Michael Malone's Motion Offense

Kingster

Hall of Famer
http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2014/10/2/6888309/michael-malone-ball-movement

To my mind, this is the only prayer the Kings have of or reaching or exceeding .500 ball. I like Malone's intent. Now it's a question of whether that intent can translate into performance. It doesn't surprise me to read that "they don't know how to play basketball." But how much can they learn in a month, or even before the season's midpoint? Can Cousins get 5 assists without 4 turnovers? Will there be buy-in if there isn't immediate success?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree with your initial judgement on how the Kings can reach 5o0 basketball. And, it doesn't surprise me that many players have no idea of how to play the game the way it was played 20 or 30 years ago. I can remember watching Princeton, with five short white guys beat, or take down to the wire a far superior team. At least as far as talent goes. And they did it by playing smarter. They moved the ball, and they were constantly in motion without the ball. This is part of the reason I think Stauskas will win the starting job over McLemore.

Can Cousins get 5 assists without getting 4 turnovers? Good question, and I think it has as much to do with the players on the floor with Cousins as it does Cousins. There are easy passes, and there are passes that shouldn't be made. It's up to Cousins teammates to get into position for the easy pass. It's up to Cousins to recognize the difference. You can't get an assist if it's not there. And you shouldn't force the ball if it's not there. So I think it will be a learning process, and a familiarity process. I think the results will improve as the season goes on. You learn by your mistakes. Or as my skating instructor used to say, "If you not falling, your not learning."

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I agree with your initial judgement on how the Kings can reach 5o0 basketball. And, it doesn't surprise me that many players have no idea of how to play the game the way it was played 20 or 30 years ago. I can remember watching Princeton, with five short white guys beat, or take down to the wire a far superior team. At least as far as talent goes. And they did it by playing smarter. They moved the ball, and they were constantly in motion without the ball. This is part of the reason I think Stauskas will win the starting job over McLemore.

Can Cousins get 5 assists without getting 4 turnovers? Good question, and I think it has as much to do with the players on the floor with Cousins as it does Cousins. There are easy passes, and there are passes that shouldn't be made. It's up to Cousins teammates to get into position for the easy pass. It's up to Cousins to recognize the difference. You can't get an assist if it's not there. And you shouldn't force the ball if it's not there. So I think it will be a learning process, and a familiarity process. I think the results will improve as the season goes on. You learn by your mistakes. Or as my skating instructor used to say, "If you not falling, your not learning."
I thought that was the skydiving instructor. :p

I agree that Stauskas fits very well into a motion offense. On the other hand, I have questions about how well Gay fits into such an offense. His strength doesn't seem to be screening, cutting and passing, but instead is more iso-low post oriented. If you're just talking fit, Casspi looks to be better in a motion offense than Gay.

Motion offense means nik will start by January. He is the ideal SG for that offense elite shooter, good handles, and good passer with high IQ. Also Boogie fits this style of offense with his IQ, passing, and presence. It also helps that Collison isn't ball dominate the only area that can't cause trouble is Gay/PF. We need a PF who can shoot as well as pass and if Gay does buy in I see no problem there. He is a good cutter and can shoot mid range.

I really love Malone for this teams that move the ball wing rings it's just to hard to stop. It's why OKC hasn't won yet they have an ISO team. PDA job should be to find smart willing passers that aren't liability on defense.

Here are some spurs offense

Also when you see them breakdown the spurs defense you can see how it's all about team defense and knowing how to rotate.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Motion offense means nik will start by January. He is the ideal SG for that offense elite shooter, good handles, and good passer with high IQ. Also Boogie fits this style of offense with his IQ, passing, and presence. It also helps that Collison isn't ball dominate the only area that can't cause trouble is Gay/PF. We need a PF who can shoot as well as pass and if Gay does buy in I see no problem there. He is a good cutter and can shoot mid range.
That's not easy to find, especially the passing part.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Part of having a consistent offense is having the personnel together for long periods of time in order to learn it together and practice until they master it.

K

KingMilz

Part of having a consistent offense is having the personnel together for long periods of time in order to learn it together and practice until they master it.
I thought Josh McRoberts was very gettable, I would have used the money we spent on Collison on McRoberts had I known we were interested in Sessions as well who we got for dirt cheap. With McRoberts that would mean we didn't need Casspi either.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I thought Josh McRoberts was very gettable, I would have used the money we spent on Collison on McRoberts had I known we were interested in Sessions as well who we got for dirt cheap. With McRoberts that would mean we didn't need Casspi either.
McRoberts got way overpaid so he shouldn't of been an option with that price tag anyway. Casspi we really don't have a use for but at least it's a one year rental. Collison we have yet to see, I like his winning background so I'll give him a chance. Sessions is a journey man who has yet to find a consistent home, there's got to be a reason.

K

KingMilz

McRoberts got way overpaid so he shouldn't of been an option with that price tag anyway. Casspi we really don't have a use for but at least it's a one year rental. Collison we have yet to see, I like his winning background so I'll give him a chance. Sessions is a journey man who has yet to find a consistent home, there's got to be a reason.
5mil a season is overpaying?, he got the same deal as JT and he brings two skills most people don't have at his position. Collison is as much of a journey men (4 teams in 5 years) as Sessions if you look at both careers, playing on stacked teams will make anyone a winner.

I wouldn't mind going after Bass as reported earlier if they took Landry/DWill. He is a vet that plays team defense and in a motion offense he would be good with his deadly mid range.

K

KingMilz

I wouldn't mind going after Bass as reported earlier if they took Landry/DWill. He is a vet that plays team defense and in a motion offense he would be good with his deadly mid range.
I really think we could use D-Will (plus other pieces) if the Pacers want to move Hibbert, they need a guy who can maybe play SF next to PG when he's healthy and it would be a perfect situation where Williams could start for them this year to see what he can actually do finally.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bass is not a better player nor particularly a better fit than Landry however. And Landry already knows Malone. Just one of those grass isn't always greener things. Contract might be greener I suppose.

I thought you wanted a defensive dude next to Cuz? Don't get me wrong, I love McBoB's game, but he's a downgrade from everyone we already have in terms of defense and rebounding. The passing is fun, and the floor spacing would help a lot, but not sure if he's the right fit here.

K

KingMilz

I thought you wanted a defensive dude next to Cuz? Don't get me wrong, I love McBoB's game, but he's a downgrade from everyone we already have in terms of defense and rebounding. The passing is fun, and the floor spacing would help a lot, but not sure if he's the right fit here.
Well yeah but it seems like it's impossible for us to get one so the next best thing is a team first guy who can pass the ball and somewhat shoot. I just think Mcbob would be a guy you could put into any team and he would fit in sort of like a Diaw with way worse man to man defense. I was just making a reference cause one of the posters said we could use a good passing/shooting PF for this type of offense (I had no idea what offense we ran last year cause it was just three people jacking shots). He certainly would not be a bad guy to have on the squad. I think think teams lacks a lot more in passing than we do in rebounding and defense in general. Someone said Kyle O'Quinn in another thread and I think he would be excellent cause he can pass and block shots.