My Premier League team is coming to play Republic!

Hey, I know this is not strictly Kings, but bear with me.

So Sunderland my Premier League team is coming to play in Sacramento this summer, July 14th-July 17th (we play two games, one vs Republic & one vs Club de Fútbol) and so its really last minuet but I will be coming over with probably a group of other fans.

So has anyone got any reccomendations about a good cheap hotel, restaurants, bars ect... and what kind of price will I be looking at. Also whats the best way of getting from the airport to the city?

The real question is what Kings/ Non Kings related stuff can I see in that time? with it being summer other then the building site of the new stadium im not hopeful! Is the Sleep Train going to be open to have a look in?

Many Thanks

UK

You definitely want to go to Old Sacramento for a partial day. I'd go early evening, maybe 4 o'clock range. There are lots of restaurants for medium to high budgets, good variety. Sort of place that has all the tourists traps and stores, but you can see some of the basic old time culture/goldminer culture.

There is a place I like to go every year or two to have drinks on the patio. It's the Delta King, is basically a river boat that has hotels, a bar, and a restaurant. I think they may still do murder mystery dinner events. The mystery event is decent, nothing special, the food decent but pricey, but go for the view of the city and drinks. You can sit on the patio, get a good look at the city and river. A good way to wrap up the day in that area.

Will give you ideas on other things to do, you should be able to meet people in the area locally without much trouble.

You definitely want to go to Old Sacramento for a partial day. I'd go early evening, maybe 4 o'clock range. There are lots of restaurants for medium to high budgets, good variety. Sort of place that has all the tourists traps and stores, but you can see some of the basic old time culture/goldminer culture.

There is a place I like to go every year or two to have drinks on the patio. It's the Delta King, is basically a river boat that has hotels, a bar, and a restaurant. I think they may still do murder mystery dinner events. The mystery event is decent, nothing special, the food decent but pricey, but go for the view of the city and drinks. You can sit on the patio, get a good look at the city and river. A good way to wrap up the day in that area.

Will give you ideas on other things to do, you should be able to meet people in the area locally without much trouble.
Im struggling to get the time off work at the moment so this might be on hold.

I think the plan is to fly in then go to Sac for July 13th, then meet up (maybe with Republic fans if any want to meet a group of Mackems for a night out? - we probably will have a couple of hundred out there and a group of U.S based/ U.S fans too) with the lads. July 14th will be game day, and all that entails (does Sac have a good nightlife?) then 15th and 16th is tourist days before the 17th we play the Mexican lot at your stadium, hopefully again will be an opportunity to meet up with Sacramento football fans (any anyone else) before we fly out to Toronto, although we might stay to watch you play our massive rivals Newcastle.

So having said all that, Old Sacramento seems good? What is the prices we are talking for food and drink? Also what will the weather be like?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Also what will the weather be like?
The weather is an easy call. You should expect it to be hot (count on 35+ C for a high, 30 C would be pretty lucky) and sunny. It will NOT be humid, so the temperature is a bit more bearable. Rain would be very unusual this time of year. The nights will usually cool down because of an ocean breeze, probably to about 20 C.

Im struggling to get the time off work at the moment so this might be on hold.

I think the plan is to fly in then go to Sac for July 13th, then meet up (maybe with Republic fans if any want to meet a group of Mackems for a night out? - we probably will have a couple of hundred out there and a group of U.S based/ U.S fans too) with the lads. July 14th will be game day, and all that entails (does Sac have a good nightlife?) then 15th and 16th is tourist days before the 17th we play the Mexican lot at your stadium, hopefully again will be an opportunity to meet up with Sacramento football fans (any anyone else) before we fly out to Toronto, although we might stay to watch you play our massive rivals Newcastle.

So having said all that, Old Sacramento seems good? What is the prices we are talking for food and drink? Also what will the weather be like?
Old Sac is actually probably the only place to go if you have that many people around I'd recommend. As they have variety in restaurant selection, both the "clubs" and more quiet types of places all in proximity.

You can find 3 star restaurants, maybe some would say 4 star, but very expensive places down to the casual.

My favorite place closed down though, was Italian and had light jazz bands outdoors. So I only go there to go to the boat and relax near the river now, my wife likes to shop a little too.

But you're bound to find a place to do something. They have comedy clubs too. The older you are, the earlier I'd go in the day. The young fellas may not want to get out there till the later evening if they like the clubs. I'm more of a chill older guy, so I'd prefer the earlier start.

To give you an idea, I liked it there at 18, and now much older I still do, just for different reasons. But it's only a once a year sort of thing for me now, as I'm local.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Prices for food and drink vary. There are numerous restraunts to choose from. I would check the menus online for options and pricing.

Here is the link to everything Old Sacramento, including restraunts, etc.:

http://oldsacramento.com/

I was going to recommend a River Cats game, but they are on the road that week.

Sacramento proper (not just Old Sac) also has a ton of good to great restraunts. No shortage of places to eat.

Then you can get to the touristy stuff you may or may not be interested in. Pretty cool train museum and underground tours of Old Sac. State Capitol building. Sutter's Fort. Crocker Art Museum. The kinda stuff that depending on your age and interest you laugh and shake your head at or actually enjoy the peek at life as you've never seen it before.

Last edited:
But you're bound to find a place to do something. They have comedy clubs too. The older you are, the earlier I'd go in the day. The young fellas may not want to get out there till the later evening if they like the clubs. I'm more of a chill older guy, so I'd prefer the earlier start.

To give you an idea, I liked it there at 18, and now much older I still do, just for different reasons. But it's only a once a year sort of thing for me now, as I'm local.
Great thank you.

Im 19, but I think the plan is to drink in bars and then go to the game and then hit the clubs after. so perhaps a mix and match as your saying sounds good!

Great thank you.

Im 19, but I think the plan is to drink in bars and then go to the game and then hit the clubs after. so perhaps a mix and match as your saying sounds good!
21 is the drinking age here, I lived in Europe for awhile and was 16 where I was. I know it sucks, will have to find an old guy and a place to hide. They check ID's for strictly clubs/bars that only serve alcohol extensively now. Back in the day many places couldn't care less. But not now, too many lawyers trying to make a claim for something or other, and government agencies trying to get a fine etc.

But places like the comedy club are 18 and older I believe, so you should still have some options out there.

21 is the drinking age here, I lived in Europe for awhile and was 16 where I was. I know it sucks, will have to find an old guy and a place to hide. They check ID's for strictly clubs/bars that only serve alcohol extensively now. Back in the day many places couldn't care less. But not now, too many lawyers trying to make a claim for something or other, and government agencies trying to get a fine etc.

But places like the comedy club are 18 and older I believe, so you should still have some options out there.
that didn't even occur to me even though its obvious... S***

hmmm that changes things then!

Sunderland will actually be playing Club Pachuca from Mexico in Sacramento. They have some really good young players and have one of the best youth systems in Mexico. Just a heads up to all the locals, should be a good watch/ clash of styles. With an English team like Sunderland its all about strength and speed, very direct attack. Pachuca and most Mexican clubs emphasize skill on the ball, and possesion with quickness, but not much strength. If I lived in Sac i would go to this game, Premier League team vs one of the best teams in Mexico in your backyard.

19? Ouch.
There are so many new bars in midtown. Old Sacramento will be the last place you'll want to go. A lot of the sac republic battalion end up at deveers on L st. From there People spill out and hit up all the other bars, Firestone, the bear, federalist, tank house, tap house, der Biergarten..........I could go on and on. There are a lot of older bars such as zebra club, press club, distillery etc that are packed too. If your by the capital the selection is thin but is getting better as the construction of the arena progresses. On K st you have Kbar, dive bar (cheesy but it gets packed) coin op game bar, kareoke sushi bar, tequila museo mayahuel, and pizza rock for decent pizza and a cold beer.
During the World Cup streets of London would be full of Brits watching the matches. That's another place that will be crowded on a Saturday night.

There are too many good restaurants to list. Again you'll want to go to the midtown area. Get out of the downtown and definitely don't go to old sac to eat. The food is over priced and you'll get a lot better selection and quality in mid town.

Lodging I only know of the Sheraton, the citizen, embassy suites and the holiday inn by I-5.
Honestly I'd check out Airbnb and see if someone is offering their house for rent. I've used Airbnb around the country and I love it. Better than staying at a hotel.

Last edited: