Kings Week in Review: Week 1

What will the Kings record be after next week? (@Hawks, @Heat, @Orlando, @Bucks)

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
kingsfans.com presents:

Kings Week in Review, Week 1

By Stephen Tetsu, KingsFans.com Japan Correspondent

Hello Kings fans and welcome to another season of Kings basketball!

It's been a long road but Golden 1 Center is now open for business, half of the roster is brand new, and the media doesn't think we suck anymore. (Okay, that last one have been made up.) The point is the 2016-2017 NBA season is now well underway and things are thus far beginning to look up for our beloved royalty.

Then again, considering where we came from (the bottom of the bottom of the bottom of the barren bottom of rock bottom), anything aside from nuclear oblivion could be considered a positive. I mean, think about it. Five years ago, the Maloofs were in charge, actively torpedoing any efforts to build a connection with the city of Sacramento, hiring only a skeleton crew of staff, cutting corners and costs, drafting Jimmer in order to make a few more bucks before a presumed move to Anaheim/Virginia Beach/Seattle/anywhere-but-Sacramento-really. Things were rough. Paul Westphal was our coach. Jason Thompson was our starting power forward. Arco Arena, as much as we all loved that place, was already well past its prime, mismatched seats, scoreboard from the seventies, dusty jerseys in the rafters all belying the fact that all the critics were right. This was no home fit for an NBA franchise, let alone Kings. Sacramento needed a new arena.

People cried. KJ worked his ass off. The Maloofs looked for new ways to fund their cake-flavored vodka business. Seattle got a little greedy. Whales made their way up Business 80 to settle in Downtown Plaza. It was sort of a big deal.

And, when all the dust settled, a new arena we got, a spectacular one at that. While reportedly being as loud and rowdy as the old barn in Natomas, the new place also reportedly sports walkable concourses, bathrooms that actually work, and, I'm told, a scoreboard you can actually see.

Now, having now ventured back to the states for the past three years now, I've yet to have seen the place in person but I am sure that it is glorious. Full disclosure, back when I was a wee college student, I was privileged to be a part of Crown Downtown, a group who I'm sure you know give it all it had to do its part to get the damn building built. Also full disclosure, I was a relatively lazy part of Crown Downtown. Sure, I went to city council meetings and games and stuff but compared to the real movers and shakers, I did nothing. Those people donated countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears. A lot of those people also happen to help run this forum. The Golden 1 Center is a testament to their hardwork and many others. Mike, Jesse, Ron, Lynne, and anyone else I’m forgetting (and there are many of you), thank you.

PS, that opener was money.

The Team

Boogie- MVP

Rudy- Still on the team.

Kosta- Still on the team. Still good at defense. Still can’t jump.

Afflalo- Still on the team?

Lawson- Someone keep him out of the clubs in Miami.

Barnes- Suddenly an all-star.

Temple- Doug Christie.

Ben- Jamal Crawford or Orien Greene. There is apparently no middle ground.

WCS- Disappointing. Offseason ended a month ago, pal.

Tolliver- Thinks he can shoot like Curry. Currently shooting like Deandre.

Omri- Bench.

The Kids- Mateen.

Joerger- COY

Awards Time
After three games, here’s what I saw.

Tony Delk Memorial Award: Dewayne Dedmon. Dedmon is by no means a bad player but the Kings made him look like a potential DPOY candidate against the Spurs. I mean, four blocks in 22 minutes is great any way you look at it.

Shareef Abdur-Rahim Award: Pau Gasol. Never looked comfortable out there for the Spurs and Boogie absolutely punished him when Pau wasn’t on the bench sulking.

Luke Walton Vacuum Cleaner Award: Tony Parker. Outplayed by Patty Mills. Outplayed by Ty Lawson. Outplayed by Garrett Temple. Outplayed by some kid playing pick-up ball in Oak Park. Has age finally caught up to the French Flash?

Mikki Award: Devin Booker. HAd a great rookie season and followed that up in his season debut by getting super-duper cheered for while bricking shots and altogether not really having much of an impact.

Jason Hart/Andres Nocioni/Marco Bellinelli Award: WCS. Not a great start to the season as he struggles to do anything on offense and not be outrebounded by point guards and shooting guards.

WTF Moment of the Week: Kawhi steals B-Mac’s lunch money not once but twice in a row.

Coming up:
After starting the season off with the San Antonio sandwich, the Kings now get to take the show on the road courtesy of NBA schedule makers who still apparently have it out for a franchise that hasn’t even sniffed the postseason since Ron Artest was still Ron Artest and SAR still had knees.

Monday: To start off the trip, we have the Atlanta Hawks, a team that had, to say the least, a puzzling offseason. After several competitive years with a solid veteran team, the Hawks decided to change things up by getting rid of some of those vets and replacing them with, uh, different players. Al “Better than Boogie” Horford is gone, replaced by a faberge egg version of Dwight Howard, a guy who Boogie has absolutely eaten for dinner over the past several seasons. Jeff Teague is gone, Dennis Schroder stepping up to take his place (and accept a rather expensive extension). Tim Hardaway, the new one not the old one, is also playing a bigger role this season and the Hawks remain one of the better coached teams in the league. Boogie remains better than anyone on their roster though.

Tuesday: The following night, the Kings head to South Beach and take on the “new look” (i.e all the good players from a few years ago are gone) Miami Heat, featuring Hassan Whiteside, Tragic Dragic, and Justise Winslow. They’re rumored to want Rudy. If they give us Winslow, I say yes. Pat Riley already establishing a firm future for his guys but that Dragic trade with the Suns handicaps him here for a few years. (You think our pick swap is bad?)

Thursday: Then, after a night off in Miami (someone keep Ty Lawson from doing something stupid), we play the Orlando Magic, a sudden player in the worst team in the league sweepstakes. Frank Vogel is a good coach but that roster is drunk and Aaron Gordon probably isn’t a SF which makes starting him there a problem. Ibaka also not looking so great now that Russ and KD aren’t there to get him easy shots.

Saturday: After that the Kings skip up to Milwaukee to face the Bucks in a battle of teams that Seattle wanted to have but couldn’t. The Bucks are, erm, interesting. Giannis is starting at point guard and putting up solid numbers while still struggling with the whole point guard part of things. Parker’s still been solid but I’m still not all that confident in Jason Kidd’s actual ability to coach.

Road trips are never easy but all the games are at the very least “winnable” and there’s not a single team on the schedule this week that would make me go “Oh, that’s a loss”. But it’s a road trip so we’ll just have to see how Joerger’s squad does.

This week’s prediction? 3-1. Boogie does Boogie things.

Go Kings!

I think if the games were at Golden 1, I'd predict the Kings to go 3-1. However, my general rule of thumb for road stretches is to predict 1 game worse than what it should be. Therefore , on a neutral site or at home I'd predict the Kings to go 3-1 or even 4-0 if Afflalo and Tolliver could shoot well. Instead, I'll take 2-2. But hey, 4-3 is pretty great to get one game away from DC's return.

I doubt we win vs the Hawks, but I can see us beating the 3 other teams. Miami has no Wade or Bosh, the Magic are an awkward bunch, and the Bucks are young.

We have ATL/MIA on a back to back. We need to handle our business against the Hawks. MIA still has Whiteside, Dragic, Winslow and coach Spo. Neither will be easy and we are going to know a little better how we are going to handle it when things get tough by the end of this 5 game road trip.

Ante up and kick in or fold early? I picked 5-2 and hope I am right. 6-1 will be ok though if we can muster true grit.

Magic and Bucks are struggling to figure out new reality (new players and coach and no Midds respectively), so they are there for the taking. Hawks are still east coast elite, and Miami is hungry, plus it will be a 2nd night of b-to-b, so 2-2 would be a fine result, 3-1 would be great for a road trip.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I think that coming out of a 4 game road trip going 2-2 would be acceptable given the circumstances (team still trying to implement new offense, a back-to-back including Miami time, no Collison, Barnes hurting, etc.). Love to see 3-1 or better! Like lwc said, though, always harder on the road.....

And, of course, great to have Tetsujin putting some threads together again - I really missed it.

One looks at the Hawks roster and one notices that they have 1 entire point guard/ball handler on the team. If we get Schroeder in foul trouble the hawks wont be good enough to breathe our farts.

Glad to see the Atlanta game as the first game. The most serious threat still, and with Temple and AA I fell better about Korver. Gives us an opportunity to set the tone for the whole trip.

Also get the Bucks w/o Middleton.

I can't see us doing worse than 2-2. Could honestly see it possible to win every game.

3-1 is my wager.

2-2 given our last 10 year history on the road would be great. We would sit at 4-3 and that's just fine with me. We would be one game away from getting Collison back which is huge. Gives us 2 playmakers and strengthens our bench no matter who starts.

I think if the games were at Golden 1, I'd predict the Kings to go 3-1. However, my general rule of thumb for road stretches is to predict 1 game worse than what it should be. Therefore , on a neutral site or at home I'd predict the Kings to go 3-1 or even 4-0 if Afflalo and Tolliver could shoot well. Instead, I'll take 2-2. But hey, 4-3 is pretty great to get one game away from DC's return.
I made my original prediction without knowing about Middleton. Now, to me, 2-2 seems like a worst case scenario. I still predict it because I like to "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" but I am feeling more confident about a 3-1 road trip.

We have a 5th road game against Toronto before coming back to the G1C. Also, didn't we have some issues with the ATL/MIA B2B last season? Cousins got suspended for the Miami game after we should have won against the Hawks if I recall correctly. Those two games are pivotal for showing some real growth.

Cousins HAS to realize that getting under his skin is a part of many teams game plans as it was in ATL last season. Can not let them win that way.

dude12

Hall of Famer
With the Atlanta game, we will be able to match up with them. I see Barnes getting lots of PT against Millsap. Between Bazemore and Korver, if they put Bazemore on Gay then Afflalo might be able to take advantage of Korver. But in the end, if Boogie puts it to Howard, then we have a great chance to win.

We have a 5th road game against Toronto before coming back to the G1C. Also, didn't we have some issues with the ATL/MIA B2B last season? Cousins got suspended for the Miami game after we should have won against the Hawks if I recall correctly. Those two games are pivotal for showing some real growth.

Cousins HAS to realize that getting under his skin is a part of many teams game plans as it was in ATL last season. Can not let them win that way.
Unless its the Spurs, maybe Clippers, Warriors, Cavs

I'm not too concerned with the previous blues with teams like Atlanta for example considering our roster changes.

Think we're a different team.

Unless its the Spurs, maybe Clippers, Warriors, Cavs

I'm not too concerned with the previous blues with teams like Atlanta for example considering our roster changes.

Think we're a different team.
I agree we are. I am more just referencing my favorite players propensity for letting opponents take him out of his game.;)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
With the Atlanta game, we will be able to match up with them. I see Barnes getting lots of PT against Millsap. Between Bazemore and Korver, if they put Bazemore on Gay then Afflalo might be able to take advantage of Korver. But in the end, if Boogie puts it to Howard, then we have a great chance to win.
Given how much he was hurting, I don't know that Barnes may be capable of lots of PT against anyone. I hope he's OK, and he's a tough sucker, but they may need to rest him more per game or even hold him out on occasion to help heal up a bit. Hopefully some of these games go our way early and Barnes can get some R&R instead of playing.....

I'm continuing my optimism with this BRAND NEW KINGS TEAM, the likes we haven't seen in over 10 years. (i.e. one where FO, coach, AND players all want to win at the same time).

I predicted 6-0, but the Spurs didn't gift us one (instead, played as hard as they could) but I'll hope they make up for it and go 6-1.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have missed your game threads. It's very good to see you back. I'm confident the Kings will help do their part to ensure you stay.

#SacramentoProud #ILoveThisTeam #GoKings

It looked like there was a lot of empty seats at Golden 1 for the MN game. Does anyone know if it was sold out?
They were talking about this on the Kings broadcast. It was said that because there are so many places for people to go to at the ends of quarters/half that it takes a couple of minutes for everyone to sit back down.

Ryan

I like turtles
They were talking about this on the Kings broadcast. It was said that because there are so many places for people to go to at the ends of quarters/half that it takes a couple of minutes for everyone to sit back down.
A likely excuse. Kidding, I'm sure it was sold out.