Monta Ellis

ESPN is reportig that Dallas may look to trade Ellis.

Well, right now FA doesn't seem like a likely path to gather great talent with recent turmoil. Maybe offer #6 and Stauskas?

Ellis is opting out and what is reported is that the Mavs won't make a push to resign him.

If we are looking to trade Rudy, I much rather chase him than Rondo... but that say much more about how I feel about getting Rondo.

He opted out. Given our supposed interest in guys like Lou Williams, I could see us interested in Monta. Would prefer we sign more of a 3 and D wing, but a playmaking guard that could both back up and play next to Collison would be useful too.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
BITE YOUR TONGUE! The LAST thing we need is a no-defense playing uber-chucker who never saw a shot he did not like. Dude would KILL Rudy's game and while DMC might chalk up 5 more rebounds a game off Monta's misses he would see see the ball about half as often.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Monta Ellis has that effect where whatever team he ends up on has no chance of making any sort of run in the postseason. Sure...he's been on multiple playoff teams, but what he puts out is not enticing enough and why he is looking for a new team yet again.

K

KingMilz

Monta Ellis has that effect where whatever team he ends up on has no chance of making any sort of run in the postseason. Sure...he's been on multiple playoff teams, but what he puts out is not enticing enough and why he is looking for a new team yet again.
They took the last year champions to 7 games.......after he left the Bucks they were the worst team in the NBA, I think the guy gets a unfair rep on here.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They took the last year champions to 7 games.......after he left the Bucks they were the worst team in the NBA, I think the guy gets a unfair rep on here.
I don't think it's unfair at all. He has clashed with his teammates based on reports in Dallas and that might be because he likes to become "shot happy". Monta is what he is at this point, which is a volume scorer. He is capable of having big games but he is better suited coming off the bench IMO.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You want to see Nik coming off the bench or Monta? Nik sucks right now and there is a strong possibility he's going to be less than ready again. Start Monta and have Ben come off the bench then...either way its an upgrade to the roster without giving up any assets.

I'd take Ellis depending on the price. Last year the bench couldn't score or defend. At least we're getting a scorer here. He's been more efficient the last couple years. Still can't shoot but can handle the ball and make plays.

well everyone says we need to add shooting, but don't we need a 3 and D player that can play defense and shoot efficient 3 pt shot without being a volume chucker?

Just sayin

Guys you're gonna have to concede that we are either gonna take a risk on someone like Rondo or Ellis (Ellis less of a risk, gets too much of a bad rap imo). Or we are gonna wind up with bottom of the barrell free agents. Too many issues with our franchise for any noteworthy free agent to consider us this summer.

Ill say this Monta is MILES better than any SG we have and fills that combo guard mold we seem to be looking at. I could see he and Boogie getting along as well, both being competitive and southern boys.

Rondo could be washed up or maybe he was traded into the worst situation for a player like him. Charlisle has a system and Rondo is someone thst likes to have the reigns of his team.

Guys you're gonna have to concede that we are either gonna take a risk on someone like Rondo or Ellis (Ellis less of a risk, gets too much of a bad rap imo). Or we are gonna wind up with bottom of the barrell free agents. Too many issues with our franchise for any noteworthy free agent to consider us this summer.

Ill say this Monta is MILES better than any SG we have and fills that combo guard mold we seem to be looking at. I could see he and Boogie getting along as well, both being competitive and southern boys.

Rondo could be washed up or maybe he was traded into the worst situation for a player like him. Charlisle has a system and Rondo is someone thst likes to have the reigns of his team.
Well Monta is a great player. Don't get me wrong. He is a better player than Ben. But the question I keep asking myself is, if he really benefits our team.
Cousins caused havoc late in the season as a playmaker and handled the ball a whole lot. Gay is capable to play off the ball, but his true value comes with his ability to create shots.
Monta can break down a defense and is a good passer, but he needs the ball to play his game.
I saw Tyreke as a bad fit next to Cousins. I saw IT as a bad fit next to Cousins. And the same goes for Monta Ellis.
And I'm hesitant to throw big money at a player, who is not a defensive stud.
We are a bad defensive team and every player we add, should be a good to great defender.
I take a couple of lesser talents, that know how to defend, how to get open and how to move the ball without dribbling over Monta Ellis.

I have no doubt Rondo and Monta are still very good basketball players, and while it's somewhat nice to hear us linked with bigger namne FA's compared to the Maloof years, neither of these provide the shooting that our team desperately needs. I'd probably rather see that money go to Danny Green or something, just someone who can shoot! I think Monta will need the ball too much to be effective, and i think Rondo just doesn't compliment our roster, since we have no shooters in place. Simple as that - no shooting, no need to be on this team right now, unless some trades are made.