Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Steven Adams
Position:
C
Hgt: 7'0"
Wgt: 255
Projected Draft Number: #12 NBADraft.net/#10 Draftexpress.com
College: Pittsburgh
College Stats 2012-13: 23.4min 7.2pts (.571FG% .000TPt% .443FT%) 6.3reb 0.6ast 0.7stl 2.0blk 1.1TO

Baja's Review: I'll start by admitting that I'm biased when it comes to Adams. I really like the kid. Now if you go look up his stats from last season at Pitt, you won't come away impressed. But if you watched him play all year, you would have seen the progress he made in a short period of time. Remember that he comes from New Zealand, which has no AAU basketball program. Sometimes his best competition on a saturday afternoon, was a pickup game against his sister. In highschool in New Zealand, he seldom went up against anyone over 6'7", so he just never had a chance to hone his game against top competition like he would have in the US. He's a very good athlete, whose strength on offense is running the floor in transition. He has good hands and catches the ball very well in traffic. He's a legit seven feet in shoes and weighs 255 pounds, and yet still looks like he could carry another 15 or 20 pounds. Other than running the floor, and scoring on alleyopps, he doesn't have much of an offensive game. He needs hours of work on his post game which in my opinion is nonexistant. He showed little game away from the basket, but apparently, he displayed a jumpshot at his workouts and shot the ball well. So he's been working on his game. If your going to draft him, its for his defensive abilities. At least in the short term. He has the potential to be a very very good defensive player. He has great shotblocking instincts, but is also excellent at defending the pick and roll, where on more than one occasion I saw him do a show, pushing the PG well beyond the 3pt line, and still get back to block his man's shot at the basket. Even when he gets stuck on a switch against a smaller and quicker player, and gets beat off the dribble, he manages to block that players shot from the side or from behind. He's also a good physical specimen, and doesn't get pushed around in the post. He's still a work in progress, especially on the offensive side, but if you have the patience to wait and develop him, I believe the reward is quite high. I wouldn't object to seeing him in a Kings uniform.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like this kid aswell. He's oozing with defensive potential and looks like he could possibly be a good fit beside Cuz.. His shotblocking is what intrigues me the most. I'm also very impressed by how fluid his movements are for a big man. Hes got a great personality and a level head aswell. I want the Kings too come out of this draft with a defensive player. Would love it if we selected Adams.

Last edited:
I have to say I am intrigued! I would like to see us bring him in for a work out. He could be a great fit next to Cousins. Bricky might finally be able to get over Drummond! :p

From 4:00 mark he looks like he can get at 40% mark shooting from 15-20 feet, which is enough for him to function offensively, given that he will get put-backs drop-offs and alley-oops, and his main purpose should be facilitating perimeter offense then rolling inside.

we whiffed on defensive prospects leonard, drummond.. we need to get better defensively. i wouldn't mind having him in the front court rotation. what do we do with hayes, patterson and thompson?

if indiana goes for thornton - granger trade we could fill that gaping hole at the 3 position.

cousins/adams
thompson/patterson
granger
reke
douglas

pretty good defensive team we have there :)

I will preface this by saying that I have not seen this guy play other than the youtube clips so obviously my knowledge of him and majority of other prospects is poor BUT in a draft that does not breed confidence, this is the guy I would like us to draft. His size, athleticism and raw potential makes him an inteiguing prospect and he just might be mobile enough and athletic enough to guard PFs in a couple of years time. He is very raw and will take time but could end up being best player from this draft.

If we are going small, I want CJ McCollum but Adams would be my first pick.

People who missed on Drummond try to overcompensate and proclaim him some kind of superstar. He went to a Detroit and simply replaced what Wallace gave him the previous year. Except he was more athletic, and thus got a more defensive impact and much more interior baskets(tip-ins, layups, dunks off of offensive rebounds, drop-offs, alley-oops) than the old guy. He didn't show advanced post or face-up game, and he asked coach multiple timed to get benched as he was out of breath, so this kind of impact may not be sustainable in the long run if he plans to average 30+ mpg. Still Drummond is generation-level athlete, and Adams is just elite. But Adams shows a good shooting touch. Adams was elite versatile defender in college, while Drummond had a bit of problem with team defense - individually Drummond is probably superior due to physical tools. In the end if you get 20 mpg from this type of project in his first year, you are happy. Maybe even give him a stint in D-League, until crowded front court issues are sorted.

From 4:00 mark he looks like he can get at 40% mark shooting from 15-20 feet, which is enough for him to function offensively, given that he will get put-backs drop-offs and alley-oops, and his main purpose should be facilitating perimeter offense then rolling inside.
okay, that guy just screams Spurs player, doesn't he? really like his approach to what he thinks he can be on an NBA level and that it seems that his statements came absolutely natural and weren't just phrases his agent told him to drop. also appears to be a genuinely nice guy with a complementary skill set to boot. as far as those things go, I wouldn't mind getting either him or McCollum.

It's really hard not to like Adams, he seems to have a genuinely good personality. It's amazing how far his interviewing comfort has come in just one year. His combination frame+athleticism doesn't get enough recognition for how uncommon it is.

I'm totally cool with the Kings taking him (not that I expect it), but I suspect others would want someone who would be expected to be a more immediate contributor.

People who missed on Drummond try to overcompensate and proclaim him some kind of superstar. He went to a Detroit and simply replaced what Wallace gave him the previous year. Except he was more athletic, and thus got a more defensive impact and much more interior baskets(tip-ins, layups, dunks off of offensive rebounds, drop-offs, alley-oops) than the old guy. He didn't show advanced post or face-up game, and he asked coach multiple timed to get benched as he was out of breath, so this kind of impact may not be sustainable in the long run if he plans to average 30+ mpg. Still Drummond is generation-level athlete, and Adams is just elite. But Adams shows a good shooting touch. Adams was elite versatile defender in college, while Drummond had a bit of problem with team defense - individually Drummond is probably superior due to physical tools. In the end if you get 20 mpg from this type of project in his first year, you are happy. Maybe even give him a stint in D-League, until crowded front court issues are sorted.
who are these "people"? drummond is the right fit for our team. we need a mobile shot blocker next to cuz. he has all the tools to do that. the fact that he is a man child 270 with freakish athleticism with a high ceiling was a no brainer to take. we ended up with the undersized forward that can't shoot who was supposedly nba ready.

I like what I see from him, but 44% from the FT line? oof. That's DeAndre Jordan territory

edit to add: Drummond shot .371 from the line this last year.

Last edited:
Well this is interesting. Comparing the predraft measurements of Adams to Drummond:

Drummond:
Height w/o shoes: 6' 9.75"
Weight: 279
Wingspan: 7' 6.25"
Standing Reach: 9' 1.5"
Max Vert: 33.5"
Body Fat: 7.5
Bench Press: 10

Adams:
Height w/o shoes: 6' 10.75"
Weight: 255
Wingspan: 7' 4.5"
Standing Reach: 9' 1.5"
Max Vert: 33"
Body Fat: 6.7
Bench Press: 16

Last edited:
I like Adams potential quite a bit, and as of this writing (and the past few weeks) it's starting to look like Adams is the #1 guy I'd want the Kings to draft based on who I think will be available.

I'd rather have Noel, McLemore, Porter, Len, or Oladipo but that is looking like the top 5.

I'd take MCW or McCollum and be ok with it, but Adams is my favorite guy for this team right now. I hope we bring him in for a workout.