Kosta Koufos

Everyone is familiar with Kosta and his strengths and weaknesses. I think in general the consensus is his value to us is as an example to the younger guys and especially Papagiannis. I think there is value to that but my question is how much is that worth to us and does he have a future with the team? He's currently 28yrs old and has a opt out after this season. I think we should consider trying to get some value for him this week. Thoughts...

He's worth more to us here than gone. Finding a replacement would be tougher than we think. However, it is true that pastures on the other side seem greener. Get a good vet to replace him then maybe. For me, I'd keep him.

We need a couple quality vets, but there's a couple things in play. We might draft a big like Collins, if that's the case then I'd imagine Kosta would opt out at the end of he year. Tough call with Kosta, maybe hes the trade chip needed to move up from the 10 spot and assure a SF to go with our PG.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Kosta does have value to us as one of our few veterans. I wouldn't really be shopping him if I were in charge. Does he opt out after this year? Seems like a decent chance of that, but in the meantime he's around for a year and he's the exact kind of guy we want to have around in the clubhouse. If somebody makes a great offer, then we'd have to consider it, but we're looking at a decent chance that over half the team is going to be first and second-year players this upcoming season. Do we want another rookie in that mix at the expense of Kosta? I guess it would depend on who is on the board, but I won't be upset if we don't move him, that's for sure.

If we can you use him as a trade chip to move up from #10 to #7, I would do it in a heartbeat.

If we draft Tatum at #5 and Fox is still on the board at #7 (or the other way around), I would package KK with the #1o and move up to get #7. We may have to take a salary dump of Pekovic's contract too.

If we can somehow get Tatum and Fox in this draft, that would be a home run for the Kings :)

He's got trade value for sure, his deal is a bargain compared to some of the recent overpays we've seen the last 2 summers (Especially Joakim Noah).

I hope he stays though, solid player, solid contract. Not much to complain about IMO. Especially with Papa being groomed, you'd hope Kosta can hold down the backup spot til he's ready.

I like Kosta a lot. I think he is a pro's pro. Works his backside off, plays hard, sets a great example for youngsters and is a great locker room guy. I especially like the mentoring that he provides Papagiannis....that Greek connection is under-rated a bit. Kings fans would have seen how what Vlade did for Peja. Kosta is doing a similar thing for Giorgios.

Having said all that, if Kings draft a big at 10 as it seems likely unless there are moves, then Kosta as an expiring contract becomes a trade chip that Kings need to cash in on before the deadline. For a play off team that is looking to add a solid big man to their roster, Kosta is worth a first round pick if he gets them over the hump. I would love to keep him but I am sure he will want to play and the Kings already have 3 young bigs they need to develop with playing time next season. While big Papa is still possibly a season away from being a dependable contributor in meaningful NBA games, he still need some playing time at the NBA level to keep developing.

gunks

Hall of Famer
if the Kings draft a big at 10 then I can see Kosta getting shipped out along with one of the SG's on the team
That's what I'm thinking.

If we end up with Isaac, or Collins at 10, I think we have to move Kosta to open up playing time.

He's a good player, good mentor, but I think experience for the young bigs would be more valuable for where this team is currently at.

Kosta does have value to us as one of our few veterans. I wouldn't really be shopping him if I were in charge. Does he opt out after this year? Seems like a decent chance of that, but in the meantime he's around for a year and he's the exact kind of guy we want to have around in the clubhouse. If somebody makes a great offer, then we'd have to consider it, but we're looking at a decent chance that over half the team is going to be first and second-year players this upcoming season. Do we want another rookie in that mix at the expense of Kosta? I guess it would depend on who is on the board, but I won't be upset if we don't move him, that's for sure.
Plus I think he's only making somewhere around 8 mil a year. Hard to go out and find good vets with that price tag.

Having this conversation about a player who was an important player for years on a solid mid-tier playoff team really speaks to the work Vlade has done in a couple of seasons.

Four or five years ago would we have ever dreamed of trading a player like Kosta Koufos when the Kings were floundering with bigs like Jason Thompson, Ryan Hollins and others?

I agree with what others have mentioned in that I highly value Kosta Koufos as a player and mentor but if he is more valuable to the Kings as a trade asset to get a next level potential player, then I wish him well.

Kosta is the perfect sort of guy with his salary to send out to someone else and eat some bad salary for a perk.

Don't get attached to guys who are not really in our long term plans.

Cash in now.

Kosta is the perfect sort of guy with his salary to send out to someone else and eat some bad salary for a perk.

Don't get attached to guys who are not really in our long term plans.

Cash in now.
That's how I handle my business ventures. I'm a seller not a collector and I don't get overly attached to my assets. Of course Pro hoop is different but some principles transfer over but not all.

That's how I handle my business ventures. I'm a seller not a collector and I don't get overly attached to my assets. Of course Pro hoop is different but some principles transfer over but not all.
See that Russell trade to get out of Mozgov's contract?

We've got Kosta right here as a salary filler, and cap space...

Could be something out there on draft night.

What do you think is brewing?
Keep an eye on the Portland 15, 20, 26 and salary to shed
Rockets have Denver and Portland's seconds.

But anyone that's involved in a larger trade and needs to send away salary.

Vlade worked out a lot of people, makes me wonder if he's looking to try and gobble up some second rounders.

If nothing happens on draft night, well I hope we gut some futures once FA starts.

Afflalo's contract can only work this week! Please use it to get a draft pick from Portland, Harkless and a pick please!!!!!

I really hope Afflalo does not go away for nothing except more cap space? Vlade get us something please!!!!!

So clippers offered Jordan to the Suns for #4 pick and chandler , Suns said no

What about our 10 pick and 34 pick and Koufos for Jordan

and noo I would not offer the #5

Houston is shopping Beverly

What if we sent Kosta and AA to Portland.

We get the 20, Beverly and bad salary like Leonard

Houston picks up the 26 and sends one of their seconds back to Portland?

We'd have a budget solid pg on the books that would help with the Leonard loot. We could stretch Leonard on his last year of his deal later.