REVISITED KingsFans.com Mock Draft 2017 - Seeding

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With the 2017 KingsFans.com Mock Draft over, we've got time to figure out who "won" the draft. I figure the best way to do this is to have an 8-team single elimination poll, but we have to seed that poll.

So here's the idea - we don't want to reward teams for simply having a good pick. We want to reward teams for doing the most with what they have. Then it becomes a question of how much each team has, going into the draft. I've decided to use the formulation at http://fansided.com/2016/06/16/nba-draft-trade-value-chart/ to provide a single number (based on historical 2-year best average VORP per draft position) to measure how strong each team's draft assets were.

I'll list all the teams who selected any players (in two posts to hopefully dodge the Server Error monster) in descending order of draft value as follows:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Ahem. (server error monster ALREADY attacking...)

Praying Mantises ---- Picks 11, 22, 38 ----- DV 4.24 ----- Torkelson, Yamamoto, Pinkerton

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to rank from 1 to 10 the teams you felt did the best with what they had, with 1 being the best. You may use the draft value provided, or your own (objective or subjective) method based on how you value the picks. Once we get a good number of responses, I'll collect the results and seed the top eight teams!

Note: you didn’t have to draft to vote. All voters are accepted.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Celtics ---- Picks 1, 37, 53, 56 ---- DV 12.23 ---- Fultz, Motley, Lessort, Dorsey
Kings ---- Picks 5, 10, 34 ---- DV 11.0 ---- Tatum, Markkanen, Frank Jackson
76ers ---- Picks 3, 36, 39, 46, 50 ---- DV 9.41 ---- Josh Jackson, Lydon, Monte Morris, Iwundu, Tony Bradley
Magic ---- Picks 6, 25, 33, 35 ---- DV 9.02 ---- Isaac, Patton, Hart, Brooks
Lakers ---- Picks 2, 28 ---- DV 8.62 ---- Ball, Hartenstein
Suns ---- Picks 4, 32, 54 ---- DV 7.77 ---- Fox, Rabb, Thornwell
Knicks ---- Picks 8, 44, 58 ---- DV 5.61 ---- Ntilikina, Dozier, Alec Peters
Blazers ---- Picks 15, 20, 26 ---- DV 5.34 ---- Allen, Kurucs, Ojeleye
T’Wolves ---- Pick 7 ---- DV 5.14 ---- Monk
Hornets ---- Picks 11, 41 ---- DV 4.49 ---- Zach Collins, Kobi Simmons
Mavericks ---- Pick 9 ---- DV 4.43 ---- Dennis Smith
Nuggets ---- Picks 13, 49, 51 ---- DV 4.16 ---- Anigbogu, Devin Robinson, Bacon
Jazz ---- Picks 24, 30, 42, 55 ---- DV 3.84 ---- Leaf, Pasecniks, Cash$$, Williams-Goss

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Nets ---- Picks 22, 27, 57 ---- DV 3.55 ---- Diallo, Swanigan, Bolden
Pistons ---- Pick 12 ---- DV 3.53 ---- John Collins
Hawks ---- Picks 19, 31, 60 ---- DV 3.45 ---- Adebayo, Jawun Evans, Oliver
Bulls ---- Picks 16, 38 ---- DV 3.36 ---- Anunoby, Bryant
Heat ---- Pick 14, Cash$$ ---- DV 3.02 ---- Mitchell, D.J. Wilson
Bucks ---- Picks 17, 48 ---- DV 2.9 ---- Ferguson, Vezenkov
Pacers ---- Picks 18, 47 ---- DV 2.8 ---- Justin Jackson, Mason
Thunder ---- Pick 21 ---- DV 1.97 ---- Kennard
Raptors ---- Pick 23 ---- DV 1.78 ---- Giles
Spurs ---- Picks 29, 59 ---- DV 1.46 ---- Jeanne, L.J. Peak
Rockets ---- Picks 43, 45 ---- DV 1.22 ---- Derrick White, Bell
Pelicans ---- Pick 40 ---- DV 0.71 ---- Damyean Dotson
Wizards ---- Pick 52 ---- DV 0.39 ---- Sumner

Last edited:
If we cannot vote for ourselves, I think the Kings won.

1. Kings
2. 76ers
3. Knicks
4. Nets
5. Suns
6. Celtics (almost entirely based on Fultz)
7. Nuggets
8. Magic
9. Lakers
10. Wolves

1. Lakers
2. Rockets
3. Spurs
4. Heat
5. Knicks
6. 76ers
7. Hawks
8. Celtics
9. Magic
10. Kings

Edited for explanations:
The Lakers won the draft IMO. You can make an reasonable argument that Ball is going to be the most valuable player out of this class (especially if you factor in attracting free agents to LA), and Hartenstein is a great value play at #28.
The Rockets, Spurs and Heat also had fantastic drafts. Considering the low value of their picks they did an amazing job: White + Bell for the Rockets with two middling seconds, Jeanne + Peak at #29 and #59 for the Spurs, and Mitchell at #14 + Wilson at #42 (bought from the Jazz) for the Heat.
Knicks, 76ers and Hawks also got good value for their picks. 76ers got the best players out of this group, but this was expected given the higher value of their picks so I put NY above them.
Celtics, Magic and Kings came out with players that I like. However this was expected because of the high value of their picks. But still it counts for something. Kings had a good draft value wise, but not locking in a top point guard is tough. Jackson is a good consolidation price hower. The Magic especially had a weird draft: Love Patton at #25 valuewise, but I wonder if they should have gone international with one of their second rounders(#33+#35). I dont see players drafted that high signing two way contracts. If I'm their agent I'm telling them to not sign anything and hope for another team to sign me to a full contract after the deadline. So in order to not lose them, the Magic have to sign 4 rookies to the roster. This puts them at 12 guaranteed contracts so only 3 more vets can be signed to fill their massive forward hole. They also need more depth in general. They better hope Isaac is ready to play 25 MPG right away. But who knows. Maybe a trade is coming?

Last edited:
Okay so had a look and here's how I feel it worked out.

1. Suns - Love all three picks great value, especially in the 2 second rounder. Winners of the draft easily for me.
2. 76ers - What a haul. I feel like Jackson is the correct pick for them at 3. Can't see them not making a trade on draft day though!
3. Celtics - Fultz should be number 1 but they pick up three potentially solid players in the second round as well.
4. Magic - I'm a fan of both Isaac and Hart and even though some may think they both have a gone a bit higher than expected here, I want to show some love for those picks.
5. Hawks - Juwan Evans in the 2nd round. Nice.
6. Bulls - Depending on health, Anunoby could be one of the bigger steals of this draft
7. Nets - I like the tactic of gambling on Diallo as they need talent, pity it won't be possible now. I like Swanigan and Bolden as prospects
8. Lakers - Ball gets judged a bit harshly round these parts. He's going to be a transcendent talent imo
9. Spurs
10. Mavs

Giving myself some love with the last two picks, as I was happy with how the draft went for both my teams :)

For what it's worth, if the top 10 works out as it does here, I won't be too impressed as a Kings fan. Not a fan of Markannen at all!

You can vote for yourself. Feel free to edit.
Thank you for letting me know that but I think I'll leave it as is. I really do believe that the Knicks did have a great draft though. For as starved for young talent as New York is, they got 3 solid picks. They got their point guard of the future who has a ton of potential. In addition to that, they got incredible value in picks 44 and 58 with two players whom on many draft boards are top 30 prospects. Especially with Peters dropping to 58.

Yet, as good of a draft as I believe the Knicks had I think the 76ers and Kings did better. Therefore, I'll leave my Knicks team at 3.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Bumping this thread - let's get a few more rankings here before we actually seed the teams for a vote! Where are all my drafters? :)

1) Suns ---- Picks 4, 32, 54 ---- DV 7.77 ---- Fox, Rabb, Thornwell
2) Nets ---- Picks 22, 27, 57 ---- DV 3.55 ---- Diallo, Swanigan, Bolden
3) Bulls ---- Picks 16, 38 ---- DV 3.36 ---- Anunoby, Bryant
4) Celtics ---- Picks 1, 37, 53, 56 ---- DV 12.23 ---- Fultz, Motley, Lessort, Dorsey
5) Mavericks ---- Pick 9 ---- DV 4.43 ---- Dennis Smith
6) Hawks ---- Picks 19, 31, 60 ---- DV 3.45 ---- Adebayo, Jawun Evans, Oliver
7) 76ers ---- Picks 3, 36, 39, 46, 50 ---- DV 9.41 ---- Josh Jackson, Lydon, Monte Morris, Iwundu, Tony Bradley
8) Pacers ---- Picks 18, 47 ---- DV 2.8 ---- Justin Jackson, Mason
9) Magic ---- Picks 6, 25, 33, 35 ---- DV 9.02 ---- Isaac, Patton, Hart, Brooks
10) Thunder ---- Pick 21 ---- DV 1.97 ---- Kennard

1) Magic ...Isaac at 6 a no brainer but Patton dropping to 25
2) Suns..... Fox is my favorite PG Rabb at 32 is good value
3) Celtics... too easy with the #1 pick, Lessort at 53 I like this pick
4) Hawks... good value with all 3 picks , especially Juwan Evans at 31
5) Heat... Mitchell at 14 will turn out to be a steal
6) Spurs.... its the Spurs with the 29th and 59th picks they will make the most of it
7) 76ers.... solid draft with Jackson at 3rd
8) Hornets and Wolves tied... Collins and Monk are equally safe talented picks at those draft spots
9) Nets... if Diallo had stayed in the draft along with Swanigan both intriguing later picks
10) Kings... Tatum at 5 and Markkanen at 10 is not how I would have gone, but they may surprise me and I have to be positive

1. 76ers - had the most picks to work with but you can tell their scouts did their homework ;) Would have liked to see maybe a trade of Jackson for someone who's a better fit, but that can wait until later, he's fine as BPA at 3.
2. Spurs - great value on both picks. Classic Spurs. Suns wanted Jeanne but he didn't fall to them!
3. Pacers - two very solid picks that seem like good value, sometimes that's all you need.
4. Suns - trying to be objective! Fox, Rabb, and Thornwell I think will outperform the 4, 32, 54 slots.
5. Heat - Mitchell at 14 seems a steal, and good use of funds to buy a pick for Wilson
6. Rockets - some big boards I've seen have these guys in the late 20s, both scooped in the 40s here
7. Nets - smart home run swings for a team bereft of its own lotto tickets.
8. Lakers - could have gotten cute by passing on Ball, but didn't
9. Celtics - wonder if they'll eventually regret not trading, but Fultz should be just fine
10. Hawks - like the 2nd round choices, but Adebayo taken a bit too soon for my taste

1. Celtics - I'm Ranking the C's first off of Ainge's previous work that landed them the Nets picks. This allowed Danny to land the best prospect in the draft! Plus 3 solid 2nd rounders.
2. Heat - Nice job picking up Mitchell at 14. Also stealing DJ Wilson with the pick before I picked for the Rockets, Argh!:) I was going to pick DJ!
3. Magic -
4. 76'ers
5. Kings
6. Bulls
7. Lakers
8. Nuggets
9. Jazz
10. Sun's

Also rans - Rockets - Landed two good prospects with picks in the 40's. Derrick White and Jordan Bell are late first round talent.
Wolves - There is little love for Monk. Would have grabbed Isaac who went in the pick before. Monk is a shooter/scorer who can really fly. His speed and athletic ability should help translate his game to the NBA.

Celtics ---- Fultz, Motley, Lessort, Dorsey
Kings ---- Tatum, Markkanen, Frank Jackson
76ers ---- Josh Jackson, Lydon, Monte Morris, Iwundu, Tony Bradley
Magic ---- Isaac, Patton, Hart, Brooks
Lakers ---- Ball, Hartenstein
Suns ---- Fox, Rabb, Thornwell
Knicks ---- Ntilikina, Dozier, Alec Peters
Blazers ---- Allen, Kurucs, Ojeleye
T’Wolves ---- Monk
Hornets ---- Zach Collins, Kobi Simmons
Mavericks ---- Dennis Smith
Nuggets ---- Anigbogu, Devin Robinson, Bacon
Jazz ---- Leaf, Pasecniks, Cash$$, Williams-Goss
Nets ---- Diallo, Swanigan, Bolden
Pistons ---- John Collins
Hawks ---- Adebayo, Jawun Evans, Oliver
Bulls ---- Anunoby, Bryant
Heat ---- Mitchell, D.J. Wilson
Bucks ---- Ferguson, Vezenkov
Pacers ---- Justin Jackson, Mason
Thunder ---- Kennard
Raptors ---- Giles
Spurs ---- Jeanne, L.J. Peak
Rockets ---- Derrick White, Bell
Pelicans ---- Damyean Dotson
Wizards ---- Sumner

I am digging this back from the grave, as I am interested to hear what posters think about this draft class, with one year under their belts.
Highlighted are the rookies I liked.

Fultz is so far - IMO - a bust. Kuzma is a home run for the Fakers, and the jury is still out on Ball (can he fix his shot?) despite his stat-line.

I do like Fox but think he had some underwhelming spells, so did not highlight him. Bogdan was for me ROY for the Kings.