Napear interviews Karl on defense?

The main thing I got out of it was that Cousins being on the perimeter was a long term plan that could take years to fully develop.

We sacrificed some games in hopes that Cousins becomes a reliable 3 point shooter and play maker in order to open up the lanes... which may or may not net us a championship in the long term. I don't know. Before game 1, I had hoped the Cousins on the perimeter nonsense would stop and I still do, but who am I to question George Karl? He also said that it depended on the match up, so it's not like Cousins won't post up when he should, though I've felt it should be much more frequent.
Cousins enjoys being a jack of all trades, because he thinks he can do anything. So he's on board with this plan. I don't like it, but I guess we have to live with it and hope it works.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The main thing I got out of it was that Cousins being on the perimeter was a long term plan that could take years to fully develop.

We sacrificed some games in hopes that Cousins becomes a reliable 3 point shooter and play maker in order to open up the lanes... which may or may not net us a championship in the long term. I don't know. Before game 1, I had hoped the Cousins on the perimeter nonsense would stop and I still do, but who am I to question George Karl? He also said that it depended on the match up, so it's not like Cousins won't post up when he should, though I've felt it should be much more frequent.
Cousins enjoys being a jack of all trades, because he thinks he can do anything. So he's on board with this plan. I don't like it, but I guess we have to live with it and hope it works.
It won't work...maybe when they are out of the playoff race they will realize this.

It won't work...maybe when they are out of the playoff race they will realize this.
The last game, Cousins was around the 3pt line a lot and things weren't rolling on offense for us. Karl actually called a timeout, and after that, we saw Cuz back down in the block again.

I think there are both pros and cons to Cousins being outside. It's good to at least see Karl make an in-game adjustment in terms of how he's using his players. First time ever...

dude12

Hall of Famer
What's our record? Lots of things aren't working......and it starts with Karl. Give us points in the paint with Cuz and Gay and figure out the defensive side.

That is literally the worst website I have ever been on and unless someone give me a direct link I refuse to try and navigate it. It's like an 8 year old went back in time 20 years and created a geocities page, with a lycos search bar.
If you have a podcast app, look for the grant Napier show. Karl is always on at the beginning of the 5 o'clock hour, so all you have to do is go a couple hours into the show.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

So he actually went on air and threatened to intentionally **** up a HOF center's prime years?

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
What?

This is asinine. Turn Cuz into a perimeter floor spreader because it "might" work down the road(after Karl's gone) while sacrificing this season? This is point blank some of laziest, most inept ideological BS I've heard from a coach in....well since our string of idiot coaches pre-Malone. Actually, they all at least knew how to use Cuz as it's pretty ****ing self explanatory. This organization just can't help itself. This will also fall on Vlade's shoulders.

gunks

Hall of Famer
The main thing I got out of it was that Cousins being on the perimeter was a long term plan that could take years to develop
So what Karl is saying is that.....

... he should be fired immediately?

Jesus. We can't catch a break with coaching around here. And when we do catch a break, our idiot owner fires him for not being jazzy enough.

So his plan is to neuter Cuz and play away from his strengths, in order to get an occasional easy bucket from guys like Casspi?

And, AAAAAAANNNNNDDD, this brilliant idea will take more than a season for us to see results?!

So dumb. So very, very, very dumb.

So very, very, very, very, very, very, exceedingly, incomprehensibly, very very dumb.

Karl. Go away.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What?

This is asinine. Turn Cuz into a perimeter floor spreader because it "might" work down the road(after Karl's gone) while sacrificing this season? This is point blank some of laziest, most inept ideological BS I've heard from a coach in....well since our string of idiot coaches pre-Malone. Actually, they all at least knew how to use Cuz as it's pretty ****ing self explanatory. This organization just can't help itself. This will also fall on Vlade's shoulders.
At some point Vlade will just have to come in and interfere if that's the plan here....this is ridiculous. This man needs to go after the season is over.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
So what Karl is saying is that.....

... he should be fired immediately?

Jesus. We can't catch a break with coaching around here. And when we do catch a break, our idiot owner fires him for not being jazzy enough.

So his plan is to neuter Cuz and play away from his strengths, in order to get an occasional easy bucket from guys like Casspi?

And, AAAAAAANNNNNDDD, this brilliant idea will take more than a season for us to see results?!

So dumb. So very, very, very dumb.

So very, very, very, very, very, very, exceedingly, incomprehensibly, very very dumb.

Karl. Go away.
When do we start protesting? No more three's...no more three's...no more three's?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That is literally the worst website I have ever been on and unless someone give me a direct link I refuse to try and navigate it. It's like an 8 year old went back in time 20 years and created a geocities page, with a lycos search bar.
Here's the link to the podcast page. The Dec. 9 show should be up by tomorrow.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/audio/the-grant-napear-show/

EDIT: It appears as though the podcast is now available. :)

Last edited:
I get some of the frustration over how Karl is using him but Boogie had career highs before the Achilles and back. So there's that.

And please tell why running pick and roll in the middle of floor with Rondo is not a good idea?

Because when Boogie has the ball in this position 15 to 20 feet it makes it harder to double and when opponents do there are better passing lanes. Driving left or right from this position is better than driving left or right off the block because the baseline acts as a pseudo defender and it is easier to send help.

If I recall free throw line extended is where a lot of the face-up plays for C-Webb were run, so it is not exactly unprecedented to move a versatile big man off the block.

And let's get something clear about Boogie out of the post. He doesn't have much of a half hook or a turn around shot off the block. He has a drop step power move along the baseline. And he turns and faces and drives middle. He's not a classic post-up player with a go-to move.

That said there are time you want to run offense through him down low (crunch time and on big-small switches and undersized front lines) and I think we have seen the team try to mix it up and get him the ball down low opportunistically.

What the team has tried to do to fair results is rim runs like Shaq did back in the day where he sprints to the front of the rim and Rondo throws the quick pass before the defense can set. This is an effort to take advantage of his power and strength and carve space in the key.

The idea of Boogie standing out at the three point line during play sets is a fallacy. He ends up at three point on delayed breaks and early offense. But when they actually run a play set he is not standing out there for whole 24 seconds.

I am not defending Karl because I think in terms of leadership and intangibles and defensive schemes he has been bad. But let's not mischaracterize what he has done with Boogie and pretend he wants him to be James Harden.

What?

That is what I'm hoping might be our saving grace. That Vlade won't let this happen. If this season is anywhere near 30 wins, and this misuse of Cousins continues, I have a hard time seeing Karl last beyond that. Vlade is not an idiot, and that is evidenced by the team he put together.

At least that is what I'm hoping.

I've been at work all day and have had a few beers so I can sleep, so forgive me if I am not tracking. I thought the interview was Karl talks about DEFENSE? All I am seeing is Karl's Utopian vision of offense? What the hell ARE we doing on defense?

Interesting to hear Karl talk about our pick&roll defense and about the switching, that upsets so many fans as well as his concept to use DMC and how he believes it's beneficial for the team, even if it's in the long run.
No I don't believe, that Karl is right. But I think he has certain reasons, that do make a lot of sense.
And I come away with the believe, that he tries certain things, but will adjust, if it doesn't work.
So he actually may be less stubborn and tied to his principles as people expect and he is certainly not dumb and without a clue, how to use a big man or how to play defense.

I thought it was a good interview. He explained everything well. Main points I got where... He thinks Cousins is talented enough to play all over the court. Where and how Cousins plays depends on what team they are playing. He said it could take a couple of years to fully develop Cousins. The defense is still a work in progress. The guards don't play aggressive enough when they switch. He may change that strategy. He expects the team to go on a run later in the season when the schedule gets easier.

Like everyone I have been upset at how the team has played at times. But I think Karl knows what he is doing.

WAIT. WAIT. WHAT!

didnt vlade go on record at the start of the season talking about how demarcus needs to stop shooting 3s and dominate the paint ?

He is quoted as saying so.

Something isnt right here - surely we cant not be on the same page after this long.

Why you would turn something great into something else is beyond me. It aint broke just total misuse and abuse of an asset. I cant sum it up any other way.

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO US. WHY WHY WHY WHY. WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS