More from Phil on possible Kings relocation:

I'm on the 'We Love Phil' bandwagon if the Kings stay and he's a big part of it! I can still hate on Kobe though to fulfill my LA despise.:D

edit: and I think we as Kings fans owe Phil a HUGE thank you for stepping up for us if they stay and we get things worked out here!

what an unlikely white knight
Yeah, no kidding...the team that we've devoted 99% of our hatred for as Sacramentans, might just be reversing it's fortunes amongst us. Now...if we can just hear about more progress with this Comcast/Universal thing, we can keep the 'Kings stay' ball rolling!

Still.. If his greed allows us to keep our Kings then I will be the first to give the guy a standing ovation the first time he is back in Sacramento (after the decision not the last game of the season).

Lol, yeah I feel you. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably be thinking just like you.
Do you blame us though? Right now what means most to me is keeping the Kings in Sac. Whoever is onboard to help is my friend. Whoever is sitting back bashing Sac from a distance, and secretly hoping we lose the team to Anaheim is my enemy.

Major props to Phil. It sort of reminds me of when Bob Lurie tried to sell the Giants to a Tampa Bay group back in '92. The biggest opponents of the move were none other than the hated Dodgers. Then owner Peter O'Malley had major pull within MLB circles so instead of allowing Lurie to sell right away, he made him seek out a local owner and sure enough, Pete Magowan came to the rescue.

The Dodgers knew that the rivalry was good for both franchises and that losing their nocal rivals would be a negative for the league in general so they spoke up. Phil is doing the same as he appreciates passionate crowds as opposed to what he assumes will be a blase fan base in Anaheim.

OTOH, when you consider Phil's rivals down the hall and looking at this objectively, I don't see how Donald Sterling can possibly have any pull with the rest of the owners or have justification for trying to block this relocation. I said it on another thread but I have to think that the Maloofs can find some sort of legal angle for getting out of paying him a cent of territorial rights fees. The league and just about anybody connected to the NBA has practically begged Sterling to move to Anaheim for many reasons, one being to avoid the situation we have here in the possibility of a 3 team market. Had Sterling moved, the socal option wouldn't even be able for the Maloofs. Now, he's complaining about someone moving there? Sorry man but that is just flat out hypocritical. Sterling is 100% responsible for the availability of Anaheim so I don't see why the Maloofs would have to pay him also.

Sorry for the rant but I don't like this one bit but when you really break it down, the Maloofs and the city of Sacramento aren't the only bad guys here. If you look hard enough, there are tons of them out there.

Last edited:
Hopefully they can swing enough votes to block the move to Anaheim. I don't hold any hope of other owners taking Dnald Sterling seriously but Buss still carries some weight around so hopefully he carries enough to get the move blocked.

Unfortunately, that would be just a step 1 in the process. Sacramento would still need to come up with a viable plan and FAST otherwise we are going to get to the same point this time next year (if there is a season) the only difference would be that it wouldn't be Anaheim but some other city out there.

I just hope this thing gets sorted where everyone is happy. If not then this could get really ugly on so many levels.

Yeah those greedy bastards, putting money first. They should be more like The Maloofs and not be so financially motivated.
Everyone's involvement in this issue has financial motivations behind it, except maybe the fans.

• Maloofs want to earn more money and increase the worth of their teamby moving to a bigger market
  • Buss and Sterling don't want them to move into their territory because it would have a negative impact on their teams financially (if the Kings were moving into another team's territory Lakers and Clippers wouldn't give a ****)
  • Sacramento don't want the Kings to go because it would have a negative financial impact on region
  • Anaheim wants the team because it would positively impact their economy.

Its all about the $$$ from each and every party except maybe the fans who are more emotionally involved and probably a group with the least say in the matter.

Last edited:
Everyone's involvement in this issue has financial motivations except maybe the fans.

• Maloofs want to earn more money by moving the team
  • Buss and Sterling don't want them to move into their territory because it would have a negative impact on their teams financially (if the Kings were moving into another team's territory Lakers and Clippers couldn't care less)
  • Sacramento don't want the Kings to go because it would have a negative financial impact on them
  • Anaheim wants the team because it would positively impact their economy.

Its all about the $$$ from each and every party except maybe the fans who are more emotionally involved and probably a group with the least say in the matter.
Yeah I know. That was sort of my point. My comment was sarcasm.

Hopefully, the Maloofs will come to their senses, or the Anaheim deal will fall through and it will never have to go to the BOG. However, if it does go to the BOG, I must admit that the idea of the Maloof's relocation effort being squashed by the BOG makes me giddy. That would be the ultimate "in your face" gesture to the Maloofs. Having said that, i don't hold out much hope that the BOG would actually reject the move, so let's keep hoping/praying that it never gets to that point.

Hopefully, the Maloofs will come to their senses, or the Anaheim deal will fall through and it will never have to go to the BOG. However, if it does go to the BOG, I must admit that the idea of the Maloof's relocation effort being squashed by the BOG makes me giddy. That would be the ultimate "in your face" gesture to the Maloofs. Having said that, i don't hold out much hope that the BOG would actually reject the move, so let's keep hoping/praying that it never gets to that point.
I am hoping that they don't reach an agreement by the 18th because if it does go to BOG, then the Kings are as good as gone. All they need is 16 votes (including their own) and its over. You can mount a case for maybe up to 10 owners opposing the move but to get 16 is far fetched especially considering that these guys generally look out for each other.

Like I said, Buss has some pull around the league but if Sterling pleads with any other owner they would just laugh him off.

Still 16 teams opposing the move is pretty unlikely thats why the best scenario here would be for Maloofs and Anaheim to not reach an agreement by the deadline. and it gives Sacramento some time (especially with the likely lock out) to get something done and prevent this from happening in the future.

I am hoping that they don't reach an agreement by the 18th because if it does go to BOG, then the Kings are as good as gone. All they need is 16 votes (including their own) and its over. You can mount a case for maybe up to 10 owners opposing the move but to get 16 is far fetched especially considering that these guys generally look out for each other.

Like I said, Buss has some pull around the league but if Sterling pleads with any other owner they would just laugh him off.

Still 16 teams opposing the move is pretty unlikely thats why the best scenario here would be for Maloofs and Anaheim to not reach an agreement by the deadline. and it gives Sacramento some time (especially with the likely lock out) to get something done and prevent this from happening in the future.
You're allowed to vote on your own move? I thought only the 29 other teams voted.

But here's the deal. It's not like they are just going to vote. There will be a discussion. They will have to set the fee before the vote. It may take the high side of the fee range to get enough swing votes. With Sam Amicks SI article the other owners are already worried about the maloofs finances. They are going to want to see hard numbers. If comast can come up with a new TV contract and the Taylor/ICON group with an arena plan it could swing it towards sacramento. Remember the vote isnt April 18th, it will be a few months later. This is where KJ needs to work some magic to make sure the vote is after the Taylor/ICON findings.

But here's the deal. It's not like they are just going to vote. There will be a discussion. They will have to set the fee before the vote. It may take the high side of the fee range to get enough swing votes. With Sam Amicks SI article the other owners are already worried about the maloofs finances. They are going to want to see hard numbers. If comast can come up with a new TV contract and the Taylor/ICON group with an arena plan it could swing it towards sacramento. Remember the vote isnt April 18th, it will be a few months later. This is where KJ needs to work some magic to make sure the vote is after the Taylor/ICON findings.
Of course the vote isn't on the 18th but the Maloofs have to file their request by the 18th of they want to move the team.

IMHO, if it gets to that stage, the Kings are as good as gone. Owners are not going to turn on one another because they will again have to rely on each other down the track. Its that simple. They have always looked out for each others interests and majority rules.

IMHO, there is no way you can convince 16 owners that moving the team to Anaheim is a **** idea. The issue here is that all of these owners know how long the arena issue has been hanging around Sacramento and majority of them like Maloofs. They will feel symphatetic to their cause. If the Kings were moving to New York, Buss and Sterling would vote YES but because they are proposing to move into their market, they will strongly oppose this since it affects their finances.

There might be questions asked about Maloofs finances but legally, they can't force them to reveal their bank balance and they certainly wouldn't want to block any move because they think Maloofs are struggling financially or that opens a can of worms that no one want to touch.

Like I said, the best possible chance for Sacramento is that the parties fail to reach an agreement by the 18th and the deal falls through, or there is some sort of legal fine print somewhere that ensures that any resolution to this action is prolonged passed 18th of April.

Of course the vote isn't on the 18th but the Maloofs have to file their request by the 18th of they want to move the team.

IMHO, if it gets to that stage, the Kings are as good as gone. Owners are not going to turn on one another because they will again have to rely on each other down the track. Its that simple. They have always looked out for each others interests and majority rules.

IMHO, there is no way you can convince 16 owners that moving the team to Anaheim is a **** idea. The issue here is that all of these owners know how long the arena issue has been hanging around Sacramento and majority of them like Maloofs. They will feel symphatetic to their cause. If the Kings were moving to New York, Buss and Sterling would vote YES but because they are proposing to move into their market, they will strongly oppose this since it affects their finances.

There might be questions asked about Maloofs finances but legally, they can't force them to reveal their bank balance and they certainly wouldn't want to block any move because they think Maloofs are struggling financially or that opens a can of worms that no one want to touch.

Like I said, the best possible chance for Sacramento is that the parties fail to reach an agreement by the 18th and the deal falls through, or there is some sort of legal fine print somewhere that ensures that any resolution to this action is prolonged passed 18th of April.
You bet they can ask for their financial stuff. They are part of a league and have to abide by their rules. And yes if it puts them in a worse finanical position they would block it. They dont want to buy the team like the Hornets.

In case you havent been reading, there are already owners against the move that have gone public. We havent heard from the others. And like what has been said several times those other owners in big markets might not like a precident of another team moving in because they are next. The filing for relocation is the formality, its the vote that matters.

You bet they can ask for their financial stuff. They are part of a league and have to abide by their rules. And yes if it puts them in a worse finanical position they would block it. They dont want to buy the team like the Hornets.

In case you havent been reading, there are already owners against the move that have gone public. We havent heard from the others. And like what has been said several times those other owners in big markets might not like a precident of another team moving in because they are next. The filing for relocation is the formality, its the vote that matters.
If thats your opinion, how many relocation requests have been rejected in the history of the NBA. I think you will find that in practice, vote is more of a formality than you think.

Oh and the owners can ask for financials of the Sacramento Kings, not Maloofs personal or other business income because legally they do NOT have the right to demand that. They can request it as a gesture to see if Maloofs are dumb enough to oblige (a bit like Sacramento asking Kings to put in writing that they will pay $77 million if they leave). All Maloofs need to do is prove that their business (ie basketball team) would be more viable if they moved out of Sacramento and currently thats not that hard to prove considering the limited stream of revenue that Kings have.

Also there is very little risk of the Hornets situation happening here because all of those owners are aware of Samueli's interest in owning NBA team in Anaheim, if the Maloofs are forced to sell, Samueli WILL buy and won't be scared away by possible back lash of taking a team from another team or relocation cost of buying a different team and moving them to Anaheim. Essentially, for Samueli all the dirty work would already have been done with Maloofs copping all the blame along the way. This dude is a very smart operator. He has the Maloofs right where he wants them.

And generally, the owners that have not commented on this, are the ones that are indifferent to the rule. All we have heard is 3 owners being against this move. Even if you get more of the big market owners to vote against this, you are well short of the 16 required votes. The small market teams might well be inclined to vote for this move because, it sets a precendence for possibly moving into a bigger market down the track and also with the proposed shared revenue model, smaller market teams will benefit from the big market teams.

Small market teams have nothing to lose here.

Last edited:
If thats your opinion, how many relocation requests have been rejected in the history of the NBA. I think you will find that in practice, vote is more of a formality than you think.

Oh and the owners can ask for financials of the Sacramento Kings, not Maloofs personal or other business income because legally they do NOT have the right to demand that. They can request it as a gesture to see if Maloofs are dumb enough to oblige (a bit like Sacramento asking Kings to put in writing that they will pay $77 million if they leave). All Maloofs need to do is prove that their business (ie basketball team) would be more viable if they moved out of Sacramento and currently thats not that hard to prove considering the limited stream of revenue that Kings have.

Also there is very little risk of the Hornets situation happening here because all of those owners are aware of Samueli's interest in owning NBA team in Anaheim, if the Maloofs are forced to sell, Samueli WILL buy and won't be scared away by possible back lash of taking a team from another team or relocation cost of buying a different team and moving them to Anaheim. Essentially, for Samueli all the dirty work would already have been done with Maloofs copping all the blame along the way. This dude is a very smart operator. He has the Maloofs right where he wants them.
How many teams have moved into a big market with another team? ONE ! The clippers. This was before the NBA took off and the leagues finances were totally different. It's also after the league has added 5 teams all to small markets. This is something different and new.

Yes they can ask for whatever financial information they want to prove they can be financially viable. You dont understand they are part of the league. This isn't like a private business. They knew the rules going in.