Kings want George Karl to resign!

Link from Sactown Royalty--> http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/3/25/11305338/sacramento-kings-want-george-karl-to-resign

Sample:

"According to Sandy Clough of Denver’s 104.3 The Fan, in an appearance on the Colorado Sports Guys Podcast, the Sacramento Kings have made multiple attempts to get George Karl to resign at various points throughout the season."

I don't know about anyone else but I have been hoping Karl would step down ever since i watched his defensive switching nightmare fail repeatedly with his small ball lineups:eek:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
A lot of us had the notion that this might be the case. It looks better than just our right firing the coach, I guess? it's all moot now, Karl didn't have to do this franchise any favors, he is taking money from Vivek.

The panic hire at the end of last season was one of the stranger things you'll ever see. Felt like an enormous mistake at the time and that's certainly the way it's gone. What was the point? Never understood that, still don't, never will. Don't want an explanation. I got them at the time and none of it made sense then either. Time to get familiar with the players who wouldn't be here or something like that? Early training camp?

He did call DWill a coke machine. Probably the highlight of Karl's time here.

At least last year counted as year 1 of his contract. Only 2 to go if they decide they're too cheap to fire him.

It's amazing the deja vu this franchise goes through. Even with multiple owners, the same mistakes over and over and over. Bill Russell, Dick Motta, now Karl. 3 highly successful coaches who accomplished nothing here. All over the hill too. Let's not do this again with another formerly great coach just looking to steal money.

1 coach in 31 years got this franchise to .500. It's really amazing when you think about it.

I try not to.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The panic hire at the end of last season was one of the stranger things you'll ever see. Felt like an enormous mistake at the time and that's certainly the way it's gone. What was the point? Never understood that, still don't, never will. Don't want an explanation. I got them at the time and none of it made sense then either. Time to get familiar with the players who wouldn't be here or something like that.

He did call DWill a coke machine. Probably the highlight of Karl's time here.

It's amazing the deja vu this franchise goes through. Even with multiple owners, the same mistakes over and over and over. Bill Russell, Dick Motta, now Karl. 3 highly successful coaches who accomplished nothing here.

1 coach in 31 years got this franchise to .500. It's really amazing when you think about it.

I try not to.
The truth hurts sometimes. Reality has set in. Acceptance is the next stage in the grievance process.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Link from Sactown Royalty--> http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2016/3/25/11305338/sacramento-kings-want-george-karl-to-resign

Sample:

"According to Sandy Clough of Denver’s 104.3 The Fan, in an appearance on the Colorado Sports Guys Podcast, the Sacramento Kings have made multiple attempts to get George Karl to resign at various points throughout the season."

I don't know about anyone else but I have been hoping Karl would step down ever since i watched his defensive switching nightmare fail repeatedly with his small ball lineups:eek:
If he resigns he loses his $$$, which is why he's doing everything but taking on dump on Vivek's shoes to get fired. He gets fired, he still gets the loot.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If he resigns he loses his $$$, which is why he's doing everything but taking on dump on Vivek's shoes to get fired. He gets fired, he still gets the loot.
Of course and now it makes it very difficult to blame the players for this lousy year. They knew what was going on. Now, if the team fires him at the end of this season they will owe him $6 mil. If they had fired him in the middle of the season, they would have owed him $8 mil. This organization, most recently valued at around $925 million, thought it best not to fire him midseason because it would have cost them an extra $2 mil. As a fan who watched this demoralized team play, I think they screwed the fans over what? $2 mil?

If they had unloaded him and let anyone coach the last half, I would have understood even if the team continued to suck.

Last edited:
There is plenty of blame to go around here. People want to trash Karl but it is more on the front office.

Cousins expressed his feelings about Karl before they hired him. But they hired him anyway. And gave him guaranteed money. After they hired Karl the relationship Cousins and Karl soured quickly. When Karl tried to change the situation he was publicly embarrassed. Vlade was brought in to make everyone get along. So Karl started the season with no authority. He may have tried to make the best of it or not. I have no idea what his motives are. Then the team tried fire fire him. That was another big mistake because they did not do it and it was a public fiasco. Who on the team is going to listen to a dead man walking.

On the other side... Why did Karl sign a four year contract with a really bad knee and other health problems? Why did the Kings give him Guaranteed money?

On the other side... Why did Karl sign a four year contract with a really bad knee and other health problems?
That's easy. Anyone would take the money, whether they knew they would make it to season 4. You'd be stupid not to.
Why did the Kings give him Guaranteed money?
Well, that one's not so easy. You'd be stupid to guarantee so many years.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If you read that...yeah maybe, maybe not. The dude reporting it doesn't seem to have any special knowledge, other than of course being a likely Nuggets partisan. I suppose that Karl might have used him for his normal games, but just as likely this is just a sort of 'its common knowledge that/its obvious that" sort of report. And really, why wouldn't it be? Might not be realistic, but I am sure that any owner who knew he was going to fire a coach would love if the coach just resigned and saved him the money. Then you get clever and try to heat things up for him. Fire a favorite assistant coach maybe. Start pouring hot chili pepper sauce down his Depends when he's not looking. You know, standard tactics.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If you read that...yeah maybe, maybe not. The dude reporting it doesn't seem to have any special knowledge, other than of course being a likely Nuggets partisan. I suppose that Karl might have used him for his normal games, but just as likely this is just a sort of 'its common knowledge that/its obvious that" sort of report. And really, why wouldn't it be? Might not be realistic, but I am sure that any owner who knew he was going to fire a coach would love if the coach just resigned and saved him the money. Then you get clever and try to heat things up for him. Fire a favorite assistant coach maybe. Start pouring hot chili pepper sauce down his Depends when he's not looking. You know, standard tactics.
Or increase the pressure by announcing the introduction of "Open Cary Wednesdays in STA"

So to try to save some money they throw away the second half of the season, further alienate your players, and put out a crap product for your fans. Sounds great.

If it can be proven that he's not holding up his end of the contract, I wonder what legal options the team has to terminate the contract. Has a coach ever had a contract terminated for medical reasons? That would be covered by insurance, I'm assuming.

Bricklayer

If it can be proven that he's not holding up his end of the contract, I wonder what legal options the team has to terminate the contract. Has a coach ever had a contract terminated for medical reasons? That would be covered by insurance, I'm assuming.
Be a nearly impossible case to prove. He's showing up, well not on his optional practice days. Still, he's showing up, filling out a few lineup cards, whatever. He's going to get paid, so just quit being ridiculous, suck it up, and do it. its like dilly dallying with a bandaid or something. Just pull the damn thing off,

Be a nearly impossible case to prove. He's showing up, well not on his optional practice days. Still, he's showing up, filling out a few lineup cards, whatever. He's going to get paid, so just quit being ridiculous, suck it up, and do it. its like dilly dallying with a bandaid or something. Just pull the damn thing off,
I agree. He should be gone no matter the cost. Get it done. "Fail quickly" as Vivek likes to say.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of course and now it makes it very difficult to blame the players for this lousy year. They knew what was going on. Now, if the team fires him at the end of this season they will owe him $6 mil. If they had fired him in the middle of the season, they would have owed him $8 mil. This organization, most recently valued at around $925 million, thought it best not to fire him midseason because it would have cost them an extra $2 mil. As a fan who watched this demoralized team play, I think they screwed the fans over what? $2 mil?

If they had unloaded him and let anyone coach the last half, I would have understood even if the team continued to suck.
I agree with all of that.

It's almost over now. I'll still be here next year and I know you will be too, along with a whole lot of Kings fans. I don't know where George Karl will be, but as long as he's not here I don't really care.

He's no longer getting to live rent free in my head. I evicted him.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Does it make a difference if we fire him now (or at the All-Star Break) as opposed to during the off-season? Either way he collects his $$$ right?
Yes.

It will just cost a few hundred thousand more. It also may buy back some trust of some fans, especially me. When I heard this, a lot of inexplicable items seemed to make sense. Of course Nancy Lieberman is reporting to Vivek. Of course Karl has shunned her. This is what a few Kings players were referring to when they said there were problems up the food chain. It might even explain why the team fairly suddenly fell apart. What would not make sense now is to let this bastard to continue in his present tole. Unless this story is absolutely wrong, telling the truth is the way to go forward. The truth needs to come from a certain Vivek Ranadive.

Then Karl can, if he wishes, explain why he did not resign. If it all boils down to the money he would lose, we, as fans, would have a measure of his character.

Perhaps all the gory details are not necessary - I don't know.

VF21, well put.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Does it make a difference if we fire him now (or at the All-Star Break) as opposed to during the off-season? Either way he collects his $$$ right?
Makes some difference to our rep. Media castigates us anyway, but when it comes time to hire the next coach the more we can do to separate ourselves from "have three different coaches in a year' impulsiveness, the better.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Makes some difference to our rep. Media castigates us anyway, but when it comes time to hire the next coach the more we can do to separate ourselves from "have three different coaches in a year' impulsiveness, the better.
I'm not sure it would be any worse to our rep to do what we are doing. We have kept a coach long past the point where we could have made the playoffs and it seems that the players know of all this mess. Casspi and Boogie have mentioned some ill defined problems with the FO. I think we look foolish for having 1) hired him in the first place and 2) kept him even when it seemed his approach was detrimental to the team.

It's all a bit of crap as far as I'm concerned. Should we keep him another year to protect our rep? How about the next two years? There's no good answer. I wonder how often teams ask their coach to resign because they couldn't afford to fire him. That's where we sit right now.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure it would be any worse to our rep to do what we are doing. We have kept a coach long past the point where we could have made the playoffs and it seems that the players know of all this mess. Casspi and Boogie have mentioned some ill defined problems with the FO. I think we look foolish for having 1) hired him in the first place and 2) kept him even when it seemed his approach was detrimental to the team.

It's all a bit of crap as far as I'm concerned. Should we keep him another year to protect our rep? How about the next two years? There's no good answer. I wonder how often teams ask their coach to resign because they couldn't afford to fire him. That's where we sit right now.
To answer your last question, the answer for me is hell no, we don't keep him. I'll put it this way, we keep Karl, and it's hello Warriors for me. Their my old team, and I have no problem going back to them. I don't want to, but I will not sit through another year of George Karl. I doubt that Cousins will either. I'm not sure we look foolish for having hired him to begin with. Regardless of what we think about Karl, most of the national media still think of him as a HOF coach. I doubt much, if any blame will be laid at Karl's feet if and when we do let him go. It'll be looked at as yet another screw up by our organization. We need to swallow the bitter pill and move on.

I've written about the absurdity of the franchise being cheap and not spending a few million $ when their operating costs are over a hundred million $ multiple times before....

But what's more absurd is that Ailene Voison actually wrote recently that Karl should be moved up to the front office.
Seriously, how stupid and out-of-touch with the organization does she look, if this report is correct?

I cannot believe what Karl said about WCS after that great game. But I absolutely CAN NOT believe what Karl said about Seth Curry only being in the league "a couple of years."

Then Seth posted a smiley face with the same snake emoticon Cousins used. If this organization wants to have ANY clout with not only their players, but other players in the league, they need to fire Karl NOW. Not at the end of the season. NOW.

I'm curious why Karl would put himself through this? Does he need the money? That's hard to believe at this point in his career. I've had many friends with cancer. Typically they develop a lifestyle which reduces stress and maximizes happiness.

I'd like to see a negotiated buyout.

I cannot believe what Karl said about WCS after that great game. But I absolutely CAN NOT believe what Karl said about Seth Curry only being in the league "a couple of years."

Then Seth posted a smiley face with the same snake emoticon Cousins used. If this organization wants to have ANY clout with not only their players, but other players in the league, they need to fire Karl NOW. Not at the end of the season. NOW.
What did he say?

When asked about Willie's great game he shrugged it off saying it was more about the plays he drew up that got him the buckets. Then like I said, told a reporter that he thinks Seth will be in the league for a "couple of years".

Here's the thing. Whatever amount they are trying to save on Karl's contract by not firing him (let's be real he's not going to quit) is MINISCULE to the amount we'll lose by never being able to draw another free agent here again.

We already conned Koufos and Marco here by selling them on "new management" but it's the same old bs if not worse. They're letting Karl destroy the locker room.

And let's be honest, players talk. You don't think Seth is telling Steph what's going on? You don't think Steph has told all his teammates, who are telling their NBA friends? You don't think Boogie is telling Isiah what's going on? You think that POS Fegan isn't letting all his players know what's up? This will have bigger consequences on our future than most people think.

dude12

Hall of Famer
When asked about Willie's great game he shrugged it off saying it was more about the plays he drew up that got him the buckets. Then like I said, told a reporter that he thinks Seth will be in the league for a "couple of years".

Here's the thing. Whatever amount they are trying to save on Karl's contract by not firing him (let's be real he's not going to quit) is MINISCULE to the amount we'll lose by never being able to draw another free agent here again.

We already conned Koufos and Marco here by selling them on "new management" but it's the same old bs if not worse. They're letting Karl destroy the locker room.

And let's be honest, players talk. You don't think Seth is telling Steph what's going on? You don't think Steph has told all his teammates, who are telling their NBA friends? You don't think Boogie is telling Isiah what's going on? You think that POS Fegan isn't letting all his players know what's up? This will have bigger consequences on our future than most people think.
Wait.....did he say Seth has only been in the league a couple of years or did he say that Seth would only be in the league a couple of years? Big difference