[Game] Kings v. Thunder - 1/15/17 - 6PT/9ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told that record aside, last year's team was bad because the team kept digging itself into big holes and also Karl didn't develop young players well and our defense gave up way too many open 3s. So we've changed to a defensive-minded coach, added stable winning vets and err. We dig ourselves in into big holes, play young players even less minutes than last year and still give up too many 3s. #KANGZ

K

KingMilz

I was told that record aside, last year's team was bad because the team kept digging itself into big holes and also Karl didn't develop young players well and our defense gave up way too many open 3s. So we've changed to a defensive-minded coach, added stable winning vets and err. We dig ourselves in into big holes, play young players even less minutes than last year and still give up too many 3s. #KANGZ
but we are playing at a slower PACE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lopes

He does. The problem is instead of making players like Tony Parker or Manu Ginobli better, he stuck trying make way past his prime Matt Barnes and Ben McLemore better.
He gives plenty of assists (turnovers) to the other team. Leads the team.

L

Lopes

This would mean only 13 more wins this season. I will quit watching basketball for the rest of the season and try to find decent cricket matches. I do not watch playoff games that we are not involved in. I've seen too many like them.
Idk I enjoyed the Kings v Utah back in the day.but I don't think we have to worry about making playoffs.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Man, that Demarcus Cousins dude really blows.

Players who averaged over 25 ppg, 10 rpg, 4 apg, 1 bpg in a season:
Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 12.36.00 AM.png

Boogie's the first dude to be doing it since C-Webb did it way back in 2001. Kareem (the fact he did this four times in his career just shows you how much of a monster he was in his day), the Admiral, the Mailman, McAdoo, and Larry Legend. Not exactly a bad list of players, I believe.

(Also, looking at his TOV numbers in that context, he's not exactly some sort of turnover monster as some people would have you believe.)

Man, that Demarcus Cousins dude really blows.

Players who averaged over 25 ppg, 10 rpg, 4 apg, 1 bpg in a season:
View attachment 6234

Boogie's the first dude to be doing it since C-Webb did it way back in 2001. Kareem (the fact he did this four times in his career just shows you how much of a monster he was in his day), the Admiral, the Mailman, McAdoo, and Larry Legend. Not exactly a bad list of players, I believe.

(Also, looking at his TOV numbers in that context, he's not exactly some sort of turnover monster as some people would have you believe.)
Mac's Ultimate Guide to being a Kings fan for next 10 years

Step 1: Team wins 30 games
Step 2: Complain about how Kings org sucks, how Cousins deserves better and how he's a HOF player, pointing out his individual stats.
Step 3: Hire new coach
Step 4: Say we're gonna make the playoffs with new good coach and turn things around. Cousins still HOF player, point out his individual stats.
Step 5: Team wins 30 games
Step 6: Complain about how Kings org sucks, how Cousins deserves better and plays with a bunch of scrubs
Step 7: Add new players to roster
Step 8: Say we're gonna make the playoffs with new good players and turn things around. Cousins still HOF player, point out his individual stats.
Step 9: Team wins 30 games
Step 10: Cite need for patience, how culture is changing and it takes time
Step 11: Team wins 30 games
Step 12: Complain about how Kings org sucks, how Cousins deserves better and how he's a HOF player, pointing out his individual stats and comparing them (and his techs) to players who by this point have made the Finals multiple times
Step 13: Hire new GM

Repeat until Cousins retires and sing his praises because he is so loyal and we don't deserve him, frankly.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The Karl fanboys coming back. Anyone sticking up for Karl and even remotely trying to defend last season is bitter and doesn't want to understand what is going on here. In Joerger's lengthy 35 some odd career games with Sac, he is trying to take an uneven roster and a bunch of role playing guys and compete hard every night. Said so himself that it's a year and a half process and more about the process than the wins. The second best player on the roster doesn't even want to be there. The PG has lost his game along the way and looks like he wants to follow Rudy out the door. The team as a whole though, competes every night. They compete and don't give up. This is the accomplishment to date....could change but I don't think it will. Joerger's the right guy. Karl couldn't even get out of his first Summer before alienating his one star player who he wanted to trade for an old PG(Lawson) and an undersized, overpaid energy guy(Faried). Karl effed it up so bad. Not unusual for players to tune out a head coach when they don't believe in him or his system but Karl probably set a record for how early a team tunes out a coach, who quite frankly probably was collecting his paycheck and didn't give a eff.

K

KingsFan80

Hilarious and spot on...and the coaches only get 1-2 years to prove themselves, while apparently the FO gets 10 years for "stability" lol

The talent level feels about the same as last year's, only difference is Karl killed Cousin's feet and his trust. Unfortunately we have been going backwards (in terms of respectability) ever since Vivek took over.
So now this year is all about getting the league's respect so we can sign that one FA guy who will put us over the edge. Then maybe we convince one of Cousin's friends from the Olympics or something to come over. Don't forget he is making a lot of connections.

The play on the court looks the same because our talent level is the same. The key difference is the team won't give up after the all star break because our coach isn't an butthead.

Mac's Ultimate Guide to being a Kings fan for next 10 years

Step 1: Team wins 30 games
Step 2: Complain about how Kings org sucks, how Cousins deserves better and how he's a HOF player, pointing out his individual stats.
Step 3: Hire new coach
Step 4: Say we're gonna make the playoffs with new good coach and turn things around. Cousins still HOF player, point out his individual stats.
Step 5: Team wins 30 games
Step 6: Complain about how Kings org sucks, how Cousins deserves better and plays with a bunch of scrubs
Step 7: Add new players to roster
Step 8: Say we're gonna make the playoffs with new good players and turn things around. Cousins still HOF player, point out his individual stats.
Step 9: Team wins 30 games
Step 10: Cite need for patience, how culture is changing and it takes time
Step 11: Team wins 30 games
Step 12: Complain about how Kings org sucks, how Cousins deserves better and how he's a HOF player, pointing out his individual stats and comparing them (and his techs) to players who by this point have made the Finals multiple times
Step 13: Hire new GM

Repeat until Cousins retires and sing his praises because he is so loyal and we don't deserve him, frankly.
That is a pretty accurate guide.

I may also add: Do not support the only other really good draft pick of the past 10 years because he is too short, dribbles too much and shoots too much. Let him walk for nothing and replace him with a traditional, pass first PG because that will fit our personal much better.

K

KingsFan80

The talent level feels about the same as last year's, only difference is Karl killed Cousin's feet and his trust. Unfortunately we have been going backwards (in terms of respectability) ever since Vivek took over.
So now this year is all about getting the league's respect so we can sign that one FA guy who will put us over the edge. Then maybe we convince one of Cousin's friends from the Olympics or something to come over. Don't forget he is making a lot of connections.

The play on the court looks the same because our talent level is the same. The key difference is the team won't give up after the all star break because our coach isn't an butthead.
Joerger is an excellent coach and WILL win here if the FO does their job to help him get players. People just need to remember, when you are taking draft picks like last year and expecting results in 3-4 years, then he needs "patience"

Still the best big man in the league
Many of us would agree. However, many of us don't really care. We are a simple minded folk who really only care about 1 thing - wins. Until the Kings find out a way to produce wins we will be unhappy and likely complain a lot.

K

KingsFan80

That is a pretty accurate guide.

I may also add: Do not support the only other really good draft pick of the past 10 years because he is too short, dribbles too much and shoots too much. Let him walk for nothing and replace him with a traditional, pass first PG because that will fit our personal much better.
Also -- Your turn to pick during the NBA Draft then instead of taking the obvious pick, which 31 out of 32 teams would do, ALWAYS take the worst option or strategy

The Karl fanboys coming back. Anyone sticking up for Karl and even remotely trying to defend last season is bitter and doesn't want to understand what is going on here. In Joerger's lengthy 35 some odd career games with Sac, he is trying to take an uneven roster and a bunch of role playing guys and compete hard every night. Said so himself that it's a year and a half process and more about the process than the wins. The second best player on the roster doesn't even want to be there. The PG has lost his game along the way and looks like he wants to follow Rudy out the door. The team as a whole though, competes every night. They compete and don't give up. This is the accomplishment to date....could change but I don't think it will. Joerger's the right guy. Karl couldn't even get out of his first Summer before alienating his one star player who he wanted to trade for an old PG(Lawson) and an undersized, overpaid energy guy(Faried). Karl effed it up so bad. Not unusual for players to tune out a head coach when they don't believe in him or his system but Karl probably set a record for how early a team tunes out a coach, who quite frankly probably was collecting his paycheck and didn't give a eff.
I bring up last season as a comparison marker. You know, similar team and organization minus the coach. I didn't care for Karl and his raspy musings at the post-games on the radio, nor the team play last year, but "accomplishment" this year? Common....they are about to fall further behind last year's squad in standings. And ultimately its more about wins. You know, results. You can think and believe they have the right coach whom players believe more in, but when they win less games it doesn't amount to much. They aren't executing, and it's not really about the coach - its about the player personnel. Luke Walton came in for Kerr last year and the Warriors as they went 38-3 or whatever - and now Walton is 15-30 for the Lakers - either way he wasn't going to drastically change results. I wouldn't put too much into coaching. Compete every night and dont give up, but another 1-5 homestand this season will probably sink this team's small playoff chances 6-feet under. The worst scenario for this team would be winning 34 games, not making the playoffs, and losing their draft pick. I'm in the tank and blow-up camp while if necessary trading Cousins. 10 losing seasons+.....

dude12

Hall of Famer
Many of us would agree. However, many of us don't really care. We are a simple minded folk who really only care about 1 thing - wins. Until the Kings find out a way to produce wins we will be unhappy and likely complain a lot.
It's frustrating but I was responding directly to a specific post on that quote. I get the frustrations on lack of winning. But I feel like we got competent people in place and now need to add and develop the roster more each year.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think to avoid another 10 seasons of losing, we avoid the trade Cousins option. Somehow, someway, add a top flight PG to this team. We do that we will win. Getting that PG....don't know.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If you told me the Kings were bringing in a legit talent maestro as GM to direct the draft, I'd give the unequivocal answer of C. But nothing is easy with this organization, not even an answer to your simple question. If Divac retains the ultimate say in the draft, then the picture is much muddier and you're playing darts blindfolded.

PS I just "love" the Reynolds comments about the "remarkable" Thunder and Spur drafts, but then he'll follow it up in the next game with comments that make you believe the draft is blind chance and you just have to be lucky. Maybe he can make up his mind on the subject before he turns 80.

that sums it up pretty much. we're halfway through the season and it doesn't look pretty

Status
Not open for further replies.