My off-season fix for the Kings

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's my fix the team offseason:

Let Rondo walk.

Trade Rudy & the #8 pick (likely in a three way deal) to Phoenix for Bledsoe, #13 & #28

Trade Belinelli and #28 for #24 (in taking Simmons the Sixers will want shooters and have oodles of cap room)

At #13 draft Luwawu

At #24 draft Deandre Bembry

At #59 grab Isaiah Cousins, and then sign Troy Williams as a undrafted free agent

Sign Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee and Seth Curry

Sign Acy with the Room Exception and fill the last roster spot with either Moreland or Arturas Gudaitis and then option I. Cousins (as a potential combo guard) and Williams (as a energy/defensive wing) to Reno.

PG Bledsoe/Collison/Curry
SG Lee/McLemore/Bembry
SF Casspi/Butler/Luwawu
PF Cauley-Stein/Anderson/Acy
C Cousins/Koufos/Gudaitis or Moreland

That's a solid defensive team with a few veterans, a second star (if he stays healthy) in Bledsoe that pairs better with Cousins, a solid bench led by Collison (possibly after a suspension) & R. Anderson and some interesting rookies to develop.

Let Rondo walk.

Trade Rudy & the #8 pick (likely in a three way deal) to Phoenix for Bledsoe, #13 & #28

Trade Belinelli and #28 for #24 (in taking Simmons the Sixers will want shooters and have oodles of cap room)

At #13 draft Luwawu

At #59 grab Isaiah Cousins, and then sign Troy Williams as a undrafted free agent

Sign Acy with the Room Exception and fill the last roster spot with either Moreland or Arturas Gudaitis and then option I. Cousins (as a potential combo guard) and Williams (as a energy/defensive wing) to Reno.

SG Lee/McLemore/Bembry
SF Casspi/Butler/Luwawu

That's a solid defensive team with a few veterans, a second star (if he stays healthy) in Bledsoe that pairs better with Cousins, a solid bench led by Collison (possibly after a suspension) & R. Anderson and some interesting rookies to develop.

I like it! We should sign Jaleel Cousins, and go with the Cousins trifecta! :D

Let Rondo walk.

At #13 draft Luwawu

SG Lee/McLemore/Bembry
SF Casspi/Butler/Luwawu

Where can I sign? The only thing I would add to this is Matt Barnes instead of Moreland or Gudaitis. I think in this scenario we are not really deep at SF, and Matt can be a solid backup.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where can I sign? The only thing I would add to this is Matt Barnes instead of Moreland or Gudaitis. I think in this scenario we are not really deep at SF, and Matt can be a solid backup.
I was hoping the Kings would sign Barnes but (1) I don't think he's signing for the minimum so he'd require caproom that wouldn't exist in my scenario and (2) it's a tough situation if both of your backup SFs (Butler and Barnes) are at the end of their careers. Also tough to not have a third center. I suppose you could go with WCS and Koufos at C and Anderson & Acy at PF if Cuz goes down OR sign a guy like Moreland midseason if need be.

I just want to see Vlade & co work with with Joerger this offseason to give him a roster he can win with. There are definitely moves out there that would improve the Kings.

Suns are going to want more value for Bledsoe (even if they draft Dunn). They would likely decline #8 for Bledsoe straight up which obviously makes the Gay for #13 & #28 heavily favored in our direction. I don't think this trade has a shot at happening. Especially considering Gay is 30 years old and if they are moving Bledsoe, they should be getting young value back. Not an old talent like Gay.

Also, Belinelli doesn't have positive value. No way you're packaging #28 with him and moving up. If anything, you would package him with #28 to drop to the early to mid second round.

Courtney Lee really liked playing for Charlotte last season, and he's a very good fit with their team. You can squint and say that if he liked Joerger we could have a shot but if he likes Charlotte (while them also being a winner last year), It makes it difficult to say we are favorites.to lure him here. You also don't give prices for how much you'd offer the FAs. That's very important when playing through these scenarios.

Lastly, I don't like the PG depth. If Collison can't go this season, you're left with an injury prone PG & Curry. We need to have better PG depth unless there's news that Collison is going to be able to play this season.

I'm not saying I don't like the team you put together, there's just things that would still need to be addressed and that are unrealistic in my eyes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suns are going to want more value for Bledsoe (even if they draft Dunn). They would likely decline #8 for Bledsoe straight up which obviously makes the Gay for #13 & #28 heavily favored in our direction. I don't think this trade has a shot at happening. Especially considering Gay is 30 years old and if they are moving Bledsoe, they should be getting young value back. Not an old talent like Gay.

Also, Belinelli doesn't have positive value. No way you're packaging #28 with him and moving up. If anything, you would package him with #28 to drop to the early to mid second round.

Courtney Lee really liked playing for Charlotte last season, and he's a very good fit with their team. You can squint and say that if he liked Joerger we could have a shot but if he likes Charlotte (while them also being a winner last year), It makes it difficult to say we are favorites.to lure him here. You also don't give prices for how much you'd offer the FAs. That's very important when playing through these scenarios.

Lastly, I don't like the PG depth. If Collison can't go this season, you're left with an injury prone PG & Curry. We need to have better PG depth unless there's news that Collison is going to be able to play this season.

I'm not saying I don't like the team you put together, there's just things that would still need to be addressed and that are unrealistic in my eyes.
Some legitimate points/questions to be sure.

Staring with PG depth, Collison is currently the ONLY PG on the roster so certainly a lot has to happen there regardless. And unless Collison himself takes the year off he'll play next season. He's virtually untradeable at this point but he's charged with two misdemeanors. Depending on what happened that night the NBA will rightfully suspend him but based on prescedent I doubt it's more than 10 games.

Side note: I'm still incredibly upset to see Darren Collison charged and potentially guilty of domestic violence. Did not ever expect that.

My money for FA was essentially around $16 million for Anderson, $10 for Lee and $5 for Curry. Curry should be under that figure, allowing for additional cash for the other two if need be.

And I do think Lee's tie to Joerger, a very good offer and Vlade's ability to sell his vision, the new arena etc would all help sell Lee as well as local kid Ryan Anderson.

Belinelli had an awful year. But he still has a long history of being a great bench shooter and the Spurs pedigree. Not to mention his contract is now a complete bargain if he returns to form. Given Philly's enormous caproom and war chest of picks I don't see that being all that far fetched.

The Bledsoe deal probably is a reach. But it also depends on how they value Gay or what Rudy might fetch them in a 3 team deal. But more importantly it may depend on who is there at 8. If they love say, Chriss or Brown then maybe they are willing to overpay if they see Dunn/Booker and Brown or Chriss as their new core going forward.

Some legitimate points/questions to be sure.

Staring with PG depth, Collison is currently the ONLY PG on the roster so certainly a lot has to happen there regardless. And unless Collison himself takes the year off he'll play next season. He's virtually untradeable at this point but he's charged with two misdemeanors. Depending on what happened that night the NBA will rightfully suspend him but based on prescedent I doubt it's more than 10 games.

Side note: I'm still incredibly upset to see Darren Collison charged and potentially guilty of domestic violence. Did not ever expect that.

My money for FA was essentially around $16 million for Anderson, $10 for Lee and $5 for Curry. Curry should be under that figure, allowing for additional cash for the other two if need be.

And I do think Lee's tie to Joerger, a very good offer and Vlade's ability to sell his vision, the new arena etc would all help sell Lee as well as local kid Ryan Anderson.

Belinelli had an awful year. But he still has a long history of being a great bench shooter and the Spurs pedigree. Not to mention his contract is now a complete bargain if he returns to form. Given Philly's enormous caproom and war chest of picks I don't see that being all that far fetched.

The Bledsoe deal probably is a reach. But it also depends on how they value Gay or what Rudy might fetch them in a 3 team deal. But more importantly it may depend on who is there at 8. If they love say, Chriss or Brown then maybe they are willing to overpay if they see Dunn/Booker and Brown or Chriss as their new core going forward.
Belinelli (if anything) is looking like a product of the Spurs system right now. After a dreadful season (93 out of 97 SGs in RAPM) why would any team give value for him? Especially when you're trading him (a 30 year old) to the Sixers? Makes no sense. Why would they take a worse long term asset just for a veteran that is not going to be around when they start competing? And if you say vet leadership or mentorship, I may just pull my hair out. You don't give up long term assets for vet leadership. You can sign these guys in FA or trade other non long term assets for them in a trade.

The problem I have with your Bledsoe trades (and a lot of trades around here) is that you're arguing that the trade is possible IF Phoenix highly values someone at 8. Talk about wishing & hoping... Plan for the worst, hope for the best should be the motto when drafting up an offseason plan. You shouldn't be banking your main offseason move on something that needs everything to fall in line. It's great if it happens, but it's not wise to plan that way.

As for Lee, I don't think $10 mil is nearly enough for a 3&D verteran SG. $10 mil is essentially $6.5 mil under the current cap. No way you'd get Lee for that cheap. I can see him getting $12-15 mil a year. Now we can offer him that amount of money still. That doesn't fold your plan, but then you have the aspect of does he want to end his last years of being a very productive player in Sacramento? Maybe, but I'm very skeptical about trying to bring people here who's main motivation won't be the money (considering I really only see us signing FAs if we overpay minus Anderson).

Lastly, I think we are all dissapointed in Collison. I was of the mindset that he didn't just need to be worried about a suspension but that he needed to be worried about jail time. It's hard to really say what's going to happen, but we need to be prepared to have a roster that will be okay if he can't play.

Last edited:
I just hope Vlade doesn't sign Ryan Anderson. Everyone talks about Love's problems throughout the playoffs, that Lue was more or less forced to bench him even though he played alongside a very mobile and gritty Tristan Thompson.
Or take a look at David Lee, who was an All Star and than his career more or less crumbled.
Both Love and Lee are skilled offensive bigs like Anderson and share the same problems on the defensive end too.
Love looked very aggressive and willing on the defensive end, but he couldn't get the job done most of the time. And Love is still way better than Anderson.
I would take a solid and versatile wing like Solomon Hill over Anderson on a big time contract. Yes he is a proven 20ppg scorer, but unless we finally fix our defense we all know where this will end. And Cousins+Anderson will not work on D, unless we have stellar perimeter defenders.

Hmm. Bulls just dealt Rose. Got Jerian Grant and makes me think they will go after Conley.

Me thinks signing Rondo is going to be imminent. I'd love to see us offer Austin Rivers for more toughness at point too.

I'd like to move the #8, Gay, and Mcelmore for a more dynamic player.

Last edited:
With Knicks seemingly off the market Rondo might have to settle for 105% of his previous salary. Whether he will run Joerger's offense or his own is a much bigger question than money though.

Let Rondo walk.

At #13 draft Luwawu

SG Lee/McLemore/Bembry
SF Casspi/Butler/Luwawu

Casspi hasn't proven he's a capable starter at SF and the Suns aren't giving up Bledsoe AND two 1st rounders for Rudy Gay (and whatever else you have in mind). I don't think we'd have cap room for Anderson and Lee. And Luwawu is two years away from being one year away. ;)

With the reports that we won't be in the market for a top freeagent, the likelihood increasing that we go after Ryan Anderson because we are in win-now mode and considering that we probably wont have a first rounder in 2017 and 2019 , this years draft decision becomes even more important.
Purely from a roster planning standpoint I wonder if it therefore makes the most sense to trade the 8th pick to Atlanta for #12 and #21 and select a point guard and a wing to secure young talent for the future and then go for established vets in free agency.

Potential targets at #12:
PG: Wade Baldwin, Dejounte Murray
Wing: Timothe Luwawu

Potential targets at #21:
PG: Tyler Ulis, Demetrius Jackson
Wing: Taurean Prince, Deandre Bembrey, Pat Mccaw

Assuming we use our cap space to sign Ryan Anderson and Courtney Lee, we would have a veteran core of Cuz, Gay and Collison, complimented by Lee, Casspi, Anderson and Koufos. And we would also have Willie, Ben and two young players from this years draft at PG and on the wing developing behind those vets.