Looking Ahead to Next Season...

The more I see McCallum play, the more it pushes me into thinking Vonleh is our guy in this year’s draft. If we draft Vonleh and retain Gay and Thomas, I think we’re in good shape to start competing this year. This is what our rotation would look like going into next season:

Rotation:
PG - McCallum (18 min)/Thomas (30 min)/Veteran Minimum PG (0 min)
SG - McLemore (30 min)/McCallum (12 min)/Gay (6 min)/Terry (0 min)
SF - Gay (29 min)/Williams (19 min)/Outlaw (0 min)
PF - Vonleh (24 min)/Thompson (10 min)/Evans (10 min)/Williams (4 min)/Landry (0 min)/Acy (0 min)
C - Cousins (35 min)/Thompson (13 min)/Veteran Minimum C (0 min)

9 Man Minute Distribution:
Cousins - 35 mpg
Gay - 35 mpg
Thomas - 30 mpg
McLemore - 30 mpg
McCallum - 30 mpg
Vonleh - 24 mpg
Thompson - 23 mpg
Williams - 23 mpg
Evans - 10 mpg

I don't know about you guys, but I'm perfectly fine going into next season with that team. You give Cousins, Thomas, McLemore, McCallum, and Williams another offseason to develop, and who knows? We might be looking pretty strong next year. Also the fact that our core will have a training camp together will go a long ways (versus last year when we ended up changing half of the roster mid-season). I think if we keep this core going forward, we'll see a much more disciplined team that plays as a cohesive unit.

My Take on Next Year’s Starters
McCallum

I can see McCallum being that "run the offense first" PG that we need at the starting spot. I like that he's unselfish, knows his role, and tries to feed the guys that need to be fed. His ability to stretch the floor makes him very enticing as well. He's almost exactly what we need out of our PG. Unselfish, role-player, good decision making, good defense, good shooter, and good passer. I think he can improve on seeing the floor a little bit better, but I think the more time he gets on the floor, the more the game will slow down for him.

McLemore
McLemore needs to earn his paycheck this offseason. He's known as a gym rat, so now is the perfect time to do it. What we need out of McLemore next year is the ability to hit spot up three point shots, defend at an average level, improve ball security and handling, and bulk up. When I type it out, it seems like a lot of things he has to improve on, but for some reason I have a lot of faith in McLemore reaching those goals. I'm not too worried about his shot. With Chris Jent on staff, it should help him be more successful with it next season. Bulking up and adding strength shouldn't be too hard. Hit the gym youngin! Ball handling and defense are the two biggest question marks for me. We've seen improvement in his ball handling this year, but I would like to continue to see that improvement to get him to a respectable level. As for defense, he needs to be working a lot on this with Malone. Also being in the film room and being a good student would bode very well for him on the defensive side.

Gay
I think Gay would continue seeing success playing next to Cousins. He looks to be a great second option who can feed off of the attention Cousins demands and, at times, relieve Cousins' duties. I don't see him getting much better offensively or defensively (he'll be 28 soon), but what he can improve is his mindset and the way he approaches the game. He needs to be more about team basketball and less about putting up numbers. This can be said for almost everyone on the team, but Gay worries me a little more. I don't want him reverting to any bad habits that he might have picked up in Toronto.

Vonleh
As all rookies are, Vonleh will be a bit of a question mark. He's a terrific rebounder and defender which I think will carry over to the NBA. Most rookies struggle with the size and strength of NBA players when coming into the league. However, Vonleh is already built like an NBA player. He's 6'10" with a 7'4" wingspan and weighs 240 lbs. That's excellent size at PF. His jump shot is also very good. He hit 48.5% from three this season. All we'll be asking him to do is be a glue guy. Defend, block shots, rebound, hustle, and knock down open jumpers. There's no need to over complicate his role at this time.

Cousins
Cousins has showed improvement in every season, and I expect him to continue to improve next season. What's critical for him to take this team where it needs to go lies in between his ears. He needs to continue to improve on reigning in his emotions, and he also needs to give off positive energy towards his teammates. Too many times does he put on a face, throw up his arms, or shake his head when his teammates make a mistake. He needs to change that if he wants to lead this team. Again, I'm not worried about him becoming a better player next year because he most undoubtedly will. I'm going to be focusing on if he becomes a better teammate and leader. That will affect his team's play all by itself.

My Take on Next Year’s Core Bench Players
Thomas

Finally, Thomas is reverted back into the role he was meant to play. By retaining Thomas, we maintain having three efficient scorers on this team. By having one of them come off the bench, it balances our roster and assures us that we’ll always have at least one (and for most of the game at least 2) scoring threats out on the floor. I’m not sure I have anything in particular for Thomas to work on this offseason since reverting him back to a sixth man will take care of a lot of his bad tendencies. I will say that he needs to be on board with unselfish basketball and making the team better.

Williams
Williams maintains his spot as Gay’s backup. Williams is a solid guy to have on your bench. He is a bit of a spark plug in that he can make some pretty spectacular plays and swing momentum. That’s definitely a valuable asset to have. He’s not as good of a scorer as Thomas is, but Williams is another guy that can be relied upon in the second unit to get some points. We need him to really improve on his three point shooting this offseason. If he is able to turn that into a consistent weapon, he’ll be a lot more valuable in our rotation and in a trade if we choose to do so.

Thompson
A lot of people around here aren’t too big of fans of Thompson. I happen to see the value he brings. Is he a little overpaid? Yes. I think 4-5 mil is what he would get on the open market, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that he is a very, very solid third big. He’ll be in charge of doing the dirty work (along with Evans), but I like Thompson more than Evans due to his size, athleticism, post defense, and jump shooting. With the two main bigs next to Cousins being Vonleh and Thompson, you’ll have two guys who are helping to spread the floor. Being in the second unit, I would encourage him to work on his post offense to give us an adequate option down low in the second unit. One of his major drawbacks is his BBIQ. I would want him in the film room not only watching other players, but watching himself (very intently I might add).

Outlook
I’m excited for next season! I hope our team works hard this offseason and impresses us come next season. Landry immediately stands out as the black hole who is sucking our money away, but hey, there are better fitting players that I would rather give minutes to so tough luck. I would be thrilled if PDA was able to trade him for 2015 expirings (maybe a vet PG and vet C?).

I think this team would be ready to compete next year. Hopefully there are no major setbacks. Go Kings!

I'd be interested in seeing what this starting group could do:

IT
Sefolosha
Gay
Cauley-Stein
Cousins

There are a lot of things right about that group. I like McCallum and McLemore off the bench, not starting. It would be tricky financially but doable with a new reasonable contracts for Gay/IT and stretch provision for Terry.

PF - Vonleh (24 min)/Thompson (10 min)/Evans (10 min)/Williams (4 min)/Landry (0 min)/Acy (0 min)

thats a flustercluck of players. someone's gonna be moved. i'd say williams since he's an expiring. he'd fit well in the phoenix offense where its free flowing and can utilize his athleticism. he'd also thrive in d'antoni's run and gun offense.
landry is a smh signing as i still don't know how he fits into the overall vision. thats 3 Forwards that are 6'7 or so.

thompson is still useful as a backup C/F

PF Evans / Vonleh
C Cuz / Thompson

evans should probably start and allow vonleh to come along slowly to be developed and acclimated.

Next season if Gay, Thomas (6th man), and Cousins are all back, I could possibly see the team at .500. If McLemore can improve his defense and pull up the percentage on his 3-ball, I see possibly 3 games over .500 and at least a .500 team. If the Kings strike gold with the draft or bring in a key role player I could see a definite 8th seed playoff team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree that there are good reasons to be optimistic about the Kings going into next year.

I'm not sold on McCallum as the future starting PG, mainly because he hasn't shown a real ability to run the offense. In fact the Kings offense has looked pretty stagnant the last few games. But perhaps a full offseason would give Ray the chance to be a better floor general.

I am a big proponent of IT as the team's sixth man. However, being that he's a restricted free agent the Kings may be looking at potentially matching offers in the $7-9 million range if there is a team that sees him as their starting PG of the future. At $6 million per season or less I'd gladly bring IT back. Beyond that point? Hard to pay that kind of money for a bench player not named Ginobili.

I also like Vonleh. He does a lot of what we want next to Cousins. That said, he's not really a high level interior defender. He has the size and length but he's not really an athletic, quick jump guy. If the Kings get lucky with ping pong balls then I'd be all in with Embiid but if they stay at #7 (or get bumped to #8) I think you have to hope Vonleh is there. If he isn't (and guys like Exum and Parker don't slide) you are looking at guys who I don't like on the Kings (Smart, Randle, Gordon), guys I am unsure on (Ennis, Harris, Capela) guys I really like but don't see as difference makers (McDermott, Staukas, Anderson, Saric) or reaching for a guy who is potentially a great fit next to Cousins but has limited upside like Cauley-Stein. If the Kings are at #7 and Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, Exum and Vonleh are gone I'd hope the team would either trade out of the first round completely or trade back and pick up another useful piece.

I like Cauley-Stein, Elfrid Payton, Shabazz Napier and the potential of Zach LaVine if the Kings moved to the second half of the first round.

I don't understand why Kings fans are down on Thompson. Other than his whining to the refs I don't see much to dislike. Role playing big who has continued to improve as a post defender and who can start or spell at both the PF and C spots. That's a great piece to have.

I fully expect Cousins to raise his game again and be amazing next season. McLemore is a guy that I certainly hope comes around but I'm not counting on it.

And to me Williams, Terry and Outlaw (and to a lesser extent Evans and Acy assuming his option is picked up) are guys whose main value is likely going to be that they have ending contracts to throw into deals.

One thing is for certain, this is a HUGE offseason for PDA and the Kings. Bungling it likely means a few more years as a lottery team. Getting it right could very well mean competing for a playoff spot next season. I'm choosing to be optimistic.

IT
Sefolosha
Gay
Cauley-Stein
Cousins

There are a lot of things right about that group. I like McCallum and McLemore off the bench, not starting. It would be tricky financially but doable with a new reasonable contracts for Gay/IT and stretch provision for Terry.
I'm not a fan of starting Cousins, Gay, and Thomas. Thomas should be coming off the bench to help improve the team.

thats a flustercluck of players. someone's gonna be moved. i'd say williams since he's an expiring. he'd fit well in the phoenix offense where its free flowing and can utilize his athleticism. he'd also thrive in d'antoni's run and gun offense.
landry is a smh signing as i still don't know how he fits into the overall vision. thats 3 Forwards that are 6'7 or so.

thompson is still useful as a backup C/F

PF Evans / Vonleh
C Cuz / Thompson

evans should probably start and allow vonleh to come along slowly to be developed and acclimated.
I agree. We do have a lot of players who can play PF. I'm really hoping we are able to move Landry. The signing didn't make sense at the time, and it still doesn't.

I agree that Vonleh should be brought along slowly to begin with. However, I'm not sure I want Evans starting. I would rather have Thompson start with Cousins as I think he is the better fitting player, but since Malone has opted for Evans over Thompson, your scenario is much more likely.

1. Vonleh is just a bunch of tools at the moment: only translatable offensive play he has at the moment is his shot, and he has slow release, so he will need some work to make it effective and even then it's not a given, because our very own Derrick Williams had even more impressive shooting numbers in college and hasn't exactly set the league on fire. Turning to the other end of the floor Vonleh will need extensive work on his team defense. In short anyone, who expects more than 20 minutes full of mistakes from him as a rookie, let alone starting on a team fighting for POs, will be disappointed.
2. Unless 2 of Ray/Ben/Derrick find reliable shot, Kings will be starving for spacing, and in Western Conference that means immediate death.
3. Perimeter defense still a major issue as only Ray at PG is an above average defender.
4. Interior defense stayed the same.

I would agree that there are good reasons to be optimistic about the Kings going into next year.

I'm not sold on McCallum as the future starting PG, mainly because he hasn't shown a real ability to run the offense. In fact the Kings offense has looked pretty stagnant the last few games. But perhaps a full offseason would give Ray the chance to be a better floor general.
I'm not sold on him either, but for the sake of pushing Thomas back into the role he should be playing and to give a young PG a chance at becoming that PG of the future, I would have him starting right out of the gate.

I am a big proponent of IT as the team's sixth man. However, being that he's a restricted free agent the Kings may be looking at potentially matching offers in the $7-9 million range if there is a team that sees him as their starting PG of the future. At $6 million per season or less I'd gladly bring IT back. Beyond that point? Hard to pay that kind of money for a bench player not named Ginobili.
It's hard to speculate how much money Thomas is going to demand. Personally, I don't see him getting a deal in that $7-9 million range, but I could very well be wrong. I think anything below $6 mil and I would bring him back with the intention of keeping him on the roster. I still might be inclined to match a greater offer, but look to move that contract in the near future.

I also like Vonleh. He does a lot of what we want next to Cousins. That said, he's not really a high level interior defender. He has the size and length but he's not really an athletic, quick jump guy. If the Kings get lucky with ping pong balls then I'd be all in with Embiid but if they stay at #7 (or get bumped to #8) I think you have to hope Vonleh is there. If he isn't (and guys like Exum and Parker don't slide) you are looking at guys who I don't like on the Kings (Smart, Randle, Gordon), guys I am unsure on (Ennis, Harris, Capela) guys I really like but don't see as difference makers (McDermott, Staukas, Anderson, Saric) or reaching for a guy who is potentially a great fit next to Cousins but has limited upside like Cauley-Stein. If the Kings are at #7 and Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, Exum and Vonleh are gone I'd hope the team would either trade out of the first round completely or trade back and pick up another useful piece.

I like Cauley-Stein, Elfrid Payton, Shabazz Napier and the potential of Zach LaVine if the Kings moved to the second half of the first round.
I agree about Vonleh. I don't ever see him being an Ibaka or D. Jordan type, but I do see him in a similar way as I see Taj Gibson. I would say the difference between the two is that Gibson has more athleticism and Vonleh has more size and length. Gibson isn't an elite rim protector, but he does block shots at a good rate. I can see Vonleh doing the same thing. With Cousins progression on that side of the ball, we could potentially have two big men in the lineup that average above 1.5 BPG. I think that would be pretty good rim protection going forward.

IT is going to get 6-8M/year after the year he had. If the plan is to pay that for a backup, it'd be better to just let him walk.
Wow, that's a very factual statement. I find it interesting that there have been reports of a GM saying he wouldn't give him more than the MLE.

If he's getting paid starters money, I don't want him on this team in the long run.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

IT
Sefolosha
Gay
Cauley-Stein
Cousins

That is about as good as you could build it if you were going to have Cousins/Gay/IT all out there. But my question is even if you got that exact lineup, how far could it realistically go? And that's with you getting the perfect pieces in. Then when you have to settle for less perfect alternatives...well how good are you then?

Nonetheless, I think that's about the best you can do.

Wow, that's a very factual statement. I find it interesting that there have been reports of a GM saying he wouldn't give him more than the MLE.

If he's getting paid starters money, I don't want him on this team in the long run.
I'm sure there is a GM that wouldn't pay more than the 5M/year. I'm also pretty sure at least one GM will.

I'm not a huge IT fan and I was hoping we would trade him for Rondo at the deadline, but I think you are kidding yourself if you think this guy is going to get backup PG money (5M or less):
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg

Not many teams have both cap space and in need of a starting PG, whose main strength is scoring (there's also a few teams that have both, but are at a point of their roster construction, where they don't need win-now pieces).

1. Vonleh is just a bunch of tools at the moment: only translatable offensive play he has at the moment is his shot
Do we need Vonleh to do anything other than space the floor and get putbacks on offense? I don't think so. We're not drafting him for his offense. We need guys who can play defense.

and he has slow release, so he will need some work to make it effective and even then it's not a given, because our very own Derrick Williams had even more impressive shooting numbers in college and hasn't exactly set the league on fire.
I'm aware that his release is slow, but that doesn't worry me that much. Do you know why? Because he is a PF. Big men are left with a lot of wide open shots where the speed of the shot doesn't come into play, and the fact that he can step out to the three point line and knock them down will give him even more time to shoot if his man collapses into the paint.

Turning to the other end of the floor Vonleh will need extensive work on his team defense. In short anyone, who expects more than 20 minutes full of mistakes from him as a rookie, let alone starting on a team fighting for POs, will be disappointed.
He's a hard working kid and we have a hard working, defensive minded coach. I'm not too worried how he's going to translate on the defensive side of the ball. His post defense is already good, and considering he already has an NBA body, I don't see that changing much when he gets to the bigs.

2. Unless 2 of Ray/Ben/Derrick find reliable shot, Kings will be starving for spacing, and in Western Conference that means immediate death.
Well McCallum and McLemore are supposed to be good shooters. I have faith that they'll be knocking them down with more consistency next year. That would give us 5 players in the starting rotation who can knock down jumpers. Spacing would be much improved.

3. Perimeter defense still a major issue as only Ray at PG is an above average defender.
It seems you don't like to account for any chance of player development. In a sense, you're right. We had a bad perimeter defense last year and we didn't add any new perimeter defenders. Therefore our perimeter defense is still a major issue. But as our young players continue to develop and as Malone has more time to work with them, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the progress that is made.

4. Interior defense stayed the same.
Same thing here. Cousins has been progressing quite nicely on this side of the ball. I actually think he does a good job at rotating and defending in the post. His pick and roll defense could get better, but progress is progress. On top of that, Cousins has been blocking a lot more shots this season. He's not elite by any means, but he's turned himself into a respectable shotblocker. Then we add Vonleh who has good size, length, athleticism, and he can block shots and defend the post. But yeah I guess our interior defense wouldn't improve. As I mentioned earlier, I can see both Cousins and Vonleh being 1.5+ BPG type players. That's solid rim protection.

I'm sure there is a GM that wouldn't pay more than the 5M/year. I'm also pretty sure at least one GM will.

I'm not a huge IT fan and I was hoping we would trade him for Rondo at the deadline, but I think you are kidding yourself if you think this guy is going to get backup PG money (5M or less):
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg
Similar to what Gilles just said. This offseason, there is not much demand out there for a starting PG with the talents Thomas has.

Personally, I'd rather go with Julius Randle over Vonleh, especially if Randle is available at our position in the draft. I think Randle's gonna be a beast in this league. Vonleh, to be honest with you, will probably be known more for his defense than his offense. Randle, I think, has the potential to develop nicely both as a defender and a shooter/play-maker.

I find it interesting that there have been reports of a GM saying he wouldn't give him more than the MLE.

How much you want to bet that same GM will offer him 7-9 mil a year? Honestly IT won't be playing for us next year .. Too many young teams in the east that have the money and cap space <<<contrary to the popular belief.. My prediction is he will be starting on the Magic next to Oladepo next year. What do you think all the teams in the east are thinking about IT? He's a PG that has proven he can score on the only two elite teams in the East. Plus the eastern conference has much smaller PG than the west which will also play a factor in many teams decision on IT and defense.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd rather go with Julius Randle over Vonleh, especially if Randle is available at our position in the draft. I think Randle's gonna be a beast in this league. Vonleh, to be honest with you, will probably be known more for his defense than his offense. Randle, I think, has the potential to develop nicely both as a defender and a shooter/play-maker.
i think randle will be a good player in the league because
How much you want to bet that same GM will offer him 7-9 mil a year? Honestly IT won't be playing for us next year .. Too many young teams in the east that have the money and cap space.. My prediction is he will be starting on the Magic next to Oladepo next year.
great, maybe we can do a sign and trade and pluck one of their young SF's off their team. harris or harkless will do on the kings. :)

How much you want to bet that same GM will offer him 7-9 mil a year? Honestly IT won't be playing for us next year .. Too many young teams in the east that have the money and cap space.. My prediction is he will be starting on the Magic next to Oladepo next year.
Sorry, I don't take your predictions very seriously after McCallum scored 23 points last game. Don't you owe someone $10? :p

On a more serious note, I created a thread about teams that could potentially steal Thomas away from us. I concluded that Orlando was the strongest threat to steal him away from us. However, you'll hear that most Orlando fans are hoping to land a PG in the draft (They're practically drooling over the potential of an Exum/Oladipo backcourt). They have two lottery picks this year which allows them to target one of the better PG prospects (Exum and Smart) and the lower tiered PGs (Ennis and Payton).

Sorry, I don't take your predictions very seriously after McCallum scored 23 points last game. Don't you owe someone $10? :p

On a more serious note, I created a thread about teams that could potentially steal Thomas away from us. I concluded that Orlando was the strongest threat to steal him away from us. However, you'll hear that most Orlando fans are hoping to land a PG in the draft (They're practically drooling over the potential of an Exum/Oladipo backcourt). They have two lottery picks this year which allows them to target one of the better PG prospects (Exum and Smart) and the lower tiered PGs (Ennis and Payton).
I will settle my debt..I really don't know why everyone is so high on Exum? The guy has bust written all over him... Playing in Australia is much different than playing in the US.

That is about as good as you could build it if you were going to have Cousins/Gay/IT all out there. But my question is even if you got that exact lineup, how far could it realistically go? And that's with you getting the perfect pieces in. Then when you have to settle for less perfect alternatives...well how good are you then?

Nonetheless, I think that's about the best you can do.
Golden State with Curry/Lee/Thompson doing all the scoring and AI/Bogut defending is getting them 50 wins and tops 2nd round of the playoffs. With Cousins I like the talent of our 3 scorers more so maybe 50-55 wins tops if we can actually defend. Who knows but it beats the lottery...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The more I see McCallum play, the more it pushes me into thinking Vonleh is our guy in this year’s draft.
I agree with you that Vonleh is a nice player. He'd also be a nice fit and I'd love to have him. (But it has nothing to do with McCallum one way or the other). However, chances are Vonleh's going to be long gone by the time the Kings draft, so I'm definitely not basing my outlook on life on the Kings picking Vonleh.

McCallum may be a player; he may not be a player. He's shown flashes of both being very good and being very bad, and of just being meh. You need a circuit through the entire season to really see what you have. He's not better than Isaiah, so regardless of starting, not starting, whatever, Isaiah is going to get more minutes at the pg (if they resign him). It's possible they would have Ray be a 1-2.

I know Gay is a good individual player, but I don't see him on the Kings longer term. His ISO game doesn't fit with Cousins. Longer term, the Kings need another playmaking 3 pt. shooter at the three, if not the two, and that doesn't coincide with Gay's ISO game He'll play very well against the bad teams, and will have a sharp drop off against the good teams (See Warriors, Pacers, Thunder). He doesn't make players much better because his ball handling and passing are below par. His TOs are indicative of that. He's not much of a catch and shoot player. He's not a three point shooter. He likes to dribble, dribble, dribble before the ISO shot (Sound familiar?) Maybe, if he's with the Kings next year, Malone devises a different offense to augment Gay's skills. I'm just not betting on it right now.

Well McCallum and McLemore are supposed to be good shooters. I have faith that they'll be knocking them down with more consistency next year. That would give us 5 players in the starting rotation who can knock down jumpers. Spacing would be much improved.

It seems you don't like to account for any chance of player development. In a sense, you're right. We had a bad perimeter defense last year and we didn't add any new perimeter defenders. Therefore our perimeter defense is still a major issue. But as our young players continue to develop and as Malone has more time to work with them, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised in the progress that is made.

Same thing here. Cousins has been progressing quite nicely on this side of the ball. I actually think he does a good job at rotating and defending in the post. His pick and roll defense could get better, but progress is progress. On top of that, Cousins has been blocking a lot more shots this season. He's not elite by any means, but he's turned himself into a respectable shotblocker. Then we add Vonleh who has good size, length, athleticism, and he can block shots and defend the post. But yeah I guess our interior defense wouldn't improve. As I mentioned earlier, I can see both Cousins and Vonleh being 1.5+ BPG type players. That's solid rim protection.
On first point I'm not arguing about Vonleh's eventual level of play, but rather that it will take him a couple of years, so let's just agree-to-disagree.
McCallum was actually an average shooter in college, and being coach's son/hard-working kid cuts both ways: player hovering under .333 from 3 and .770 from FT line for 3 seasons in college is not a sure bet to be a prolific shooter. Ben - yes, but so far it hasn't come to reality, and betting on switch clicking over this summer is very risky, when he's your only chance for massive improvement in outside shooting.
Ben's getting more and more solid defensive plays with every game, but added up it's still only lifts his overall level of play on D to about pretty bad, and that's with the thought, that maybe he's not getting 100% effort from opposing offense, given that Kings were picking up losses lately. Getting to average in one summer is another risky proposition.

I agree with you that Vonleh is a nice player. He'd also be a nice fit and I'd love to have him. (But it has nothing to do with McCallum one way or the other). However, chances are Vonleh's going to be long gone by the time the Kings draft, so I'm definitely not basing my outlook on life on the Kings picking Vonleh.

McCallum may be a player; he may not be a player. He's shown flashes of both being very good and being very bad, and of just being meh. You need a circuit through the entire season to really see what you have. He's not better than Isaiah, so regardless of starting, not starting, whatever, Isaiah is going to get more minutes at the pg (if they resign him). It's possible they would have Ray be a 1-2.

I know Gay is a good individual player, but I don't see him on the Kings longer term. His ISO game doesn't fit with Cousins. Longer term, the Kings need another playmaking 3 pt. shooter at the three, if not the two, and that doesn't coincide with Gay's ISO game He'll play very well against the bad teams, and will have a sharp drop off against the good teams (See Warriors, Pacers, Thunder). He doesn't make players much better because his ball handling and passing are below par. His TOs are indicative of that. He's not much of a catch and shoot player. He's not a three point shooter. He likes to dribble, dribble, dribble before the ISO shot (Sound familiar?) Maybe, if he's with the Kings next year, Malone devises a different offense to augment Gay's skills. I'm just not betting on it right now.
I'm not saying Vonleh's fit with the team has anything to do with McCallum. I'm saying that after watching McCallum play, I'm happy with rolling out a McCallum/Thomas PG rotation next year. Therefore, drafting that PF of the future would bring us that much closer to competing again.

You're so fascinated with the notion that Thomas will get more minutes than McCallum. You're probably right. He will most likely get more minutes, but I would hope that McCallum gets more minutes than Thomas with the first unit as that should lead to a better, more balanced team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
On first point I'm not arguing about Vonleh's eventual level of play, but rather that it will take him a couple of years, so let's just agree-to-disagree.
McCallum was actually an average shooter in college, and being coach's son/hard-working kid cuts both ways: player hovering under .333 from 3 and .770 from FT line for 3 seasons in college is not a sure bet to be a prolific shooter. Ben - yes, but so far it hasn't come to reality, and betting on switch clicking over this summer is very risky, when he's your only chance for massive improvement in outside shooting.
Ben's getting more and more solid defensive plays with every game, but added up it's still only lifts his overall level of play on D to about pretty bad, and that's with the thought, that maybe he's not getting 100% effort from opposing offense, given that Kings were picking up losses lately. Getting to average in one summer is another risky proposition.
We don't disagree about Vonleh. He's definitely not going to be a major impact player one Day 1. All of these frosh are going to need patience. Probably even Parker, who many think is the most ready to play today. It might take Vonleh a couple of years to be a player.

I think we agree on both McCallum and McLemore - I wouldn't bet the farm yet on either one. McCallum is easier to envision, if one for the fact that he is a more season player than McLemore. I agree about McLemore's defense: It's worrisome.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Golden State with Curry/Lee/Thompson doing all the scoring and AI/Bogut defending is getting them 50 wins and tops 2nd round of the playoffs. With Cousins I like the talent of our 3 scorers more so maybe 50-55 wins tops if we can actually defend. Who knows but it beats the lottery...
Iggy/Bogut >> Sefalosha and a rook

But also this: Golden state's three scorers also include their two shooters/space creaters. Our 3 scorers do not. So while G.S. just needs defense from its defenders, and can even get a little supplemental ballhandling out of Iggy, for us after we get done with our 3 scorers we still are shy of shooting, with only 1 spot to fill it. A spot that also has to be defense. And Sefalosha comes as close to filling that role as any, but the fact of the matter is that Golden State has 30 shots anight coming from floor spacers, and even if Sefalosha hits them at a decent percentage, we might be getting 8 shots from a true floor spacer.

Anyway, its the best we could do with that structure, but there's a cap on the success you could have.

This is something to consider as well and I think will be very important. We haven't had an off-season/training camp with this roster yet. And while sure, we've spent a good chunk of this year together, practices and learning material are far different during the year than they are in the off-season.

I really, really, really don't want to bring in a fresh batch of people yet again who have to get acquainted with everyone, learn the playbook again, and rebuild chemistry. I'd really like to see us use this season as a stepping stone to the next level up, rather than having to start from ground zero again.

What is the timing for our FO? Draft= Late June, IT= around July 1 ?, Gay= around July 1?, not clear to me.

Do we draft before the IT/Gay issues are settled?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I will settle my debt..I really don't know why everyone is so high on Exum? The guy has bust written all over him... Playing in Australia is much different than playing in the US.
Yeah, just name me a good player that came from Australia... Oh wait, there's that dude named Bogut. Oh yeah, well, name me another one. Ahhh, how about Patty Mills... And guess what, this kid Exum is considered the best player so far to come from Australia.