got arrested last night for assault. How 'bout them apples? Punk. Probably will get away clean as a whistle like he always does.
My understanding is that a guy was taunting him and Green slapped him in the face.

I can't blame that guy for getting caught by a shot to the face, the scouting report says Draymond always goes straight for the testicles.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
New Orleans Pelicans G Jrue Holiday will be out indefinitely, as he tends to his wife, retired soccer star Lauren Holiday, and their soon-to-be-born child.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
New Orleans Pelicans G Jrue Holiday will be out indefinitely, as he tends to his wife, retired soccer star Lauren Holiday, and their soon-to-be-born child.
As a further note - "tending to his wife" in this case means that she has a (fortunately operable) brain tumor. The doctors will not be operating until after she gives birth (November I think?), so Holiday may be out for much of the season.

FWIW, my best to the Holiday family during this time.

because of the dislocated finger? really?

Must have been some additional damage and on his shooting hand. I would have thought maybe a week and tape it up during the season, maybe just sit out camp and tape it up since it happened in preseason.
CBS has it at

Expected to be out until at least Nov 14 Finger

I trust them the most out of everyone else unless you get local coverage maybe.

But maybe its a complex break or something.