Let's have some fun - Redrafting the 2017 draft

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Coming into the draft, DSJ is one player that I have no doubt will be a very good scorer and I absolutely could NOT stand! Talented? Yes. But holly cow, talk about a selfish player. Don't get me wrong, he would happily move the ball around the perimeter but once he starts his dibble, forgetaboutit, he is going all the way to the rack and he is keeping that rock if the entire arena collapses on him. I watched about 6 college games of him and in all of those game combined, he made exactly one pass, yes one, by drawing defenders and dishing off to an open teammate. I don't mean one assist, I mean one pass. He took off balanced shots against three defenders like it's going out of style. Yes, he made enough of them to get himself to the NBA, but after the dark ages of Beno, Reke and Salmon, I just despised this kind of hero ball.

With that said, Tyreke and Nick Van Exel were also very selfish in college. They turned out alright. So what do I know. Even if DSJ eventually figures it out, I am not sure the growing pain is worth it. And these type of players usually need to change teams before they realize the right way to play basketball.

the same way you just described Dennis is the same thing I see with Trae Young at Oklahoma, yet there are posters labeling him the next Curry because he can make 30 foot shots and a top 5 pick.

the same way you just described Dennis is the same thing I see with Trae Young at Oklahoma, yet there are posters labeling him the next Curry because he can make 30 foot shots and a top 5 pick.
Young passes off of penetration all the time, and is currently leading all of college basketball in assists per game.

Coming into the draft, DSJ is one player that I have no doubt will be a very good scorer and I absolutely could NOT stand! Talented? Yes. But holly cow, talk about a selfish player. Don't get me wrong, he would happily move the ball around the perimeter but once he starts his dibble, forgetaboutit, he is going all the way to the rack and he is keeping that rock if the entire arena collapses on him. I watched about 6 college games of him and in all of those game combined, he made exactly one pass, yes one, by drawing defenders and dishing off to an open teammate. I don't mean one assist, I mean one pass. He took off balanced shots against three defenders like it's going out of style. Yes, he made enough of them to get himself to the NBA, but after the dark ages of Beno, Reke and Salmon, I just despised this kind of hero ball.

With that said, Tyreke and Nick Van Exel were also very selfish in college. They turned out alright. So what do I know. Even if DSJ eventually figures it out, I am not sure the growing pain is worth it. And these type of players usually need to change teams before they realize the right way to play basketball.

Think you're off about DSJ. For all the crap he got about his passing, it was on the same level as Fox in college. He's just a different type of player. In Dallas, while he's not lighting things up, he's far from a ball hog and selfish player.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Young passes off of penetration all the time, and is currently leading all of college basketball in assists per game.
Doesn't mean much, he has the ball in his hands the entire game. He is bound to get assists just by default and double teams. Doesn't necessarily make him a good playmaker. He passes out of necessity more so than will IMO.