Matt Barnes Reportedly Attacks Derek Fisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Walt, what? So, in your version of this story, Derek Fisher is the bad guy?
He's kinda the bad guy in my version of the story, too. Isn't there a bro code or something? This is the same Derek Fisher who left the Lakers, had a brief stint with GSW, went to Utah and then begged out of that contract to go back to LA and used his daughter's eye condition as the excuse, right?

Sorry, but I think Fisher is scum.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
He's kinda the bad guy in my version of the story, too. Isn't there a bro code or something? This is the same Derek Fisher who left the Lakers, had a brief stint with GSW, went to Utah and then begged out of that contract to go back to LA and used his daughter's eye condition as the excuse, right?

Sorry, but I think Fisher is scum.
Scum for what? If we're just blanketing him with the 'scum' tag on the basis of his association with the gd lakers, then I don't understand why you can take Barnes' side, because that means he's tainted, too.

What do you mean by, "used his daughter's eye condition as the excuse"? Do you have any credible intel which suggests that he was lying about his daughter's condition? Because, if his daughter's condition was legit, then what difference does it make that he got out of his contract with Utah? He's not in the military: he's allowed to do that. I mean, what's the argument against it, that he could afford to commute? Miss me with that. If my son had an urgent medical condition, and I had the opportunity to leave my job, and take a comparable job that was closer to him (and, it should be pointed out, closer to his doctors), I would do it. And you would, too. And, if anybody had the balls to get in my face and say, "Well, why don't you just commute? You can afford it," they'd be lucky if the only thing I did was tell them to go **** themselves.

Secondly, it's called the "Bro Code," not the "Man Code." Matt Barnes and Derek Fisher are not bros. There damned sure isn't some unwritten rule about not stepping to some other dude's woman. As far as I know, Derek Fisher divorced his wife before he started kicking it with Gloria Govan, so he wasn't cheating. And, last I heard, Matt Barnes was, at the least, telling lies about kicking it with Rihanna, if not actually kicking it with Rihanna, while being separated from Gloria Govan, so it's not like he has the high ground, either.

So, tell me again why Derek Fisher is the bad guy in this story? If the report on MSN.com is to believed, Matt Barnes drove roughly 95 miles, from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles, to beat up Derek Fisher. Which means that he committed premeditated assault. But, Derek Fisher is the bad guy?

K

Kingsguy881

Walt, what? So, in your version of this story, Derek Fisher is the bad guy?
Yeah he is. Matt Barnes is a psycho, we all know that. Fisher especially knows it. Not only were they teammates, they actually hung out together as couples. You don't go and hook up with your ex teammates woman and keep it on the low to the point he finds out from his 6yr old about it. That's some sneaky backdoor underhanded backstabbing stuff. If I separated from my wife and one of my homies wanted to get at it, be a man and tell me face to face. Otherwise, you are a coward and deserve an ass whipping.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The entire problem with your post is that it's based on a false premise: that Derek Fisher and Matt Barnes were homies. There ain't no part of The Game that says that you can't step to a woman that's with some other dude.

The only way your point of view works is if you believe that Barnes and Fisher were boys. And I don't. Just because they were teammates doesn't mean they were boys. Even if they hung out as couples (cite, please?) as you claim, that still doesn't mean that they were boys; that could just mean that Fisher's ex and Barnes' ex were tight. I can testify from personal experience that sometimes two dudes that can't stand each other hang around each other all the time, because their wives are friends.

The entire problem with your post is that it's based on a false premise: that Derek Fisher and Matt Barnes were homies. There ain't no part of The Game that says that you can't step to a woman that's with some other dude.

The only way your point of view works is if you believe that Barnes and Fisher were boys. And I don't. Just because they were teammates doesn't mean they were boys. Even if they hung out as couples (cite, please?) as you claim, that still doesn't mean that they were boys; that could just mean that Fisher's ex and Barnes' ex were tight. I can testify from personal experience that sometimes two dudes that can't stand each other hang around each other all the time, because their wives are friends.
[Rob Fischer] Asked about relationship with Derek Fisher, Matt Barnes says, "we were friends. We were good friend at one point."

https://twitter.com/thefishnation/status/652151686182535169

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Right, because there's no chance that Barnes would exaggerate or outright lie to make himself look sympathetic/Fisher look bad. I mean, just ask Rihanna. Oh, wait...

And, I'm willing to bet that, if he is telling the truth about them once being friends (and, maybe it's just me, but I'm disinclined to give Matt Barnes the benefit of the doubt on jack ****), that something happened prior to Fisher kicking it with Gloria Govan that led Fisher to believe that they weren't friends any more.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That just makes me even more skeptical of Barnes: either he's lying about his relationship with Fisher, or he's lying about what his kid said. There's no way in the world, if he and Fisher were friends, that his son would have described him as "Mommy's friend Derek."

K

Kingsguy881

Look, if you're a man, then you act like a man. If you're a *****, then you act like a *****. I am in no way saying Barnes is right, nor justifying his actions. I'm just saying I can understand his side. No, Derek didn't 'need' Matt's approval. But he should have let him know, otherwise he makes himself look like a punk. And Derek Fisher has no problem making himself look like a punk.

K

Kingsguy881

Look, Fisher is basically stepping into 'step daddy' territory here. That's serious business. You don't sneak around on this. Especially if you are the head coach of the Knicks and somebody you went to war with. That's seriously like a soldier being at war with someone who went home early. And you were having problems with your wife, the mother of your kids. And that ****er went home and got with your possibly ex-but-not-yet-ex-wife. Annnnnnd in this corner....

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Look, if you're a man, then you act like a man. If you're a *****, then you act like a *****. I am in no way saying Barnes is right, nor justifying his actions. I'm just saying I can understand his side. No, Derek didn't 'need' Matt's approval. But he should have let him know, otherwise he makes himself look like a punk.
Let him know what? TTBOMK, nobody has accused Fisher of kicking it with Govan behind Barnes' back, not even Barnes. I'm not aware of any credible reports that he didn't already know, and who's to say that Fisher wasn't the one who told him?

If that article that @Hoovtrain posted is anything to go by, then Barnes was at his house, by his own admission. Which means that the house where Fisher and Govan were at is not "his" house. He might still be paying for it but, as someone who has been through a division of marital assets, I know from experience that that was no longer "his" house.

I guess it's all a matter of how each guy viewed their relationship. If they are good buds and Fisher did this then I can understand Barnes being pissed. But if not then Fisher doesn't owe Barnes squat. And seeing as how his ex and Fisher were not doing much to keep this a secret (party with multiple people, kids around , etc) I lean towards the latter .

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... That's seriously like a soldier being at war with someone who went home early. And you were having problems with your wife, the mother of your kids. And that ****er went home and got with your possibly ex-but-not-yet-ex-wife.
:rolleyes:

Am I going to have to pull the "veteran" card? I actually have shipmates that that's happened to; It's literally nothing like that.

K

Kingsguy881

My point is that Fisher should have acted with some class, tact, and maturity, while also being a stand up male. What is your stance bruh?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
My stance is that we do not agree on the standards for "class, tact, and maturity," in this context. I haven't read anything to indicate that Fisher hasn't acted with such, other than Barnes' own hurt feelings, and vague comments from him that have implied that Fisher was in the wrong. Except that I don't consider Barnes to be a credible narrator. I think that he's exaggerating how things played out, if not outright lying through his teeth, in order to make himself come across as sympathetic.

Like I said before, I think that believing that Derek Fisher is the "bad guy" in this requires you to believe Matt Barnes' version of the story. And I don't; I find Barnes to be totally untrustworthy, and not credible. I do not think that it is inherently a violation of any "unwritten rules" to date the ex of your former co-worker. I think that you're taking Barnes' word for it that his relationship with Fisher was much closer than I believe it actually was. By all accounts that I've heard or read, Fisher and Govan have been kicking it for some time, and that Barnes already knew about it. I've read nothing that gives me any reason to believe that any of this was going on behind his back. Barnes himself hasn't even made that accusation, TTBOMK.

Govan and Barnes are not together. Fisher filed for divorce in March. He's not cheating on his wife, and Govan is not cheating on her husband. Other than expressing some vaguely patriarchal notions of 'ownership,' you haven't really articulated why you think that Fisher has acted dishonorably in this matter.

EDIT - Since mods can post in locked threads, I didn't realize that it had been locked until after I posted my response. Since I don't know why the thread was locked in the first place, and there's nothing about it in the mod forum, I don't really see why it needs to remain locked. I trust that the conversation will continue to be at least as civil as it has, so far.

K

Kingsguy881

I am strictly going off reporting done by Ramona Sherbourne. I had read everything in her twitter feed and it was definitely all from Barnesy's side. I don't like Barnes and never will. And I do think this situation was handled incorrectly by him. However, the entire situation could have been avoided if Fisher acted like a man. I just think from the accounts that are public, Fisher sounds REAL bad. Real scum. Like a punk.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You keep saying "If Fisher acted like a man," but you haven't explained in any way what "acting like a man" means to @Kingsguy881, such that you feel like Fisher falls short of whatever standard that you're working from. I think it's pretty clear that you and I don't have the same working definition of "acting like a man." Now, I don't know about you, but I feel pretty secure in my masculinity, and I don't have any fear of anybody accusing me of not being "man enough." Nothing has been reported that suggests to me that Fisher has been anything less than a man, according to my standards for "manhood," so unless you're willing to articulate what "being a man" means to you, in this context, we're just going around in circles.

Regarding Ramona Shelburne's reporting... I like Ramona Shelburne; I think that she's a good reporter. I also think that, because she's had a working relationship with Matt Barnes, between covering him for the Clippers and lakers, that she may be disposed to giving him a level of benefit of the doubt, which I am not. It's not that I don't believe that she's accurately reporting what Barnes told her. I absolutely believe that she's reporting what Barnes told her. I just don't believe that what Barnes told her is actually the truth. I think that Barnes is a recidivist liar, and I don't believe a word that he says; if Barnes told me that the sky was blue, I would stick my head out the window, and see for myself.

I don't actually believe that Barnes and Fisher were ever friends. I think that it's far more likely that Barnes' ex-wife and Fisher's ex-wife were friends and, to whatever extent that they may have hung out at all, it was because their wives "made" them. I also don't believe that Fisher would agree with Barnes' assessment that they were ever "close friends," nor do I believe that Barnes' son would have referred to Fish as "Mommie's friend," if Barnes and Fisher were ever as close as Barnes claims they were. But, hell, if you're as big a psychopath* as Matt Barnes is, maybe, in your world, everybody you don't want to stab in the throat is a "close friend" to you.

I think that the only way the situation could actually have been avoided is if Fisher had recognized that Matt Barnes is going to be Matt Barnes, and steered clear of the crazy.

* Disclaimer: IANAD, 'psychopath' is not a professional diagnosis.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Tom Ziller's "Good Morning, It's Basketball!" newsletter of Friday, Oct. 9, 2015:

MORE ON BARNES VS. FISHER: Matt Barnes talked to the media about his fisticuffs with former teammate Derek Fisher, and it feels like he thinks he was totally justified to roll through his estranged wife's house and rough up her new boyfriend. What's worse, wide swaths of the fandom and the institution of basketball think that's okay too. IT'S NOT. Women are not property, and Matt Barnes has no right to legislate his soon-to-be-ex's love life via fists. Barnes has mentioned that his kids were there, and that's why he went to the house. If you don't like your kids being introduced to a new man while the divorce is pending -- a fair position -- you work it out in the custody arrangement, not in the makeshift boxing ring. If you were really trying to protect your kids then you have an absurd way of showing it. Exposing them to passionate, personal violence is not the answer. Remember here that Barnes has twice been arrested for domestic violence. If he arrived and told Fisher to leave, there's absolutely a reason for Fisher to stay: to protect Barnes' estranged wife. That's a damn sad state of affairs, but Barnes has proven he can't be trusted in the heat of the moment.

You're 35 years old, dude. Grow the hell up and stop torturing your family.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That looks pretty consistent with what Dwyer had to say, as well.

There's something disturbingly patriarchal in this whole notion of a man's ex being "out of bounds" to, basically any other man he's ever been in contact with, for reasons that essentially boil down to "dibs."

Status
Not open for further replies.