Memorial Day 2015

Hope everyone has nice Memorial Day with family and friends. But most importantly it should be a time for some reflection of the ultimate sacrifice of our fallen military hero's. After all this day is not about sales, barbeques, official start of summer, as much as what it stands for - one day set aside each year remembering all the men and women who died while serving. Nothing more, nothing less.

My father who passed away at age 80 in 2007 was US Air Force veteran 28 years plus prior to that Merchant Marine in WWII - joining at age 17. He could if wanted to wear his cap with designation, Veteran WWII, Korea War, Viet Nam War all displayed. He rarely did just because he was modest and mostly thought about others, not himself, not needing, wanting pat on the back for his military service. For sure he was thinking every Memorial Day of those buddies of his who never returned to their families, who gave the ultimate sacrifice so all of us could live in freedom.

Last edited:
Good thought and good reminder for us all. Yesterday and today we visit the graves to honor and remember our loved ones who have passed on. Yesterday we visited my sister's plot. She passed away in February at 80. Next to her were my parents, my grandparents, two uncles and an aunt, and a great aunt. They all are in one square plot. In surrounding similar squares are many more family members.

Today, 35 miles away from my family, we get together at 11am to visit the graves, many, of my wife's family, brother, parents, grandparents and many other family members. Yes, this is a day to visit old friends, old coots, a cranky old aunt, all friends and relatives, all gone. It's nice to remember, no matter what.