Mo Evans Interview

Really good interview-covers a lot of topics. Its from tonight's.....ugh, I don't even want to say his name or mention his show. I feel so dirty for listening...but forgive me, it wasn't my fault! I wasn't in my car, and I had to listen to his opening comments about Mo's upcoming interview, so I listened (Shows how much I love this place :)). He also said that he heard from a "top level, high ranking Laker official" that they believe they won't get PJ. But that's coming from Monty, so take from it what you want....
-------------------------------------------
All right, most of you know the drill, if you don't then too bad! ;) Or if you have any questions about this interview, just ask

Monty: How are your feelings coming off this season...what are your thoughts now that you have 1 yr. under your belt?

Mo: Well, actually this is my 4th year Pro and my 2nd year in the NBA. Having finally completed a season where I felt like I got to contribute I feel like I have a whole lot of positive things I can build upon for next season. I've already started working out, so I'm still excited about basketball. I'm looking forward to getting better and bring a lot of things to my game from next season

Monty: Does it bother very much that the guys on Turner were saying the rookie Maurice Evans and clearly you are anything but a typical Rookie in the fact that you played in Minnesota, you have a prolific overseas games and I think that conception was, you were a rookie....

Mo: I didn't bother me so much. I just think that students--you know that they perfected capabilities, you know a little bit more knowledgeable because I think it shows the things they should know. They should know players that have played in this league and things that they are up to. I didn't just fall off the face of the earth, I did go to Europe and continue to progressively get better. I was an All-star over there, my game is actually a lot better. If a player is ever to go to Europe, I think I did it at the right time. I did it early in my career where I could go over instead of sitting at the end of someone's bench and not get to play and not get better. I went over to Europe, and I played two consecutive years at a high level. Especially last year, the best league in Europe and I got better. I played every night and I was able to get better. That's why I was able to come back and contribute something to the Kings this year

Monty: Do you see yourself coming back next season (with the Kings)?

Mo: Its definitely going to be a busy offseason and no one really knows what the list of priorities are. I'd like to think I'm one of them and I hope so because I really did enjoy playing for the Kings. I love our fans and the environment that we have in Sacramento and we just have a lot of potential to do a lot of special things in the future.

Monty: Have you pondered much the convo about PJ coaching the team and RA being gone...

Mo: No, I really haven't. Its hard to say. Coach has a year left on his contract and it wouldn't be right for me to speak upon his contract...who's knows what's going to happen. I don't think its all coach's fault that we lost in the 1st round or anything like that, We did accomplish some things, we did win 50 games in the Western Conference...That's pretty much the bench mark of you have achieved something

Monty: Tell me about that Sea series, you did not get the min....Clearly you wanted more min

Mo: Definitely. I'm not one to make a lot of waves, I just try and work hard. But at some point....[inaduibile] to contribute something. I did feel like I worked hard throughout the season and getting better and I was really ready to help our team in any way possible. I knew that I could go out there and take Ray Allen.... That (game 5) was my first time guarding him all series. So think for example had I gotten to play a consecutive game against him things could have been a lot different.

Monty: Cuttino went out and you came in after he got hurt...Had he (RA) said why you weren't playing?

Mo: No, coach never said anything about why I wasn't playing. I think he just went with the guys he felt comfortable with. They guys who were vets, and who he had won with in the past....I think maybe the experience factor, but I don't think you can gain experience if you don't play...

Monty: Is it going to be enough to bring you back (at your old salary)....

Mo: I'm not so much even concerned about figures right now. Its just about the situation of playing time and about a place where I can go and continue to get better. Its about someone investing in me for the long term... [edited out talk about his durability etc] I'm durable and everyone wants to get compensated at some point

Monty: You are one of the most humble guys...how are you able to remain so humble and not complain about you PT?

Mo: Well I thank you the compliment first of all. Second, I think that I've been grounded because I been fortunate to be around people who are a lot like myself. Kevin Garnett being one of my better friends, a guy like that being so talented, so blessed financial and talent wise to be a humble hard working type of guy like he is, I try to surround myself with guys like that. Like Chaucey Billups who is another great friend of mine....[edited out talk about Billups]. Its a privilege to play in the league...

Monty: Obviously the Chris Webber trade was a watershed moment this season...Chris was a big supporter of you ... how did that affect you and how did that affect the team?

Mo: Well first of all I was a big fan of Chris Webber's as well. Regardless of the fact that people question his durability--people question a lot of things about his game, whether of not he can be the same player, if he can make the same impact--I felt like we lost leadership when Chris left, and when Doug left. Both of those guys brought leadership and they brought a lot of the identity of our team. The make-up of our team, with Vlade gone, with Chris gone, with Doug gone, those were three guys who concerned themselves with the organization as far as playing-wise. Losing guys like that, its tough, makes it tough.

On the PHX-DAL game last night: Very exciting game. Michael Finley really stepped up and carried those guys...[more talk about the game and Jordan shoes and some strap]

On Sea chances on winning at home: I don't think so. I think SA is really playing well right now...they play team D and play together on O.

Is B. Bowen a dirty player or is his just a gritting player: I think he's a very very intelligent player. He knows how to play guys, he knows how to get under their skin. Its takes a smart guy and a student of the game to know how to defend guys in this league. Guys are too good to just say I'm just going to stop them with effort...He finds way to immobilize guys and take things away from them, get in their heads. At the end you've got to tip your hat off to a guy who can go out and do that...

Dirty is going out there to intentionally hurt someone. Throwing elbows...

On the INDY-DET series: Jamal Tinsley has made a huge difference...

Would you welcome/want to play with Ron Artest?

Mo: Again, those aren't' decision that I would make.....I don't know, I think it goes back to what I talked about with privilege to be able to play in this league. I think some people abuse that. I think he's abused that time and time again. He's shown a lot of immaturity to be a player who's been in the L so long. You've got to take those things into consideration, about character issues. I'm not trying to say negative things about the guy, I'm just speaking on his actions of the past.

::shudders::

Ugh, now excuse me while I go wash my ears.

Last edited:
F

Fillmoe

Mo is gonna be a good player in the future..... thanks for taking time to post this reina

Last edited by a moderator:
ReinadelosReys said:
Really good interview-covers a lot of topics. Its from tonight's.....ugh, I don't even want to say his name or mention his show. I feel so dirty for listening...but forgive me, it wasn't my fault! I wasn't in my car, and I had to listen to his opening comments about Mo's upcoming interview, so I listened (Shows how much I love this place :)). He also said that he heard from a "top level, high ranking Laker official" that they believe they won't get PJ. But that's coming from Monty, so take from it what you want....
::shudders::

Ugh, now excuse me while I go wash my ears.

Thank you Reina for torturing yourself for all of our benefit. I tried but I just couldnt listen to the Moron. I had to turn off the radio after the Monarchs game.

Love MO

How can you not love this guy? I really hope the Kings get him locked up for a few years. I think they'll be really happy with his game and his maturity level. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Rockmeister said:
I guess she's going to do the transcript of Mo's interview when she gets time. (I think)
...sigh...

I knew that much, Rock. I was confused because I had no idea WHAT interview, as in TNT or KHTK, etc., that she was referring to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good stuff from Mo.

I am really, really impressed with him and his attitudes about our team. I hope he is brought back - I certainly wouldn't want us to have to face him with his friends Garnett and Billups.

I also like his comments about losing the leadership of the team, etc. This guy is a good one and I'm glad Petrie brought him here. I certainly hope he keeps him.

Thanks, Reina!

He could be a major part of the Kings future if they don't screw it up by not giving him enough $$ or PT. He's a good talent and a great athlete. I'd like to see him in a Kings uni for years to come.

when mo talks does it remind anyone else of Mike Tyson?

Love Mo. Would love to see him here next year in an expanded role. I think he does a lot of things this team needs.

Nice interview. I actually like Monty's show :) Although I hated him on the insiders.

Not sure if I am reading anything into it but some of the answers about RA didn't seem supportive or left a lot of room for speculation.

Maybe I am reading more into it then what was there.

when mo talks does it remind anyone else of Mike Tyson?
haha yes

Except Mo's words and actions are mature. It's just odd to read this transcript and think of the Tysony voice saying this. I like that he was ready to take on Allen for the whole series and wanted to do so.

BigWaxer said:
Nice interview. I actually like Monty's show :) Although I hated him on the insiders.

Not sure if I am reading anything into it but some of the answers about RA didn't seem supportive or left a lot of room for speculation.

Maybe I am reading more into it then what was there.
I agree. His comments are hardly an endoresement for RA. I would not expect him to gush about what a great idea it was for Adelman not to play him; but I don't see much confidence either: "I don't think its all coach's fault that we lost in the 1st round...." Yikes. Who else would you put on the blame list, Mr. Evans?

Actually, I've spoken to Mo in person and he had nothing but praise for Adelman. How great it was that he was getting a chance here, unlike other situations. How much he appreciated both the coach and the organization and loved it here etc.

I think you are reading a bit too much into it.

Kingsgurl said:
Actually, I've spoken to Mo in person and he had nothing but praise for Adelman. How great it was that he was getting a chance here, unlike other situations. How much he appreciated both the coach and the organization and loved it here etc.

I think you are reading a bit too much into it.
You spoke to him before or after the playoffs? Anyway, you are probably right. I certainly hope so.

Any motivated athlete hates to sit on a bench while the games are going on. Furthermore, most people would offer a rather jaunticed view of their coach after missing important games. That is the natural emotional response to massive disappointment.

Mo Evans is not a head-case. I am almost certain that he would love to play for Adelman and the Kings next year. I hope he does.

Sparky said:
I agree. His comments are hardly an endoresement for RA. I would not expect him to gush about what a great idea it was for Adelman not to play him; but I don't see much confidence either: "I don't think its all coach's fault that we lost in the 1st round...." Yikes. Who else would you put on the blame list, Mr. Evans?
Bingo! I was thinking the same thing.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
quick dog said:
Any motivated athlete hates to sit on a bench while the games are going on. Furthermore, most people would offer a rather jaunticed view of their coach after missing important games. That is the natural emotional response to massive disappointment.

Mo Evans is not a head-case. I am almost certain that he would love to play for Adelman and the Kings next year. I hope he does.
I think its one of those things that money being equal, he'll be back. But I do think that a guy in his position -- just trying to get established in the league, late bloomer, never had a major contract, will probably just about have to chase the money if somebody offers him significantly more and guarantees it for 3-4 years or something. Maybe his on and only chance to cash in, depending on how his career goes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you look at it a slightly different way, Mo could well have been countering those who are heaping blame on Adelman...

"I don't think it's all coach's fault that we lost in the first round (contrary to those who do).

Mo Evans is a class act. I can't imagine him using the Monty Show to take a dig at Rick Adelman. It's just not the type of thing he would do.

zeke04 said:
when mo talks does it remind anyone else of Mike Tyson? Love Mo. Would love to see him here next year in an expanded role. I think he does a lot of things this team needs.
I think Mo looks a lot like Mike Tyson. He is also intense, but a lot smarter. Too bad Rick Fox has retired. Maybe we could see if Mo can punch like Iron Mike.

Iron Mo Evans. I like it. It would be a little like the moniker of former heavyweight Scrap Iron Johnson.

I was in Vegas one time with my roomate and his girlfriend. She wasn't paying attention where she was going and bumped into a brick wall of a man. Lo and behold it was Tyson. He is one scary guy. Mo may sound like Tyson, but I don't think I'd be afraid of him.

And yes, I think we'd be idiots if we let him get away. I'd like to belive that even a little more money would keep him. After a season of losing some of our favorites, I think a lot of us were looking for new hope. I've found that in Mo and I think a lot of others have as well. Does he need more developing? Oh yeah, but I just hope that the Kings are the team to develop him. He's got a great personality for this system as well.