Malone's Statement

I didn't see this anywhere, and didn't want to bury it.

“Coaching in the NBA is an honor and a privilege, one I’ve never taken for granted. The valued relationships I’ve garnered over the last 17 months with the entire Kings ownership group, players, team personnel, and members of the press leave an indelible mark on me and my family. I want to thank Vivek Ranadive for the opportunity and wish the franchise good fortune moving forward. Though my time as Head Coach ended much sooner than anticipated, I am extremely proud of what we were able to accomplish during our time together. Anchored by a loyal and dedicated coaching staff, we worked hard to instill a culture of discipline, trust, and respect that progressed this team further than many expected in a short time. The development of our players, both on and off the court, has given me the most joy. Many of them have played the best basketball of their careers and I am happy to be a small part of that. Lastly, I’d be remiss if I didn’t express gratitude for the passionate fans who support Kings basketball every night. They welcomed me like family and lived up to their well established reputation as the best fans in the NBA.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article4623357.html#storylink=cpy

Based on his remarks it sounds like he was as shocked as the Kings fans were when he was fired

It's like Pete and/or Vivek called him in for a meeting and he thought they were going to compliment him on how well he's managed without Cousins out there and little did he know they said "YOU'RE FIRED!"

It's sad but it seems like he's too classy of a person for this classless management group.

wish him well. he's spot on when he says,

"we worked hard to instill a culture of discipline, trust, and respect that progressed this team further than many expected in a short time. "

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
To be honest, our FO doesn't deserve to work with such class.

Malone will hopefully land on his feet and move on to bigger and better things. The NBA isn't foolish, around the league plenty have noticed what he was able to do with the roster he was given this year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Based on his remarks it sounds like he was as shocked as the Kings fans were when he was fired

It's like Pete and/or Vivek called him in for a meeting and he thought they were going to compliment him on how well he's managed without Cousins out there and little did he know they said "YOU'RE FIRED!"

It's sad but it seems like he's too classy of a person for this classless management group.
That's not exactly true. The conflicts between Malone and the front office have been brewing since the summer (based on a pretty wide variety of things that have been said recently). If anything, Malone most likely saw the handwriting on the wall before anyone else - he just didn't expect it to happen on a Sunday night.

G

GQ_Gabriel

Not to put too fine a point on it or anything, but those statements are generally written by agents to ensure their client doesn't say anything that might have a negative impact on future employment.
This. Good point.

I love how he threw in the comments about the team playing above expectations and that some of the players were playing the best basketball of their career.

since reports cited "not meeting win expectations" and "player development" for his firing

this still sucks

I started to feel bad for him the realized he has a guaranteed contract through next season that will net him like $8mil total when all is said and done. Still think he got a raw deal though.

I love how he threw in the comments about the team playing above expectations and that some of the players were playing the best basketball of their career.

since reports cited "not meeting win expectations" and "player development" for his firing

this still sucks
It was classy, but it was also a tad snarky.

I'm going to miss him.

Makes me sad to read this and see him go. It's just so ridiculous that he got shafted like this. I really was excited about the possibility of him growing with our franchise for many years to come. Now it's on to the Tyrone Corbin/Chris Mullin era.....SIGH.

Very Classy.

I think he knew that the FO was breathing down his neck. They probably kept asking him to do these crazy 4 on 5 defense schemes and he probably kept laughing them off, hoping it would go away.

Unfortunately, for him, the FO has the final say in all matters and they let him go now, to see if they can find someone to run their crazy schemes.

Malone will land on feet soon. Will probably be a lead assistant somewhere for a while, and hopefully get his second shot at head coach.

Best of Luck Coach.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Malone is a great man...he values loyalty and trust. Something that can't be said about our front office...patience is a virtue. I wish nothing but the best for Malone down the road and I am confident that he will be a head coach again somewhere.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That's not exactly true. The conflicts between Malone and the front office have been brewing since the summer (based on a pretty wide variety of things that have been said recently). If anything, Malone most likely saw the handwriting on the wall before anyone else - he just didn't expect it to happen on a Sunday night.
As best I know, this is true. It ruins the "Malone is a great guy who got screwed" group-think though.

I certainly wish we had kept him. He had the team following him and that's a big plus. Oh, and then there is that winning thing.