Let's discuss new guys (from June 2016)

Wow, I'm really impressed with his lateral mobility, I don't think being big and plodding will be an issue if they can move Kosta and replace him with Papagiannis. His pick and roll defense and ability to switch look really nice and could be a huge asset for the Kings from day 1. He got worked in the post and from outside a little but he'll learn. He also doesn't have a ton of length so that could effect his ability as a shot blocker, but he's aggressive so that's a good sign.
He's 7'2 with a 7'6 wingspan, I would consider that pretty good length.

What are the stakes? Just a change of avatar? Who will remember three years from now? ;)

I wonder if there is anyone on this forum who thought Marco would have the kind of year he had. Speak up if you aren't surprised.

I think with Marco, most people thought it was a good signing with the assumption that he will be used correctly. He has always been a spot up, catch and shoot guy. Karl had him catching off picks and shooting before his feet are set all the time. Marco also tried to create his own shot at times and looked very incompetent doing it most of the time.

Is it now Rondo's fault too that Marco shot 30% on threes this year? .
That's not what I said at all!
I said there was a stipulation for rondo to come.

The only reason Marco couldn't throw it in the ocean is Marco (not rondo not vlade).
STOP trying to misconstrue what ppl are saying.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
That's not what I said at all!
I said there was a stipulation for rondo to come.

The only reason Marco couldn't throw it in the ocean is Marco (not rondo not vlade).
STOP trying to misconstrue what ppl are saying.
In context, it sounded to me like you were saying Rondo is partially "at fault" for the "mistake" of signing Belinelli last summer because he stipulated to Vlade that he would only sign if he got another shooter on the roster. I wasn't intentionally trying to misconstrue what you (or are anyone else) is saying. Read your comments again, the implication is there whether you intended it to be or not. Whether you were intending to pass partial fault on to Rondo or merely state that the Marco signing involved additional circumstances, I resented the implication. But the bigger point I was trying to make is that calling it a mistake in retrospect doesn't mean it was a mistake at the time it happened. If I decided to take the bus today to save on gas and the bus I'm on gets in an accident and I break my leg, it may have been a mistake in retrospect to take that bus, but there's no way I could have known that was going to happen when I made the decision in the first place (nor was it a likely outcome of that decision), so the initial decision wasn't a mistake.

Muddily was 75th among PG's in RPM, 80th in Win Shares and 64th in DRPM. Also 70th in PER at sub 10. He was basically the PG version of Ben McLemore.

With all that being said, I think he will be a good player but he wasn't even a good back up last year. He had the stats of a bad 3rd string PG.

K

KingsFan80

What are the stakes? Just a change of avatar? Who will remember three years from now? ;)

I wonder if there is anyone on this forum who thought Marco would have the kind of year he had. Speak up if you aren't surprised.
I thought Marco would be better, for sure..but I wanted Louis Williams instead.

the implication is there whether you intended it to be or not. Whether you were intending to pass partial fault on to Rondo or merely state that the Marco signing involved additional circumstances, I resented the implication.
Saying someone is the reason they came here and saying someone (else) is the reason beli played like crap are not the same thing. I didn't imply this YOU misconstrued it to make it seem that is what I said when it is absolutely not what I said nor meant.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Marco signing. Any GM in the league with a need for shooting would have been looking at Marco last year, and we got him on a very reasonable deal that after this summer appears almost cheap. Filled a need, cheaply, with an established veteran coming from the best program in the NBA...that was a rock solid move/recovery from Matthews running away. You don't get to come around in hindsight and say see! Told ya so! Unless somebody was actually saying Marco Belinelli was going to start shooting 30% from 3ptland in the first place.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Saying someone is the reason they came here and saying someone (else) is the reason beli played like poopoo are not the same thing. I didn't imply this YOU misconstrued it to make it seem that is what I said when it is absolutely not what I said nor meant.
I was backing up on this out of politeness, but since you're so outraged... this is exactly what you wrote:

I'm pretty sure rondo had a say in good 'ol broken jaw coming here.
You didn't say "Marco Belinelli", you said "Good 'ol broken jaw". Translation -- you're glad to be rid of this guy. Did I interpret that incorrectly?
"I'm pretty sure Rondo had a say" -- Rondo is not the GM of the team. He may have told Vlade to sign a veteran shooter, but he didn't say "sign Marco Belinelli or I ain't coming".
Picking Belinelli instead of a different player and signing him for that number of years and dollar value is entirely a Vlade decision. And it wasn't a bad decision! We did need a veteran shooter. Our options were Ben McLemore and .... yeah, that's pretty much it at that time. So even if Rondo did request a shooter... is that a bad request? If Marco had performed as his career averages indicate, he would have been a valuable part of the rotation.

The context of the discussion is whether Vlade is a terrible GM or just a bad one. Okay, I kid. But it's something along those lines. And your comment is about Rondo's role in bringing Belinelli to the team. If I'm grossly misinterpreting your comments as you say, perhaps you could explain to me what you were trying to say in this context? I'm probably just dense, but having read it now 3 times, I see no other reading of your comments than the one I responded to in the first place.

Rondo being the scapegoat for everything that's wrong with this team is just my eye-rolling exaggeration of the types of comments I've been reading from other people on this board all year. So I was taking your comment (Rondo is partially responsible for Belinelli being on the team in the first place) and mixing it with comments not attributed to you and came up with Rondo is responsible for Marco being terrible too. That was obviously meant to be an absurd assertion -- I was not attributing that to you. A reductio ad absurdem if you will, aimed at the Rondo detractors.

Here's my take on Marco -- George Karl didn't do Rudy Gay any favors this season. He pushed Ben McLemore further into irrelevancy. He refused to play Seth Curry and Willie Cauley-Stein when we actually still had a chance of having a successful season. He tried to make Darren Collison into a poor man's Jamal Crawford. And he played Marco big minutes at SF in smallball lineups and force-fed him the ball like a go-to scorer when he'd previously been used primarily as a spot-up threat to space the floor and keep the defense honest. It's not unreasonable to expect better seasons from all of these players next year in a system that better matches their talents. But we're not in a position to take chances right now and we need defensive role-players on the wing in a bad way. These are the realities that made Marco expendable. Having played one (mostly terrible) season in Sacramento before getting shipped out for a draft pick is not going to endear him to Kings fans in career retrospectives, but I blame the circumstances more than the player. And I still think it was a prudent signing that most of us approved of, so it's unfair to Vlade to now hold it against him.

And lastly, just to clarify. I often make comments partially in jest. I'm sorry I offended you. The jab was meant at the crowd, not to you personally.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Marco signing. Any GM in the league with a need for shooting would have been looking at Marco last year, and we got him on a very reasonable deal that after this summer appears almost cheap. Filled a need, cheaply, with an established veteran coming from the best program in the NBA...that was a rock solid move/recovery from Matthews running away. You don't come get to come around in hindsight and say see! Told ya so! Unless somebody was actually saying Marco Belinelli was going to start shooting 30% from 3ptland in the first place.
I'm pretty sure no one knew he would shoot that bad, but the defense part was well established and building a backcourt made of him and Rondo was always problematic and many said so at the time.
And having said that the Marco signing wasn't a terrible move in any case.

Marco was a great signing on paper. He was never a complete player but he was a much needed role player for the Kings. It did not work out due to Karlerism or he was just never comfortable with the rest of the guys. Plus, it turns out, excuse my BBC English, there is some as**hole in him too. Divac realized that and got rid of the contract and got a nice late 1st round pick. I think you cannot hope for more.

Marco was a great signing on paper. He was never a complete player but he was a much needed role player for the Kings. It did not work out due to Karlerism or he was just never comfortable with the rest of the guys. Plus, it turns out, excuse my BBC English, there is some as**hole in him too. Divac realized that and got rid of the contract and got a nice late 1st round pick. I think you cannot hope for more.
Yes. Also 36.5% from 3 Rondo outshot Belinelli so there's that.

Sure I will take that bet.. 1) mudiay will be an all-star and better than WCS in 3 years 2) Papa will be a terrible player and not on the Kings anymore in 3 years

Deal?
I'll take that bet, as already established:
Mudiay will not be an All-Star in three years - the loser has to change their avatar to the winner's choice for the entire 2019 off-season.

You're on, KingsFan80!
See you in 3 years - but no guarantees I won't be lightheartedly mocking you when Mudiay does exceptionally bad in the meantime. ;)

He's 7'2 with a 7'6 wingspan, I would consider that pretty good length.

Where did you get that? He'd have to get a good chunk out of that in his shoulders, but anyway, it's standing reach that would effect shot blocking. He obviously gets a bit of height out of his neck. Also, from watching video he seems to have trouble effecting shooters at the rim without jumping.

Where did you get that? He'd have to get a good chunk out of that in his shoulders, but anyway, it's standing reach that would effect shot blocking. He obviously gets a bit of height out of his neck. Also, from watching video he seems to have trouble effecting shooters at the rim without jumping.
Seen it listed a couple times, but don't remember where.

Wingspan, vertical, & obviously instincts are also very important factors. It's not just about standing reach. Many times players aren't blocking a shot with their hands straight up. A lot of the times they are blocking shots with their arms at different angles which puts more emphasis on wingspan than height.

No, he's flat looked pretty good. Good enough its easy to imagine his game translating to the NBA. He's not revolutionary, but he's big, long, and surprisingly strong, and his moves consistently look like he borrowed them from the pros. Whatever his college career, this is a solid looking prospect right now.
100% Brick.

He was criticized for his poor shot selection.....But I saw his bombs and self creating possibilities, and how bold he is.

That translated to having the swagger to force his way onto the court, believing in himself, and probably a NBA ready reserve on day 1.

Thinking some of Ben now too.

His size is good, he is athletic. Basically the skeptics were worried about hero ball and tunnel vision.

I don't think we have anything to worry about with him with our roster construction, when he gets the ball it will probably be in a good shooting position, and boy he is always ready to shoot, in your face, on a dime, no hesitation, pretty, and all the confidence in the world.

Considering our coaching staff, they'll get him playing decent enough D.