[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (NOV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt he or Malone will miss tomorrow. It was really unusual that Jokic was ejected. Malone was being himself and standing up for, imho, non-calls that should have been called. Was probably looking for that inspirational spark a coach tech might inspire, and it just seemed to backfire in surprising fashion.

After this loss, I imagine we will have our work cut out for us.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
New Orleans is recognizing Anthony Davis as having passed Chris Paul to become the franchise's 2nd-leading scorer. Here's the problem with that record: Chris Paul never played for the Pelicans, he played for the Hornets. They're also saying that the Pelicans' all-time leading scorer is David West, who also never played for the Pelicans.

New Orleans is recognizing Anthony Davis as having passed Chris Paul to become the franchise's 2nd-leading scorer. Here's the problem with that record: Chris Paul never played for the Pelicans, he played for the Hornets. They're also saying that the Pelicans' all-time leading scorer is David West, who also never played for the Pelicans.
Who does the sole championship the Kings franchise won belong to? It belongs to the franchise not Sacramento. Why should the franchise give up it's history just because it plays in another city?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Actually, you've got it wrong here. You seem to be thinking that any franchise that played under the name of the Hornets has their records established in Charlotte. However, the way that the franchise records were distributed when the Bobcats changed their name to the Hornets is that any team that played in Charlotte is considered part of the Hornets franchise (with a two-year hiatus between 2002-2004) while any team that played in New Orleans (starting in 2002, and not including the Jazz obviously) is considered the Pelicans. Thus, Chris Paul and David West, who played for teams with a different nickname in New Orleans, but never in Charlotte, have their records with the Pelicans franchise.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The difference is that the Hornets franchise belongs to Charlotte.
Exactly. The all-time scoring leader in Hornets/Pelicans franchise history isn't David West, either, it's Dell Curry. But, for some reason, it was arbitrarily decided that they would not recognize the achievements of any of the players who didn't play in New Orleans. Of course, according to that ridiculous logic, Gerald Wallace is the third-leading scorer in Charlotte Hornets history, even though he never played for the Hornets.

You can't have it both ways, is my point: you can't say that the history belongs to the franchise, and then pick and choose which aspects of the history you want to recognize. Oscar Robertson indeed did not play for the Sacramento Kings, but he played for the franchise which became the Sacramento Kings. Dell Curry never played for the franchise which is currently recognized as the Charlotte Bobcats, he played for the franchise that is currently recognized as the New Orleans Pelicans. He's the Pelicans' all-time leading scorer. Curry, Larry Johnson, Glen Rice, Muggsy Bogues, Alonzo Mourning, etc., all belong on the Pelicans all-time scoring list; the franchise that was owned by George Shinn, and relocated to New Orleans, and is now owned by Tom Benson... that's the team that they played for.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Actually, you've got it wrong here. You seem to be thinking that any franchise that played under the name of the Hornets has their records established in Charlotte. However, the way that the franchise records were distributed when the Bobcats changed their name to the Hornets is that any team that played in Charlotte is considered part of the Hornets franchise (with a two-year hiatus between 2002-2004) while any team that played in New Orleans (starting in 2002, and not including the Jazz obviously) is considered the Pelicans. Thus, Chris Paul and David West, who played for teams with a different nickname in New Orleans, but never in Charlotte, have their records with the Pelicans franchise.
No, I have it right. I understand their argument. I reject the premise of their argument, and the way that they "distributed" the franchise records is utter nonsense.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Dell Curry never played for the franchise which is currently recognized as the Charlotte Bobcats, he played for the franchise that is currently recognized as the New Orleans Pelicans. He's the Pelicans' all-time leading scorer. Curry, Larry Johnson, Glen Rice, Muggsy Bogues, Alonzo Mourning, etc., all belong on the Pelicans all-time scoring list; the franchise that was owned by George Shinn, and relocated to New Orleans, and is now owned by Tom Benson... that's the team that they played for.
I get this. I mean, despite the fact that they in your opinion (and my own too) arbitrarily and incorrectly distributed these years of history to the current Charlotte Hornets.

So if you want to say that Curry, Larry Johnson, etc. played for the Pelicans, I get that, and I would support that (even though the NBA doesn't). But I have no idea in the world how you can say that "Chris Paul never played for the Pelicans". Dell Curry played for a team called the Hornets in Charlotte, that team later moved to New Orleans and subsequently changed its name to the Pelicans. Thus Dell Curry played for the Pelicans. Got it. Chris Paul played for the same team called the Hornets after they had already moved to New Orleans, then subsequently changed its name to the Pelicans. Chris Paul DIDN'T play for the Pelicans?!?!?! Chris Paul played for the same team Dell Curry did. That team is still in New Orleans.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
My ultimate point is that they can't have it both ways: either both Chris Paul and Dell Curry played for the team that is now the Pelicans, or neither of them did. It is certainly true that neither of them played for the team that is currently recognized as the Charlotte Hornets.

To be fair, they don't actually say that Paul played for the Pelicans, they just say that he was the second-leading scorer in franchise history... except, that wasn't true, either. He was third, behind Curry and West, and now he's fourth.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Jesus. Cousins has four fouls in thirteen minutes; I'll be amazed if he gets out of this game without a technical.

FWIW, Golden State has outscored New Orleans something like 29-10 since Cousins went out with his third foul so, even though he hasn't been effective, he must have had some sort of positive outcome on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.