Labissiere, what is his ceiling?

He has the talent level of an all-star type player. Projects as a nice complement to Cousins.

I am still hopeful that in time he could play the 3 so we can roll out a DMC-WCS-Skal frontline and give these small ball teams absolute fits.

He has solid footwork. If he can work on that some more and work on getting a crisp handles he could be a SF in the long term.

I agree, he has the talent to be an allstar in this league. I really like the DMC-Skal pairing. They complement each others strengths and weaknesses so well. If Skal works out and becomes the athletic shotblocking stretch 4 that we all wanted next to Cousins for years, oh boy! We may lucked our selves into that second all star next to DMC that we havent been able to find (or keep) in six years.
But of course Skal has a lot of work to do. I am really interested to see if he can stay in front of quicker stretch fours.

He has the talent level of an all-star type player. Projects as a nice complement to Cousins.

I am still hopeful that in time he could play the 3 so we can roll out a DMC-WCS-Skal frontline and give these small ball teams absolute fits.

He has solid footwork. If he can work on that some more and work on getting a crisp handles he could be a SF in the long term.
Why? Wouldn't even screw around with that. He's a natural face-up 4 and should be used as such.

The other issue we have is that he's so raw and so small atm that it's kind of hard to predict where he'll be in 3 years. Can he put on weight? Can he tap into his natural ability? Because the reason he fell so far in the draft was he had very few moments at all last year that showcased his talent and was downright dreadful most of the season.

That said, I think Ibaka is a solid ceiling projection and what we should be developing him into being; not a #1 or #2 option kind of player. Great jumper, some defensive instincts, natural shot-blocker. Which, as we've been saying since Cousins was drafted, is the exact kind of player we want next to him.

Anthony Davis is his ceiling. If summer league was no fluke, then we've got something to be excited about. But if we drafted Kentucky Skal, then we'll have one more thing to be disappointed about.

Anthony Davis is his ceiling. If summer league was no fluke, then we've got something to be excited about. But if we drafted Kentucky Skal, then we'll have one more thing to be disappointed about.
He does remind me of AD, perhaps AD light? What's his ballhandling & defense?

He reminds me of a taller Kevin durant.

He has the skills, but he needs to put on a lot of muscle to bang with the big boys. That's why I see him filling out into a small forward eventually.

My biggest concern with Skal, besides the strength, is does he have the mean streak to be the best? He seems a little on the too nice side to me. If he can develop that desire to be the best, then Kevin durant level is his ceiling.

He does remind me of AD, perhaps AD light? What's his ballhandling & defense?
Skal's weakness on both ends of the floor is his strength (or lackthereof). Bigger/strong guys just moved him out of their way.
His strength as a defender is as a rim protector.
Skal even lost weight last year! So let's see if he's destined to be an inside player in the NBA.
Calipari didn't have confidence in Skal's handles, but since it appears that Calipari misjudged Skal, that may not mean a whole lot.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
He reminds me of a taller Kevin durant.

He has the skills, but he needs to put on a lot of muscle to bang with the big boys. That's why I see him filling out into a small forward eventually.

My biggest concern with Skal, besides the strength, is does he have the mean streak to be the best? He seems a little on the too nice side to me. If he can develop that desire to be the best, then Kevin durant level is his ceiling.
The interesting thing is that Skal measured out an inch and a half taller than KD at the combine and Durant still had a 2 inch wingspan advantage. He was also only a pound heavier than the shorter Durant whose biggest knock coming into the NBA was his slight frame and lack of strength.

Skal doesn't look like Kevin Durant light to me. Brandon Ingram does. He's a lot more like KD but less smooth, more mechanical. Still a ton of upside with Ingram.

I don't know who to compare Skal to. Porzingis maybe? The difference there (and what I underestimated about Porzingis pre-draft) is that Kristaps clearly has a huge passion for basketball and the drive to improve and excel. We don't know if Skal does.

His ability to gain strength and his level of commitment/desire to be good or great is going to govern what kind of player he becomes.

5.Wcs
4. DMC
3. Skal
Would be our counter to all these small ball line ups trams are trotting out these days.
I wouldn't run that lineup most of the game, but in spurts it could be an x-factor for us. My biggest concern would be a Golden State type of team with quickness essentially everywhere. Also, a lot has to go right for us in order for that lineup to take place. Skal has to show he can play the 3 spot for one (and put on some muscle), WCS has to be consistent for us (and also put on some muscle), and DMC has to not foul when guarding 4's.

Comparing Skal to Kevin Durant or AD is kind of ridiculous at this point (those are MVP type players, HOF players, etc). If he can reach near all-star production or become an all-star, then that is a hell of a steal for us. But AD or Durant? Let's not have that type of expectation for him which would only result in us being disappointed in him. I was really surprised and impressed at Summer League and now I want to see how that translates to a bigger and more difficult stage. I'll let him set his own bar before I make predictions. If he does reach a Durant level or AD level, it would have to be one of the biggest steals in NBA history, if not the biggest.

Skal had a bad year at UK and had a precipitous, and what had to be an embarrassing, drop in the draft.

Skal, use that as motivation. The rest of the league doesn't believe in you. Put in some work and let's surprise some people this year! Go Kings! :cool:

Comparing Skal to Kevin Durant or AD is kind of ridiculous at this point (those are MVP type players, HOF players, etc). If he can reach near all-star production or become an all-star, then that is a hell of a steal for us. But AD or Durant? Let's not have that type of expectation for him which would only result in us being disappointed in him. I was really surprised and impressed at Summer League and now I want to see how that translates to a bigger and more difficult stage. I'll let him set his own bar before I make predictions. If he does reach a Durant level or AD level, it would have to be one of the biggest steals in NBA history, if not the biggest.
How do you discuss someone's ceiling and not make some comparisons? The thing is, you keep it in the context of what type of player that he may (or may not) become. You don't take someone's ceiling discussion and assume that's the projection and the expectation! That's sort of missing the whole point.

How do you discuss someone's ceiling and not make some comparisons? The thing is, you keep it in the context of what type of player that he may (or may not) become. You don't take someone's ceiling discussion and assume that's the projection and the expectation! That's sort of missing the whole point.
There are good comparisons and not so good comparisons. I didn't say he was going to become an average stretch 4 or anything. In fact, I didn't even make a projection on his ceiling or floor level at all. All I did was caution the optimistic people who are already comparing him to KD or AD in order for them to not hate the kid if he doesn't do that well this season. Personally, I need to see more of his game in order to make a judgment on what his ceiling can be, but like I said in my previous post, he already impressed me quite a bit. That being said, I'm definitely not going to take that huge step and say he looks like KD out on the court, because he doesn't. He shares some qualities with AD, but it's not like 7 footers with range to the 3 and defensive instincts are common in the NBA. He might be a whole different type of animal. That's why I'm taking the wait and see approach for the time being.

Why? Wouldn't even screw around with that. He's a natural face-up 4 and should be used as such.

The other issue we have is that he's so raw and so small atm that it's kind of hard to predict where he'll be in 3 years. Can he put on weight? Can he tap into his natural ability? Because the reason he fell so far in the draft was he had very few moments at all last year that showcased his talent and was downright dreadful most of the season.

That said, I think Ibaka is a solid ceiling projection and what we should be developing him into being; not a #1 or #2 option kind of player. Great jumper, some defensive instincts, natural shot-blocker. Which, as we've been saying since Cousins was drafted, is the exact kind of player we want next to him.
Why not? The kid clearly has the talent and the ability to play some minutes at the 3. He would not primarily be a 3 as he would be spending some time at 4 but if I can roll out a DMC-WCS-Skal starting frontcourt in 2-3 years time it is going to be an absolute nightmare for the opposing teams. They can small ball all they like against us, we just beat them with length, athleticism, post play.

Why follow someone else's lead? Why not be leaders ourselves?

Sure Skal will certainly start his career as a stretch 4 but I see no reason why he could not split his time between 3 and 4 in a couple of years time. He already has NBA game but severely lacks strength and he just might be one of those guys that struggles to put on good weight.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Again though, realistically we are brimming with SFs at the moment, in fact overflowing the 48min available. While on the other hand we've got a still muddled PF spot. And with WCS as a 4/5, there's an opportunity for a Skal to turn it into a two-skinny boys and one big boy Cuz/Skal/WCS frontcourt.

The skinnyness thing we'll just have to see. It has been accurately noted that the golden era of the PFs is past -- in fact the current junkball fad has really declared war more on PFs than it has on Cs. Almost every team still has one or more big bodies Cs on the roster, and Skal absolutely cannot play them without getting broken like a matchstick. But the PFs have been heavily eroded and junkified, and when teams throw out random Ilyasova/Morris twin level crap at the position, I doubt Skal is going to be truly physically overwhelmed. There will be bad matchup nights (Favors, Zach etc.) , but he can play a lot more 4s today than he could have 15-20 years ago. And unlike the non-PF blown up SFs, he's got the length to help defend inside even if his man is a beast.

As for the rest, if he's going to swing either way, either 4/5 or 4/3 then I would say 4/3. The 5s just do not look practical, and frankly that may have been a part of Cal's mistake at Kentucky. Skal is just too skinny/wussy to do anything against even 2nd and 3rd tier guys like a Zaza Pachulia, and big guys with game like Valanciunas would chew him up. On the other hand, with that frame, ballhandling, range on his shot, and length, there could be some Tayshaun Prince ype SF minutes against the right matchups. SF play though depends on having lateral quickness, and we would need more evidence, which may not come in spades in a year with Rudy/Omri and Barnes all here.

Skal's ceiling is completely dependant on his mental disposition. He certainly has the tools to be damn good. He has a legit faceup game and back to the basket game. The jumper is there. The hook shot is there. He has a soft shooting touch from anywhere inside the 3, and can make 3's. He's long, mobile, and athletic. He could turn into an absolute nightmare to play against. How good he becomes all depends on him.

I feel like the comps are really off in this thread.

AD? Not as athletic nor explosive as AD. AD is a freak-1 in a generation talent, and no offense to Skal, but they're not alike at all.
KD? The only thing they have in common is that they both came out of college skinny and can shoot. Skal doesn't have his lateral quickness. Nothing alike.
Porzingers? Zingers is a lot bigger and tougher than Skal. Zingers was a much more polished player coming from Europe. Nothing alike at all either.

I think these comps are off because Skal has his own unique skillsets.

Also, please.............he is not a SF. Please don't play him at SF. You're just asking to ruin his development. No, actually, you're TRYING to ruin his development. Why in the world would we even play him with WCS and Cousins in at the same time? WCS clogs up the floor for both Skal and Cousins.

Why not? The kid clearly has the talent and the ability to play some minutes at the 3. He would not primarily be a 3 as he would be spending some time at 4 but if I can roll out a DMC-WCS-Skal starting frontcourt in 2-3 years time it is going to be an absolute nightmare for the opposing teams. They can small ball all they like against us, we just beat them with length, athleticism, post play.

Why follow someone else's lead? Why not be leaders ourselves?

Sure Skal will certainly start his career as a stretch 4 but I see no reason why he could not split his time between 3 and 4 in a couple of years time. He already has NBA game but severely lacks strength and he just might be one of those guys that struggles to put on good weight.
I don't believe Skal has the quickness nor skillset to defend SFs in the NBA. This is just a disaster waiting to happen if we're trying to convert him into a SF. Every NBA player is getting quicker. Cs are getting quicker. PFs are getting quicker. SFs are getting quicker.

Ideally, we'd want a Skal-Cousins future front court with WCS off the bench. WCS jams the crud out of our floor spacing.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't want to compare him to any type of player really...however, I hope he projects to be a respectable player for the Kings at the very least, considering the busts that have come and gone here.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't believe Skal has the quickness nor skillset to defend SFs in the NBA. This is just a disaster waiting to happen if we're trying to convert him into a SF. Every NBA player is getting quicker. Cs are getting quicker. PFs are getting quicker. SFs are getting quicker.
This is exactly why I don't think Skal has a chance to play SF successfully. Add to that the fact that one of his appealing skills is rim protection from within the paint, and it seems like consistently stationing him on the perimeter on defense is not likely to be the best move.