My first trip to Mexico

Going down to Playa del Carmen (which is about 1 hr out of Cancun I believe) for my brother's bachelor party. Anyone been down there before? If so, any tips? Suggestions?

It is gonna be my first trip down to Mexico so I have mixed feelings. I don't really know what to expect while down there....anyone willing to take a shot at making me feel better????

Heading down there on Tuesday...

I have traveled back and forth to Mexico many times and i'll be the first to tell you that you have absolutely nothing to worry about the people are extraordinarily friendly and family oriented. As long as you don't actively look for trouble you will have a great time BUT seriously don't drink the tap water your system is not used to the bacteria and you will get sick. Beer makes an excellent substitute:).

Cancun (just north of Playa del Carmen) is jet-set resort that's bigger overall than PDC which is usually bit more laid back. Been to Yucatan peninsula couple times and it seemed PDC was always bit more European hang-out, not as rowdy as Cancun can be - especially around Spring break. Mexico is huge diverse country of around 130M people so it shouldn't be stereotyped as always dangerous, always dirty, etc. These are world class resorts so in general they don't present host of problems for visitors as long you're exercising routine common sense. Spectacular Yucatan peninsula is one of safest if not most safe area in all of Mexico - consisting of three Mexican states, Quintana Roo (where you'll be), Campeche, Yucatan. I would not miss some of Mayan ruins dotting the landscape if you have time, like Tulum, especially since it's not too far from PDC. Chichen Itza is further away in central Yucatan but if you get to it you'll never forget that one. The stunning pyramid site is listed as top ancient wonder of the world. You could probably arrange air con tourist bus tour to see both Tulum and C. Itza in full day of site seeing adventure. Have fun!

My mother has some rental property in/near cartel infested waters and they don't mess around with tourists. I understand that is is kind of an unspoken rule that if they leave the tourists and the incoming $$$ alone the local police look the other way.

I've been 3 or 4 times over the years and not had any problems.

So.....I had a wonderful time down in PDC. Only complaint I had was that the place we stayed at was very sketchy...I actually did not like that place AT ALL...amazing, and fresh, Mexican cuisine....and the party scene was awesome. We were within walking distance of all of the bars and clubs...overall, had a wonderful time...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
So.....I had a wonderful time down in PDC. Only complaint I had was that the place we stayed at was very sketchy...I actually did not like that place AT ALL...amazing, and fresh, Mexican cuisine....and the party scene was awesome. We were within walking distance of all of the bars and clubs...overall, had a wonderful time...
Any details on the sketchiness? Was it lousy accomodations, dangerous accomodations or what? Just curios. It IS TDOS. ;) Glad you had a wonderful time.

Any details on the sketchiness? Was it lousy accomodations, dangerous accomodations or what? Just curios. It IS TDOS. ;) Glad you had a wonderful time.
Lousy....the place needs a serious facelift...looks hella old...plumbing was garbage... AC unit leaked at one point....pool was not very well maintained....

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Lousy....the place needs a serious facelift...looks hella old...plumbing was garbage... AC unit leaked at one point....pool was not very well maintained....
No roaches or rats? You missed out on the whole experience. :) I have seen both in the Philippines. There is nothing like a rat in your room. Keeps you awake because it sounds like there is something in your room. Turn on the light and voila! there it is.