Kings waive Tolliver (merged)

Just a guess but I'd say it's almost a guarantee that they'll keep him unless they somehow wind up with a better veteran at his position.

I think Tolliver is back, unless they need his contract to use as an expiring contract (with a small buyout, like Afflalo contract) for a salary dump to get draft picks or a better veteran in return.

Everyone seems hellbent on getting rid of the few veterans this team has left. Look at this potential roster next year

WCS/Koufus/Papagiannis
Skal/Tolliver
Temple
Buddy/Malachi/Afflalo
??/??

9 players. Now add 2 or 3 rookies (2 firsts and a second), Bogdan (fingers crossed), and Galloway ($5.4 million player option). Thats 14 players and only 3 of them have more than 3 years NBA experience. I get that ideally you would replace one vet with another but i would elect Afflalo to be that vet far before Tolliver.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
what good is the cap space if you use it on players like Tolliver?
Alternately, what good is the cap space if you don't use it and end up having to pay up to the minimum salary? Tolliver would be on a one-year deal, not too expensive, and he's a great character guy who can provide the dreaded veteran leadership. We're going to have a ton of kids on the team next year any way you slice it, and I don't mind one bit having Tolliver around. If there's a good reason that we need that money, then fine, we can part with him. But otherwise, I'd like to see him stick around.

I agree with the general consensus since the Kings will be loaded with young players. Players like Temple, Koufos and Tolliver are like assistant coaches on the floor AND bench. I also would not mind seeing Collison and /or Lawson back. Though I suspect one or both may not be back depending on which PG's are brought in thru the draft and as a FA. I'm still hoping to see Milos Teodosic and Fox/Smith in a Kings Uni. I'm also curious how I. Cousins will look in SL after a season as a Pro in Reno.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Alternately, what good is the cap space if you don't use it and end up having to pay up to the minimum salary? Tolliver would be on a one-year deal, not too expensive, and he's a great character guy who can provide the dreaded veteran leadership. We're going to have a ton of kids on the team next year any way you slice it, and I don't mind one bit having Tolliver around. If there's a good reason that we need that money, then fine, we can part with him. But otherwise, I'd like to see him stick around.
I too don't mind Tolliver sticking around. I was simply pointing out what good is all that cap space when only players like Tolliver, Koufos, Temple are willing to come here because they know they may get more playing time than anywhere else? Unless the Kings trade for draft picks and/or youth to absorb another teams big contract, I'd be fine not making many moves and retaining the guys from last season, sans Afflalo.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yep, they get more cap $. Afflalo will probably be next. Kings are going to be in excellent cap position to make deals. This could really come into play in the draft.

Love AT, but it's the right rebuilding move. I trust the Joerger can keep the locker room intact and we need to make moves that give us the most ability to add talent. Hopefully, he lands on a team where he can get to the playoffs.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yep, they get more cap $. Afflalo will probably be next. Kings are going to be in excellent cap position to make deals. This could really come into play in the draft.
Afflalo will be "cuttable" trade bait for draft day deals, as his guarantee date is a few days after the draft. But if we don't use him to acquire a bad contract and some goodies during the draft, we will definitely cut him ourselves.

But barring picking up a bad deal, right now I have trouble seeing us hit the salary floor this year. Would have liked to have seen Tolliver stay.

Color me surprised by this move. Like Capt has pointed out in this thread and others, we have to get to salary floor one way or another, so if not Tolliver it has to be someone else. We won't get there with a whole team of rookies and 2nd/3rd year players. I assume Afflalo gets waived and or traded also. That leaves Koufus and Temple as the only "vets." I guess we could be looking to keep one of Collison or Lawson.

I'm not even sure what players are available in FA this year but history shows they won't be coming here. I just don't want to see us throw big $ at middling vets.

Hopefully this is just a move to give us more wiggle room for draft day deals to get the players we want.

Or maybe we're just clearing $ to max out Mclemore :p