NBA and Euro leagues flip flopped?

This is more just my observations because I can't say if this is totally true or not, or that statistically it can even be proven, but it seems 15-20 years ago foreign or Euro league players were known as offensive players who didn't play defense. That their leagues and players were soft and they had a hard time adjusting to the physical style of play in the NBA. I've watched a lot of basketball going back to the early 80's and I'm seeing that now its almost the opposite. I see a lot of physical play when I watch euro league or international games, and a lot of soft defense being played in the NBA while teams are scoring like crazy.

Some of it is probably due to a stereotype taking hold during a particular decade then leagues adjust to it and overreact by changing the rules of the game. I know the NBA has more overall talent and star power. Am I skewing this and looking at it wrong?

This really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things though as I will follow basketball, more specifically Kings basketball, because I love the sport but its an interesting thing to watch develop. Thoughts?