Las Vegas Summer League 2017

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, it looks like Summer League in Vegas just might be the place for Kings fans to be this year to check out what could be a very exciting young squad.

I know CruzDude and bajaden are usually in attendance, but what about the rest of you? Got plans to head to Vegas? Know any tips on where to stay?

Is it too early to talk about this? :p

I'm definitely trying to go this year. I was thinking the 6th-11th? Y'all think thats a good timeframe?

Also, I was planning on staying at an airbnb with a friend. Ive seen about 50-60 a night which would be split. Thats not bad imo.

How much are tickets?

Not going to attend but this would be the year to do it if you were going to. Should be a good squad out there. Vegas is just so expensive and that's without even gambling.

I'm curious to see if Hield plays. Personally I don't think he needs to but it wouldn't hurt to develop some chemistry with the other young guys.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm definitely trying to go this year. I was thinking the 6th-11th? Y'all think thats a good timeframe?

Also, I was planning on staying at an airbnb with a friend. Ive seen about 50-60 a night which would be split. Thats not bad imo.

How much are tickets?
Considering games don't start until the 7th I don't quite approve of your time frame.

I think tickets are about $30/day this year, but I think there are fees unless you buy at the box office. But right now I would guess that it's going to be super crowded this year with Lakers fans showing up to watch Lonzo Ball (I mean, that's the way it's looking to shape up) so buying tickets ahead of time might not be a bad idea.

If you can wait to plan your trip until the schedule is out, you can pick and choose the days you want to go, but I don't think the schedule is usually released until a few weeks beforehand - it has never really been feasible for me to wait until the schedule comes out. So, as a handy guide, here's the way it usually goes. Until the quarterfinals there are competing games in two connected venues (T&M, the big arena and Cox, the smaller gym). A full schedule is 4 games in each venue, Cox games starting nominally 30 minutes before T&M games (but things get off kilter due to games going short or long through the day). Typical start time is 1/3/5/7 PM in Cox and 1:30/3:30/5:30/7:30 in T&M.

Friday: Short schedule (3 games per venue), start late at 3PM
Saturday: Full schedule
Sunday: Full schedule
Monday: Full schedule
Tuesday: Short schedule (3 games per venue), start at 1 PM and end early
(Every team will play exactly three games in these 5 days)

Wednesday: Full schedule (Playoffs round 1, seeds 9-24)
Thursday: Full schedule (Playoffs round 2, seeds 1-8 playing winners of Weds.)
Friday: Full schedule (Consolation round, Weds/Thurs losers playing)
(Most teams will play 2 games in these 3 days, but 1-8 seeds who win will only play 1 game and 9-24 seeds who win Weds and lose Thurs will play Fri)

Saturday: Quarterfinals (4 games, all in T&M)
Sunday: Semifinals (2 games, both in T&M, not sure of start time, probably 3 or 5 PM)
Monday: Finals, T&M, start time probably 7 PM?

Considering games don't start until the 7th I don't quite approve of your time frame.

I think tickets are about $30/day this year, but I think there are fees unless you buy at the box office. But right now I would guess that it's going to be super crowded this year with Lakers fans showing up to watch Lonzo Ball (I mean, that's the way it's looking to shape up) so buying tickets ahead of time might not be a bad idea.

If you can wait to plan your trip until the schedule is out, you can pick and choose the days you want to go, but I don't think the schedule is usually released until a few weeks beforehand - it has never really been feasible for me to wait until the schedule comes out. So, as a handy guide, here's the way it usually goes. Until the quarterfinals there are competing games in two connected venues (T&M, the big arena and Cox, the smaller gym). A full schedule is 4 games in each venue, Cox games starting nominally 30 minutes before T&M games (but things get off kilter due to games going short or long through the day). Typical start time is 1/3/5/7 PM in Cox and 1:30/3:30/5:30/7:30 in T&M.

Friday: Short schedule (3 games per venue), start late at 3PM
Saturday: Full schedule
Sunday: Full schedule
Monday: Full schedule
Tuesday: Short schedule (3 games per venue), start at 1 PM and end early
(Every team will play exactly three games in these 5 days)

Wednesday: Full schedule (Playoffs round 1, seeds 9-24)
Thursday: Full schedule (Playoffs round 2, seeds 1-8 playing winners of Weds.)
Friday: Full schedule (Consolation round, Weds/Thurs losers playing)
(Most teams will play 2 games in these 3 days, but 1-8 seeds who win will only play 1 game and 9-24 seeds who win Weds and lose Thurs will play Fri)

Saturday: Quarterfinals (4 games, all in T&M)
Sunday: Semifinals (2 games, both in T&M, not sure of start time, probably 3 or 5 PM)
Monday: Finals, T&M, start time probably 7 PM?
This really helps. The reason I said 6-11 was because I wouldve taken work off the 6th to not miss games on the 7th.

If games typically start late on that first day, then I could
just take Friday off and fly out early which is even better.

Seems like 7-11th would be a good timeframe to go since all teams will be playing. I did underestimate the ticket cost though but that's fine.

That'd be cool to rotate venues depending on who you want to see, but I'm guessing the 30 bucks would be for one venue?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This really helps. The reason I said 6-11 was because I wouldve taken work off the 6th to not miss games on the 7th.

If games typically start late on that first day, then I could
just take Friday off and fly out early which is even better.

Seems like 7-11th would be a good timeframe to go since all teams will be playing. I did underestimate the ticket cost though but that's fine.

That'd be cool to rotate venues depending on who you want to see, but I'm guessing the 30 bucks would be for one venue?
Yeah, the Capt beat me to it. The Games on the 7th don't start until 3 pm, so just make sure you arrive early enough to get there in time. Last year, the Kings did play on the first day, and like the Capt said, it might be a good idea to buy your tickets in advance, especially on the week-end games when all the LA idiots flock up there in droves.

I'm arriving on the 7th, and leaving on the 15th, so I'll see a big chunk of the games. Last year all the Laker games were in the Thomas & Mack center, which is the larger of the two venues. Hopefully they'll do the same this year. Some advice for those that haven't been there before. If you chill easily, then take a sweat shirt of something for the games in the Thomas & Mack center. They have the air conditioning on so high I almost froze to death. Uncia03 was kind enough to give me his sweat shirt to wear and saved my life. Might just be me, but you've had fair warning. No need in the Cox pravillion. Such a small arena that when it's full of people the air conditioning can't keep up with the body heat.

Yeah, the Capt beat me to it. The Games on the 7th don't start until 3 pm, so just make sure you arrive early enough to get there in time. Last year, the Kings did play on the first day, and like the Capt said, it might be a good idea to buy your tickets in advance, especially on the week-end games when all the LA idiots flock up there in droves.

I'm arriving on the 7th, and leaving on the 15th, so I'll see a big chunk of the games. Last year all the Laker games were in the Thomas & Mack center, which is the larger of the two venues. Hopefully they'll do the same this year. Some advice for those that haven't been there before. If you chill easily, then take a sweat shirt of something for the games in the Thomas & Mack center. They have the air conditioning on so high I almost froze to death. Uncia03 was kind enough to give me his sweat shirt to wear and saved my life. Might just be me, but you've had fair warning. No need in the Cox pravillion. Such a small arena that when it's full of people the air conditioning can't keep up with the body heat.
Kk so it's best to scout the schedule beforehand and choose which arena to go to for the day? Or can you hop between the arenas?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kk so it's best to scout the schedule beforehand and choose which arena to go to for the day? Or can you hop between the arenas?
The two arena's are attached with the concession stands between the two. So when you buy a ticket for the day, you can shift back and forth between the two arena's. Sometimes you'll find it better to take in a game you may not be that interested in that comes right before a Kings game, that way you'll always get a good seat. However, for the most part getting a seat isn't a problem, especially in the Thomas & Mack center which holds a lot of people. The only exception is when the Lakers play, especially if it's a week-end game.

One other thing to take into consideration as far as crowds go, is who is playing in the game. Last year everyone wanted to see Simmons play, so the first couple of games were quite crowded. If memory serves, he only played in two summer league games. In general, most people want to see their team, and the top draft picks play. I'm sure everyone will be wanting to see Fultz, and of course Ball, especially if the Lakers choose him. As much as I'd like to see Ball play, I'm not sure I can tolerate the Laker crowds.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Okay, so if I want to meet some of the Kingsfans.com people that are going where will you be sitting? I haven't been since Jason Thompson was a rookie and I think I recall a lot of Kings fans (I don't know if they were actual "Kingsfans") sitting right behind the bench.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am really bummed to not be able to make it this summer, we really ought to have an exciting team! Maybe next year I can pass on teaching summer school.

Wish I could make it, would be fun see our youngins tear it up. The joys of living across the pond does not include catching Kings games.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
By the way, if you want to sit with a bunch of other Kings fans, it's hard to miss Mike's group. It's quite large, and at the Cox pravillion, they're usually sitting at the far end from the entrance to the pravillion on the left side. No guarnatee's on that position, but in recent years that's where they have been. But as I said, they're hard to miss.

gunks

Hall of Famer
With all the first rounders expected to be on our summer league squad. Are we looking at a summer league super team?

Remember how far we went with Ray McCallum. I think this won't even be fair.
We're the Warriors of summer league.

Unfortunately we're the Kings of the regular season.

Although with the way Vlade's been drafting, that might not be a bad thing in 3 years or so.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I read that Dominque Hawkins has been added to our summer league roster. another Kentucky guy that was on this years Kentucky team. Hawkins, a senior, is known more for his defense at the PG position more than anything else. Although he did improve his 3 pt shot this season hitting them at a 34.4% rate.

I also wonder if the Kings will bring over Mitrovic and Gudaitis for a second look. They wern't very impressive last year, but who knows. Maybe they improved their bodies and their skill sets. The roster should be out fairly soon.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I read that Dominque Hawkins has been added to our summer league roster. another Kentucky guy that was on this years Kentucky team. Hawkins, a senior, is known more for his defense at the PG position more than anything else. Although he did improve his 3 pt shot this season hitting them at a 34.4% rate.

I also wonder if the Kings will bring over Mitrovic and Gudaitis for a second look. They wern't very impressive last year, but who knows. Maybe they improved their bodies and their skill sets. The roster should be out fairly soon.
The problem is that we'll still probably be really deep at the big man spot this summer league with Papa/Skal/Giles taking up most of the time. This minute's crunch only gets worse if Willie shows up too.

Naz Long, a SG, is on the summer league team also. Does anyone know anyone else? I'm assuming no more guards will be added as there's 4 PG and 3 SG on the team

Fox/Mason/I. Cousins/Hawkins
Hield/Richardson/Long
Jackson/TBD/TBD
Skal/Giles/Jack Cooley
Papa/WCS(or TBD)/TBD

Last edited: