[Game] Magic @ Kings - 1/10/14 - 7 p.m. PST

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KingsFans.com Official Game Thread
Game 34
Sacramento Kings versus Orlando Magic Miami Heat
By Stephen Tetsu, the Sixth Beatle

Another game against one of the league's top teams, another “shocking” victory. Facing off with one of the league’s surprisingly elite teams, our plucky Sacramento Kings pulled off another win. At this point I’m not sure if we’re playing up to the level of the competition or if we’re just playing down to the level of all the bad teams that we lose to.

For three quarters against the Blazers we looked like our old non-defense-playing selves but for one starling quarter we looked like we actually realized it's alright to stop the other team from scoring. That third quarter of the Blazers game was a thing of beauty, twelve whole minutes of boxing out, closing out on the perimeter, rotating onto the man, denying easy post access for the other team's big men, and general defensive hustle. For a brief moment, you got just a glimpse of how Mike Malone intended the team to look. Then the fourth quarter happened and things got crazy.

Featuring a score greater than that of many high school basketball game, the last quarter of the game seemed to last the duration of an entire regular game of basketball. While it seemed as if the Kings were poised to pull away from the Blazers early, an ill-timed whistle from the refs ended Rudy Gay's night early and ignited the fire under Damian Lilliard's behind.

In an Isaiah Thomas-esque performance of epic proportions (Dear Grant and Jerry, there are other guys on the Kings besides the Hustling Huskie or the Pizza Guy or whatever else you want to call him), Lillard quite simply caught fire and entered complete and total hero ball mode, totally disregarding his teammates for the sake of chucking up pull up three pointers from three feet behind the arc. The sad thing is that his gambit nearly worked as we reverted back to our stupid ways to close out the game.

Seriously, a team dropping forty points on you in a single quarter is not a good thing, no matter how you spin it. Damian Lillard scored more points in that single quarter than his entire team did in the third. With any sort of production from anyone not named Lillard in the last six minutes, not only would the Blazers have dropped a clean fifty on us, they'd have won the game.

But a win's a win and, at the end of the night, a barnburner counts as much as an ugly slugfest.

Observations

• I don't know what the Blazers did to pee him off but Demarcus absolutely has their number. He's dropped thirty points on them every time we've met this season. Sure the Blazers interior defense may have improved but it's still futile when it comes to slowing down DFC.
  • Marcus Thornton got the surprise start against the Blazers and Malone has since confirmed that it's a permanent move, which means he'll be starting until Pete finds a team willing to take on his contract in exchange for someone with a pulse.
  • In other news, I thought Ben McLemore looked better coming off the bench against the Blazers although the numbers won't really show it. His defense looked less shaky though that may have been a product of him playing against Portland's underwhelmingly meh bench. He also successfully drove to the hoop for the first time as a Sacramento King. Progress.
  • Aaron Gray and Quincy Acy are role players who know their roles and genuinely seem to be happy in them. These are the sort of players we've been missing for the greater part of a decade.
  • IT showed some real effort on the defensive side of the ball for the first three quarters of the game. On the offensive end, he was a little more passive than what we're accustomed to, which I thought was actually an improvement. There is a time and place for hero ball and, for most of the night, I thought IT played his part well.

Other Media Coverage
Newcomer Quincy Acy giving Kings plenty of support (SacBee)
Demarcus Cousins moves up one spot in All-Star voting (SacBee)
Magic send Vucevic home (Pinstriped Post)

The View From the Other Side (Blazers Edition)
A random assortment of comments by Blazers fans during the game as retrieved from BlazersEdge.com. (Presented in Chronological order.)

5:34- Not one comment in the Preview thread about this being a trap game? Admiral Akbar doesn’t know what to do with himself.
6:06 -Time for the Blazers to open up the paint to Rudy Gay. If the Blazers let Rudy think he can take over and get him to resort to his ball-hogging ways then the Blazers can get back on track with a road win before playing worse teams at home.
7:11 Woah. The Kings sideline reporter is miiiighty fine.
7:15 Cousins is a knucklehead but he is a damn good baller
7:27 Good to see that Sacramento is at least mostly filling up their court. Not a Kings fan, but I am glad that they managed to avoid having to move.
7:39 Aldridge is getting MVP chants on the road, whoda thunk it
7:43 So, we didn't play too well, and the Kings played pretty good defense But yet we still take an 11 point lead after 1. I kinda like this team.
7:44 I think the Kings' player meeting-induced defensive intensity has waned and we’re going to steadily blow them out and at the end of the game there will be another classic Mike Malone rant.
7:47 Man the crowd at this game looks like an Addams Family lookalike convention
7:50 Seems like these other teams' benches are full of nobodies, too. How come their nobodies are always better?
8:00 THats why I cant love Meyers##Trob 4 Life##
8:01 If this quarter were a sitcom, it would be one of those awful cringe comedies.
8:03 It's nice having the two best players in the game. We should do that more often.
8:07 I'm starting to think Lillard can't be a great all around point guard. He almost never gets 10 assists in a game. Starting to look like Lin out there with the turnovers. Bad turnovers too. Just stupid passes.
8:08 The Kings are just good. I have no problem with this being a dog fight. With Horford out the Kings would be right there for third in the east.
8:08 Why does this team always make Cousins look like the second coming of Kevin Garnett. He's a good player but not a superstar.

8:09 Didn't the graphic earlier show he's averaging almost exactly the same Pts/Rebs as LMA?
8:12 Talented player. Also a perfect storm of qualities that make it tough for RoLo to defend: quickness, strength, and an outside shot.
8:14 R. Gay needs to grow his sideburns. It looks like he's wearing a helmet.
8:19 And that is why Rudy Gay is bad. He's all offense. He doesn't play smart. I certain the Kings are going to trade him eventually. I don’t think he stays there for more than this season.
8:34 I know I bashed Cousins earlier but looking at the numbers I think he's an all-star this year. PER of 27 this far into the season is damn impressive.

8:38 He has hall of fame talent and a hall o' fame body too. If he can stop just being a (really good) one way player, he’d be the best center by far.
8:41 We oughta change the name of this team to the Portland OMGs
8:44 Lillard, just gun it
8:50 LMA almost tipped it in for the Kings. Can we get both hands on a rebound, please?
8:53 plz play t rob he can at least get rebounds
8:56 The Kings are playing at a high level. Cousins is a borderline allstar. Gay and Thomas are good. Thompson is solid. Williams and Acy are ok off the bench plus they are at home getting an entire quarter of make up calls.
9:02 ABANDON ALL HOPE!!!
9:02 I noticed when other teams run P&R against us their guards get open shots or their screen setter gets a pass. We usually get neither. They hedge and Dame has to make a bad pass. If they don’t get to Dame he hasn’t been getting a shot off.
9:03 Derrick Williams seems to have forgotten that he sucks
9:04 Its over. Please don't let this be a blowout
9:06 This is sad. Then we have that tough road trip coming.. Something is def up.. Time for a players only meeting
9:07 Ever since trob has been benched, we have been on a downfall.
9:09 these announcers trying to be cute with the lame rudy gay names
9:12 LMA misses again And Throbb called for a foul on the rebound. And Gay lays it in. Too easy. Blazers down by 18 to the Kings. Ok, I’m shutting this off so I can go barf in the woods.
9:14 seriously just let damian chuck everytime
9:18 as much as i love rolo he can’t check cousins at all, put LA on him he’s faster. He’s dropped like 30 on rolo everytime
9:18 DamnArcus Cousins
9:21 Somebody tell The Blazers We’re playing The Freaking Kings111
9:26 Cousins is unstoppable . Wesley is losing his mojo
9:26 Wow, Gay is fouled out already Anyone want to keep complaining about the refs?
9:27 lol, stupid kings fans chanting refs you suck in a game where they have got every call the entire game.
9:29 Its to bad Lillard can't run a fast break. I don’t think I have seen an NBA point guard as bad a running a 2-1 or 1-1 fast break as Lillard. It makes no sense.
9:32 stupid Pizza Guys.
9:32 here comes the patented blazers push gotta make it not look like we played like trash
9:38 It's so funny the Kings shilling Shaq stuff I mean, I understand the ownership thing, but he caused that franchise so much heartbreak in the early 00’s
9:41 How the heck do we still have a mathematical chance at winning this game
9:42 D-Fence! 82 points in this quarter so far. If flag football had a basketball equivalent, this would be it.
9:43 Game over- We Win.
9:46 If we win this game I don’t know what to think. Definitely wouldn’t be deserved, except by the Lillard 4th quarter effort.
9:48 If we played the entire game the way we do 4th Quarters when we are behind, we would score like a gazillion.
9:51 LOLOL The Kings are doing everything possible to give this game away except for turn back the clock
9:53 Enjoy the win Sacramento, that's the highlight of your season!

Awards Time
T-Rob Award for Excellence in Being Thomas Robinson - Thomas Robinson
Having been demoted from third big to guy handing Gatorade to the third big, T-Rob entered the gem for the Blazers when things were looking dire and looked just like the out-of-control deer in the headlights that we were used to last year. In his three and a half minutes of action, T-Rob put up a stellar line of 1 offensive rebound and three fouls. It can't get much more T-Robby than that.

Tony Delk Memorial Award - Damian Lillard
Yes, Lillard is good but that's still no excuse for him dropping 25 points in a single quarter. While the rest of his night leaves much to be desired (Check out that assist to turnover ratio), that 25 point fourth quarter actually kinda gave me flashbacks of the night Tony Delk went video game mode on us.

Tonight's Game

Uh oh. Here comes a "trap game". Sure we can keep up with the big boys but when the little guy comes around we crumble like a dry cake. According to Demarcus, the team is going to come into the game with the mindset that they're facing off against the Thunder. Unfortunately, these guys are not Durant and crew but rather a collection of young dudes and role players assembled for the purpose of acquiring Wiggins/Parker/Embiid/Randle.

Things get even easier with the recent injury to Nik Vucevic, Orlando's good young big man out of USC. Without him, the Magic have resorted to small ball, starting Glen Davis at center and rolling with Afflalo, Oladipo, and Nelson as the triple backcourt. With Glen Davis not exactly known for his defensive presence, Demarcus could be in for another big night, though, considering the rapid rate of his development, that's pretty much just a foregone conclusion now. The other active big men on the Orlando Magic roster? Youthful bench big Andrew Nicholson, tweener Tobias Harris, undersized effort man Jason Maxiell, 6'10" 240-lb center Kyle O'Quinn, and perennial roster fodder Solomon Jones. In other words, there's nobody on that roster even capable of slowing Cuz down.

Out on the wings, KingsFans.com arbitrary-fantasy-trade favorite Aaron Afflalo is having his best scoring year as the go-to man for the Magic, though the fact that he is being asked to score 20 points a game is probably indicative of the general lack of talent on the Magic roster. The dual point guard tandem of Jameer Nelson and Victor Oladipo is nice if only for the defensive potential of Oladipo who, while still undoubtedly raw, is probably the runner up for rookie of the year. At this point in his career and the development of the Magic team, Nelson is relatively useless, a role player without a star to riff off of. (Fun fact: Jameer Nelson was once an all-star)

While none of these wings is really good enough to cause most teams an intolerable amount of trouble, our Paris as the Nazis were invading defense means that we're probably going to let Nelson score thirty points tonight, which should be fun.

The key is to pretend they're the Heat. I'd like to see us demolish a bad team for once rather than get our butts kicked by a team without any real big dog. Please let that be today.

Prediction and Closure
I can't predict these bad games anymore. Going off of our track record, I think we'll lose 104-89 but maybe the Kings will surprise me and win a game against a lesser opponent for once.

GO KINGS!

Last edited:
I'm going to be there and root like heck for our young men. Hope they can beat the psychological disadvantage they have created for themselves. I think they will. I expect to see a good game and a Kings victory.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm going to be there and root like heck for our young men. Hope they can beat the psychological disadvantage they have created for themselves. I think they will. I expect to see a good game and a Kings victory.
Demarcus said they're gonna look at "Orlando" and see "Oklahoma City"... :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Vucevic being sent home is big news for us. Cuz was completely gassed in their first meeting of the year on a 4th game in 5 nights. Didn't have his legs at all. but even so Vucevic showed himself as a big strong kid able to push and shove with Cuz. Take him out of the equation and they'll have to try to thug him with O'Quinn, who will be lucky to last 20min before fouling out. And then resort to the short wide stubs in Maxiel and Big Baby. If Cuz just keeps his head, doesn't collect silly reach fouls, he's set up to...well pretty much do what he's doing to everybody right now.

It will be nice to beat up on Pacers at home tonight before facing them again in four days back in Indianapolis during start of long Eastern road trip.

Thanks T for always great pre-game launch.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
That team pseudo play by play was very interesting. I enjoyed the shift in opinion about DFC as it progressed. Maybe some day there will be a shift in feeling about Rudy. Rudy has not been the same guy that played for Toronto and does not have the same role. In some senses, his scoring is not crucial as we can always go to DFC or AI and I can imagine a relaxation in his mind set. His scoring certainly supports what I am saying. Of course we need his scoring but his efficiency so far has been outrageously good. Is he smooth or what?

Love the Pizza Guy comment.

My faith in DFC is getting out of hand. There was a small series of two plays that indicate what I mean. He missed a straight on set shot/mini jumper. He came down the court again and took the same shot and I knew he wasn't going to miss - he didn't. It seems like we all expect an awful lot of him and I hope we don't forget how great he is.

The next draft is not crucial and anything we will get is the topping on the wonderful ice cream concoction. I share jalfa's attitude in that I no longer root for a loss and will hold off on the tank comments but just the same, a loss isn't the end of the world. They HAVE to play hard and they HAVE to swing around to what Malone wishes. This is the goal. If we do that, we will win at a higher rate. We got a great one in Malone who is having some rookie pains but, if he wasn't a rookie, we might not find any of his faults as being those of a rookie but maybe as just an approach different than ours.

Can a 270 pounder really play 43 minutes and still be productive without needing CPR? Wow!!

Feed the beast tonight.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
5:34- Not one comment in the Preview thread about this being a trap game? Admiral Akbar doesn’t know what to do with himself.
That is a great line!

9:53 Enjoy the win Sacramento, that's the highlight of your season!
Somebody must not have told him we beat Miami a couple of weeks ago?

Strong post, Tetsu-san. Can't get behind Lillard for TDM, though.

i hope we see more of Rudy and D-Will playing together. the team is just better when D-Will is more involved and not just getting limited minutes off the bench and taking like 3 or 4 shots per game

dude12

Hall of Famer
Free Ray
Last time we played them, their PG did not go off for a career night so here's looking for IT to dominate that matchup completely
Afflalo took Ben in the post in previous game....this could be a good matchup for the Rudy Gay at SG lineup
I expect a win tonight

i hope we see more of Rudy and D-Will playing together. the team is just better when D-Will is more involved and not just getting limited minutes off the bench and taking like 3 or 4 shots per game
It's hard to get time for him out there. Acy is taking up minutes at the 4, and largely earning them. McLemore is going to get development minutes at the very least. That leaves 12 to 16 minutes at the 3 behind Gay. Unfortunately, he's caught in a log jam again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I suspect we may be seeing more of Gay and DWill in the 2 and 3 slots when needs and opportunity arise. McLemore isn't ready for prime time; he isn't ready for a lot of the matchups he's facing. I'd rather see his minutes limited.

It's hard to get time for him out there. Acy is taking up minutes at the 4, and largely earning them. McLemore is going to get development minutes at the very least. That leaves 12 to 16 minutes at the 3 behind Gay. Unfortunately, he's caught in a log jam again.
I think we need to use the Gay at SG/D-Will at SF lineup more often, maybe even as a starting lineup, with Ben as the backup SG, which leaves Thornton as the odd man out. which is completely fine and he has earned it

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we need to use the Gay at SG/D-Will at SF lineup more often, maybe even as a starting lineup, with Ben as the backup SG, which leaves Thornton as the odd man out. which is completely fine and he has earned it
Once again, I don't understand the fascination with the starting lineup. It's not about who starts; it's about who's out there when we need them to be. If Thornton starts, it doesn't mean he's going to get the majority of minutes.

^while i do agree with that notion. the reason i suggested it as a starting lineup is because i know Malone wants Ben coming off the bench and i think Thornton should be completely out of the rotation, which leaves the only solution to have Gay start at the SG

I think Gay's ability to play SG will be very team specific as there are quicker, penetrating guards he simply wouldn't be able to handle. Put him next to a defensively challenged IT and DWill and we'd have problems that would outweigh the benefits.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Once again, I don't understand the fascination with the starting lineup. It's not about who starts; it's about who's out there when we need them to be. If Thornton starts, it doesn't mean he's going to get the majority of minutes.
I think it doesn't matter as much when you're a top team and have a quality starting lineup. When you're a poor team with an iffy starting lineup, I think it most certainly does matter who starts as you want your best players on the floor as much as possible.

There was quite a difference between what our "big" lineup was able to do out there compared to our other lineups. So why would you want to limit that? If our other lineups competed and produced at a higher level then yes, I'd agree it doesn't matter all that much. However when most of our combinations don't produce at a high level I have no idea why you'd limit one which actually does. Much more goes into winning than the last 6 mins.

The, "it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes" applies more to a team like the Spurs where there's not as much fluctuation in production across lineups. When there is, and there certainly is on our 10 win team, I don't see how that rule applies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think Gay's ability to play SG will be very team specific as there are quicker, penetrating guards he simply wouldn't be able to handle. Put him next to a defensively challenged IT and DWill and we'd have problems that would outweigh the benefits.
This game is a handy example I think. Gay should be able to match with Afflalo without too much problem. But if they bring in Oladipo at SG rather than PG, bad matchup.

Given how pathetic our SG position is, Gay can definitely help in spurts. But he's not and never has been a fulltime SG, and unfortunately the..."things" we throw out there claiming to be SGs probably have more problems with quick guys who can get to the hoop than they do with the sorts of power SGs Gay can help with.

In the West Gay should be a fine matchup with:
Klay
Matthews
Hayward
Green
Allen
Sefalosha
Reddick (maybe)
Laker SG of the week (maybe)

But not so great a matchup on:
Bledsoe (if he gets back)
Foye
Ellis
Gordon/Reke (although with Reke, might as well given how bad our SGs got whipped)
Martin
Harden

On the last coupe of guys in particular you have to worry about wasting your #2 weapon's energy and fouls on floppers. Better to waste a roleplayer slowing those guys. Unfortunately we don't have any capable of doing it.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

I actually think the Kings will win this one barring DMC stays out of foul trouble. If DMC is in foul trouble then I say we lose by a couple points. Playing at home and coming off a big defensive effort again Portland will give these guys confidence going forward. Only thing I'd like to see is IT putting a little more effort on defense and passing rather than scoring. Otherwise, everyone played very well and fluid in the last game so can't complain :)

K

KingMilz

As long as we are playing 5 on 5 for extended periods we should be fine against the Magic if we are playing 4 on 6 often will be a tough game like all the other games we have lost.

I do think this is a perfect game to start D-Will and Gay cause AA loves to post up and fade away good luck with that against Rudy and Tobias Harris is a beefy SF who likes to overpower other SF's and D-Will is quicker and very strong for a SF.