Malachi Richardson

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He's the real deal. Ice water in his veins. He's got that "lean and hungry" look. I said it in the other thread, but you need to watch the replay. I guarantee you'll be happy you did.

And Willie earned his paycheck tonight, too. :)
This is what a good rookie looks like (ice water) as compared to Young Ben.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He's looked more like an actual NBA player in his 3 games of real action than McBen has looked in all 5 of his years combined.
Absolutely. Even in his first few minutes whenever that was, he looked confident. I seem to remember darn near a consensus on this forum that if we got a rotation player, it was a successful draft. It shifted fairly quickly to wanting Vlade fired. I think people were crossing their fingers on a relatively mature fella from Europe and that was it. Maybe we have two rotation player with Bogdanovic (sp?) and Skal and Big Pappa can sit on the deep bench and we'll see how they turn out in a few years. I don't count on the two big guys but we have them on cheap contracts and are in no hurry to have them mature (or not).

Patience, folks, patience. That goes for WCS also.

Richardson needs more PT. The rookie shots with confidence. I said this in the gamethread, he might actually be one of those college players with a much more suitable game for the NBA. I don't know about the long 2s though..but as long as they go in.

He reminds me of Nick Young a lot.

It's been a while since we had
a decent M-Rich in Sactown! :D

And don't worry - I only mean the initials. (for now)

Seriously.
No comparisons whatsoever
in the next couple of seasons.

I have to give my co-worker some props...he's a huge college basketball junkie and ex-college player...I asked him about a year ago who the Kings should be looking at in the draft and he said Malachi. I thought his numbers were underwhelming at Cuse but I guess this is an example of the eye test still being important.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Really the most amazing thing about Malachi is that he is possibly the only former Cuse player to play better defense once outside the Jim Boeheim "nothing but zone" Orange system.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I wanted to point out that in the other thread where it said we had some mediocre signings with our FA's this Summer, Garret Temple's value goes way beyond the on court production. His mentoring of Malachi Richardson and the other young guys is huge. It goes beyond the stat lines and that is why when people not familiar with Sac, like the national media, when they are critical of the roster, they don't see what Temple brings. Hes a huge part,of the culture change and his pupil, Malachi, is starting to flourish.

Richardson needs more PT. The rookie shots with confidence. I said this in the gamethread, he might actually be one of those college players with a much more suitable game for the NBA. I don't know about the long 2s though..but as long as they go in.

He reminds me of Nick Young a lot.
Is it the hair?

Is it the hair?
lol no.

I meant to say younger Nick Young. Young was a better shooter overall, but their game styles are kinda similar. Both are shot creators who use little jabs and dribble moves to free themselves up. Young excelled from the mid-range, and he often settled for that shot a lot. Young's confidence is sky-high, and he takes every shot knowing he's going to make it regardless of how he's playing. That's the same demeanor Richardson plays with. Both are shot creators who love to take the mid range. Both were about the same size coming into the NBA, I think Young was slightly bigger. Young is more athletic than Richardson, but neither really use it much in their game.

They just have really really close playing styles.

He needs to assert himself some more which will come with time but he was being frozen out a bit and overlooked on a few open shots with the bench crew plus after he hit a couple you could see he was drawing extra attention (helped get toliver open for some bricks). I want to see him with the starters where theres more attention around Cuz giving Malichi some driving lanes, eventually I think he has point guard potential. His shot has perfect form almost a Dame Lillard type stroke. Plus he gives us something we have not had since Mike Bibby, a guard who can shoot off the bounce and is a triple threat out of the pick and roll.

K

KingsFan80

Unlike Papa, I am really excited about Malachi. What a breathe of fresh air last night to see a young rookie play so well. Very excited to watch him progress