Layoffs at the Sacramento Bee

Don't know if Nate Goodyear fired at KHTK. But Sac Bee now laying off lots staff, including many long time writers, reporters in major downsize at struggling newspaper.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...-hit-sacramento-bee.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo
The layoffs are going to get much worse. Newspapers are dying. My neighbor is a higher up at the BEE's owners and he has been flying around to their other newspapers laying off tons of employees. He said it's been brutal lately.

The layoffs are going to get much worse. Newspapers are dying. My neighbor is a higher up at the BEE's owners and he has been flying around to their other newspapers laying off tons of employees. He said it's been brutal lately.
I'm sad to hear of people losing their jobs, but the Bee is particularly horrible and has been. I hope the good people there land on their feet but I cancelled my Bee subscription many years ago (they ripped me off about $22 at the time by delivering and charging past the date I let the subscription lapse) and have never missed it... its main function was kindling for patio fires. I might have re-subscribed at some point in the interim if not for the shabby way they treated me when I cancelled. But I hope the good people land on their feet... I wish ill on the decision makers though, like the editor who doubled down on the DeMarcus attack after Furillo baited him into a tantrum.

The Bee did to themselves for sure, as much as changing circumstances in the market served. In my area around couple decades ago nearly every single driveway had the Bee landing on it each morning. Then around ten years ago very obvious Bee presence fast disappearing in the neighborhood. Now, I know of only one home still getting delivery. The home owner 86 year old widow who often lets two or three papers pile up before she picks up. In failing health, once she's gone probably about the time Sac Bee disappears forever. Apparently, very few people will miss scorned worn out rag.

I just want to add during our glory years the bee had excellent coverage. Now not so much. It's 2k17 and there are sites like this one and STR with great info and opinions.

I still subscribe to the Bee digital version and read it on my iPad most mornings to start the day. It's a shell of its former self, but I believe they still have some good reporters doing important investigative work on the state and local levels. While I get most of my Kings fix elsewhere, I still think it is crucial to support the local rag.

I don't envy those in the business, though (a path I briefly took) as they still figure out how to adapt to the online business model. I feel like the Bee is paying the price for poor choices made by its parent, the McClatchy Co.