Malik King-in-Arabic Monk

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Lol, that's literally every 6 MOY award ever. Basically everyone who wins it gets starter minutes
So over the last 15 years (I'm just not going to go back farther than that because the answer has become super obvious) the average MPG for a 6MOY has been 29.9, and the lowest has been 25.2 (highest, 33.7). Monk is at 25.4 MPG right now, so he would barely clear the lowest playing time for a 6MOY over the past 15 years.

gunks

Hall of Famer
The worst thing is a one year I think he can only get the standard raise, if we go early-Bird on him we can give him something like 17.5 million but it has to be two years with no option year.
Got it, thanks for clarifying. I think I just read the one year thing online somewhere as a way to get him more money due to CBA/Cap stuff that I am not at all well versed in!

One common thread in all discussions about retaining Monk seems to be "hopefully he just loves playing in Sac with Fox enough to take a big pay cut". Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence haha

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So over the last 15 years (I'm just not going to go back farther than that because the answer has become super obvious) the average MPG for a 6MOY has been 29.9, and the lowest has been 25.2 (highest, 33.7). Monk is at 25.4 MPG right now, so he would barely clear the lowest playing time for a 6MOY over the past 15 years.
I was under the impression that Monk was on the lower end of that spectrum, he had an exceptional night last night because Kevin has stunk and Duarte got two quick fouls.

I would venture a guess though that previous winners have the same role - good enough to start, but better served as being the bridge between a partial starting rotation and playing 5 non starters.

I wonder how many different lineups Monk is featured heavily in vs. how many different lineups Fox/Domas regularly get minutes with.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Got it, thanks for clarifying. I think I just read the one year thing online somewhere as a way to get him more money due to CBA/Cap stuff that I am not at all well versed in!

One common thread in all discussions about retaining Monk seems to be "hopefully he just loves playing in Sac with Fox enough to take a big pay cut". Doesn't exactly fill one with confidence haha
One has to assume that if he's willing to defer a year or two he will get a big payday with a third contract that will makeup for lost pay before. But that requires faith that he doesn't get hurt or Monte doesn't get a godfather offer to trade him.

Mr. Monk had a whopping big wrap on his right knee in the past two games. Most of the season, he has had what look like padded leg-warmers on, which seem to help him keep loose while sitting on the bench for long stretches. Not this time. Anyone know what's going on? He took very few shots the past two games, although that may have been a coincidence.

I don't know how reliable those "global ratings" are but according to them Monk is 2nd at the moment in the 6th man of the year race. According to bookies though Westbrook is unlikely to win it (he is 8th favorite with 35 odds, Portis even lower with 100) even his teammate Powell has lower odds, as the 3rd favorite.
The favorite is Tim Hardaway Jr with Monk being second and Clarkson, Levert, Bogie and Mathurin after them.