Malone article in The Denver Post

http://blogs.denverpost.com/nuggets/2015/06/17/michael-malone-pete-dalessandro-nuggets-kings/12979/

“You would be surprised how many messages I got when they hired Pete here, paraphrasing: ‘Ah, coach that sucks. I really hoped you were going to get the Denver job, but that’s not going to happen now,'” Malone said. “People don’t realize, Pete and I never had any problems.”

“Pete and I have always respected each other, have always gotten along,” Malone said. “It was just that sometimes, the environment that we were working in was not conducive to a healthy relationship.”

I saw this over on Hoops Hype. I can't help wonder what really went on. I guess we just hope that the problems have been corrected and a new course is set. I just don't understand how the story's can be so different from what we have heard here. I guess we will see how the Malone PDA combo works out in the long run on another team.

I like Vlade and Karl. we have a good pick. Hope springs eternal.

This is just testament to how classy Malone is. He won't allow the past to tarnish what he can build in the future.
Really, what else can he say? "I hated his guts and I can't believe I have to work with him again"?

Only a fool would talk about a past relationship, no matter what the truth is, when it is the present relationship once again.

Really, what else can he say? "I hated his guts and I can't believe I have to work with him again"?

Only a fool would talk about a past relationship, no matter what the truth is, when it is the present relationship once again.
Well it's one thing to downplay the conflict. It's another to cast aspersions about the working environment here etc.

Edit: Unless he is referring to the fan base or forum posters as part of the working environment... Then I could see his point LOL.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to Vivek. He is a problem guys, lets just hope he has learned his lessons. Meddling owner who had the ear of a bunch of voices and makes rash decisions without reason or logic.

J

jdbraver

I think he's referring to Vivek. He is a problem guys, lets just hope he has learned his lessons. Meddling owner who had the ear of a bunch of voices and makes rash decisions without reason or logic.
Stay tuned to the Draft and offseason...hopefully Vivek lets Vlade have control of the war room and media moments No more Staukas,Staukas......

Malone is a classy guy and a smart guy, definitely said the right things. We know the truth, there are too many sources to count. Malone and D'Alessandro didn't get along, didn't even speak for months. D'Alessandro fired him because he wanted his own guy in that spot, probably Mullin. They didn't get along and they don't get along now, I doubt they will work together at all in Denver. Ranadive has made mistakes including signing off on firing Malone, not his idea, but he did go along with it. All indications right now is that Ranadive has been very hands off since bringing Karl and Divac in.

Trying to read between the lines

D’Alessandro seconded Malone’s comments.

"It’s been good to kind of have him back here and we’ve really enjoyed our time together so far.”

Kind of have him back here? So far?

Malone "There needs to be some disagreement, there needs to be some challenging of each other. Obviously, most importantly when we leave that room we’re a united front."

I think it may be far from paradise over there.

Malone is a classy guy and a smart guy, definitely said the right things. We know the truth, there are too many sources to count. Malone and D'Alessandro didn't get along, didn't even speak for months. D'Alessandro fired him because he wanted his own guy in that spot, probably Mullin. They didn't get along and they don't get along now, I doubt they will work together at all in Denver. Ranadive has made mistakes including signing off on firing Malone, not his idea, but he did go along with it. All indications right now is that Ranadive has been very hands off since bringing Karl and Divac in.
I think it's more about Vivek pushing Pete to put Mullin in as head coach where Pete was overpowered in the end. End of the day Mullin can't stomach pushing a good coach out the door just so his biggest fan cough* Vivek cough* can see him coach his franchise. So Mullin leaves as well. Vivek finds lost and humbled and called the big guy (Vlade) to take over things. Vlade arranged a good exit for Pete (waits until he settles in Denver) and now Pete and Malone are settling in Denver and luring our big beast to come over.

That folks is what me and Mullin just talked over a glass of beer in St. John canteen. :)
But keep this as a secret. :)

gunks

Hall of Famer
I agree with those saying that Malone is just keeping it classy.

I also agree with those saying Vivek is a chode owner (paraphrased).

I agree with those saying that Malone is just keeping it classy.

I also agree with those saying Vivek is a chode owner (paraphrased).
My hope is that Ranadive was an owner making poor decisions, not is.

James Ham did an interview with Carmichael Dave last week and was saying that he had spent a lot time recently with the team while working out draft prospects and that his observations and conversations with people around the team indicated that Ranadive has really changed since all of these things have happened. He was really emphatic that we need to believe this, forgive, and move on, we all make mistakes and have the right for a second chance. Now I don't know if Ham in the past has been in Ranadive's corner, if so maybe he exaggerates, hopefully not.

Bottom line, I'm not happy with how things have gone down, but we are where we are now and if Ranadive has truly changed then I'm willing to move on.

Remember PDA on the Carmichael Dave show? It was so defensive and so contrived that I consider it quite possible that PDA was following Vivek marching orders all along. That is not implausible - that Vivek ordered Pete to fire Malone, and pete considered it his job to "own it". And if indeed that is the case, then my attitude toward Pete has been too harsh. Makes him a bit of a weenie - but after all he was a rookie gm. Weenie is not as bad as Satan.

Seriously if it was all Pete - I dunno, it would have been easier for Vivek to just overrule him. But the whole big PR machine went all in on firing Malone and so I'm starting to lean toward the "Patsy Pete" version of things.

Bygones now - Vivek growing pains and my hat is off to him for losing PDA, Mully, and Leslie - and just basically hitting the reset button on everything. And yes i know lesliempr did not make basketball decisions but she was part of the obnoxious regime

gunks

Hall of Famer

James Ham did an interview with Carmichael Dave last week and was saying that he had spent a lot time recently with the team while working out draft prospects and that his observations and conversations with people around the team indicated that Ranadive has really changed since all of these things have happened. He was really emphatic that we need to believe this, forgive, and move on, we all make mistakes and have the right for a second chance. Now I don't know if Ham in the past has been in Ranadive's corner, if so maybe he exaggerates, hopefully not.

Bottom line, I'm not happy with how things have gone down, but we are where we are now and if Ranadive has truly changed then I'm willing to move on.
Well....

I have read a bunch of articles with Vivek quotes that leave room for optimism. He knows last season was a huge clusterfart, and that he was the main culprit. But he was also saying he wants to continue being "Chief Irritant".

Now, maybe Vivek just wants to voice his opinion, but there is no longer any expectation that his word is law, and he no longer will make any rash decisions....

Who knows.

There is room for optimism though. But I'll believe it when I see it. Next season should be very interesting.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
There's not a cell in my body which believes the weasel didn't help campaign for Malone's firing. Far too much smoke there.

There's also far too much smoke suggesting Vivek created and oversaw a toxic environment last year. So, I'd say of this holds true:

1) PDA, Mullin as well, put their own asses above the team and campaigned for Malone's firing. It's not like that flight to Vegas didn't happen.

2) Vivek was incredibly meddlesome and created a poor working environment

3) Malone remains the classiest guy who's walked through our doors in years and again is setting a good example by saying the right things with a clean slate and doing what he can to leave the Sac drama in Sac, where it belongs from his perspective.

4) A weasel is still a weasel, as the Cuz/Den trade leak suggests

Trying to read between the lines

D’Alessandro seconded Malone’s comments.

"It’s been good to kind of have him back here and we’ve really enjoyed our time together so far.”

Kind of have him back here? So far?

Malone "There needs to be some disagreement, there needs to be some challenging of each other. Obviously, most importantly when we leave that room we’re a united front."

I think it may be far from paradise over there.
Those statements remind me of what you'd hear about Harbaugh and Trent Baalke's relationship in SF. In other words its not good.

Bloggers do not have inside sources. If so, when was the last time a blogger actually broke real inside news? Press releases does not count. Go ahead. I'll wait.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I totally agree with pretty much everything you've said.

There seem to be indications that Vivek has, indeed, learned something from what's gone on. And, at least with me, hope springs eternal. I agree with Ham that we need to give Vivek a second chance.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Bloggers do not have inside sources. If so, when was the last time a blogger actually broke real inside news? Press releases does not count. Go ahead. I'll wait.
You've been quite clear about your personal beef with Ham, but I'd say it's clouding your opinion. Ham, if he has access to the practice facility and is around the team, talks to people involved, which I believe he does, then he's going to have insight the average fan wouldn't.

Doesn't mean it's correct, doesn't mean bias doesn't come into play. If the standard is to have a contract to write for the Bee to have valid insight into the Kings, even if you're around the team, I'd say that's a poor standard and the Bee as it is, offers very little and is in the pocket of the Kings PR department. Voison is all over the place with her articles. When Amick, Bruski and CD acknowledge many of the same issues Ham has, there's a clear pattern those have noticed who've been around the team. Breaking inside news is a different topic, Ham is just giving his opinion on what he's personally witnessed.

As for bloggers not having inside sources, STR is a blog and has a working relationship with Jerry Reynolds.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You've been quite clear about your personal beef with Ham, but I'd say it's clouding your opinion. Ham, if he has access to the practice facility and is around the team, talks to people involved, which I believe he does, then he's going to have insight the average fan wouldn't.

Doesn't mean it's correct, doesn't mean bias doesn't come into play.
Damn straight it doesn't mean it's correct. I'm actually kind of surprised at how Kings fans in general took the infamous "Ham Podcast" at face value. There are some serious factual problems with Ham's story in that podcast that somehow have never been questioned to my knowledge.

Let's ignore the slander about Mbah a Moute faking injury. Let's ignore the odd narrative that PDA would make his case to Vivek that the Kings should be coached by CORBIN when his plan allegedly all along was to hire KARL. (Really, wouldn't he just have argued that Karl was available and better? Wouldn't that make more sense?)

Instead let's focus on two huge factual faults in that podcast.

One of the major allegations against PDA in Ham's podcast was that he delayed signing Casspi until later in the summer in order to give him a sub-minimum pro-rated contract. Hey, that's a terrible allegation...but it's just plain not correct, and anybody who goes to the length to actually read the CBA would know better. Are minimum salary contracts pro-rated? Yes. When do minimum salary contracts begin pro-rating? The first day of the regular season (late October, typically). When did Casspi sign? September 18th. Here's where Ham either screwed up or (more likely, in my opinion) got bad info fed to him: there was a trick to Casspi's situation. The CBA has an increasing scale for minimum contracts based on service time. In order to prevent teams from shunning veteran players (on minimum contracts) in favor of cheaper young players (on minimum contracts) the CBA provides that for vets on a one-year minimum deal, the difference between the 2-year vet min and the player's actual min will be paid by the league and not count against the salary cap. But this only applies to one-year deals. Casspi signed a 2-year minimum deal (second year unguaranteed) with Houston a year before we signed him - this contract was NOT covered by the above provision. Houston waived Casspi, and the Kings (or any other team) could have claimed him. We did not. Instead, PDA allowed him to pass through waivers and subsequently signed him to the same (minimum) contract that he would have had otherwise. Except in this case, the NBA picked up several hundred thousand dollars of the contract by rule of the CBA. Did PDA save money? Yes. Did Casspi lose money? No, the difference was covered by the league, and there was no pro-rating. In direct contrast to Ham's claim which he used to denigrate PDA.

Second, while I don't believe he ever directly said it, Ham strongly implied that instead of getting Malone PG help when IT went down with injury in March 2014, PDA instead brought up the useless Royce White on a 10-day contract. Of course, he's got the dates wrong. Royce White's 10-day contract began on 3/19. Thomas didn't miss a game until 3/26, and when White's 10-day contract ran out on 3/28, we went out and immediately signed Jared Cunningham to back up McCallum. Was Cunningham great? No. But the pickings are pretty darn slim in late March, and at least he gave McCallum some rest minutes.

And of course, facts be damned, let's not ignore that Ham devoted a full 90 minute podcast to the idea that PDA spent basically his entire time in Sacramento trying to screw Malone. Less than a month later, both PDA and Malone accept jobs with the same franchise? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Let's not treat James Ham as if he's an incontrovertible source. He can't even get his simple facts straight. And the fundamental thrust of his "groundbreaking" 90-minute podcast is completely obliterated by the fact that shortly thereafter the two allegedly "warring" parties decided to go work together again for a different franchise. That entire podcast was "sound and fury, signifying nothing". Was our front office dysfunctional? Hell, yes. Was it the result of PDA being a comic-book supervillain, out to destroy Malone and the Kings for no particular good reason as Ham's narrative required? Super, super-doubtful. There would appear to be a lot of blame to go around with PDA and Vivek and elsewhere (and yes, we can only hope that with Vlade on board everything will be copacetic from here on out).

So does Mike have a personal beef with Ham? Hell yes he does, and coming from somebody who knows the situation, for very good reason. Does Mike's personal beef mean that his criticisms of Ham are invalid? Not a bit. Ham's podcast was factually shoddy at best (see above) and the newfound good relationship (or at the very least hatchet-burying) between PDA and Malone in Denver puts a stake right through the heart of his argument. So Ham has access to the practice facility. Whoopee. Congratulations. He subjected us to 90 minutes of crap, which wasn't a month old before it became obviously ridiculous regardless (and given the factual problems, should have been even before that).

Forgive the rant, but I think it's worthwhile (if a bit late) to point out the serious problems with the Ham podcast. I know it reinforced the "PDA Bad" point of view that most Kings fans were inclined to accept at face value but if it's that hard to make it line up factually with the bits that we know about, then maybe Mike's objections to Ham's reporting aren't to be so easily dismissed as just a "beef". It doesn't all add up. Maybe it did before Malone and PDA both took jobs in Denver, but now it plain doesn't.